Scranton Mayor has got some balls

As a native Western Pennsylvanian, it's not easy for me to give props to somebody from the eastern part of PA. But the Mayor of Scranton has got some stones...

Oh, and a warning to EII. Following the below link may cause your head to explode

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/09/political-statemate-leads-to-city-workers-salaries-cut-down-to-minimum-wage-in/

"My members are getting a check for $7.25 an hour. These are people that are the head of their households. They have mortgages. They have other living costs. They are now going to have to throw their bills in a hat and randomly pick what gets paid on time.”

If they can't prioritize their bills, they have bigger issues.

As a native Western Pennsylvanian, it's not easy for me to give props to somebody from the eastern part of PA. But the Mayor of Scranton has got some stones...

Oh, and a warning to EII. Following the below link may cause your head to explode

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/09/political-statemate-leads-to-city-workers-salaries-cut-down-to-minimum-wage-in/

Why? My head won't explode. Not like these pay cuts never happened before. As long as everybody is getting the same pay... Bring it...

If they can't prioritize their bills, they have bigger issues.

Like that is not what was happening already. This just gives them an excuse to default on everything... Use every program imaginable that is out there.

I'd like to know how exactly Scranton got into such a budget mess in the first place. 400 public employees doesn't seem like a budget breaking number for a town of nearly 80,000. Kinda sounds like years of piss poor management by the mayor and city council coming to a head.

If the idiots in that city want to keep electing crooked jerkoffs to run that city's finances into the ground, then they get what they deserve: minimum wage city services.

This is the same type of stupidity in governing that led Buffalo to being ruled by a control board for almost a decade.

[/quot

Dev: where are you hanging your hat, somewhere in the 164** area? Not a true native but have spent a lot of time in the vicinity of Presque Isle.

EiI has no problem with the Mayor. What party does the Mayor belong to? If he had an "R" behind his name EiI would have his panties all in a wad.

Isn't the mayor a republican... ??

And no... I don't have a problem across the board as long as the mayor makes min. wage and has to default on his personal debt too.

One for all, all for one.

I'd like to know how exactly Scranton got into such a budget mess in the first place. 400 public employees doesn't seem like a budget breaking number for a town of nearly 80,000. Kinda sounds like years of piss poor management by the mayor and city council coming to a head.

Was the mayor's salary modest?

Maybe if we start paying people what they do in China, we can start in-sourcing jobs.

Yeah... Just open the borders... Let them flow in...

And no... I don't have a problem across the board as long as the mayor makes min. wage and has to default on his personal debt too.

Didn't you read the article linked in the original post? If you had your questions would be answered. Why should he have to default if he has the money to pay his debts? Is it a fairness issue?

Directly from the article:

Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty cut everyone's pay -- including his own -- on Friday, saying the state's sixth-largest city is broke because the City Council blocked his proposed tax increase.

But what did he cut his down too? Min. wage like everybody else. All kinds of jobs across the board took the hit to minimum... Did his?

Again... No problem with this if evreybody is gonna default on their personal debt... So should the mayor.

If he didn't, that's terrible journalism.

Didn't you read the article linked in the original post? If you had your questions would be answered. Why should he have to default if he has the money to pay his debts? Is it a fairness issue?

Great if everybody has money to cover their debts... But they are cutting people's salary my more than 50% I take. Do people really have that much disposable income they can take a 50% pay cut and not default... More power to them if they do.

I take the mayor was paying himself handsomely prior to the cut... Hence him tolerating the cut.

No?

I did read the article... Not a D or R thing for me.

Take the pay cut and use every single program out there... Hopefully many people use the same bank for their mortgage.

If he didn't, that's terrible journalism.

Trust me... It is more likely terrible journalism. Great for him if he is a position to take min. wage... Maybe his wife works and rakes in big bucks? That is a good thing. For the other people, just default in mass.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Why does the media spin this story ? The Democrat mayor and Democrat city council have apparently been working to raise money for months without success.

The mayor is not acting abruptly, the city does not have the $ to cover payroll, acting responsibly by issuing some pay is better than no pay.

Now the unions are filing suit which will saddle the broke city with legal fees.

Why does the media spin this story ? The Democrat mayor and Democrat city council have apparently been working to raise money for months without success.

The mayor is not acting abruptly, the city does not have the $ to cover payroll, acting responsibly by issuing some pay is better than no pay.

Now the unions are filing suit which will saddle the broke city with legal fees.

I have to agree. The city is broke. Divide the money evenly between all.