My burger recipe

boyst

I do. But every time I try it Chef's way, it falls apart.

I want to know his secret, because if I can avoid adding an egg, I'd like to.

We used to joke in the kitchen that the best way to form a burger patty was to roll them into a ball and flatten them in your armpit.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys will cringe... But I just use frozen patties... I know, I know... Usually the little better ones like black angus or something...

Why? Black angus means absolutely nothing when it comes to beef for burgers. It is what is added and what that cow ate...

Ill catch up on more replies later. Loved the tips LA. I usually figure people know that stuff!

I just moved about 30,000 lbs of beef to a separate Pasture. Im drained.

What does it mean? Angus that is? The wife does the shopping... Oh Lord, I knew we were getting duped!

Funny story... The in-laws go into a meat market... The father-in-law is a man of "few words"... So my mother-in-law immediately blurts out: "Do have quarter hind?" The wife's old man immediately turns around and walks out knowing that his cover was blown and they knew absolutley nothing about buying a "cow." Most of thought he was prime picking to get ripped off! LOL...

Why? Black angus means absolutely nothing when it comes to beef for burgers. It is what is added and what that cow ate...

Ill catch up on more replies later. Loved the tips LA. I usually figure people know that stuff!

I just moved about 30,000 lbs of beef to a separate Pasture. Im drained.

I always got a kick out of the Jack in the Box commercial with the guys in the boardroom, looking at a map of a cow and asking "Which part of the cow is the angus?"

Your moving the cattle reminds of me an old Garth Brooks tune; "I've been all night moving heifers closer into lower ground..."

I like the 70-30 mix. For plain burgers salt and course pepper.

Some times we chop up spinach and will add feta or crumbled blue cheese in to the mix. Some times jack cheese on top.

I am usually of the "simpler is better / salt & pepper only" club when cooking beef especially good beef, but came across a recipe that is a little different but I like it. Done them a few times including yesterday and it's been very well received each time. Roasted chili peppers, some jalapeños and onions all diced to mix in with 80/20 beef. Form some big old patties then use a dry rub that I made from a BBQ cookbook recipe to rub them all down. Get my smoker up around 200-220 with some hickory and a little apple in there and let em go for maybe a little more than an hour. They really end up with a unique flavor from the rub, peppers, and smoke but still are very juicy because if the low heat. I know its a little off the path but I really do like them for a different twist. Just got this smoker a few months ago and doing my first shoulder tomorrow wish me luck!

I always got a kick out of the Jack in the Box commercial with the guys in the boardroom, looking at a map of a cow and asking "Which part of the cow is the angus?"

Your moving the cattle reminds of me an old Garth Brooks tune; "I've been all night moving heifers closer into lower ground..."

Best Jack commercial.

I moved the cows earlier. It can be a pain in the ass. They prefer to move their bowels when they are in the chute and another has their head right behind them. Then, time it just right that when I move behind them they flick their tail and I get me a nice face full of fertilizer. My ExGfOrWhateverSheIsNow was with me and said I smelled a sweet mix of BO, cow sht, cow hair and slime, sweat, and mud. I love hard work.

Angus is a breed right? Has more marbling? I knew it wasn't a "part."

Correct, Angus has more fat then many other continental breeds...but what does that mean for a ground beef burger? If it was a steak it would matter.

The best ground beef is from value cuts - ribeye, sirloin, etc, that have good fat deposits.

The better ground beef you buy is the scrapy parts of beef you buy - the non-steak cuts generally known as value cuts. Brisket, short loin, parts of the flank, etc. These are a little more lean.

The good are the trimmings that are pulled off of little bits of scrap. They might some times mix in bits of fat to help balance the taste and composition.

The average beef cuts you get are the trimmings of other parts of cows, not quite pink slime...but a little bit better.

Your Walmart, Taco Bell, burger joints, and such are often pink slime.

Anugs is popular because of good marketing. In the 90's it was Hereford, in the late 70's and 80's Charolais, in the 2000's it has been Angus. They are a smaller animal, finish up to full size quicker and allow more mature cuts in the animal. It is all economics with these animals and their healthy attributes are not that strong.

My biggest issue is I always buy super lean meat - have tried adding things like olive oil etc. - interested in what people add to have 'normal' moist burger using very lean beef.

Use a cooking tray. My beef is extremely lean and I have the same problem. If I just put it on the grill it falls through. With lean burgers you just have have to take the good with the bad and realize they cook gosh darn fast, too.

I have a double layer cookie sheet I use, I am working on finding a copper sheet and getting a stainless steel sheet the same size and bolting them together to put on my grill.

Edited by jboyst62

Not to mention, ground beef+egg+bread crumbs covered in ketchup = meatloaf.

It's hard to tell what you're doing wrong, but I'd probably start with the fact that you're making very thin patties. You may want to give smashburgers a try. Season your ground beef with salt and paper and roll it into a ball (like a large meatball). Get a cast iron skillet hot and randomly add some butter and diced onions to the pan. Take two or three of balls and just place them on top of the onions/melted butter for about four minutes, then take a spatula with a strong arm and smash the patties flat onto the onions. Let it go for another minute or so, then use the spatula to flip the burgers (with the onions pressed in them), throw cheese on them, cover the pan and cook for another two minutes or so. Take the cover off and slide them on buns. (Remember the mayo rule, especially with these.)

If you screw up a smashburger, then I'd go with hot dogs. :lol:

I'm definitely not making them too thin. And I'm not trying a smashburger...if I can't do a hamburger on the grill, there's no !@#$ing point. I actually do pretty well with a grill, there's only two things I seem to regularly fail at on the grill: hamburgers...

...and friggin' hot dogs. :wallbash:

I am usually of the "simpler is better / salt & pepper only" club when cooking beef especially good beef, but came across a recipe that is a little different but I like it. Done them a few times including yesterday and it's been very well received each time. Roasted chili peppers, some jalapeños and onions all diced to mix in with 80/20 beef. Form some big old patties then use a dry rub that I made from a BBQ cookbook recipe to rub them all down. Get my smoker up around 200-220 with some hickory and a little apple in there and let em go for maybe a little more than an hour. They really end up with a unique flavor from the rub, peppers, and smoke but still are very juicy because if the low heat. I know its a little off the path but I really do like them for a different twist. Just got this smoker a few months ago and doing my first shoulder tomorrow wish me luck!

way too much work for a burger in my opinion..i am simple method as will throw some carmelized onion on there if i got 25 minutes to do the onions. BTW, always cracks me up when i see carmelized onions in a recipre and it has 10 minutes next to it...never been that fast for me.

Good luck on the shoulder..plenty of recipes out there to choose from...i must say I am big on the injections though. That meat gunna be on the smoker for 12 hours, helps to have some added juice in there!

way too much work for a burger in my opinion..i am simple method as will throw some carmelized onion on there if i got 25 minutes to do the onions. BTW, always cracks me up when i see carmelized onions in a recipre and it has 10 minutes next to it...never been that fast for me.

Good luck on the shoulder..plenty of recipes out there to choose from...i must say I am big on the injections though. That meat gunna be on the smoker for 12 hours, helps to have some added juice in there!

You are so correct about the caramelized onions. It takes me about an hour to develop the carmelization on the onions and proper "fond" when making French Onion Soup.

I'm definitely not making them too thin. And I'm not trying a smashburger...if I can't do a hamburger on the grill, there's no !@#$ing point. I actually do pretty well with a grill, there's only two things I seem to regularly fail at on the grill: hamburgers...

...and friggin' hot dogs. :wallbash:

Like another individual has suggested, chill the burgers for a couple of hours so the patties set.