Alight, Let's hear the reasons

Alright I'm expecting this idea to be shot down fairly quickly with the old standby's "He is old", "He Sucks", "Bad for Chemistry", "He's an idiot" ...... and don't get me wrong I think those are legitimate arguments.... But here are my reason for why we should sign Plaxico Burress:

2. The Bills have no receiving threats who fulfill the requirement "he's open even when he's not open". Plaxico is a big guy (6ft.5) who you can throw the ball to when he is covered and Plax will win those 50/50 battles and come down with the ball. He can be used as red zone target,he caught 8TDs last year with Mark Sanchez throwing the ball, Plax will open space for others by drawing doubles near the endzone. Maybe David Nelson fills this role but I think the two can co-exist.
  3. It takes a while to get your legs back after you go to prison. Ask Jamaal Lewis, ask Mike Vick. They each had down years after they returned from prison, mental strain aside it takes a while to get your legs back into elite football shape. Both Jamaal Lewis and Vick rebounded after a year back.
  4. He's won and he's played well in a Superbowl. I can't really think of any Bills who have this qualification....yeh sure Nick Barnett has a ring but he was injured for most of the run and did not dress for the game.
  5. He'll come cheap and be will be motivated. We open the season against the Jet's.... what better way to keep a guy like Plaxico motivated in training camp then a game in NYC against the team that cut him. And if he acts out during the season cut him -- and I don't by the argument that if he is a disruption he'll destroy the Bills season. If the Bills allow a bad character or two to ruin their season, they were never destined for a winning record anyway.
  6. It's not like we'll be cutting someone who will tear the league up. Realistically I think we'll have to keep 6 WR keep so give me Johnson, Nelson, Graham, Jones, Easely and Plaxico. I get that Hagan is a good special teamer, and so could be Ruvell Martin. Yes Clowney has speed to burn. But the reality is these guys are fringe roster players who had chances by other teams and showed that they're marginal NFL players at best. Also someone always gets hurt.

So have at it....

Edited by JuanGuzman

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's open for the league minimum, I'd throw him in camp for some of your reasons. He can most likely with a year under his belt be a decent third down threat and definitely a red zone threat.

He just can't be an every down WR. If we accept a cheap excellent threat with some incentives in place, I agree.

MGK

I have a couple responses that come to mind. For one, we only have space on the roster for so many WR's. Let's assume we keep S. Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Marcus Easley, T.J. Graham, and one from Derek Hagan, Aiken, Roosevelt, Martin, and Session. If you bring in a guy like Plax, you are leaving someone off the team. Some of these recievers are good - maybe they haven't had the chance to show it yet, but these younger guys like Aiken, Roosevelt, and Session have some skills. We can't assume we can just hold these guys on the practice squad without other teams getting interested.

Sure, Plax would fill one role for us very well - the endzone jump ball WR. But, is it worth sacrificing developing a more dynamic WR who will be around for years for that sort of a veteran? We do have TE's, all of which are at least 6-5, and Nelson and Martin are 6-4. So, I think the roster spot is the biggest reason why we don't.

And, maybe this is just an afterthought - but, I think part of the charm of this offense is these young guys are getting a shot here, they are developing, and they are really burning to prove themselves. To me, bringing in a guy like Plax at the expense of one of these younger, more promising WR's, could maybe mess with the chemistry.

Now, if the guy was a little more dynamic, younger, then it would be a different story.

I have a couple responses that come to mind. For one, we only have space on the roster for so many WR's. Let's assume we keep S. Johnson, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Marcus Easley, T.J. Graham, and one from Derek Hagan, Aiken, Roosevelt, Martin, and Session. If you bring in a guy like Plax, you are leaving someone off the team. Some of these recievers are good - maybe they haven't had the chance to show it yet, but these younger guys like Aiken, Roosevelt, and Session have some skills. We can't assume we can just hold these guys on the practice squad without other teams getting interested.

Sure, Plax would fill one role for us very well - the endzone jump ball WR. But, is it worth sacrificing developing a more dynamic WR who will be around for years for that sort of a veteran? We do have TE's, all of which are at least 6-5, and Nelson and Martin are 6-4. So, I think the roster spot is the biggest reason why we don't.

And, maybe this is just an afterthought - but, I think part of the charm of this offense is these young guys are getting a shot here, they are developing, and they are really burning to prove themselves. To me, bringing in a guy like Plax at the expense of one of these younger, more promising WR's, could maybe mess with the chemistry.

Now, if the guy was a little more dynamic, younger, then it would be a different story.

I get that I just don't think anyone will live to regret cutting Hagan, Roosevelt, Aiken, Clowney, Roosevelt, Session.

This moron was 31 years old at the time of the accidental shooting… 31 years old.

He wasn't some stupid kid… he was a stupid veteran who had plenty of time to learn how to know better.

But he didn't know better because of some mix of stupidity and arrogance.

Also, as a member of both the Steelers and the Giants, he was infamous for being tardy and absent from practice. He was also a contract holdout, and at one point he faked injury to avoid practicing during the time he was unhappy with his contract.

Plax has been involved in domestic disturbances, civil lawsuits, and numerous driving violations.

In short this guy was a prima dona right up until the time he went to prison. Too late for redemption in my book.

I'm a forgiving guy normally but to Plax I say, "karma's a B word."

You kept !@#$ing up and now you've !@#$ed yourself.

It sucks being a stupid piece of shyt.

How do you know?

First hand experience.

This moron was 31 years old at the time of the accidental shooting… 31 years old.

He wasn't some stupid kid… he was a stupid veteran who had plenty of time to learn how to know better.

But he didn't know better because of some mix of stupidity and arrogance.

Also, as a member of both the Steelers and the Giants, he was infamous for being tardy and absent from practice. He was also a contract holdout, and at one point he faked injury to avoid practicing during the time he was unhappy with his contract.

Plax has been involved in domestic disturbances, civil lawsuits, and numerous driving violations.

In short this guy was a prima dona right up until the time he went to prison. Too late for redemption in my book.

I'm a forgiving guy normally but to Plax I say, "karma's a B word."

You kept !@#$ing up and now you've !@#$ed yourself.

It sucks being a stupid piece of shyt.

Put more succinctly, this guy has been a major league jerk his entire life.

Now that he's gotten a wakeup call (hard time in prison) and is at the twilight of his career, he deserves another chance?

Plax crapped in his bed and now he has to sleep in it.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I get that I just don't think anyone will live to regret cutting Hagan, Roosevelt, Aiken, Clowney, Roosevelt, Session.

You're likely right, but I think Aiken might be decent, and Session hasn't even had a chance to show up yet. Roosevelt? I bet if we cut him he'd be with another team in a matter of a few weeks. You never know where the next surprise WR might come from.

Read the TJ Graham article on BB.com to find out what it takes to be a WR in this offense, that should answer your question. I think it explains why they don't take a lot of so-called gifted WRs.