Healthcare- The Biggest Threat to the US Ever

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/13/diabetes-latinos-growing-rates-_n_1590697.html#s360921&title=505_million

Well, a long-term chronic disease that is on the rise in the fastest growing segment of the US population, that is certainly good news.

Healthcare is the single biggest threat to the US, and we are no where even close to dealing with the Monster, Trillion many times over issue....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey... I want my royalty... Wasn't I talking about this days ago... Damn libs at the Huff!

:wallbash:

I haven't read the article... Healthcare industry has to get its act together...

EDIT: Along with people taking care of themselves, the industry is gonna have to adjust to the growing problem(s).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Hey... I want my royalty... Wasn't I talking about this days ago... Damn libs at the Huff!

:wallbash:

I haven't read the article... Healthcare industry has to get its act together...

EDIT: Along with people taking care of themselves, the industry is gonna have to adjust to the growing problem(s).

No, we'll just tax registered Dems more money to pay for it, seeing as how they're so willing to give (others') money away. :rolleyes:

No, we'll just tax registered Dems more money to pay for it, seeing as how they're so willing to give (others') money away. :rolleyes:

I am all for that... Who do I write my 5k check to?... Just as long as it ends up in the right hands and not hoarded in some endowment.

Anyway, the article talks about Latinos and diabetes... Wow... This will be an easy issue to resolve... Don't those two go hand in hand. I am not being racial, it does seem to be a genetic problem... Just happening at an earlier age... Like everything else in our society

I am all for that... Who do I write my 5k check to?... Just as long as it ends up in the right hands and not hoarded in some endowment.

Anyway, the article talks about Latinos and diabetes... Wow... This will be an easy issue to resolve... Don't those two go hand in hand. I am not being racial, it does seem to be a genetic problem... Just happening at an earlier age... Like everything else in our society

I don't know about Latino's, but Black men have higher risk factors for Blood Pressure and Prostate Issues.

is it so controversial to have a market health care system for simple procedure, like a cold or something, and then let medicare cover catastrophic care like a car accident that puts you in the hospital for 2 weeks?

Yes, because it exploits labor.

is it so controversial to have a market health care system for simple procedure, like a cold or something, and then let medicare cover catastrophic care like a car accident that puts you in the hospital for 2 weeks?

Therefore taking the burden off your car insurance company :rolleyes:

I don't know about Latino's, but Black men have higher risk factors for Blood Pressure and Prostate Issues.

Sure. Also Meditarrean cultures with sickle cell. Anyway, places like urban China are now dealing with obsesity. I have had high blood pressure my whole life... Would get tested in high school all the time... Not even weight or diet related... Same when I was 160 pounds at 6'3" as now well over 200. Yet at 44, I could stand to lose 35 pounds... Probably aid my BP, but won't get me off the meds... Even if I lost a 100 pounds and I looked like I came out of Aushwitz. I do agree, weight right now at 44 is more a diabetes risk... But I am trying!

Yes, because it exploits labor.

That is ok... Just exploit the interns another 15 years before they can collect a return on their investment... Maybe they will croak by then...

Therefore taking the burden off your car insurance company :rolleyes:

I am with Allstate... I get a multiple car discount. :nana:

Sure. Also Meditarrean cultures with sickle cell. Anyway, places like urban China are now dealing with obsesity. I have had high blood pressure my whole life... Would get tested in high school all the time... Not even weight or diet related... Same when I was 160 pounds at 6'3" as now well over 200. Yet at 44, I could stand to lose 35 pounds... Probably aid my BP, but won't get me off the meds... Even if I lost a 100 pounds and I looked like I came out of Aushwitz. I do agree, weight right now at 44 is more a diabetes risk... But I am trying!

Its weird, i had normal BP until college, them boom at a hockey physcial it was elevated... when I was 6'2" 185 it was the same as 6'2", 225. Then I had my physcial last month and the MD talked about BP meds... I did like that so much....

Jesus, at 6'3", how did you stand up in a stiff wind? LOL. I was at 185 in college and felt like a wafer..... not so much now

Its weird, i had normal BP until college, them boom at a hockey physcial it was elevated... when I was 6'2" 185 it was the same as 6'2", 225. Then I had my physcial last month and the MD talked about BP meds... I did like that so much....

Jesus, at 6'3", how did you stand up in a stiff wind? LOL. I was at 185 in college and felt like a wafer..... not so much now

I'm currently 6'3" (or maybe 6'4", haven't gotten measured in a couple of years) and vary between 155 and 165. I have the other side of the coin - low blood pressure. Can't just hop right out of bed in the morning - I have to sit up for a minute or so first so that I don't pass out when I stand up.

I was a rail! Honestly, I need to get back to at least 225... Now 260... Yikes!!!!

How old are you? A guy at work years ago... AA to boot would say: "I don't want to take a pill everyday." :wallbash::wallbash: Hard to be polite, but he was wrong... I could see he was headed for trouble because the hypertension was already showing in his eyes... My grandfather had the same thing with his eyes... He died of a massive heart attack in his 50's.

You know what changed his mind (guy at work)? We went for safety glasses at the eye doctor... Yes, it was covered under work and union agreement!... The eye doctor raised the panic button and ordered him to the doctor!

Anyway... Brother, father have it... I figured better at 20 and my whole life than letting it fester later in life. Dealing with reality is a big part of it all.

I was a rail! Honestly, I need to get back to at least 225... Now 260... Yikes!!!!

How old are you? A guy at work years ago... AA to boot would say: "I don't want to take a pill everyday." :wallbash::wallbash: Hard to be polite, but he was wrong... I could see he was headed for trouble because the hypertension was already showing in his eyes... My grandfather had the same thing with his eyes... He died of a massive heart attack in his 50's.

You know what changed his mind (guy at work)? We went for safety glasses at the eye doctor... Yes, it was covered under work and union agreement!... The eye doctor raised the panic button and ordered him to the doctor!

Anyway... Brother, father have it... I figured better at 20 and my whole life than letting it fester later in life. Dealing with reality is a big part of it all.

If he had gone to the doctor on a regular basis which someone recently said was not needed that hypertension would have been taken care of a long time ago. Who was the idiot that said doctors aren't needed?

I'm currently 6'3" (or maybe 6'4", haven't gotten measured in a couple of years) and vary between 155 and 165. I have the other side of the coin - low blood pressure. Can't just hop right out of bed in the morning - I have to sit up for a minute or so first so that I don't pass out when I stand up.

6'4", 155.... I am 70 lbs heavier and still wear a 36" pant. How do you stay that weight???

35 this year. yeah, 260 is rough, when I feel like 225 is a little on the thicker side... I can't shake a pound at this point, and I barely eat and am fairly active... I have an elevated TSH, so there is a decent possibility I am/will be hypothyroid soon- I think that is one barrier to losing weight.... my hope is on snythroid I can finally get that 15-20 off that I would like to.

I don't blame anyone not wanting to be on meds, but it is much better than heart attack, stroke, kidney issues, etc...

you did the right thing by dealing with it... it only get worse the more it is ignored

6'4", 155.... I am 70 lbs heavier and still wear a 36" pant. How do you stay that weight???

35 this year. yeah, 260 is rough, when I feel like 225 is a little on the thicker side... I can't shake a pound at this point, and I barely eat and am fairly active... I have an elevated TSH, so there is a decent possibility I am/will be hypothyroid soon- I think that is one barrier to losing weight.... my hope is on snythroid I can finally get that 15-20 off that I would like to.

I don't blame anyone not wanting to be on meds, but it is much better than heart attack, stroke, kidney issues, etc...

you did the right thing by dealing with it... it only get worse the more it is ignored

I've been on cholesterol meds for a very long time. I had blood work done a year or so ago. The doctor came back and said I'd live for ever. He had never seen a blood work up that good in his career (and he's pretty old). I said maybe I should try going off the meds. He told me to try it for a month and we'd retest. Came back and the results? "You need to stay on the meds." I'm ok with that but I did hear a report on the news today that statins do cause fatigue. I do tend to fatigue easily but I just attributed it to age.

I've been on cholesterol meds for a very long time. I had blood work done a year or so ago. The doctor came back and said I'd live for ever. He had never seen a blood work up that good in his career (and he's pretty old). I said maybe I should try going off the meds. He told me to try it for a month and we'd retest. Came back and the results? "You need to stay on the meds." I'm ok with that but I did hear a report on the news today that statins do cause fatigue. I do tend to fatigue easily but I just attributed it to age.

Its amazing the interventions that can be made for things like elevated Lipids, right?

Its amazing the interventions that can be made for things like elevated Lipids, right?

It was funny how he kept going on and on about how good my blood panels were. I don't eat a lot of red meats mostly salads and chicken but I do like my cheese. Hell I make my own cheese so I eat my share.

Cigarettes and Ritalin.

But seriously, since my father was thin as a rail until he was 35 or so, I'm guessing it's mostly metabolism. Combine that with working out regularly and not eating a whole lot calorie-wise (I eat cheap, filling foods that aren't calorie-dense), and I find myself fitting into certain pants based on how heavy my most recent meal was.

I'm ok with that but I did hear a report on the news today that statins do cause fatigue. I do tend to fatigue easily but I just attributed it to age.

I did not know that. Probably why I get tired so easily since I went on them, too...I'd attributed that to being a fat-ass with desk job.

I did not know that. Probably why I get tired so easily since I went on them, too...I'd attributed that to being a fat-ass with desk job.

It was on the news this morning that my wife and I were watching. It was just a teaser and we didn't hear the full report but as soon as they mentioned it we looked at each other with that "hmmmm, that explains a lot" look on our faces.