Prisco callin Bills fans wagon jumpers!!!

Hawk

I just slammed him, too. I told him if he ranks Denver ahead of Buffalo just because Denver is more likely to make the playoffs, then why doesn't he rank Minnesota ahead of them, too?

Flawed reasoning...that's all it is. The power rankings should indicate who is the better team *right now*. The standings say who goes to the playoffs.

My response:

Pete,

It's not the ranking, but the logic that evades me. 

If you dropped the Bills from #9 to #10 because they need help in reaching the playoffs from one team, why were they #9 last week, when they needed help from four teams to make the playoffs?

Prisco: "Think about it. When the Bills were 0-4, you couldn't find a damn fan anywhere. They never wrote. They never complained. They never sent a nasty e-mail. "

... you couldn't find a damn journalist anywhere either, Pete. Your Monday-morning righteousness does not wash here, sorry. Now go write something about Terrell Owens again, he's a fresh topic.

I got a kick out of the lead paragraph:

They must have some really good places to hide in the Buffalo area. If I'm ever on the run from the mob, Buffalo is my choice to stay out of harm's way.

That didn't work for Fabrizio in The Godfather, as I recall.

Anyway, I started writing Prickso an e-mail a few times and finally gave up. I'd have better luck reasoning with my two-year-old son.

The guy's rankings bite. He has no idea what he'd doing.

I just sent him the following e-mail:

Why bother even doing rankings when you follow the actual standings so closely? You write that you ranked the Jets ahead of the Bills because they split head-to-head and the Jets have the better record, and your ranked the Broncos ahead of the Bills because the Broncos own the conference tie-breaker if the teams tied.

But, and I think you would agree, the Bills are playing much better than both the Broncos and Jets. Isn't the point of any NFL ranking system to rank based on how good the teams actually are, oftentimes irrespective of the actual standings? And if that's not the point, then I'll dispense with reading your rankings and save time by just reading the actual NFL standings.

186229[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it any better...

Why anyone would use 'conference record' as a barometer for comparing the relative strength of 2 or more teams is baffling...

It's bad enough the NFL uses such an arbitrary stat for tie-breakers.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8048619

Time to fill his mailbox with some cowbell kharma!!!!  :(  :devil:

186215[/snapback]

I'd say Prisco's rip on Bills fans was deserved. Who the hell are these dorks e-mailing in their gripes about his imaginary rankings? Get a grip, the NFL has nothing to do with "rank", it's about earned position. Right now, the Bills are looking in from outside of the playoff picture, their earned position is "out of the money".

I'd say Prisco's rip on Bills fans was deserved.  Who the hell are these dorks e-mailing  in their gripes about his imaginary rankings?  Get a grip, the NFL has nothing to do with  "rank", it's about earned position.  Right now, the Bills are looking in from outside of the playoff picture, their earned position is "out of the money".

Then as I said, they should be ranked 13th. But TRUE rankings should reflect the strength of a team, regardless of playoff positioning.

In the end, for people like Prisco (and Sullivan, et. al) it all comes down to what you see in the last question.

I really wonder how you got this job. Do you understand the fact that almost every NFL message board bad-mouths you.

Derek: I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bills have sold out 15 of the last 16 regular season games and a preseason game. Maybe nobody sent Prisco an email when the Bills were 0-4 because everyone was at the game. Why does he care if Bills fans send him emails? He sounds like a lonely old loser. Heywood J. Blowme says Prisco is the King of Douchebags.

I'd say Prisco's rip on Bills fans was deserved.  Who the hell are these dorks e-mailing  in their gripes about his imaginary rankings?  Get a grip, the NFL has nothing to do with  "rank", it's about earned position.  Right now, the Bills are looking in from outside of the playoff picture, their earned position is "out of the money".

186467[/snapback]

Yeah, it hurts because it contains some truth. Many Bills fans felt the season was over after the "effort" they put together against New England. Bledsoe played like complete garbage, the offense was useless, etc. I didn't see the Bills having a chance at that point; that was one of the worst performances I'd ever seen. Fans were taking shots at Donahoe for saying "it's a long season and there is more football to play" -- honestly, I thought the guy was just trying desperately to spin things at that low point. Even Ralph Wilson spoke publicly about how crappy the offense was.

Then there was a break in the clouds of doom, Willis was named starter. Now, Bills fans are buying into the sound bites of the Bills being the best team in the NFL, etc.

How quickly fortunes change.

186467[/snapback]

Just like those people that respond to posts on a message board complaining about people complaining about rankings?

A bit hypocritical, don't you think?

yes its true, i'm a bandwagon fan

besides the fact my hometown is 100 miles from buffalo

beside the fact i stuck with them thru 4 straight super bowl losses and suffered thru the endless "how do you spell bills? with 4 Ls" and "what does BILLS mean? Boy I Love Losing Superbowls" jokes

besides the fact i went to college near pittsburgh when they were contenders in the 90s and all my friends were steeler fans

besides the fact i held out hope rob johnson would pan out

besides the fact i stuck with them thru a 3-13 season and was happy to see alex van pelt get a shot

besides the fact they haven't made the playoffs or had a winning record since 1999

besides the fact i stuck with them after they 'wasted' a 1st rounder on a running back with a destroyed knee

besides the fact i stuck with them after an 0-4 start to what seemed a godawful season

yes, its true. the only reason i'm a bills fan is because they have an outside shot at the playoffs :pirate:

get a clue prisco