Pandora v. MOG

ajzepp

A couple weeks ago I saw that when you upgrade to the paid version of Pandora, you get a higher quality stream. I've really been enjoying it since I made that change. Then yesterday someone over at audio circle, one of my favorite audio forums, mentions that I'd be better off with something called MOG. Well, last night I spent some time checking out the user interface. I have to say, as much as I really enjoy the simplicity of Pandora, this MOG service just KILLS it. Not only that, but the streams are 320kbps instead of 192, which is what Pandora tops out at. So far I've been able to find EVERYTHING I've looked for on MOG, including the current chart toppers and new album releases. It's $9/month if you want to use a mobile device, and that gets you unlimited use plus unlimited downloads for when you don't have access to wifi.

Is anyone else using this service? If so, let me know what cool features you found and any tips you might have. I have worked long and hard to build a nice music collection of over 8000 songs, all ripped to my hard drive, but just like video services like Vudu and Netflix streaming have greatly reduced my physical disc rentals and purchases, MOG will clearly have the same effect with regard to CDs.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for the ULTIMATE portable headphones, check out the Beyerdynamic DT1350s. They are very easy to drive from the likes of an iPhone or other portable device, and the sound quality will just obliterate almost anything else you might be using.

Happy Listening!!

Not one person using MOG???

Let me give you an idea of what this service is like...it's like having a record store in your own home where you can sit down and listen to literally ANY song or ANY album ever created, including ANY new release. On top of that, you can listen on your portable device AND download ANY song or album ever made for free when you become full member. Additionally, you get MP3 quality streaming, which is 320kbps. Many people cannot distinguish between MP3 and CD quality.

With all the music lovers on this site, I can't imagine how this ISN'T like an instant music boner for you guys just like it is for me. I've already spent hours listening to old and new music and having a blast! :thumbsup:

Not one person using MOG???

Let me give you an idea of what this service is like...it's like having a record store in your own home where you can sit down and listen to literally ANY song or ANY album ever created, including ANY new release. On top of that, you can listen on your portable device AND download ANY song or album ever made for free when you become full member. Additionally, you get MP3 quality streaming, which is 320kbps. Many people cannot distinguish between MP3 and CD quality.

With all the music lovers on this site, I can't imagine how this ISN'T like an instant music boner for you guys just like it is for me. I've already spent hours listening to old and new music and having a blast! :thumbsup:

I havve MOG on my Droid 4 (Verizon)... Never played around with it... Thought it was bloatware???

playing around with MOG this morning. the sound quality is definitely nice, but one thing right off i don't like is this 'free music gas tank' that seems to go down after every song i listen to. i think grooveshark free is still my favorite because it includes live (audience) recordings, and i can very quickly make randomized playlists of artists based on what i feel like listening to at the moment. thanks to TSW/OTW for introducing me to all these online players.

A couple weeks ago I saw that when you upgrade to the paid version of Pandora, you get a higher quality stream. I've really been enjoying it since I made that change. Then yesterday someone over at audio circle, one of my favorite audio forums, mentions that I'd be better off with something called MOG. Well, last night I spent some time checking out the user interface. I have to say, as much as I really enjoy the simplicity of Pandora, this MOG service just KILLS it. Not only that, but the streams are 320kbps instead of 192, which is what Pandora tops out at. So far I've been able to find EVERYTHING I've looked for on MOG, including the current chart toppers and new album releases. It's $9/month if you want to use a mobile device, and that gets you unlimited use plus unlimited downloads for when you don't have access to wifi.

Is anyone else using this service? If so, let me know what cool features you found and any tips you might have. I have worked long and hard to build a nice music collection of over 8000 songs, all ripped to my hard drive, but just like video services like Vudu and Netflix streaming have greatly reduced my physical disc rentals and purchases, MOG will clearly have the same effect with regard to CDs.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for the ULTIMATE portable headphones, check out the Beyerdynamic DT1350s. They are very easy to drive from the likes of an iPhone or other portable device, and the sound quality will just obliterate almost anything else you might be using.

Happy Listening!!

I like the interface Right now I'm using Zune. I think I like the online streaming of this one better though. How do you listen at home? Through your computer?

Sorry man I had never even heard of MOG til you posted this thread. How is it different than spotify?

I know, I hadn't heard of it until just recently, as well. Not real familiar with Spotify, to be honest...I was mostly using Pandora and the TuneIn Radio app that I first heard about from you...love that app!

playing around with MOG this morning. the sound quality is definitely nice, but one thing right off i don't like is this 'free music gas tank' that seems to go down after every song i listen to. i think grooveshark free is still my favorite because it includes live (audience) recordings, and i can very quickly make randomized playlists of artists based on what i feel like listening to at the moment. thanks to TSW/OTW for introducing me to all these online players.

The real value is in the paid versions. For $5/month you get unlimited music, but for the $9/month play you get mobile use and unlimited downloads. I love this, because I can download whatever album - especially newer albums that just came out that I want to hear - to my iPhone and listen to it whenever. You can download as much or as little as you want.

I like the interface Right now I'm using Zune. I think I like the online streaming of this one better though. How do you listen at home? Through your computer?

I'm still learning the ins and outs, but from what I understand you can listen via your computer, various streaming players like the Logitech squeezebox products, your Roku box, apple express, apple tv, etc, etc. I mainly use the portable option right now with my iPhone, which I love.

I havve MOG on my Droid 4 (Verizon)... Never played around with it... Thought it was bloatware???

You should play around with it :)

Another cool thing is that it has an even better version of Pandora already built into the service...it's called MOG Radio. What I love about this is it has a slider where you can set it to either 100% selected artist or move it to the other end and have that artist plus other similar artists playing in a mix. Where you set the slider determines how diluted or you want the mix to be. Also, if anyone does sign up for the mobile program, be sure to change the settings to "high quality downloads" so that you get the full MP3 quality. Whenever I hear about an album I want to hear, I just download it in MP3 and then I can listen to it anytime whether I'm online/wifi or not. I'ts very cool.

EDIT: Stojan, just taking a quick glance at Spotify, it seems like the two services are very similar and competing with one another, so that's awesome for us, the consumers. Might not be enough justifiation to switch to MOG if you're happy with Spotify since they apparently now also offer the same high quality streaming and downloads.

Spotify is the reigning champ. It offers a pandora feature where they customize a station for you, and also lets you choose from individual artists, build playlists, send music to friends, and its free. A few bucks per month and you can use Spotify on your mobile device.

MOG vs. Pandora is like debating VHS and Beta-Max while laser disc looms on the horizon.

Edited by Jauronimo

I used to have Napster and the Rhapsody pay service which allowed you to listen and download any of their music as long as your subscription was active. Is this similar to that approach?

I think the modern day version of Napster would be Grooveshark. With that service the music files are shared with the community by its members. With MOG and Spotify, the best plans are the ones where you spend a few bucks per month. You get access to their entire library of many millions of songs/albums, and you can download as much music as you want. Additionally, the quality of the tracks is higher, with MOG being MP3 quality, or 320kpbs. (And I'm pretty sure Spotify offers the same now, as well.) You can literally find a brand new album on its release date, download it to your device, and it's there to listen to any time you want whether you're online or not. They keeps lists of new releases, chart toppers, editors picks, etc, so that you can find new music. They also have a Pandora type feature called MOG Radio where you can listen to the music of one particular artist or that artist plus similar artists mixed in. I was quite happy with Pandora, but I had no idea there were services out there like MOG and Spotify. I'm so hooked on MOG it's not even funny. I've been listening to music nearly non-stop since I was told of it by someone on another website.

I'm so hooked on MOG it's not even funny. I've been listening to music nearly non-stop since I was told of it by someone on another website.

Well, then perhaps I should mention these things called "women".

Well, then perhaps I should mention these things called "women".

You know Scott, there will be a day when I actually do make it to a TBD get-together...and in the middle of shaking everyone else's hand in meeting them, when I meet you it's going to be hard to resist giving you a nice swift kick in the nuts :nana:

I tend to like Spotify better. They also offer streaming in 320kbps, and I find their library to be better suited to my tastes than MOG or Rdio. In addition, Spotify is launching a true pandora-like service right now (just launched on iOS recently)

Pandora for interface, Grooveshark for freedom of selecting specific songs.