other than score, most important stat to dictate wins

for me, it's a tie between TOP and off/def 3rd down conversion because they go hand in hand

keeping a drive alive and killing an opponent's drive.

the bills have been dreadful at this. in this 12 years of garbage, i've noticed the bills can't seem to convert third and short and can't seem to stop third and long.

maybe it comes down to a receiver and a pass rush, but for some reason i always though it was more than that.

any thoughts?

IMO dominance on the lines. That's what leads to 3rd down conversions, 3rd down stops, net yard passing differential (our QB orders Jimmy Johns in the backfield , their QB runs for his life) and other ancillary statistics.

Kind of hard to quantitate - Cold Hard Football Facts came up with stuff like "Offensive Hogs Index" And "Defensive Hogs Index" as an attempt to do so.

I don't think TOP means too much. Teams that score efficiently can have lower TOP and even give up a lot of yards defensively, they still win provided they keep points off the board.

Edited by Hopeful

IMO dominance on the lines. That's what leads to 3rd down conversions, 3rd down stops, net yard passing differential (our QB orders Jimmy Johns in the backfield , their QB runs for his life) and other ancillary statistics.

Kind of hard to quantitate - Cold Hard Football Facts came up with stuff like "Offensive Hogs Index" And "Defensive Hogs Index" as an attempt to do so.

I don't think TOP means too much. Teams that score efficiently can have lower TOP and even give up a lot of yards defensively, they still win provided they keep points off the board.

If memory serves, the Marv Levy didn't win the time-of-possession battle very often with the K-Gun no-huddle offense. Yet we won a lot of games in those days. I'm not sure how much TOP means either.

I'd go with turnover differential. Dominance of lines would be a good one, too, if more easily quantifiable.

With this team its IR . If we can stay injury free to our top players most of the yr. we have a legit shot at the playoffs.

Players that cannot lose more than 3 games to injury.

Stevie

Fitz

Super Mario

Wood

Kyle Williams

Dareus

Byrd

Freddy ofcourse best for last.

Its been and amazing how many players we lose each yr for the past 3 or 4 yrs. We are way overdue for some good luck in the injury department.

Football wise I think an underrated stat is TOP but getting turnovers and getting a short field is vital to scoring more points.

for me, it's a tie between TOP and off/def 3rd down conversion because they go hand in hand

keeping a drive alive and killing an opponent's drive.

the bills have been dreadful at this. in this 12 years of garbage, i've noticed the bills can't seem to convert third and short and can't seem to stop third and long.

maybe it comes down to a receiver and a pass rush, but for some reason i always though it was more than that.

any thoughts?

We went to 4 straight superbowls, 3 of which we had the lowest TOP in the NFL for those 3 years due to the no huddle. Who cares about TOP if you jump up on someone 21-0 quickly? If you can score and score often, then score. Don't intentionally sit on the clock.

The only true measure is the score. You can measure any other aspect of the game and it will never be linear to wins and losses. It falls into an exercise of mythical percentages signifying infinite "what if's". The score is the only statistic of real value.

TOP is over-rated IMO. It's just a reflection of how long your holding the ball. Not necessarily doing anything good with it. As others have mentioned. A really good offense scores, not just holds onto the ball.

Turnovers are a biggie, but one of the toughest to maintain year to year. IMO the only way to reliably generate turnovers is relentless pressure. Something we haven't seen around here much. Hopefully that'll change this year.

I agree with SDS, baring turnovers (an erratic stat), Passing differential is the key stat in the NFL today.