Chris Kelsay

eball

Chan Gailey after day one of OTAs:

On his thoughts about DE Chris Kelsay:

"He’s a good football player. That’s the bottom line for Kelsay. He’s just a good football player. There’s going to be a three or a four man rotation in that group all year long, hopefully. Hopefully everybody stays healthy and we’ve got a great rotation going there. In my mind they’re almost all starters."

I know we've got "professional" scouts and armchair heroes of all sorts on this board, but I'll take the word of the freaking head coach. Enough already.

Seriously. I think Chan's 10-22 record speaks for itself. Obviously the guy is right about every football decision all the time.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been one of the weakest D players on one of the worst defenses in the NFL, two years running.

I guess he's good, they're paying him good, and Chan says so. <_<

The more I read your posts, the more I ask myself why. I'm all for legitimate debate, but when you look at the talent on the defensive line on this roster, and your head coach says Kelsay deserves to be in the starting rotation, but you still type that nonsense, I just have to shake my head.

Never been much of a Kelsay fan. I will admit however he is above average against the run. The problem before was that on passing downs he would tend to be swallowed up. Now that the right personnel are here that fit down and distance I believe he will have a good year

Edited by LVBillsBackr

Seriously. I think Chan's 10-22 record speaks for itself. Obviously the guy is right about every football decision all the time.

Why just listen to Chan then? I encourage you to speak with anyone actually involved in professional football, and then report back.

Chris Kelsay is the worst player in the history of players. I rue that painful day in April 26 of 2003 that my Buffalo Bills drafted this DE/OLB chimera. Coach Edwards was going to be the next Bill Belichick, but Kelsay ruined everything. Mario Williams sleeps with one eye open every night, in fear that Chris Kelsay will sneak into his bedroom and steal his jersey number. I am overweight, unemployed, and can't get laid. Why? Chris Kelsay. The WNY economy will never recover until you-know-who is cut from this majestic franchise. I will not purchase a lunchpail or an electrical power tool until Buffalo Bills security removes Chris from the premises at One Bills Drive.

He's a solid player. Good guy to put in a ROTATION, like Chan said. Kelsay is not a pro-bowl player, but he's decent and contains his side of the LOS well. Not a game changer, but a player who is not a liability that can enable other high-caliber players to make plays.

I'm somewhere in the middle. Yes, I wanted him cut years ago, but he's still here and could be an asset this year. He always made a decent back-up for Denney. I just don't think he ever deserved to be a starter and he was slightly over-paid. I'd be fine with him as a back-up till he retires.

you are kidding, right.

Chris Kelsay was never a backup to Ryan Denney, which is just as wrong as your earlier claim that there are those who have suggested Kelsay is the second coming of Bruce Smith. please, let's not overburden the flimsy facts youattempt to present, or to suggest that you find yourself "somewhere in the middle" of this.

Kelsay's presence is "polarizing" only to those who seem to not like him.

Kelsay is a good player, a respected leader, and best suited to play the defensive end position. it's clear he was out of his comfort zone in the 3-4.

no, he's not anywhere near the second coming of Bruce, or Aaron Schobel for that matter. but for the sake of this thread, it would serve you better to present accurate background, rather than providing us what appears to be a very slanted version of your opinion.

jw

Kelsay has been the whipping boy for the Bills defense for years, I think most hate comes from his coverage skills, he had to play out of position all the time, he isnt nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Kelsay has been on the same ride the fans have been on for years and maybe now he can become a "winner" along with the Bills. If Kelsay plays the same as he did last year and the defense stays healthy, I think Kelsay will have fans cheering.

Nobody that I know has ever suggested Kelsay is the second coming of Bruce Smith. In fact, I think fan opinion tends to fall into one of these three categories:

1. Kelsay is a solid, if unspectacular, well-rounded starter.

2. Kelsay is a good NFL backup.

3. Kelsay should have been cut.

The fans in buckets 1 and 2 can make cogent, rational arguments. I think the fans in bucket 3 are reacting emotionally either because they're annoyed by Kelsay's big paycheck, or his failings as an OLB, or both.

Personally, I can only commend the guy for uncomplainingly accepting the move to OLB. He's been a loyal Bill and that makes me a loyal fan of his. Anyone who has the attitude that he'll do anything without complaint to help the Bills win is a good guy in my book.

Kelsay has been a starter most of his career here because he's been better than the back ups. Cutting him would have been a huge mistake.

Looking forward, I don't care what side he plays on or whether or not he starts. I'm just happy he's in the rotation. We're a better team with him than we'd be without him.

Chan Gailey after day one of OTAs:

On his thoughts about DE Chris Kelsay:

"He’s a good football player. That’s the bottom line for Kelsay. He’s just a good football player. There’s going to be a three or a four man rotation in that group all year long, hopefully. Hopefully everybody stays healthy and we’ve got a great rotation going there. In my mind they’re almost all starters."

I know we've got "professional" scouts and armchair heroes of all sorts on this board, but I'll take the word of the freaking head coach. Enough already.

No Guarantee this guy makes the team either. I believe he'll need to have a good camp and Pre-Season. Cuts have to be made. This guy is good depth, but you never know...

you are kidding, right.

Chris Kelsay was never a backup to Ryan Denney, which is just as wrong as your earlier claim that there are those who have suggested Kelsay is the second coming of Bruce Smith. please, let's not overburden the flimsy facts youattempt to present, or to suggest that you find yourself "somewhere in the middle" of this.

Kelsay's presence is "polarizing" only to those who seem to not like him.

Kelsay is a good player, a respected leader, and best suited to play the defensive end position. it's clear he was out of his comfort zone in the 3-4.

no, he's not anywhere near the second coming of Bruce, or Aaron Schobel for that matter. but for the sake of this thread, it would serve you better to present accurate background, rather than providing us what appears to be a very slanted version of your opinion.

jw

Yes, his AND mine. Understatement. :blink:

I think kelsey should be cut if Merriman is healthy and shows it. KElsey is a cut type player with a high salary. Next year we have Levitre and Byrd up next year and we need to extend those contracts if we want to be a good football team. Guys we are almost there maybe a TE, #2 WR away from a great team. I like the way buddy has drafted we are good going into the next 5-6 yrs.

Yes, his AND mine. Understatement. :blink:

and yet, Kelsay never made excuses at the time or complained of being in the 3-4. he also never raised attention to an injury that bothered him for most of last season, after he was hurt midway through training camp.

clearly, you're not a fan (or a Bills coach either).

jw

Extending Kelsay wasn't just about football. It was a message to the locker room and anyone watching that if you play hard, put the team first, and represent the organization well, then the Bills will take care of you. Thats a small price to pay for earning the respect of your players and repairing the organization's image.

Chris Kelsay is the worst player in the history of players. I rue that painful day in April 26 of 2003 that my Buffalo Bills drafted this DE/OLB chimera. Coach Edwards was going to be the next Bill Belichick, but Kelsay ruined everything. Mario Williams sleeps with one eye open every night, in fear that Chris Kelsay will sneak into his bedroom and steal his jersey number. I am overweight, unemployed, and can't get laid. Why? Chris Kelsay. The WNY economy will never recover until you-know-who is cut from this majestic franchise. I will not purchase a lunchpail or an electrical power tool until Buffalo Bills security removes Chris from the premises at One Bills Drive.

finally someone talking some sense

It seems to me that much of the criticism of Kelsay comes from his failure to be a reasonable facsimile of Bruce Smith instead of giving him his props for what he is: a Phil Hansen-type DE who unfortunately has not had a dominating DE on the other end of the line.

I agree with you except I think there's a good chance will be the starting RDE, subbed out in passing situations (we already heard from Wannstedt that Mario will line up at LDE). Kelsey is a very good player in a 4-man front when he can put his hand down. He took a lot of flak the last 2 years for when he was asked to play LB (that was a disaster).

I don't think a lot of people realize the huge difference between being a full-time defensive lineman and a situational pass rusher. Mark Anderson's two best years (rookie season and last year) came when he was a situational pass rusher. In his five years as a starter he was an average DE that never tallied more than 5 sacks a season.

Ahhh, dummy me.

Thanks QCity. I know they had Williams set but I forgot it was LDE.

Addtionally, I agree with your second paragraph whole heartedly. It is one of the reason why I am excited for the D this year; guys are going to stay fresh and be able to play to their strengths.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I won't argue with Coach Gailey about Kelsay, he's forgotten more about football than I'll ever know. We don't have the luxury of watching and dissecting thousands of snaps to determine the quality of a player, We don't know the schemes or what a particular player is being asked to do. What we do know is that Kelsay has survived 4 different head coaches and still remains the starter. If the guy was terrible then there's no way he would have made it through all that turmoil.

I think this could be a special year for Kelsay. With Marcel, Kyle and Mario on the line, he'll have more opportunity to make plays than ever before.

Agreed. He will rotate with Anderson and Merriman will rotate with Mario and that will be that. If Troup and Kyle make it all the way back by September, this whole DL group could be exceptional in Wanny's 4 man front. Get your popcorn folks!!

Agreed. He will rotate with Anderson and Merriman will rotate with Mario and that will be that. If Troup and Kyle make it all the way back by September, this whole DL group could be exceptional in Wanny's 4 man front. Get your popcorn folks!!

Ummm. Merriman is not a LDE in a 4-3. Not even close. I'm not saying this can't happen but it's probably the longest shot of anything we've been talking about.

A few things here. Our defensive line, assuming everyone is healthy will look like this:

LDE- Williams- Kelsey

DT- Williams- Troupe

DT- Dareus- S. Johnson

RDE- Merriman- Anderson or possibly Anderson with Merriman in obvious passing situations.

On that note. My biggest gripe with Kelsey his entire career wasn't in regards to him really. More like the team around him. Just 3 years ago he was considered our BEST DLmen. Possibly Williams but hebeas still just working his way to startdom. Kelsey was arguably the best. If your best DE is Chris Kelsey you are in trouble. Now...... Even if he does start opposite Williams he will still only be our 4th best DLmen. And for that reason I don't hate him on this team anymore.

That's all