Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?

Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Should Buddy Nix try and trade for Drew Brees?

The discussion is just a circle-jerk unless you realistically look at how the loss of draft picks, current players and dollars, which could be used to support the lineup. The loss in those 3 areas would hurt this franchise much more than it would help.

I voted - No.

Agreed that it's pointless to address the trade aspect without cost, if you essentially sub out fitz and thigpens salary, your well over halfway there. Add in say dwan and Kelsey and you've reached the threshold. Ideally that money will come back to us for a few of them and go to more productive players that would make the choice harder. Just something to help put in perspective the dollars. The picks would be a lot still.

Obviously this won't happen but sometimes it's like we are scared of getting good players on this board.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hell no. He is the biggest whiny B word in the NFL. I can't stand the jerk ever since reaching a CBA he tweeted the players weren't 'Slaves'. He is nothing but the product of a system and the Saints know it. Without Sean Payton there he isn't going to do **** compared to normal and they know it. Their GM needs to entertain a trade offer with someone and cut bait if you can still trade franchise players (not sure with new CBA)

Hell no. He is the biggest whiny B word in the NFL. I can't stand the jerk ever since reaching a CBA he tweeted the players weren't 'Slaves'. He is nothing but the product of a system and the Saints know it. Without Sean Payton there he isn't going to do **** compared to normal and they know it. Their GM needs to entertain a trade offer with someone and cut bait if you can still trade franchise players (not sure with new CBA)

Dear lord again. Remind me of that slave quote- when did he say that?

He's too old! Been there, done that with another "old" Drew, and it didn't work very well.

Buddy Nix may have a past with the guy but, it's too far in the past, and all Buddy's great picks of the past are now well over 30.

I'd vote NO before we end up with another "Over the Hill Gang!

bledsoe was 29....and not half the qb brees is

Joe D says sign the little piece of crap.

hehe

why would anybody say no!

My question is why would anyone say yes without it being said who we are trading away. Fitzy for Brees straight up? Almost certainly yes assuming we make the impact of all the cap hitting work for us since we just signed Fitzy long term.

However, if the price for this trade was something which would wreck this team like the Saints get our likely best defensive player and they demand am offensive threat like Stevie Johnson then there is no way I make this trade.

I suspect (and hope) that the thread ended up making t his point but I don't think I want to wade through five pages to find out.

My question is why would anyone say yes without it being said who we are trading away. Fitzy for Brees straight up? Almost certainly yes assuming we make the impact of all the cap hitting work for us since we just signed Fitzy long term.

However, if the price for this trade was something which would wreck this team like the Saints get our likely best defensive player and they demand am offensive threat like Stevie Johnson then there is no way I make this trade.

I suspect (and hope) that the thread ended up making t his point but I don't think I want to wade through five pages to find out.

Thank you and correct me I'm wrong but we had to wait until page five before someone brought up this point?

It's a ridiculous poll without having an actual trade proposal to vote on.

Without question they should consider it if her ever becomes available but at what cost would one made an actual trade?

Anyone who says no has issues.

But Brees won't be going anywhere.

Wow, I just saw the vote breakdown. Didn't mean to offend, just assumed 99.9 percent would be on board with having a superstar leading this team. Oh well.

Of course, we would all want Brees IF he was free. I assume that most who voted no were considering what the team would have to give up for him.

Brees is a great quarterback, but I don't want to mortgage the future for him. That's all. If we could get him at a lower cost than he's due then I am game. Nothing to with chemistry.

Wasn't he doing well his last year in San Diego, without Sean Payton? I don't have numbers, and my memories are fuzzy

The answer is OF COURSE NOT!!!! No freakin' way Buddy Nix would ever even consider doing something so stupid as trading for Brees.

The cost would be ridiculously high for a 1-to-2 year player who would have to learn and adjust to Chan Gailey's system and the Bills receivers corps, while the entire Bills offense adjusts to him - which would probably set the Bills back a season in the current rebuilding timeline, not to mention what the Bills would give up in current talent and future draft picks in such a ridiculously myopic trade.

Also lost in all this stupidity is that Brees may net even do well here in the swirling outdoor winds of Orchard Park, NY. (The Bills DO have three December home games along with the nighttime mid-November game at RWS - I guess most folks don't know that New Orleans* plays in a dome?)

But the whole thread is just another ridiculous TSW off-season time-waster anyway, because there is no trade to be made. The Saints* have slapped the franchise tag on him and, in the end, the greedy little piece of crap will sign his one-year, $16.3 million franchise-player tender offer.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

post-2970-016205000 1337524566_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

The answer is OF COURSE NOT!!!! No freakin' way Buddy Nix would ever even consider doing something so stupid as trading for Brees.

The cost would be ridiculously high for a 1-to-2 year player who would have to learn and adjust to Chan Gailey's system and the Bills receivers corps, while the entire Bills offense adjusts to him - which would probably set the Bills back a season in the current rebuilding timeline, not to mention what the Bills would give up in current talent and future draft picks in such a ridiculously myopic trade.

Also lost in all this stupidity is that Brees may net even do well here in the swirling outdoor winds of Orchard Park, NY. (The Bills DO have three December home games along with the nighttime mid-November game at RWS - I guess most folks don't know that New Orleans* plays in a dome?)

But the whole thread is just another ridiculous TSW off-season time-waster anyway, because there is no trade to be made. The Saints* have slapped the franchise tag on him and, in the end, the greedy little piece of crap will sign his one-year, $16.3 million franchise-player tender offer.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

It still amazes me how many think he's a one year player.

And then those that make up that the first season with a new qb is a bust because it takes a year to get used to each other.... He took the saints to the NFC championship his first year... Forgot that?

I will agree it would never happen, as the saints would never even answer the phone on a trade. It's not that the cost is too high, but that he's borderline priceless for this franchise. Sure they are still working on his deal (which I also disagree with you on and think he will sign longterm in July, somewhere between the Brady and manning deals) but trading him isn't on the table. Benson has said its not an option and loomis publicly said he deserves to be fired if he can't sign him.

Brees is a great quarterback, but I don't want to mortgage the future for him. That's all. If we could get him at a lower cost than he's due then I am game. Nothing to with chemistry.

Wasn't he doing well his last year in San Diego, without Sean Payton? I don't have numbers, and my memories are fuzzy

Did very well in SD - hence they even franchised him before that last year, and without an arm he got a deal that was pretty massive for 6 years ago.

And then those that make up that the first season with a new qb is a bust because it takes a year to get used to each other.... He took the saints to the NFC championship his first year... Forgot that?

I will agree it would never happen, as the saints would never even answer the phone on a trade. It's not that the cost is too high, but that he's borderline priceless for this franchise. Sure they are still working on his deal (which I also disagree with you on and think he will sign longterm in July, somewhere between the Brady and manning deals) but trading him isn't on the table. Benson has said its not an option and loomis publicly said he deserves to be fired if he can't sign him.

Did very well in SD - hence they even franchised him before that last year, and without an arm he got a deal that was pretty massive for 6 years ago.

I don't understand why people think that a deal won't get done. There is a lot at stake for Brees and the organization. This is going to be Brees's last big contract deal. He wants it structured in such a way that it is mostly guaranteed money and the right number of years. The GM and the organization are trying to structure a deal where the franchise won't be stuck with a contract that will leave them with little cap flexibility down the road.

Brees is an elite qb. One can make a reasonable case that ne is currently the second best qb in the game, next to Rodgers. He has elevated a floundering franchise into not only a SB and playoff team, but also one of most entertaining teams in the league. Structuring a mega-deal is very complicated. I don't see how a deal won't be worked out for the obvious reason that neither party would be better off without each other.

Benson, the owner, trusts Loomis and allows him to run the team. He's done a terrific job. But when the owner clearly states that it will get done, it will get done.

I appreciate your opinions on the subject - however they must they be completely discounted since you are a founding member of the 'I LOVE DREW BREES FAN CLUB' and you have an even bigger man-crush on the little piece of crap than Bill Belicheat*

post-2970-087718800 1337530935_thumb.jpg

I appreciate your opinions on the subject - however they must they be completely discounted since you are a founding member of the 'I LOVE DREW BREES FAN CLUB' and you have an even bigger man-crush on the little piece of crap than Bill Belicheat*

That was a great game - belicheat had to bench Brady halfway through the fourth, it had gotten so out of hand.