Gettin a stronger arm is possible

There have been many comments on this board about how QBs should not lift weights or that weightlifting can't improve arm strength. I hope this info about Tom House puts those thoughts to rest. I also wish Fitz would go see him because if he could improve his strength and mechanics we could stop these endless discussions on if Fitz is a franchise QB. If House can turn Brees from noodle arm QB to what he is today then he can do the same for Fitz.

The fowllowing is from world renown pitching coach Tom House who also works with NFL QBS.

"Stronger Arms and Upper Body provides proven cross-specific training programs and exercises that will help coaches, athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and professionals improve upper-body strength, power, and muscle endurance to achieve maximum performance gains and minimize risk of injury."

http://www.tomhouse.com/products.asp

" [Alex] Smith wasn’t alone at USC in March. Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and Carson Palmer were also there to get assistance from House. House started working with quarterbacks 10 years ago at the urging of Cam Cameron, who was Chargers offensive coordinator when Brees went to see House for the first time.

Smith’s work focused on increasing strength in his right shoulder and cleaning up mechanical flaws that developed after Smith’s shoulder surgeries. House, who broke down Smith’s motion via three-dimensional video, found that Smith began shifting his head to the left as he threw after the two operations."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/13/alex-smith-tom-brady-and-others-worked-with-baseball-pitching-coach-in-march/

This is true. A lot of people on here just assume that Fitz is doing nothing at all to improve his fitness and arm strength. He's probably working incredibly hard on it. He's a professional athlete whose sole goal is to be as good as possible at his job. And I'm sure that Gailey and the entire organization have each player on a specific program tailored for their improvement.

Fitz is a gamer who was born with high intellect and about an average QB arm. In following him throughout his career, I've noticed that his arm has gotten significantly stronger.

Did we all forget the 15-30 yard strikes he was throwing weeks 1-6 last year? Not just quick slants or outs, but ropes down the middle of the field. As for his deep ball, just take a look at Fitz highlights on youtube. Yes, I know that they don't show the 'lowlights' but look at these deep balls he throws. Pretty damn good. Can he work on them? Yes, but who couldn't?

He has more than enough arm strength to make every throw and like I said, he is surely busting his ass to improve the muscle strength in his body and arm to get more explosive in that area.

Fitz's positives: Extremely intelligent, tough as Sh*t, a great leader, ability to get hot and bust open the stat sheet, comeback ability, composure, solid on all routes.

Anyone that says his arm is weak is exaggerating. As I type this, he's probably working on that area right now.

I'm so happy that Fitz is our QB. I wouldn't trade him for anyone (obv there are superstars out there but I'm being logical) I said a few months ago that Fitz will be a pro bowler this year. I stand by that.

There have been many comments on this board about how QBs should not lift weights or that weightlifting can't improve arm strength.

Seriously? We read the same board but I don't remember ever seeing this sentiment expressed.

I have heard people express the view that if Fitz were able to improve in this area, surely he would already have done it so don't expect much now, but that isn't the same as saying a QB shouldn't lift or can't improve arm strength

There have been many comments on this board about how QBs should not lift weights or that weightlifting can't improve arm strength. I hope this info about Tom House puts those thoughts to rest. I also wish Fitz would go see him because if he could improve his strength and mechanics we could stop these endless discussions on if Fitz is a franchise QB. If House can turn Brees from noodle arm QB to what he is today then he can do the same for Fitz.

The fowllowing is from world renown pitching coach Tom House who also works with NFL QBS.

"Stronger Arms and Upper Body provides proven cross-specific training programs and exercises that will help coaches, athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and professionals improve upper-body strength, power, and muscle endurance to achieve maximum performance gains and minimize risk of injury."

http://www.tomhouse.com/products.asp

" [Alex] Smith wasn’t alone at USC in March. Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and Carson Palmer were also there to get assistance from House. House started working with quarterbacks 10 years ago at the urging of Cam Cameron, who was Chargers offensive coordinator when Brees went to see House for the first time.

Smith’s work focused on increasing strength in his right shoulder and cleaning up mechanical flaws that developed after Smith’s shoulder surgeries. House, who broke down Smith’s motion via three-dimensional video, found that Smith began shifting his head to the left as he threw after the two operations."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/13/alex-smith-tom-brady-and-others-worked-with-baseball-pitching-coach-in-march/

I don't know what Tom Brady did or did ot do to imporve his arm strength. The rap on him coming out of college was that he did not have a strong enough arm. Idon't think anyone would argue that now.

I don't think Fitzpatrick's biggest problem is arm strength.

It's accuracy - particulary on the deep ball.

He goes through spurts where he zips balls through the tiniest windows and makes some of the prettiest passes you've ever seen. Look at the Cincinnati game in 2010, which might have been his most impressive performance. Then he goes through spurts where his accuracy and decision making are pathetic.

Fitz has a lot of mechanical issues when throwing to the left. He keeps his body square to the right, pulls back to throw and then shifts his body to the left in one motion as he's throwing. A lot of these throws have resulted in INTs or just bad passes. His throws to the right have been pretty excellent. Seems to me that he just needs to take an extra moment to turn his shoulders to the left BEFORE making those throws. I'm thinking a better OL will help him calm down in the pocket and make accurate throws anywhere on the field.

Fitz's deep ball might have been compromised further last year due to training camp last year. The team was forced to use 2 half fields and almost no deep ball work was accomplished for both sides of the ball. As I recall Gailey was publicly frustrated with this situation. Obviously it is not the only reason Fitz struggled at times but it is certainly a factor to consider. Has anybody heard if their training camp field has been fixed yet?

I don't know what Tom Brady did or did ot do to imporve his arm strength. The rap on him coming out of college was that he did not have a strong enough arm. Idon't think anyone would argue that now.

I was going to say the same thing. Brady's arm seems to get stronger every year. I know he did a lot of work in the offseason with his private QB coach, who just passed away.

And you know what else helps arm strength? Throwing to legit NFL #1 or #2 receivers who are undrafted and from Youngstown State.

It's the same discussion… mechanics.

If you overthrow the ball your mechanics break down and you lose accuracy.

Fitz has a lot of mechanical issues when throwing to the left. He keeps his body square to the right, pulls back to throw and then shifts his body to the left in one motion as he's throwing. A lot of these throws have resulted in INTs or just bad passes. His throws to the right have been pretty excellent. Seems to me that he just needs to take an extra moment to turn his shoulders to the left BEFORE making those throws. I'm thinking a better OL will help him calm down in the pocket and make accurate throws anywhere on the field.

And thus the hiring of David Lee.

Some unholy combination of steroids, HGH, and the leftovers from an elaborate ritual sacrifice, no doubt. And I am sticking to that until I see evidence otherwise.

kj

He goes through spurts where he zips balls through the tiniest windows and makes some of the prettiest passes you've ever seen. Look at the Cincinnati game in 2010, which might have been his most impressive performance. Then he goes through spurts where his accuracy and decision making are pathetic.

+1

It seems Fitz has to put everything he's got into a hard or deep throw. Some other QBs can make it look easy. Maybe because Fitz has to try so hard to get the velocity, he loses something with accuracy. I cringe every time he sets up to throw deep because it seems like he's throwing for distance, not accuracy, and just putting it up for grabs.

Fitz is never going to change. Average arm strength, Bad throwing motion, blows through his progressions, Stares down receivers, yet for all that he was rewarded with a sixty-million dollar contract.

I congratulate Fitz on being able hoodwink our offensive coaching structure.

Seriously? We read the same board but I don't remember ever seeing this sentiment expressed.

I have heard people express the view that if Fitz were able to improve in this area, surely he would already have done it so don't expect much now, but that isn't the same as saying a QB shouldn't lift or can't improve arm strength

Wow! Really? I've seen it plenty when discussing QB arm strength, especially about Fitz.

Fitz is never going to change. Average arm strength, Bad throwing motion, blows through his progressions, Stares down receivers, yet for all that he was rewarded with a sixty-million dollar contract.

Here's praying that Lee can Help him bc he definitely not hitting the weights as he looks even less muscular than during last preseason.

That right there is the issue. His accuracy has always been a bit erratic. Hopefully, it was as simple as an injury issue in the 2nd half of last season?

I think, I HOPE, a fully healthy season--for him , the line, Fredx, and his receiving core--this year will produce far more consistent and positive results, and stats. :flirt:

Fitz's deep ball might have been compromised further last year due to training camp last year. The team was forced to use 2 half fields and almost no deep ball work was accomplished for both sides of the ball. As I recall Gailey was publicly frustrated with this situation. Obviously it is not the only reason Fitz struggled at times but it is certainly a factor to consider. Has anybody heard if their training camp field has been fixed yet?

That is an interesting theory.

#34 takes a moment from the counseling session at the local state hospital again, always helpful 3 4

Wow! Really? I've seen it plenty when discussing QB arm strength, especially about Fitz.

Truly - remember we're talking about this statement specifically: "how QBs should not lift weights or that weightlifting can't improve arm strength"

If you recall it, I'm sure someone said it, I certainly haven't seen it as a predominant viewpoint. The predominant viewpoint I see is that "Fitz is Fitz" and if he were going to take any steps to improve, he would have already taken them after so long in the league. Also some people explained that players sometimes stop lifting weights during the season for various reasons (to rest injuries, to minimize wear and tear, whatever) - Fitz definitely shrank during the season. We now know he may have stopped due to injury.

The mind boggles at the thought someone believes lifting weights can't improve strength or that any competitive athlete in any sport shouldn't lift weights.

Now I've seen it stated that lifting weights/improved upper body strength doesn't necessarily lead directly to improved QB play, and with that I do agree and I think your post highlights - it has to be the right program, and focused on how the muscles are used when throwing is really key. And I do think Fitz throws from his chest up.

Here's praying that Lee can Help him bc he definitely not hitting the weights as he looks even less muscular than during last preseason.

Agreed on both points, in fact I started a thread on the latter point - last year though, I didn't see photos of him until July or so, and he may have laid off for part of the off-season to let his ribs heal completely. C'mon Fitz we're counting on you - put all you got into being the best QB you can be.

#34 takes a moment from the counseling session at the local state hospital again, always helpful 3 4

Much like your woeful post, Those sessions are mind-numbingly boring. It's more fun wondering what the "CS" in CSBill stands for. I can only imagine :lol:

That right there is the issue. His accuracy has always been a bit erratic. Hopefully, it was as simple as an injury issue in the 2nd half of last season?

I think, I HOPE, a fully healthy season--for him , the line, Fredx, and his receiving core--this year will produce far more consistent and positive results, and stats. :flirt:

That is an interesting theory.

Everything 34 said is pretty much true. Maybe others can use time in the hospital to cure them of their blind faith in a subpar QB like Fitz.