Did Cris Carter just make it easier for Andre to get into HOF?

bbb

He admitted tonight that he put bounties on players. While I like his honesty, and can't blame him for doing it to Romo, I have to think in this climate voters may move from Carter to Reed in the next vote?:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7907610/cris-carter-formerly-minnesota-vikings-admits-authorizing-bounties

YES!!!!!!! That thought ran across my mind

too!!! Thank you Cris!!!

Do people really think that bounties will affect a player's chance at the HOF??

It's certainly not something a single player can gain any advantage from like steroids.

Perhaps I'm confused....

It's certainly not something a single player can gain any advantage from like steroids.

Perhaps I'm confused....

Maybe somebody put a bounty on you? Sorry about your confusion.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind. The voters say they aren't supposed to consider stuff like this, but you can argue this wasn't bad off the field behavior. This was stuff going on during the game. If it sways just a couple voters maybe that is enough momentum for Reed. In the end though, I just don't think he will ever make it.

Bill Romanowski said pregame he was going to end Carters career and Carter asked the OL to take Romanowski out? I vote not guilty, self defence.

I agree, but will Goodell lean on voters not to vote an admitted bounty maker (no matter how justified) in today's climate?

I agree, but will Goodell lean on voters not to vote an admitted bounty maker (no matter how justified) in today's climate?

I doubt if Goodell will put a lot of time and effort into keeping Carter out of the HOF because of a remark on ESPN radio.

Romanowski is the one that needs to be looked at here, not Carter.

He admitted tonight that he put bounties on players. While I like his honesty, and can't blame him for doing it to Romo, I have to think in this climate voters may move from Carter to Reed in the next vote?:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7907610/cris-carter-formerly-minnesota-vikings-admits-authorizing-bounties

I don't think this is even an issue. I believe in the last two years of voting, Andre Reed was ahead of Carter in getting elected to the HOF.

ehh, maybe, maybe not. it could also have the opposite effect: the HOF writers might admire him for his candid honesty at a time when the rest of the league's players "play dumb." i don't condone bounties, but to pretend that they don't exist, or that they will go away because of PR posturing by the league, is foolish. the only way to take the violence out of football is to make it not football.

but enough with bountygate already... suspension, suspension, appeal, appeal -- dear god it's a long off season...

I think it's ridiculous to presume there have not been "personal" bounties through the years. What I mean by that is individual players holding grudges because of past acts or veiled threats. That's not the issue with bountygate -- where the league is cracking down on a "system" instituted as part of the culture of a team. Carter's comments are pretty meaningless.

Perhaps I'm confused....

Ask Pete Rose. Yes I know it is nowhere near the same situation but a black mark goes a long way.

Edited by The Wiz

Bounties are like illegal drugs, been around forever and will continue, despite rules and legislation..

CC must be the dumbest guy to ever play the game. He isn't in the HOF already because of his big mouth and pissing off many that vote. Now he admits to this?

Don't forget his drug abuse!!

Cris Carter..... Where do I start.. Oh yes, he's a Christian now... AFTER stabbing his wife/girlfriend/baby mamma with a steak knife.. he found God, now is the voice of authority.. He speaks with fork tongue... why doesn't the media report on that stuff... AMEN Cris you fool.

Bill Romanowski said pregame he was going to end Carters career and Carter asked the OL to take Romanowski out? I vote not guilty, self defence.

Well Romo is a POS and not getting close to the HOF. I always respect honesty but I have no idea why Carter would ever say this. It doesn't help his cause at all. It's like Cole Hammels saying he hit Bryce Harper on purpose. What's the point of saying it?

And I'm maybe Andre Reed's biggest fan ever, but Carter was probably a slightly better receiver. They are both HOFers though but I still don't know why CC would admit this.

Wow! I had the exact same thought as I read his comments, so there may be a risk that HOF voters will remember it as well.

Still, I suspect it'll be washed out to sea in the daily flush and won't diminish his chances after the story becomes yesterday's news...

I don't think this is even an issue. I believe in the last two years of voting, Andre Reed was ahead of Carter in getting elected to the HOF.

Bingo, you are correct! Each year, Reed made into the final round of voting and both Carter and Brown did not. At that point in the voting, they weren't splitting votes.