RIP Adam Yauch

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/04/beastie-boys-adam-yauch-dead/

Major part of my youth, and huge influence in music. Seen them so many times live, and have many great memories set to their music.

Say what you will about mourning celebrities we dont even know, but he was a part of my life in a certain way.

:cry:

Edited by DrDareustein

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/04/beastie-boys-adam-yauch-dead/

Major part of my youth, and huge influence in music. Seen them so many times live, and have many great memories set to their music.

Say what you will about mourning celebrities we dont even know, but he was a part of my life in a certain way.

:cry:

Damn. I was supposed to see them at All Points West back in Summer '09, but they had to cancel due to Yauch's (then recent) cancer diagnosis. Jay-Z performed instead, and covered "No Sleep Till Brooklyn."

I've never been a diehard fan, but definitely enjoyed their music. 47 is way too damn young...it's really scary how many people are passing in their 40s nowadays...

Damn. I was supposed to see them at All Points West back in Summer '09, but they had to cancel due to Yauch's (then recent) cancer diagnosis. Jay-Z performed instead, and covered "No Sleep Till Brooklyn."

I was at that show :)

A bit of a rainy weekend.

A bit? Criminy, my shoes were unrecognizable by Sunday.

People laughed at our full length rain boots on Saturday morning. A bit of a different laugh track by Saturday night.

Amateurs.

I really really really hate cancer....like them or not(and i love them), they went from novelty act to real act...sad day/month in music history...but he might ne the third so courtney love can come out of hiding once again...

Yeah I was supposed to see them and Rage at Darien Lake in 2000. Never sent my tickets in for a refund neither.

i suppose when rock stars/celebs die by their own devices it hits us hard because we tend to 'idolize' them and/or their 'lifestyle. But here and others you have a guy that was an entertainer that was many of our's age(I'm 49) and he/they NEVER made the headlines in any sort of negative way(at least not that i can recall). They just went about their business of music and some of us liked it, some of us didn't, but they did it business like and just put out quality product after quality product.

I am not a big hip hop fan, but I can appreciate it the ones that do their 'job' 'right' and by these guys seemed to really work at their craft and put out that quality product. When they first came out they were a novelty act, white boys rapping...whiggers(sp?)...

but they kept at it and they didn't diminish what they were doing...they seemed to work hard to release records that appealed to the genre they were targeting...somewhere along the line they crossed over and we of the MTV age started listening to this music that was being played outside of our picket fence neighborhoods, granted there were the 'hoods' and the 'bad asses' that were already listening to NWA, etc....but all of a sudden this 'music' became available and acceptable to our/my whitebread world and while some of us would NEVER admit to liking the Beastie Boys, we always had a guilty pleasure everytime one of their songs came on....they were almost the Clash of the 90's generation...the Clash made it 'acceptable' to like punk rock...the Beasties made it 'acceptable' to like rap/hip hop.

While I in no way want to equate the Clash to the Beasties, i want to equate the 'phenomenon' of the two bands...most call them cross overs but that is such a worn out term.

I am one of those that never embraced the Beasties until about 15 months or so again, but would always turn them up when i heard then on the radio/stereo.

and to be taken by this goddam disease cancer really makes it that much worse...again, like joe strummer(heart disease), Frank Zappa, Warren Zevon, I/We mourn these artists more(but still we mourn)than the Cobains, Terry Kath(look it up younguns) etc...these people had no choice, they were taken away by ****ty diseases....

I can't believe i am typing a post this long...i normally try to stay away from these 'RIP' threads, but MCA was my peer....and he didn't mean to die, nor did he need to die....

I am very sad about Adam Yauch dying and that surprises me.....

sorry if this was disjointed and rambling, but it impacted me today....and i am sad....

carry on.

I got to the 43 second mark and I started to get a headache.

At least I tried......

:lol:

This should be much easier to get through. A song from their funk/dub side. Give it a shot.

Adam Yauch on the stand up bass, like a boss...

Song actually starts 17sec in.

Edited by DrDareustein

I remember when I was in 3rd grade at the movies and some 4th graders were trying to ride us and asked what music we listened to. I said Beastie Boys b/c it was the most hardcore band I listened to. They laughed like we'd just said Raffi and one upped us by telling us, very condescendingly, that they liked Bon Jovi. Oh, the irony.

I hate rap and don't know anything by them except for Fight for your Right.........But, due to some weird circumstances, I saw them on their first controversial tour when they were being banned and arrested and all that. I saw them at UB - backstage standing next to Rick James!

The two things I remember most are them going off and the crowd cheering for an encore. Adam was hidden from them, right next to me behind the speakers and says "Do you want to hear some more?" The crowd goes crazy. And, he says "Well, suck my dick!"

Then they come back out with some sort of penis coming out of the stage (this was what they kept getting banned for).

For me its not about liking or disliking rap...i think they transcended that...they bridged a generation of music lovers...aka. crossover...without the beasties we wouldnt have chili peppers, living color, kid rock, korn etc...(not to say music is better off with the latter 2) but it made it more accessible and added a new dimension to rock & roll to be more inclusive to all of us.

I hate rap and don't know anything by them except for Fight for your Right.........But, due to some weird circumstances, I saw them on their first controversial tour when they were being banned and arrested and all that. I saw them at UB - backstage standing next to Rick James!

The two things I remember most are them going off and the crowd cheering for an encore. Adam was hidden from them, right next to me behind the speakers and says "Do you want to hear some more?" The crowd goes crazy. And, he says "Well, suck my dick!"

Then they come back out with some sort of penis coming out of the stage (this was what they kept getting banned for).