Womb to Tomb - Obama's Got You Covered

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NERD!!

I wear my nerd badge with honor. It's right next to my jock, deadhead, and preppy/mod badges.

Yet, I don't see how being aware of a Highlander reference makes you, especially as a girl, any less of a nerd than I. So there. :lol:

She couldn't open it without Obama...

Really, you don't think that whole thing was obscenely patronizing?

This is what struck me, too. But I understand what they're doing. They're giving an example so when conservatives criticize it, they can say "You see? Republicans hate women."

Running under the mainstream radar right now is a little-run story about the race between Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren (Obama's former potential consumer czar or something) for the Mass. Senate seat. It was recently discovered that Warren was accepted into Harvard because she claimed on her application to be a Native American minority. This was never verified by anyone, so she has been on the defensive lately, explaining that -- in addition to the fact that she got her cheekbones from her grandfather, who "had high cheekbones like all Indians do," -- she and her staff have repeatedly explained that the only reason that this is an issue is because Scott Brown hates women. No. I'm not kidding.

(As a side note, a genealogist traced her roots and she is apparently 1/32nd Native American, which is not sitting well with actual Native Americans.)

This is what struck me, too. But I understand what they're doing. They're giving an example so when conservatives criticize it, they can say "You see? Republicans hate women."

Running under the mainstream radar right now is a little-run story about the race between Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren (Obama's former potential consumer czar or something) for the Mass. Senate seat. It was recently discovered that Warren was accepted into Harvard because she claimed on her application to be a Native American minority. This was never verified by anyone, so she has been on the defensive lately, explaining that -- in addition to the fact that she got her cheekbones from her grandfather, who "had high cheekbones like all Indians do," -- she and her staff have repeatedly explained that the only reason that this is an issue is because Scott Brown hates women. No. I'm not kidding.

(As a side note, a genealogist traced her roots and she is apparently 1/32nd Native American, which is not sitting well with actual Native Americans.)

And you know...just did a bit of research, and Obama is taking a HELL of a lot of credit for equal pay. Considering that the Civil Rights act guaranteed equal pay in 1964, and the only thing Obama did was sign an law that changed the statute of limitations, he's overstating his contribution an awful lot.

But considering that the administration seems to think that women can't even perform at their jobs because their so consumed with worry about their birth control, I'm sure they expect that women are too distracted to notice the ridiculousness of that claim as well.

And you know...just did a bit of research, and Obama is taking a HELL of a lot of credit for equal pay. Considering that the Civil Rights act guaranteed equal pay in 1964, and the only thing Obama did was sign an law that changed the statute of limitations, he's overstating his contribution an awful lot.

But considering that the administration seems to think that women can't even perform at their jobs because their so consumed with worry about their birth control, I'm sure they expect that women are too distracted to notice the ridiculousness of that claim as well.

Not to mention the reports recently that women on the WH payroll earn, on the average, 18% less than men.

But hey...such is the life of Julia.

The Life of Julia

By Yuval Levin

May 3, 2012

I don’t think I have ever seen a cultural artifact that so desperately begs to be parodied and ridiculed, and is so ill-suited to the audience it is intended to reach, as the Obama campaign’s “Life of Julia.” If you haven’t seen it yet, you really need to.

From the overarching narrative of drab dependency to the comically blunt and clumsy contrasts with Romney, the utterly unironic pseudo-edginess (“Julia starts her own web business”), the self-caricaturing lifestyle liberalism (“this allows her to volunteer at a community garden”), the un-self-conscious intermixing of the vocabularies of liberty and entitlement (“thanks to Obamacare, her health insurance is required to cover birth control”), the imagery of studied nonchalance, and the whole look and feel of the enterprise, it appears to have been created by people deeply immersed in the culture of over-educated twenty-something hipster self-effacement but unaware that it is all intended sarcastically. It’s like Portlandia earnestly offered up as a drama.

It’s not just that each of its elements can be easily parodied, it’s that every single one of them is a perfectly common feature of contemporary satire, and the whole thing — right down to the fact that it is a web slideshow that can be very easily aped by countless clever and tech-savvy smart-alecks sitting underemployed in front of computers right now — feels like a joke and yet isn’t.

{snip}

Above all, though, the Life of Julia is deeply telling of the view of American life underlying contemporary progressivism. Mitt Romney has taken to describing President Obama’s vision of America as one of a government-centered society. It’s hard to imagine a more perfect illustration of what he means than this.

National Review

I feel bad for Julia. She seems almost completely incapable of taking care of herself.

I know, Obama had to go to school for her, do her homework for her, get her college degree for her... He did all the web designing for her. He even opened her company for her. She didn't have to put any work in herself. It was all Obama. (or Barry as you like to call him)

These are policies that he believes will help level the playing field between Julia and people who may have grown up in more affluent families. Julia has to put in the work.

I wear my nerd badge with honor. It's right next to my jock, deadhead, and preppy/mod badges.

Yet, I don't see how being aware of a Highlander reference makes you, especially as a girl, any less of a nerd than I. So there. :lol:

HERE WE ARE! BORN TO BE KINGS WE'RE THE PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE!!

I love that song!

I can see your point. And I agree with you guys in believing that these recent campaign stunts are going to backfire drastically on Obama. "The Republican War On Women" is nothing but made up propaganda just like "Class Warfare". The choice of a woman as the example was well planned to fit into the campaign slogans.

I'm late to the party on this one. I've been on the road all day and just got around to looking at the OP. If I had looked at this before all the comments here I would have busted LA's balls for trying to pass an "Onion" article off as serious. This has got to be used as a way to differentiate Romney from Obama. Damn, I'm turning over in my grave and I'm not even dead yet! Unless this is the "Twilight Zone".................

I have avoided Twitter as much as possible, but I can do it no longer. The comments on Julia are just outstanding. One of my favorites:

“at 37, Julia completes her Masters degree in Interactive Website Design. At 43, she gets a job pulling a solar powered rickshaw.”

And you associate that with zucchini? You never cease to amaze.

In this thread with these players? JA has been going overboard on the gay rights thing. Personally I don't give a schit, but since JA appears to walk around and post with a corncob up his pleasure hole, I figured I could make a totally un PC remark and get away with it. Lighten up.

In this thread with these players? JA has been going overboard on the gay rights thing. Personally I don't give a schit, but since JA appears to walk around and post with a corncob up his pleasure hole, I figured I could make a totally un PC remark and get away with it. Lighten up.

Relax, I was just having a little fun.

These are policies that he believes will help level the playing field between Julia and people who may have grown up in more affluent families. Julia has to put in the work.

Oh boy, must be an election year! The lemmings are dusting off the old "level the playing field" sound-byte.

Too bad you fail to understand that most people just want to get onto the playing field to see what they can accomplish and don't really need Big Brother to tell them to constantly interfere.

I know, Obama had to go to school for her, do her homework for her, get her college degree for her... He did all the web designing for her. He even opened her company for her. She didn't have to put any work in herself. It was all Obama. (or Barry as you like to call him)

You mean to say Julia had absolutely no opportunity to go to school, build a career, start a business, and be responsible for her own body before Obama took office and "leveled the playing field"?

BTW, I've never called Obama "Barry." That you think I have speaks volumes about you.

"There are no actual people who are benefiting from my policies so here's a made up person :lol:

Any attempt to refute this nonsense will certainly be dubbed by the media as the "Republican War Against Imaginary Women."

Edited by Jauronimo

Oh boy, must be an election year! The lemmings are dusting off the old "level the playing field" sound-byte.

Too bad you fail to understand that most people just want to get onto the playing field to see what they can accomplish and don't really need Big Brother to tell them to constantly interfere.

Must be an election year if the lemmings are dusting off the old "Big Brother" crap.

Though here I don't know who "them" are and what "them" are going to constantly interfere with.