So What are the Weakest Links, post-draft

I love what the Bills did with the draft FINALLY building depth on the Oline and at LB. The positions that I'm worries about are:

QB- Fitz is a great stop gap but the longer the Bills wait to draft and develop a QB of the future, the longer the Bills will not be a serious Super Bowl contender. What could help Fitz? RUN THE BALL MORE!!!

WR- It's Easley or bust. Smith, Graham, Jones, Nelson, Roosevelt and Martin are NOT #2s and maybe not even good #3's. Stevie is more of a great #2, not a #1. The Bills have a limited QB who has doesn't have great weapons. Makes no sense to me. That being said, if Chan realizes that he has 2 really good RBs and a solid Oline, maybe Fits won't have to throw it 100 times a game. We'll see.

DE- I know Mario and Anderson was signed but after those guys the Bills are thin. Kelsay is a year older and counting on Merriman to anything other than put on a jersey is wishful thinking.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love what the Bills did with the draft FINALLY building depth on the Oline and at LB. The positions that I'm worries about are:

QB- Fitz is a great stop gap but the longer the Bills wait to draft and develop a QB of the future, the longer the Bills will not be a serious Super Bowl contender. What could help Fitz? RUN THE BALL MORE!!!

WR- It's Easley or bust. Smith, Graham, Jones, Nelson, Roosevelt and Martin are NOT #2s and maybe not even good #3's. Stevie is more of a great #2, not a #1. The Bills have a limited QB who has doesn't have great weapons. Makes no sense to me. That being said, if Chan realizes that he has 2 really good RBs and a solid Oline, maybe Fits won't have to throw it 100 times a game. We'll see.

DE- I know Mario and Anderson was signed but after those guys the Bills are thin. Kelsay is a year older and counting on Merriman to anything other than put on a jersey is wishful thinking.

I think the Bills should bring back TO as the transitional #2 WR for Easley and/or Graham. He and Fitzpatrick had a great connection going before he left Buffalo and his "diva" days look to be long over. This team is ready for a real run and TO is my choice for the #2 guy to at least start the season in that spot...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18431803/terrell-owens-on-nfl-return-definitely-that-is-the-plan

“As far as health, I'm fine. I'm just looking for an opportunity." Owens said. "The Indoor League is quicker…it's faster than the outdoor game. It has enhanced my route running ability. If anything, I've benefited from, and noticed how quick coming in and out of my breaks I've become.”

Former Buccaneers linebacker Derrick Brooks, who now serves as the president and general manager of the AFL's Tampa Bay Storm, has scouted Owens and came away impressed.

I see humility and I see hunger. A lot of guys would not step back and play indoor football to prove to teams that they can still play," he said. "The hunger is still there. You can see it when he plays.”

Bring him back Buddy!

Let me make the droll case for the obvious.

Owner

General Manager

Head Coach

Coaching Staff

Stadium

QB

WR

Lack of National respect

Lack of MNF @ The Ralph

Negative Local Media Coverage

Negative National Media Coverage

Other than that, we're SuperBow Champs in 2013, hands down.

Yes, negative media coverage has been holding back the chances of winning a Super Bowl. Great insight.

I can see that this thread is going to attract all the Fitz haters. I probably should have excluded starting QB...

Only because he is one of the weak links.

QB- Statistically and in regards to wins & losses, he is a journeyman QB. Journeyman QBs RARELY win championships.

WR- Still need the guy who's "not covered when he's covered" + another speed guy

TE- currently no big play potential

LB- Jury's out on Morrison and Sheppard, IMO. Drafted players mostly for depth not starters.

I haven't heard anyone mention a glaring weakness: 30+ year old exceptional running back. Fred is going into his last year. I think the front office needs to focus there before the season starts. We don't have any 30+ year old exceptional RB behind Fred and they are not easy to find in free agency..

We talked about this in the Shoutbox a bit while waiting for our new Kicker to get selected; I will repeat what I said up there.

...[lengthy write up here]...

Holy cow, you put all that in the Shout box? :lol:

Nice write up. I can't disagree with your main points at all.

I will add to the list: Punter. This is a footnote to our list of needs of course. I think Moorman's best days are behind him. He's served us well, but i no longer feel like he's a strength going into the season.

I didn't forget anything, I merely asked where posters feel the weakest links are.

I can see that this thread is going to attract all the Fitz haters. I probably should have excluded starting QB...

I'm not a Fitz hater and to be honest I think we got good depth out of this draft with some early round guys who may contribute. But if you think That all the Pressure is not on Fitz your nuts. If Fitz struggles so goes the Bills. The defense is better equipped to keep us in games but all the pressure is on the rifle's shoulders period.

I think the Bills should bring back TO as the transitional #2 WR for Easley and/or Graham. He and Fitzpatrick had a great connection going before he left Buffalo and his "diva" days look to be long over. This team is ready for a real run and TO is my choice for the #2 guy to at least start the season in that spot...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18431803/terrell-owens-on-nfl-return-definitely-that-is-the-plan

“As far as health, I'm fine. I'm just looking for an opportunity." Owens said. "The Indoor League is quicker…it's faster than the outdoor game. It has enhanced my route running ability. If anything, I've benefited from, and noticed how quick coming in and out of my breaks I've become.”

Former Buccaneers linebacker Derrick Brooks, who now serves as the president and general manager of the AFL's Tampa Bay Storm, has scouted Owens and came away impressed.

I see humility and I see hunger. A lot of guys would not step back and play indoor football to prove to teams that they can still play," he said. "The hunger is still there. You can see it when he plays.”

Bring him back Buddy!

He's done, and every team knows it. Maybe you will figure it out too, and stop mentioning him.

Kemp meet sarcasm.

Sarcasm, Kemp.

I will add to the list: Punter. This is a footnote to our list of needs of course. I think Moorman's best days are behind him. He's served us well, but i no longer feel like he's a strength going into the season.

The Bills signed Shawn Powell, Florida State.

Many people consider him the best punter in this year's crop.

A backup QB, and could use a 2nd TE, Chandler is decent, but no depth behind him...! and if Easley dosent pan out, they still need a big fast WR, let's hope there's some good players available when training camp cuts start...

I'm not a Fitz hater and to be honest I think we got good depth out of this draft with some early round guys who may contribute. But if you think That all the Pressure is not on Fitz your nuts. If Fitz struggles so goes the Bills. The defense is better equipped to keep us in games but all the pressure is on the rifle's shoulders period.

I am more interested in discussing positions other than 1st QB. I mentioned excluding 1st QB, because I don't want the thread to turn into another "Is Fitz good enough?" discussion, of which there are plenty already on this board.

I am very happy with this draft, and think they have taken care of some key problems.

Now that the draft is over, what do you all feel are the weakest links on this team? I'm thinking Tight-End, Outside LB, Back-up QB, and still WR.

For a team that talked about how much they liked their O-line, they sure spent some picks on it. I am still concerned that they might not have really upgraded at WR.

Thigoen hasnt shown anything in Blo but Chan did have some good production from him in Kansas City.

I am more interested in discussing positions other than 1st QB. I mentioned excluding 1st QB, because I don't want the thread to turn into another "Is Fitz good enough?" discussion, of which there are plenty already on this board.

+1

I am very happy with this draft, and think they have taken care of some key problems.

Now that the draft is over, what do you all feel are the weakest links on this team? I'm thinking Tight-End, Outside LB, Back-up QB, and still WR.

For a team that talked about how much they liked their O-line, they sure spent some picks on it. I am still concerned that they might not have really upgraded at WR.

I pretty much agree with you on all points.

I think I'm most concerned about LB. We picked up a couple of potential BEAST LBs, but we were so thin to start with all we can do is hope one of last year's LB (Moats, Batten, etc) can slim down and step up or we pick up some depth in FA.

I hope they knew what they were doing with the Graham kid, but all signs point to a project, not an immediate contributor, so yeah, I'm afraid you're right at WR. All I can think is while they didn't talk about it much, they must really feel that between Aiken, Clowney, Easley, and Hagen a legitimate 2012 candidate for #2 will emerge. I hope they aren't counting on Donald Jones because I was under-impressed with his hands and ability to adjust his routes.

Chandler is the best TE B'lo has had in a long time, and Lee Smith shows promise, but I still think we could upgrade. We only have so many picks, though, so I'm happy with what we got overall.

I think we just have to wait and see. Thigpen grossly under-performed his prev. mediocre statistics last year. If a full off-season with the playbook and the WR lets him rise to his 2nd year in KC/last year in MIA level, he could be adequate.

I hope this Air Corp kid can show something, but again all signs point to "project"

(punter)

The Bills signed Shawn Powell, Florida State. Many people consider him the best punter in this year's crop.

What, better than Bryan Anger who was drafted by Jac in the 3rd round?

Edited by Hopeful

We talked about this in the Shoutbox a bit while waiting for our new Kicker to get selected; I will repeat what I said up there.

I'm amazed that you put all that in the Shoutbox.

Overall, one of the best analyses I've ever seen here.

You don't have to get all Angry!

:)

You meant "Angered" didn't you? :rolleyes:

You meant "Angered" didn't you? :rolleyes:

Personally I only use that word when I'm talking about Indy LB Pat Angerer.

On a related subject, I am relieved for Captain Hindsight's sake that it wasn't the Bills who drafted him. Just the thought of that possibility really sent his blood pressure soaring.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I think the Bills should bring back TO as the transitional #2 WR for Easley and/or Graham. He and Fitzpatrick had a great connection going before he left Buffalo and his "diva" days look to be long over. This team is ready for a real run and TO is my choice for the #2 guy to at least start the season in that spot..

Bring him back Buddy!

I would welcome him with open arms. An incentive laden contract would be a must. He would greatly improve our team and give Graham some time to develop. I'm in!

Kemp meet sarcasm.

I don't know the poster and therefore cannot distinguish between sarcasm and stupidity in this case, and after reading lots of not too bright posts I could not be sure.