Do you have to be from buffalo/ny to be a real fan?

tito1

On the radio the other day in Ohio, they were "dissing" fans of other teams who were from Ohio (ex. Cowboys fans who grew up in Cleveland). I have been a fan of buffalo since I was 8 yrs old ad I grew up in wv and super bowl xxv was the first game I ever watched. Ever since, been a huge fan since and have no association with western NY. I am a first time season ticket holder for the 2012 season by the way.

So, because I have no association with western NY, can't I be a real fan? I love the buffalo area. I took offense to the remarks on the radio

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On the radio the other day in Ohio, they were "dissing" fans of other teams who were from Ohio (ex. Cowboys fans who grew up in Cleveland). I have been a fan of buffalo since I was 8 yrs old ad I grew up in wv and super bowl xxv was the first game I ever watched. Ever since, been a huge fan since and have no association with western NY. I am a first time season ticket holder for the 2012 season by the way.

So, because I have no association with western NY, can't I be a real fan? I love the buffalo area. I took offense to the remarks on the radio

:thumbsup: anyone can be a fan of the bills we welcome everyone with open arms and im from Rochester and have friends that are fans of every team in the NFL but still root for the bills as there 2nd team because they are the home team

Edited by superbills315

At the time you probably would have been accused of being a bandwagon fan for joining up during the Superbowl run and not being from WNY or having local ties, but in sticking with them for the 18 years since they were last in the Superbowl and 12 years since they were last in the playoffs, I'd say you've been around long enough to prove otherwise. I wouldn't worry too much about what some people on the radio say. Anyway, it sounds like the situation they were describing is the opposite of yours. In dissing locals who support other teams, they're taking a stance of "If you're from here you should support the home team," which is not the same as "If you're not from here, you aren't allowed to like us." I'm sure most of the Ohians who have a problem with Cowboys fans from Cleveland wouldn't mind a Browns fan from Montana, for example.

I was born and raised in San Jose, CA. In the mid-eighties, when I was a toddler, the closest family friends we had (who happened to be from Buffalo) introduced me to NFL football via the Bills. I have been as die-hard as they come since then. I have been to every Bills game @SF and @OAK since 1994(fkn darrick holmes). I just recently moved to the Boston area, so I was finally able to see the Bills play at home, attend training camp, and even went to the miserable excuse for a home field they have down there in foxboro.

I am a real fan. I have taken more crap for my team and fought for them more than anybody I know.

GO BILLS!

Second generation Bills fan. Been a Bills fan since I was born. Not from NY. Live on Vancouver Island. if I'm not a real fan, I have no idea who is. Anybody doubting me should ask my wife.

Go Bills!!!!!

You're okay as long as you don't want the Bills to move out of Buffalo. I have ZERO tolerance for Bills fans who live elsewhere in the country and who are fine with the Bills relocating closer to where they live now. "Elsewhere" includes Toronto, by the way. I hope fans like that choke on a bag of dicks and die.

Yeah, everyone I talk to says "why are you a fan of the bills?" I think at 8 yrs old, it was the bills being good and those sweet uniforms haha. But ever since, I have been a die hard fan since and I love the buffalo area (from the times I've had the opportunity to visit) I'm so freaking pumped about being a season ticket holder and going to the games this fall.

I hope not!! I'm from Australia and im a fan through and through! I have flown to Buffalo from Australia at least 3 times for games. I dont know what else I need to do to be a real fan... I even own a pair of zubaz pants! haha

I'd be devastated if the bills left buffalo. Even if I don't live on the area, it is my team and what I live for on Sunday's.

Love the bills fans, the best in the NFL. We are turning the corner fellas, this team is on the rise!

You're okay as long as you don't want the Bills to move out of Buffalo. I have ZERO tolerance for Bills fans who live elsewhere in the country and who are fine with the Bills relocating closer to where they live now. "Elsewhere" includes Toronto, by the way. I hope fans like that choke on a bag of dicks and die.

While harsh, I agree with your sentiment. The Bills that I love are the BUFFALO Bills. The Toronto Bills would not be my favorite team, though it would be damn tough to switch allegiances to another franchise. I became a rabid fan in 87 after my first game at the Ralph.

I've been a fan since the late '80's and I've never lived in Buffalo. Born in Montana, raised in San Diego, and currently live in DC. And I've somehow stuck with the Bills all this time. :lol:

You can call me a real fan or not, I couldn't care less. I *chose* the Bills when I was young, and I stuck with them.

Edit: I didn't really have "home" teams, because of the moves, and I didn't feel connected to a "home", so I chose my favorite teams to *watch* in the '80's. I ended up being a Buffalo Bills fan, and LA Dodgers/Lakers fans (Kirk Gibson's '88 Homerun was the greatest moment in sports of my youth, still sends chills).

Edited by Dorkington

I hope not!! I'm from Australia and im a fan through and through! I have flown to Buffalo from Australia at least 3 times for games. I dont know what else I need to do to be a real fan... I even own a pair of zubaz pants! haha

Zubaz definitely make u a real fan - and at least u don't have to live here - unless u live in Perth u have it better!

You can certainly be a fan of the Bills wherever you live.

I think those of us who grew up or live in Buffalo have an emotional connection to the city/team that is difficult to explain.

This doesn't make anyone more or less of a fan, but it brings the whole experience to another level.

RTB