Evidence the Bills dont trade up

peterpan

Did anyone else go to the Bills website, before the draft was over, and notice that there was already a video interview with Buddy and Chan uploaded? Talking about the Gilmore pick? I found this odd that the two top dogs in the organization would step out of the war room to do an interview with the media. Shouldn’t they be watching and waiting for guys to fall or teams to call with trade offers or something?

Anyone else fidn this odd?

The average pick took less than 6 mins. They missed more than 1 pick. Not a huge deal, but I think that makes it obvious that under no circumstances would they be willing to move up, because if there was a chance of it....they would have stayed in the draft room.

The average pick took less than 6 mins. They missed more than 1 pick. Not a huge deal, but I think that makes it obvious that under no circumstances would they be willing to move up, because if there was a chance of it....they would have stayed in the draft room.

So two picks would have taken 12 minutes? Did I forget to carry the one?

So two picks would have taken 12 minutes? Did I forget to carry the one?

You act like since the video online was only ten mins long they must have only been out of the war room for ten mins. What if it was a 25 min interview and they only posted a 10 min video? What if it took 70 year old Buddy 5 mins to walk from the war room to the media room, and then another 5 mins to get back?

They easily could have missed picks 14-20 or 18-25 or something, and missed an opportunity to trade up for a player they really loved. They likely didnt, but if you are the GM of an NFL team, you dont risk it. That is, unless you have no intentions wahtsoever to trade up, which was my original point.

Edited by peterpan

Being GM is a multifaceted job. He is responsible for more than just player acquisition. Stepping out to do an interview to please his fan base and generate the revenues necessary to pay the player just drafted as well as Super Mario requires this type of behavior.

We get mad when they don't tell us what is going on and mad when they do. I look at it like him coming out to tell us that "the baby is here."

You act like since the video online was only ten mins long they must have only been out of the war room for ten mins. What if it was a 25 min interview and they only posted a 10 min video? What if it took 70 year old Buddy 5 mins to walk from the war room to the media room, and then another 5 mins to get back?

They easily could have missed picks 14-20 or 18-25 or something, and missed an opportunity to trade up for a player they really loved. They likely didnt, but if you are the GM of an NFL team, you dont risk it. That is, unless you have no intentions wahtsoever to trade up, which was my original point.

Buddy hates to give up draft picks. He had no intentions to trade up so he went to do an interview. I honestly have no problem with this whatsoever

wow. This is a complete non-issue for me. Their are numerous people in the war room manning the phones, if something came up they would certainly interrupt the interview. I'm sure Buddy had a grasp on what players were still available, what they other teams were planning and what picks were available via trade. He decided he could take a few minutes to do an interview. Who cares?

Sounds to me like the Bills are moving in the right direction if this is the biggest issue to complain about.

Wow.....Some people just don't have a clue.

First, if there was a player that they wanted so badly then they wouldn't of drafted Gilmore.

Second, the GM isn't the only person involved in player personnel moves. Do you really think that Buddy is the only one who talks to all the agents, players and other GM's?

Third, if there was someone that they wanted and there was a reasonable deal to be made then someone would of got a hold of Buddy. Just cause he is in a press conference doesn't mean that he can't be interrupted.

Some of you should get a grip. They don't have to be in there at all times. I honestly believe that some of yoou think the Bills should hire a guy who runs around with a Snapple bottle so Buddy doesn't have to get up and go to the washroom.

Thats what I am saying, nothing more.

I'm shocked because your opening post had a lot of question marks and comments in it. To answer your question, no, it wasn't odd that they did an interview about the Gilmore pick immediately after the pick was announced. I'm glad they did it because it hopefully helped some of the fans back away from the ledge. I would say that the Bills war room was in good hands should an opportunity have presented itself to the Bills to do something else.

It must have been horrific in the Bills' War Room. Buddy gone. The phones ringing unanswered for whole seconds. The draft board left completely unattended. The wheel of the Titanic left metaphorically unattended as the Bills' draft veered into the proverbial iceberg. Scouts and the rest of the Bills staff were running into each other screaming, "Women and children first."

Ease up. If a great offer had come in, there was probably someone delegated to make the decision. If we're talking about trading into picks 11 through 15, the ammo that would have taken would have been incredible. Probably next year's first rounder. Furthermore, let's hope the Bills know their board and know if there's someone they want that badly. And as another poster pointed out, football is a show. Interviews with the media are a critical part of a GM's job.

If Nix had been seen smoking a cigar, watching Conan in his underwear during the last ten picks of the first round, you might have some evidence. Otherwise, carry on. Nothing to see.

so what you have officially proven is that for a stretch of 1 to possibly 6 picks they didnt feel like there was value on the board to fight to get back to urgently?

It must have been horrific in the Bills' War Room. Buddy gone. The phones ringing unanswered for whole seconds. The draft board left completely unattended. The wheel of the Titanic left metaphorically unattended as the Bills' draft veered into the proverbial iceberg. Scouts and the rest of the Bills staff were running into each other screaming, "Women and children first."

Ease up. If a great offer had come in, there was probably someone delegated to make the decision. If we're talking about trading into picks 11 through 15, the ammo that would have taken would have been incredible. Probably next year's first rounder. Furthermore, let's hope the Bills know their board and know if there's someone they want that badly. And as another poster pointed out, football is a show. Interviews with the media are a critical part of a GM's job.

If Nix had been seen smoking a cigar, watching Conan in his underwear during the last ten picks of the first round, you might have some evidence. Otherwise, carry on. Nothing to see.

i mean, id like to think that he wasnt completely out of ear shot, should someone need to reach him.

i mean, id like to think that he wasnt completely out of ear shot, should someone need to reach him.

I thought about that. You wouldn't exactly want some scout to go all Howard's mother from the Big Bang Theory: "HEY BUDDY! ARIZONA WANTS NEXT YEARS FIRST AND THIS YEARS SECOND FOR THEIR FIRST! THEY'LL THROW IN SOME BRISKET!" But you're right. They could probably run out and grab him.