Tank Carder....is the 2nd too early for him?

PIZ

I really think Kuechley was a consideration (if he was there), but I don't think he would have been taken. I think they saw better value in getting Gilmore and then Carder in the 2nd or 3rd round. He is the kind of LB Wannstadt wants, and he did make a pre-draft visit.

FROM WALTERFOOTBALL.com

Tank Carder, ILB/OLB, TCU

Height: 6-2. Weight: 236.

40 Time: 4.56.

Bench: 19.

Vertical: 34.5. Broad: 10-1.

Arm: 31 1/2. Hand: 9.

Projected Round (2012): 3.

4/25/12: Carder had a phenomenal Combine and pro day where he showed off more speed than many gave him credit for. With those two performances, he illustrated his speed to cover a lot of ground in the NFL. Carder has received a fair amount of interest in the form of pre-draft visits.

Carder started out the season slowly and looked like he missed teammate Tanner Brock, but in the second half of the season, Carder picked up his play. He finished with 70 tackles with 4.5 tackles for a loss this year. Carder also had two interceptions returned for scores this season. One was returned 26 yards and the other was a 69-yard run back. He is a tough football player who has good tackling technique. For the second straight year, Carder was the Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year.

Carder combines good speed and instincts. He could continue to add some bulk and play on the inside of a 3-4 defense. Carder has the quickness to play outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense and would fit as a 4-3 middle linebacker if he continues to add weight. Carder is a high-character individual who will be a positive presence in the locker room.

8/25/11: Tank Carder has a lot of buzz about him heading into his senior year. Carder had 60 tackles last season with 9.5 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception and one fumble recovery. The leader of TCU's defense, Carder was a second-team AP All-American last season. In 2009, Carder broke into the starting lineup and registered 89 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss. Carder looks like a middle linebacker for multiple defenses although he can play outside linebacker as well. Carder is a hard-nosed football player.

I really think Kuechley was a consideration (if he was there), but I don't think he would have been taken. I think they saw better value in getting Gilmore and then Carder in the 2nd or 3rd round. He is the kind of LB Wannstadt wants, and he did make a pre-draft visit.

FROM WALTERFOOTBALL.com

Tank Carder, ILB/OLB, TCU

Height: 6-2. Weight: 236.

40 Time: 4.56.

Bench: 19.

Vertical: 34.5. Broad: 10-1.

Arm: 31 1/2. Hand: 9.

Projected Round (2012): 3.

4/25/12: Carder had a phenomenal Combine and pro day where he showed off more speed than many gave him credit for. With those two performances, he illustrated his speed to cover a lot of ground in the NFL. Carder has received a fair amount of interest in the form of pre-draft visits.

Carder started out the season slowly and looked like he missed teammate Tanner Brock, but in the second half of the season, Carder picked up his play. He finished with 70 tackles with 4.5 tackles for a loss this year. Carder also had two interceptions returned for scores this season. One was returned 26 yards and the other was a 69-yard run back. He is a tough football player who has good tackling technique. For the second straight year, Carder was the Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year.

Carder combines good speed and instincts. He could continue to add some bulk and play on the inside of a 3-4 defense. Carder has the quickness to play outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense and would fit as a 4-3 middle linebacker if he continues to add weight. Carder is a high-character individual who will be a positive presence in the locker room.

8/25/11: Tank Carder has a lot of buzz about him heading into his senior year. Carder had 60 tackles last season with 9.5 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception and one fumble recovery. The leader of TCU's defense, Carder was a second-team AP All-American last season. In 2009, Carder broke into the starting lineup and registered 89 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss. Carder looks like a middle linebacker for multiple defenses although he can play outside linebacker as well. Carder is a hard-nosed football player.

Would love to have him but I have seen as a 4 -6 rounder so hopefully we can get him there. Really think he can cover just as good as Kuechly and he is nastier at the point of attack.

FWIW, Draft Tek had him in the 4th-round range.