Danny Batten at DE

Now that Batten is at DE he may finally capitalize on his pass rushing Potential. We all saw Flashes of it but really think he was out of place at OLB even though he was the right size. I think if he muscles up to 265 we could have another pass rusher on this team. Here is a report on him from 2010.

"Batten doesn’t have off the charts athletic ability and he isn’t going to fool anyone into thinking that he was a five star recruit out of high school with his small college roots, but heart cannot be measured. More than 300 career tackles and 25 sacks make him more than just productive as a collegiate player as well playing as a small pass rusher with South Dakota State. At 6’3” 246lbs. he has the size to play the outside linebacker spot at the next level and his 40 yard dash time of 4.71 seconds along with 30 reps at 225lbs. on the bench press suggest that he also has the necessary strength and speed to be effective at the NFL level."

http://blog.blitznation.com/2010/04/12/under-the-radar-danny-batten/

Danny Batten: "I'm Not Going To Let Them Cut Me." - WGR 550 SportsRadio

"My main asset is how hard I play and my non-stop motor. I love hitting people, I'll go and hit people as their falling to the ground. If I'm on the field as a defensive player and I'm not making a tackle, I failed on that play. I'm gonna play as hard as I can, as fast as I can, and as mean as I can on every single play."

I'll be shocked if he makes the team

DE for the Bills for 2012(most likely): M. Williams, M. Anderson, C. Kelsay, S. Merriman

Then I'd see the Bills possibly having 1 or 2 more for depth... Could be Batten or White or maybe a draft pick, but he'd definitely special teams.

So yea, I'd be shocked if he makes the team.

DE for the Bills for 2012(most likely): M. Williams, M. Anderson, C. Kelsay, S. Merriman

Then I'd see the Bills possibly having 1 or 2 more for depth... Could be Batten or White or maybe a draft pick, but he'd definitely special teams.

Merriman wil be listed as an OLB but agree he may be lined up with hand on the ground at DE at times. More likely he rushes from outside Mario Williams shoulder. Arrington will be the other DE.

Merriman wil be listed as an OLB but agree he may be lined up with hand on the ground at DE at times. More likely he rushes from outside Mario Williams shoulder. Arrington will be the other DE.

I think at this point the bills have put Carrington at dt. Seems like they don't think Carrington is quick enough to play DE. Not suprising since they played Johnson more at olb last year instead of AC.

"My main asset is how hard I play and my non-stop motor. I love hitting people, I'll go and hit people as their falling to the ground. If I'm on the field as a defensive player and I'm not making a tackle, I failed on that play. I'm gonna play as hard as I can, as fast as I can, and as mean as I can on every single play."

This brought a tear to my eye! :cry:

Now that Batten is at DE he may finally capitalize on his pass rushing Potential. We all saw Flashes of it but really think he was out of place at OLB even though he was the right size. I think if he muscles up to 265 we could have another pass rusher on this team. Here is a report on him from 2010.

"Batten doesn’t have off the charts athletic ability and he isn’t going to fool anyone into thinking that he was a five star recruit out of high school with his small college roots, but heart cannot be measured. More than 300 career tackles and 25 sacks make him more than just productive as a collegiate player as well playing as a small pass rusher with South Dakota State. At 6’3” 246lbs. he has the size to play the outside linebacker spot at the next level and his 40 yard dash time of 4.71 seconds along with 30 reps at 225lbs. on the bench press suggest that he also has the necessary strength and speed to be effective at the NFL level."

My concern is agaisnt the run. How will he fare against 300+ lb tackles?

Merriman is already listed as a DE and per quotes by Chan, Nix, and Wannstache that's where he'll play, if he plays.

Carrington is too big and slow to play DE in a 4-3. He is listed at DT and if he makes the team, that's how he'll make the team.

Merriman is already listed as a DE and per quotes by Chan, Nix, and Wannstache that's where he'll play, if he plays.

Carrington is too big and slow to play DE in a 4-3. He is listed at DT and if he makes the team, that's how he'll make the team.

Exactly.

Gotta love that you have to explain consistantly to posters that Merriman is NOT an OLB in a 4-3. WILL/SAM OLB in 4-3 and 3-4 are completely different roles within the defense. Take for example our own Mario Williams... 4-3 DE, in Wade Phillips 3-4 last year OLB.

Also worth noting again Merriman played DE at Maryland.

1335449428[/url]' post='2446616']

I like Danny Batten but if he doesnt make the team all that means to me is we upgraded the talent on the team.

And because he isn't very good. He has done zero....except best a backup fb for a sack vs the bears and make a coverage shoestring sack in the same game. He's never impressed me.

I'm not high on Batten or Eddins. I don't think either make the team. I feel bad for Naaman Roosevelt because I think he is a good player and has made plays for us over the last two years, but I don't think he'll make this team again this year, and I don't think he is high on the list of first guys brought back. I'm hopeful that he can beat out Ruvell Martin in a ST role, but Martin is a great ST-er.

Unless we suffer some injuries, I think a draft pick stands a better chance of making the roster.

White? do you mean Moats? White is an ILB and Moats is still listed as an OLB.

You might want to check the roster, Carrington is at DT and Merriman is at DE.

My concern is agaisnt the run. How will he fare against 300+ lb tackles?

If he gains 15 Lbs of Muscle he will be fine as 265 is about average for 43DE.

1335462137[/url]' post='2446976']

White? do you mean Moats? White is an ILB and Moats is still listed as an OLB.

You might want to check the roster, Carrington is at DT and Merriman is at DE.

If he gains 15 Lbs of Muscle he will be fine as 265 is about average for 43DE.

What have you seen from batten that would make you think he's any good? He couldn't sniff the field last year, in a season where we had zero pass rush. Now, playing de, he's going up against OTs every snap, instead of a TE/FB/RB on occasion. I see little burst and even less power. He'll give it his all, but I don't think that's enough. I think he'll be out of the league before he gets any PT.

They have already talked about Merriman being a DE & Carrington will be moved inside to a DT !! :wallbash: