Buffalo @ San Francisco Sunday October 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I got about 6 friends flying up with me from Hawaii for this game... all of us are psyched and ready to tailgate HARD for this game :thumbsup:

does the northstar option bus us to the game early to tailgate also? If two of my friends are die hard 9ers fans, can they still come or is that blasphemy?

Your 49ers fans will be just fine - everyone will feel welcome, and everyone gets along just fine with each other.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the tailgating thing as 'The Star' usually runs some sort of all-inclusive deal with food & beer on the bus, but you should be just fine regarding the drinking. The North Star crowd is a very typical Buffalo crowd, meaning there WILL be some heavy drinkers - but there will also be many light-to-moderate drinkers as well, and it's a well-behaved group. The big thing is that they're all displaced WNYers, 2500 miles from home, and all share a rabid passion for the Bills. (A couple of friends and I actually started the whole Bills/North Star thing about 20 years ago with its original owners.)

If it's traditional tailgating you want ( i.e., drive to the stadium several hours early, park, grill, etc., etc.), this would probably be a slightly different type of experience - but I'm not sure you'd find a large concentration of fellow Bills fans to tailgate with in whatever area of the Candlestick lots you park. Your call.

(BTW, your 49ers fans will be just fine - everyone will feel welcome, and everyone gets along just fine with each other.)

Sounds good. I'm used to a typical Buffalo Crowd in that respect. I was just concerned a little about a bus load of sloppy drunks. Can be uncomfortable in close quarters. Don't get me wrong, I'm down with having a good time and celebrating a great win with a lot of fellow Bills fans.

Sounds good. I'm used to a typical Buffalo Crowd in that respect. I was just concerned a little about a bus load of sloppy drunks. Can be uncomfortable in close quarters. Don't get me wrong, I'm down with having a good time and celebrating a great win with a lot of fellow Bills fans.

I doubt it'll get sloppy, but it could - I'm still contemplating making the trip :beer:

Okay here's the latest.

I just called the Northstar and they said they've already received a few inquiries.

Their number is (415) 397-0577 and the owner's name is Mark Jennings.

They're definitely gonna put something together but exactly what depends on the level of interest.

At the least they are gonna do a bus and tailgate but you would have to supply your own ticket.

HOWEVER IF THERE'S ENOUGH INTEREST, they will buy a block of tickets from Niners group sales.

If you are interested in attending under the auspices of The Northstar including getting your ticket through them (thus being able to sit mostly with other Bills fans), you are encourage to call them to let them know of your interest.

Live an hour and change from the bay would love to come to this game any info on tailgating/meeting would be awesome :thumbsup:

My post on the bottom was in response to your inquiry. Thanks R! Got me to make that phone call.

I doubt it'll get sloppy, but it could - I'm still contemplating making the trip :beer:

That would be awesome Senator. You should make the trip… after all you ARE our QBs Coach. ;)

I dropped your name when I called the Northstar… they asked me to have you call them with your credit card number. :nana:

Okay here's the latest.

I just called the Northstar and they said they've already received a few inquiries.

They're definitely gonna put something together but exactly what depends on the level of interest.

At the least they are gonna do a bus and tailgate but you would have to supply your own ticket.

HOWEVER IF THERE'S ENOUGH INTEREST, they will buy a block of tickets from Niners group sales.

If you are interested in attending under the auspices of The Northstar including getting your ticket through them (thus being able to sit mostly with other Bills fans), you are encourage to call them to let them know of your interest.

I have a lot of fans in my group who will be putting together a big tailgate.

We did this the last time the Bills came to the Stick.

We all parked right next to the first entrance alongside the fence so it was easy for Bills fans to spot us. Lots of Bills fans came over and partied with us. We must have had a couple hundred fans all in one spot.

My group made authentic Buffalo Wings last time, and I'm sure they will again.

I'll keep everyone posted as we continue planning.

Anyone in town for this? I live here, and have been to every Raiders/49ers game hosting the Bills since 1980.

I'm planning on buying tickets soon. Want to find other Bills fans in the area to hook up with at the Game.

I wanted to add it to the Tailgate section, but does not allow me to add the sub-topic.

Maybe. I work for a company based out there and often coordinate business travel with Buffalo sporting events and interesting concerts. =)

Oh I will definitely be there. But I really don't care to get together with any of you. :devil:

Will be there with my brothers. How far is this north star place and will the group leaving from there be tailgating at the stadium. Go bills

North Star is in North Beach on the northern end of the peninsula. It's probably about 20 miles from the Stick but getting through town would be a B word. I say do North Star Saturday night it will be full of local Bills fans as well as people from out of town and just do the tailgate Sunday morning.

Oh I will definitely be there. But I really don't care to get together with any of you. :devil:

North Star is in North Beach on the northern end of the peninsula. It's probably about 20 miles from the Stick but getting through town would be a B word. I say do North Star Saturday night it will be full of local Bills fans as well as people from out of town and just do the tailgate Sunday morning.

North beach is adjacent to the financial district and chinatown. Getting through town? Well your already half way there it's no problem at all. I lived there for quite awhile. Although I was out for all the niner super bowl celebrations on Broadway. I have yet to meet a Bills fan the night before a game. Maybe they don't hang out where we do. I have never been to the north star though. There are not many sports bars at all in North Beach. It's an Italian community along with a good helping of younger partiers, and eclectic people. Your 8 to 10 blocks from 101 and closer to the stick than 20 miles or at least it feels that way.

Edited by Best Player Available

North beach is adjacent to the financial district and chinatown. Getting through town? Well your already half way there it's no problem at all. I lived there for quite awhile. Although I was out for all the niner super bowl celebrations on Broadway. I have yet to meet a Bills fan the night before a game. Maybe they don't hang out where we do. I have never been to the north star though. There are not many sports bars at all in North Beach. It's an Italian community along with a good helping of younger partiers, and eclectic people. Your 8 to 10 blocks from 101 and closer to the stick than 20 miles or at least it feels that way.

So North Beach is halfway through town? Dude I live in the city and it's not 8-10 blocks to the 101. The 101 ends at about 2 blocks from my house in SOMA so you'd have to go all the way through north beach through china town or the financial disctrict just to get to Market then you've got about 5 blocks to the 101. I was however way over my miles to the stick it closer to 10 miles from north beach. I should know that seeing I drive by it every day on my way to work.

So North Beach is halfway through town? Dude I live in the city and it's not 8-10 blocks to the 101. The 101 ends at about 2 blocks from my house in SOMA so you'd have to go all the way through north beach through china town or the financial disctrict just to get to Market then you've got about 5 blocks to the 101. I was however way over my miles to the stick it closer to 10 miles from north beach. I should know that seeing I drive by it every day on my way to work.

Hmmmmmm, I take Broadway to Van Ness which is 101. Takes 5 minutes max? Broadway and Bay is the starting point in the heart of North beach.

Okay here's the latest.

My post on the bottom was in response to your inquiry. Thanks R! Got me to make that phone call.

That would be awesome Senator. You should make the trip… after all you ARE our QBs Coach. ;)

I dropped your name when I called the Northstar… they asked me to have you call them with your credit card number. :nana:

Got a Call in to the owner Mark and see what I can find out...I know the Mrs and I are in we would love it if we could have a big turnout

Hmmmmmm, I take Broadway to Van Ness which is 101. Takes 5 minutes max? Broadway and Bay is the starting point in the heart of North beach.

Yes Van Ness is 101 but that's not the freeway. Depending on traffic on Van Ness it could take 15-20 to get to the freeway.

BTW Broadway and Bay run parallel.

Edited by Chef Jim

Yes Van Ness is 101 but that's not the freeway. Depending on traffic on Van Ness it could take 15-20 to get to the freeway.

BTW Broadway and Bay run parallel.

If a 15-20 minute ride is a B word as you posted then I guess we simply have a different opinion on what a long drive is. No problem with that is there?

Thanks for the info on street layout in the city! Although, we first moved to 47th and Juddah in 1979.I'm always up for tips navigating here in the Bay Area. Have fun at the game!

Edit: I meant Columbus to Broadway to Van ness but you already knew that. The ride to the stick from NB is irrelevant in time IMO. Sunday morning too.

Edited by Best Player Available

If a 15-20 minute ride is a B word as you posted then I guess we simply have a different opinion on what a long drive is. No problem with that is there?

Thanks for the info on street layout in the city! Although, we first moved to 47th and Juddah in 1979.I'm always up for tips navigating here in the Bay Area. Have fun at the game!

Edit: I meant Columbus to Broadway to Van ness but you already knew that. The ride to the stick from NB is irrelevant in time IMO. Sunday morning too.

I'm sorry I didn't know you've lived here for over 30 years. I just mistook someone who....

1 Says North Beach was halfway through town

2. Goes anywhere near Van Ness

3. I a Bills fan who has never been to North Star

.......as a tourist. But then again someone who lives in the Outside Lands is pretty much a tourist. :P

But then again I said Candlestick was 20 miles from North Beach. :wallbash:

Oh and first if you're leaving North Star it will take you 30 to get to your car seeing you'll have to park at Fisherman's Wharf. It will take you another 20 minutes to get to Van Ness from North Beach on a Sunday. Then 20 minutes to get to the 101 then another 45 to get to the parking lot of Candlestick. So yeah it is a B word to get from North Beach to Candlestick on a Sunday game day.

My main point however was if you had tickets to the game why on earth would you go to North Star that morning? Head to the stadium and start the tailgate early. Do North Star and North Beach Saturday night.

I'm sorry I didn't know you've lived here for over 30 years. I just mistook someone who....

1 Says North Beach was halfway through town

2. Goes anywhere near Van Ness

3. I a Bills fan who has never been to North Star

.......as a tourist. But then again someone who lives in the Outside Lands is pretty much a tourist. :P

But then again I said Candlestick was 20 miles from North Beach. :wallbash:

Oh and first if you're leaving North Star it will take you 30 to get to your car seeing you'll have to park at Fisherman's Wharf. It will take you another 20 minutes to get to Van Ness from North Beach on a Sunday. Then 20 minutes to get to the 101 then another 45 to get to the parking lot of Candlestick. So yeah it is a B word to get from North Beach to Candlestick on a Sunday game day.

My main point however was if you had tickets to the game why on earth would you go to North Star that morning? Head to the stadium and start the tailgate early. Do North Star and North Beach Saturday night.

Look man since you absolutely refuse to let this go I will explain one last time. I usually don't get into grudge matches in a town and area I have lived in over half my life. Over some ego related stuff I just don't care about.

I have no idea why one would park at the wharf. Since that is not even in North Beach? Is that where your bar is? I never said nor do I have a interest in going to a game in a friggin bus. As for fandom and why don't I hang there. I don't need to. I have a lot of friends from Buffalo who have never heard of it and have no plans to go to a Bills bar. Besides our families and ourselves we are content with our small crown of 20 or so. I am not a kid needing to hang at a Bills Bar. I do know where all Bills fans sat during the 9ers, and Bills super bowl years.That's where we will sit I met a lot of fans from Buffalo, I meet them at games too.I have not missed a Bills 9ers game or raiders game here since 79. Including my first in 80 (I think) when a rookie named Montana could not pull out a comeback win in the rain at the end of the game.

As for North Beach: I go to Tosca, Vesuvios (a Lot) and many of the dives on Green street. I know a lot of artists in those places. We go to Tosca a lot because tourists rarely spend time there. We like that. Very interesting people.This is the heart of North Beach. As for parking I never have problems, maybe I know the area a little better. Now from Green and Columbus or Broadway and Columbus its a 5 minute ride to 101 or as you newbies call Vann Ness Blvd. proceed south for a few blocks and you are at Van Ness and Geary which is easily half way through the huge megalopolis they call San Francisco. Taking the right parallel street to Van Ness and having the lights timed in your favor that's another whopping 10 minutes to the freeway. I can get to the stick in just over a hour from Petaluma so calling the ride from NB a B word is probably true if you have no experience doing it. And parking in the wharf, which locals avoid like the plague is just crazy except for drinking in the Buena Vista late at night.Again you have to know where to park.

If you re read my original post. I actually commented I have never met a Bills fan in North Beach partying the night before a game. I said since I don't know where this bar is nor do I care(actually I never heard of it but we stay away from touristy places)maybe that's why. Just a simple statement. I also mentioned during the FIVE 49er super bowl victories North Beach after the game is/was where the locals go to celebrate in mass. Thousands of them. Probably because its centrally located in SF and a cool area if you know where to go. Good times, free food in some places and have a beer or 2 in the street with the cops. I never had a chance YET to be in B-Lo after a super bowl win so the NB experience has to do for now.

We don't tailgate at the Shittstick anymore, its not the same as years ago. We get there (BTW we don't even park in a 9ers lot) go in and watch warm-ups then the game. Tailgating is safe there and you can eat Brie cheese and drink good wine with the yuppies & metros there as long as the sun is out. Oakland is 10X worse why anyone from Buffalo would get tix in the black hole is beyond me. Wear a opposing jersey and you are flat out asking for it. Flat out dangerous if you got a wife and grand kids to even go to the game much less sit in that crap hole.Last Bills game there we sat at the 50 13 rows up, and behind the Bills bench. I have witnessed younger guys in Bills attire get their asses kicked in the cheap lots away from the cops. That's if the opposing team wins or loses.

So I guess you can get your map out again and prove me wrong. Like I said enjoy the game and your time at a Bills bar if that's your thing. For this Bills game it's guys only with our crowd so we won't get home till late after hitting North Beach for pizza and beer. There are a lot of ex-Buffalo people in the Bay area. Not one I know goes to a Bills bar. That's just us I guess.

I do know where all Bills fans sat during the 9ers, and Bills super bowl years.That's where we will sit I met a lot of fans from Buffalo, I meet them at games too.I have not missed a Bills 9ers game or raiders game here since 79. Including my first in 80 (I think) when a rookie named Montana could not pull out a comeback win in the rain at the end of the game.

Where do Bills fans normally sit at Candlestick?

Look man since you absolutely refuse to let this go I will explain one last time. I usually don't get into grudge matches in a town and area I have lived in over half my life. Over some ego related stuff I just don't care about.

I have no idea why one would park at the wharf. Since that is not even in North Beach? Is that where your bar is? I never said nor do I have a interest in going to a game in a friggin bus. As for fandom and why don't I hang there. I don't need to. I have a lot of friends from Buffalo who have never heard of it and have no plans to go to a Bills bar. Besides our families and ourselves we are content with our small crown of 20 or so. I am not a kid needing to hang at a Bills Bar. I do know where all Bills fans sat during the 9ers, and Bills super bowl years.That's where we will sit I met a lot of fans from Buffalo, I meet them at games too.I have not missed a Bills 9ers game or raiders game here since 79. Including my first in 80 (I think) when a rookie named Montana could not pull out a comeback win in the rain at the end of the game.

As for North Beach: I go to Tosca, Vesuvios (a Lot) and many of the dives on Green street. I know a lot of artists in those places. We go to Tosca a lot because tourists rarely spend time there. We like that. Very interesting people.This is the heart of North Beach. As for parking I never have problems, maybe I know the area a little better. Now from Green and Columbus or Broadway and Columbus its a 5 minute ride to 101 or as you newbies call Vann Ness Blvd. proceed south for a few blocks and you are at Van Ness and Geary which is easily half way through the huge megalopolis they call San Francisco. Taking the right parallel street to Van Ness and having the lights timed in your favor that's another whopping 10 minutes to the freeway. I can get to the stick in just over a hour from Petaluma so calling the ride from NB a B word is probably true if you have no experience doing it. And parking in the wharf, which locals avoid like the plague is just crazy except for drinking in the Buena Vista late at night.Again you have to know where to park.

If you re read my original post. I actually commented I have never met a Bills fan in North Beach partying the night before a game. I said since I don't know where this bar is nor do I care(actually I never heard of it but we stay away from touristy places)maybe that's why. Just a simple statement. I also mentioned during the FIVE 49er super bowl victories North Beach after the game is/was where the locals go to celebrate in mass. Thousands of them. Probably because its centrally located in SF and a cool area if you know where to go. Good times, free food in some places and have a beer or 2 in the street with the cops. I never had a chance YET to be in B-Lo after a super bowl win so the NB experience has to do for now.

We don't tailgate at the Shittstick anymore, its not the same as years ago. We get there (BTW we don't even park in a 9ers lot) go in and watch warm-ups then the game. Tailgating is safe there and you can eat Brie cheese and drink good wine with the yuppies & metros there as long as the sun is out. Oakland is 10X worse why anyone from Buffalo would get tix in the black hole is beyond me. Wear a opposing jersey and you are flat out asking for it. Flat out dangerous if you got a wife and grand kids to even go to the game much less sit in that crap hole.Last Bills game there we sat at the 50 13 rows up, and behind the Bills bench. I have witnessed younger guys in Bills attire get their asses kicked in the cheap lots away from the cops. That's if the opposing team wins or loses.

So I guess you can get your map out again and prove me wrong. Like I said enjoy the game and your time at a Bills bar if that's your thing. For this Bills game it's guys only with our crowd so we won't get home till late after hitting North Beach for pizza and beer. There are a lot of ex-Buffalo people in the Bay area. Not one I know goes to a Bills bar. That's just us I guess.

Whoa dude did you see that little smilie thing with his tongue out? That means I was busting your balls. But there's no doubt you're a San Franciscan with that rant.

Oh an regarding North Star. I've only been once with my brother who was in town from WNY.

Whoa dude did you see that little smilie thing with his tongue out? That means I was busting your balls. But there's no doubt you're a San Franciscan with that rant.

Oh an regarding North Star. I've only been once with my brother who was in town from WNY.

Chef, I don't think he needs your advice

Where do Bills fans normally sit at Candlestick?

Our experience has always been in the center of the West endzone. Easily a couple hundred Bills fans there. Back in the 80's the stick was basically all sold out in season tix. The seats made available to opposing teams were in the end zones. Way before stub hub, etc. Now we usually get some seats from friends with seasons

Also win or lose we go to the opposing teams (Bills) bus entrance to cheer them on.After the games. Not hard to find there will be Buffalo fans there. The No punt game was insanity with the Bills buses getting a police escort out of the stick, or at least through the stadium gates. I think it was really protecting them from their own crazed fans.

Same reason we go to warm ups as opposed to tailgating, we and a lot of fans like to get vocal and let the team know they are not alone there.

Chef, I don't think he needs your advice

Guff...Guff....Guff.....The line is. Thanks for the advice Chef Jim but I don't think he needs your advice seeing he's lived in SF longer than most of you punks have been alive.

If he wasn't a 60 year old guy I could swear this is him laugh.gif

Bring me ketchup with my fries dude.

I thought it was truffle aoli with your organic sweet potato fries. tongue.gif

Ok I tried to end that with an we're just busting balls here emoticon and for some reason those things don't work for me here.

Edited by Chef Jim

I thought it was truffle aoli with your organic sweet potato fries. tongue.gif

Ok I tried to end that with an we're just busting balls here emoticon and for some reason those things don't work for me here.

Look guy I take this sparring all with a grain of salt. And, I sure as heck hope you took my comment about eating Brie and drinking wine at a tailgate in the stick for the jab at TRUE native San Franciscans, and the dripping sarcasm it was. Fact is today I'm in what was once our summer escape on the coast of Bandon oregon. Home of Bandon Dunes Golf resort. I got 2 kids down there still in SF and I am in the city still more than I need or want to be on occasional business.I fly down from North Bend because I can. I hate driving now.I may be old but trust me I live young.

For the third time have a great time at the Bills Niner game. It will be fun.

Hit the wrong button-Come on out to SF. Party where you want to, we need the tax$$. I'll do my best to make sure the 'Stick has plenty of beer & food during the game.

Seen the bills there the last time they were out here. Be prepared for wind & cool temps, even though October is closer to "summer' out here

You saw right through me. I'm simply a resident of this fine city

I have no problem with your tact Mr Mayor. As a matter of fact I applaud it. Soak those that visit not those that live and work here.

Edited by Chef Jim

Gonna try joining you good people down in Arizona.

I have a buddy who lives in Glendale.

Check this out Bills at Arizona 2012 for information on what's happening in Arizona for the Bills game. You can also check #BillsAZ if you're on Twitter.

my buddies and I are trying the same thing... best spot for tickets? (for both games)

Still looking at tickets myself.

Too bad that you and your friends will not be tailgating. We had a great draw last time and we should again.

As for Oakland, I know there are many fans that refuse to go there because of Raiders fans. Although I can honestly say that I have been to the last two Bills games in Oakland and I have worn my full gear, and I never had a problem. If you don't act like a jerk to opposing fans then you'll be fine.

Also, the black hole is overrated. Just a bunch of doctors & lawyers who dress weird. Mount Davis is where you have to be careful, that's where the gang-bangers are.

This will be the last time the Bills will play in the city and county of San Francisco - going back to their first incarnation in the AAFC from 1947-49.

stop being such a fatalist. the niners are as much a part of that community as an it's it.

Sheesh...all this arguing amongst fellow Bills fans, and about something so silly :rolleyes:

Fact is, The NorthStar Cafe isn't in North Beach at all - it is actually located in (as original owners Bob & Perry T. liked to say) " the Italian section of Chinatown." (And, for local Bills fans, it's more of a Sunday morning game-day destination than a Saturday nite hangout.)

But EssEff is a big, fun, beautiful city - there's lots of delightful, interesting, and culturally varied areas - each with their own unique crowd and neighborhood bar scene - and a great time waiting to be had in every one of them.

You can hang out in Chef's neighborhood (the Castro district) and enjoy the spectacle, or - if you prefer to be around straight people - enjoy the bars in North Beach, South Beach, The Embarcadero, Fishermans Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, etc.

(Or even take a trip back in time about 40 years to 'The Haight', visit the old Victorian home where The Grateful dead used to live, and marvel that there are still 'hippies' in tie-dye hanging out on the streets of Haight Ashbury and in the Golden Gate panhandle!)

Anyway, I remember a cold, wet, windy December Bills game at 'The Stick' a few years back - pouring, blowing, sideways rain, and nastier than any December game I've ever been to at 'The Ralph'!!!

I'm glad the Bills are playing out there in October - usually the sunniest and warmest time of the year in the Bay Area.

Hope to see y'all there :beer:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

next thing you're going to be telling me is that rice-a-roni is the actually the santa clara treat.

I heard Tony Bennett's making a comeback and has composed a few new songs…

You can hang out in Chef's neighborhood (the Castro district) and enjoy the spectacle, or - if you prefer to be around straight people - enjoy the bars in North Beach, South Beach, The Embarcadero, Fishermans Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, etc.

I guess it bears mentioning that most all of SF's "Gentlemen's Clubs" are in North Beach.

Full nudity, beautiful women… but no alcohol served.

Because of that, not quite on a par with the Canadian Ballet.