Can we talk about backup QB for a minute?

ACL injuries and broken legs are a bit different than a cracked rib wouldnt ya say?

And I was refering to depth on the rest of the team. I hope none of our backups ever have to play, especially at QB

If it was only a cracked rib. I think the reports were saying Fitz broke 4 ribs. Do you know how hard it is to even breathe when you have broken ribs. I give Fitz credit for being tough but after watching him play I think it was obvious Gailey made a poor decision on keeping him out there. Ask Lindy Ruff how it feels to break ribs. He couldn't even coach behind the bench until he healed up and here Fitzy is running for first downs, and takng sacks. Fitzy is one tough QB...

I like Kirk Cousins in the third, love everything about him. I also am not against Russel Wilson in the 4th or Foles or BJ Coleman in the 5-7 rounds

I also like Cousins a lot as someone the Bills can develop at QB. He might be nothing more than a very good backup, but I'd roll the dice on him.

If Gailey and the Bills actually lost confidence in Thigpen as the back-up QB, why did they not sign a guy to be on the team the second half of the year, especially because the #3 QB wasn't even allowed to practice being QB anymore because he was forced to play WR.

I don't think Gailey lost confidence in Thigpen one bit. Fitz said 100% he could play and the doctors said he could play, and he plays. To me, his injury was the least of about 5-6 factors in the offense's second half slide.

Chan is loathe to admit he screwed up. Look at his decision to go with a 3-4 defense. And to have Edwards run it. There was no reason to waste last season with a defensive scheme that was never appropriate based on personnel or coaching.

Doctors don't make personnel decisions. They just say whether, on that day, it is safe for the health of the player---that he can play. The HC has to decide what's best for the player and the team.

It's only April 23rd, and I am officially OD'd on the topic of Tyler Thigpen...the majority here seem to think he sucks, really, really sucks...as in blows...while, admittedly, I didn't see every pre-season game of his, what I saw, him playing with mostly third stringers, and guys who didn't make the team, I thought he looked pretty decent...

As I remember, the Bills offense moved the ball pretty well, but struggled to score in the red zone...oh well, pre-season, so I thought. Then, he threw about 10 passes in the regular season, and, unfortunately, was caught on camera with the ball hitting him in the head on the sideline...now, Tyler Thigpen has, for Bills fans, become an obsessive worry...all based on a tiny sample size, and not taking into account that Thigpen had no off-season workouts with the Bills... I can't wait until the draft, so we have a fresh new batch of chum to feed on...

Chan is loathe to admit he screwed up. Look at his decision to go with a 3-4 defense. And to have Edwards run it. There was no reason to waste last season with a defensive scheme that was never appropriate based on personnel or coaching.

Doctors don't make personnel decisions. They just say whether, on that day, it is safe for the health of the player---that he can play. The HC has to decide what's best for the player and the team.

He demoted and cut his starting quarterback Trent Edwards two games into his Bills career. He benched his starting RB and first draft pick after two games, CJ Spiller. He benched his starting WR a few games into the season Stevie Johnson. He's loathe to admit he screwed up?

He demoted and cut his starting quarterback Trent Edwards two games into his Bills career. He benched his starting RB and first draft pick after two games, CJ Spiller. He benched his starting WR a few games into the season Stevie Johnson. He's loathe to admit he screwed up?

Trent should have never been coming into game 1 as starter, many here figured that out. Chan saw much more than all of us with an entire offseason to scrutiinze every bit of film on TE from the season before (and Fitz). Yet Chan started him not once, but twice before aknowledging what everyone else already knew.

He stayed all season with his same offensive game sheet and plan, despite success with the running game whenever he used Spiller as starter.

He allowed Stevie to screw up too often and only benched him (in a meaningless game) when people were questioning whether he could control SJ.

In each instance, he came to the right decision late.

Trent should have never been coming into game 1 as starter, many here figured that out. Chan saw much more than all of us with an entire offseason to scrutiinze every bit of film on TE from the season before (and Fitz). Yet Chan started him not once, but twice before aknowledging what everyone else already knew.

He stayed all season with his same offensive game sheet and plan, despite success with the running game whenever he used Spiller as starter.

He allowed Stevie to screw up too often and only benched him (in a meaningless game) when people were questioning whether he could control SJ.

In each instance, he came to the right decision late.

That's just plain laughable. Thanks for the chuckle.

Trent was clearly the starting QB in practice and was great in pre-season. Chan is clearly not infallible, I never liked Edwards myself. But he clearly is not loathe to admit mistakes and made a call on a mistake quicker than I can even imagine another coach in his second game making. And he cut the player, not even demoted him.

The success of the Bills running game from the first game until the last game was PRECISELY BECAUSE of the same offensive system. We were a pass first team the whole year which allowed us the room to run, especially from passing formations, for both Fred and CJ and Chan clearly realized IMO, because it was high school stuff, that if you ran so much more instantly you wouldn't be able to run so well.

SJ had three penalties in four years, 3 penalties in 17 touchdowns over two years and no penalties on his other 140 or so receptions. He made the benching rule in November after Johnson's first penalty of the season. And it was like six weeks later when he broke the rule with his second penalty of the season so he benched him. He should have benched him in the middle of the season after one penalty like that, and two in his career? That's just a stupid comment.

I also like Cousins a lot as someone the Bills can develop at QB. He might be nothing more than a very good backup, but I'd roll the dice on him.

He can make most throws, still needs some help, but his intagibles are really good, 3 year captain, he was a captain even when we wasnt the starting qb, leader. Give him 2 years of learning and working he can be a good to great Qb, IMO

More injuries than some teams experience in 3 seasons with absolutely no depth at all

For some reason the bills always lose key players to injury early on... I believe the one year we lost mckelvin early... Although he isn't that good, that may have played a decent role in his lack of positive growth at the cb position

Plenty of us have brought up this very topic. The only explanation is that Chan has no confidence in Thigpen. By leaving Fitz in simply because "he could play", he put the QB in jeopardy. At some point in orchestrating a 7 game, second half of the season losing streak, the HC has to realize the futility and danger of leaving his injured starting QB in there.

Or it could just be that the Fitz fan base here is over stating the seriousness of the injury as yet another excuse to validate Fitz's low quality play (all of which are consistent with his career numbers) and that the injury was not significant enough to keep him from playing so he played. McNabb played on a broken ankle and played better than Fitz did with this rib injury and did it with a lot less weapons...yet there is a thread bashing McNabb for being over rated and people propping up Fitz here as if he is a top 10 QB (which he has never been at any point of his career) who's play was not top 10 due to injury.

So, I doubt the injury was so bad that the only reason he played was because Thigpen was that bad. I am sure it was sore, but if you watch the games rather than make up assumptions you will see a lot of his mistakes were not because it was painful to throw, it was because they were very poor decisions thowing bad passes into double and triple coverage and just bad throws in general. Its not like he just couldn't get the ball there, he made a LOT of bad choices, and unless his brain was injured, that has nothing to do with his rib injury. Again, all of which is consistent with his career.