Is it just me, or has anbody else noticed...

jjmac

Little talk of TE because this draft is apparently deep with mediocre TE talent (there is no Hernandez, Gronk, Sharpe type talent that stands out)

I don't think I agree with this. No one is talking about Hernandez as being a great blocker but "experts" expect a break out year for him as an H-back type receiver. I also do not recall Sharp as a great blocker.

People are not talking about TEs because there are no "traditional" great blocking and some catching TEs in this draft. But there are a number of Hernandez and Sharps out there beginning with Fleener who, I'm almost certain, will go in the first. Then there is Michael Egnew and Orson Charles. Kiper says this about Egnew; "an imposing frame (6'5", 249), athletic and extremely sure-handed. Egnew is a very good blocker down-field, but as an in-line blocker, he isn't quite as effective. He's not a traditional tight end. In time, he has the frame to carry 265 lbs. But his hands may be better than any TE in this draft. Kiper sees him as a late 2nd. or early 3rd. rd. pick.

Regarding Charles; Kiper says he is a consistent threat to stretch the deep middle area of the field. He has above average hands, runs very good routes, and finds open areas of the defense. Blocking at the pro level figures to be just so-so. Kiper thinks he might be a day three selection.

I don't think I agree with this. No one is talking about Hernandez as being a great blocker but "experts" expect a break out year for him as an H-back type receiver. I also do not recall Sharp as a great blocker.

People are not talking about TEs because there are no "traditional" great blocking and some catching TEs in this draft. But there are a number of Hernandez and Sharps out there beginning with Fleener who, I'm almost certain, will go in the first. Then there is Michael Egnew and Orson Charles. Kiper says this about Egnew; "an imposing frame (6'5", 249), athletic and extremely sure-handed. Egnew is a very good blocker down-field, but as an in-line blocker, he isn't quite as effective. He's not a traditional tight end. In time, he has the frame to carry 265 lbs. But his hands may be better than any TE in this draft. Kiper sees him as a late 2nd. or early 3rd. rd. pick.

Regarding Charles; Kiper says he is a consistent threat to stretch the deep middle area of the field. He has above average hands, runs very good routes, and finds open areas of the defense. Blocking at the pro level figures to be just so-so. Kiper thinks he might be a day three selection.

I'm with ya - but when you look at the Big Board (for whatever that's worth) there are a handful of QB's, D Linemen, linebackers, cornerbacks and WR's...nobody seems to be highlighting TE's until later, which leads to the conclusion that TE's aren't as big of a priority (or aren't getting the respect) as compared to the big name talents in pick 1-25.

I'm with ya - but when you look at the Big Board (for whatever that's worth) there are a handful of QB's, D Linemen, linebackers, cornerbacks and WR's...nobody seems to be highlighting TE's until later, which leads to the conclusion that TE's aren't as big of a priority (or aren't getting the respect) as compared to the big name talents in pick 1-25.

I'm note sure we need a TE that early, but since we already have our 2nd Pete Metzlaars in Chandler, why not get our 2nd Keith McHeller (if he exists) on Day 3?

Nix said in the luncheon yesterday that there are fewer and fewer TE's being utilized by college teams these days. It's primarily spread offenses. He gives this as the reason there are few quality TEs in the draft.

Honestly I would move back in the first (a bit, if possible) to pick Fleener. I would even take him at 10 if need be. We could run a Kgun or NE*TE spread and not have to worry too much about a true 2nd receiver. I don't see this front office doing that but I like it a lot anyway. In fact I see maybe the first 2 or 3 picks being D this year. I think the FO want us to have a dominate defense this year, and really I don't disagree with that either but..

Think of it this way, why wouldn't you pick a Gronk type player high? (I don't really mean to compare him to Gronk but...) Fleener is at least as fast as a normal #2WR and has very good hands, he also ran a pro style O and is a good route runner. Plus no worries about if he is a problem kid or just not good.

It creates all sorts of problems with LBs or safeties covering someone and with our RBs opens lanes in PA like crazy. Also an extra blocker in the run game and in wildcat even another option. I really think the run game should be used more this year and having more real passing threats only helps that.

If you can move back a little you get an extra pick too.

Honestly, I would go Fleener in the first (unless someone totally bluechip falls i.e. Blackmon or Kalil I would even move up a bit for a chance at Kalil if he falls to 6th).

Hightower in the second.

A CB or OT third (several options here)

Wilson 4th (where I think he will go and would be a steal)

The rest of the draft OTs and CB and LBs (and maybe throw in a DT or a C, BPAs at need).

And whatever they do, I have to say for the first time in years: In BN and this FO I trust (after last and this (off and in) seasons other moves and last years draft).

Except for Brian Billick. See here

What do you, others, think about the TE from Clemson in the 2nd round?

I think the DT and CB depth is too good that you pass on a Kendall Reyes or a Josh Robinson for ANY TE except Fleener.

I just don't see tight end as a need, nor do I see any tight ends worthy of an early pick. Fleener in the second might be okay, but I would think we would be looking for an OT if pick a WR in round one or a WR if we pick an OT. If we pick an OT and Fleener is available given the number of WR's in the pool we might possibly go with him as the BPA.

Nix said in the luncheon yesterday that there are fewer and fewer TE's being utilized by college teams these days. It's primarily spread offenses. He gives this as the reason there are few quality TEs in the draft.

Buddy should aquaint himself with the NFL and how it is utilizing the TE position nowadays.

If Fleener was there in the 2nd and Buddy passes on him for an OT (after taking a CB in the 1st), he should be shipped back to the country on the spot.