Nix on WGR this morning

JM57

Although I would be happy with a player of Jauron's caliber, I do not think his game would translate to today's NFL. In all likelihood, Jauron would not be able to make an NFL roster if he was a player today. It takes a superior athlete to play corner back today and I hope Gilmore is more athletic than Dick Jauron.

just pulling your leg

Let's see how many people miss the small print!!!

Although I would be happy with a player of Jauron's caliber, I do not think his game would translate to today's NFL. In all likelihood, Jauron would not be able to make an NFL roster if he was a player today. It takes a superior athlete to play corner back today and I hope Gilmore is more athletic than Dick Jauron.

just pulling your leg

It's hard to play in this league.

Two years ago, I correctly guessed Nix would draft Spiller. I don't watch college football much. I can't evaluate college players. And I ignore draftniks. But listening to Nix talk pre-draft made me believe that was the direction he was going.

Last year, most people correctly guessed Dareus. Nix made it plain which players he liked. The only challenge for us fans guessing the pick right was figuring out the pick ahead of us.

Nix says what he thinks. He doesn't seem to have any kind of deception plan to befuddle other clubs. He doesn't give us too much information but he does tend to give a lot.

This year, though, I'm having more trouble understanding him. And maybe because I want a Tackle so badly, I'm not really listening when he's suggesting a different direction. This last interview made me wonder if he'll go CB??? Or WR??? He says he wants a playmaker or difference-maker and then went out of his way to explain that a Tackle could fit the bill. But it didn't seem he was talking about Tackles when he was saying the Bills should get a play-maker with #10.

One thing I thought was interesting was that Nix said they've done lots of studies on Tackles. We have some folks on the board who read lots of draft magazines and then seem to think they know more than the FO. Nix and his team are incredible experts on the draft. They've done all sorts of studies on all the positions. They know the key indicators of success and have fully vetted the top maybe 250, 350 players in the country. Who ever #10 turns out to be, I won't pretend that I can intelligently second-guess Nix. (Though I might do it anyway just for fun).

The more I think about it, with McKelvin in his last year, and I think Florence as well, it makes sense--as long as they feel good about getting a LT in R2-3.

Yes, Gilmore would fill a need and he was my darkhorse to Glenn. However, it locks them into taking OT in the second, so the guy they want better be there when they pick (and they better hope no team jumps ahead of them to get that player).

It would be a disaster, IMO, if they don't come out of Friday with an immediate contributor to the LOT position (either sharing time with Hairston or outright starting). You can cobble together a WR or CB corps with the spare parts we have--but there aren't many band-aids that can be used to cover up for a lack of NFL-quality OT depth when the inevitabile injury occurrs...

Nix and his team are incredible experts on the draft. They've done all sorts of studies on all the positions. They know the key indicators of success and have fully vetted the top maybe 250, 350 players in the country. Who ever #10 turns out to be, I won't pretend that I can intelligently second-guess Nix. (Though I might do it anyway just for fun).

This is a great point. We've had a good offseason, and I think Nix's approval rating is high, so it's not like people are bashing him left and right. But no matter what you think of him and his team, these guys are world-class talent evaluators. You simply don't rise to this level if you're not. Mock drafts are fun and a good way to pass the time, but they're ultimately useless, and like you, I won't ever pretend to know or understand more than a high-ranking NFL executive. I don't necessarily know on-field talent when I see it, but I know the "baby" Nix talks about when I see it, and I hope we see it very soon.

The most interesting thing he said to me is that he has a list of at least 10 players he absolutely loves at the #10 slot, and so he is 100% sure that one of them is going to be there at the #10 pick. Regardless of what he says, and I know he is a straight shooter, I don't think he really takes the BPA (unless it's lucky that his actual BPA fits the biggest position of need), so there are probably 2-4 guys that are going to be possible choices for him when the pick comes up. Only 3-4 are absolute sure things to be gone and another 3-4 very likely to be gone.

I definitely think Floyd or Blackmon are in the mix, as well as (1-2 of) Martin, Reiff or Glenn, as well as Gilmore and Kirkpatrick. Perhaps Keuchly.

Personally, I now think it's going to be Floyd or Gilmore, from what he said and how he said it the last couple days. I think (pure conjecture) that from what he likes and what the team needs, those two will be his highest rated players on the board, especially the "difference maker" comments. And it will come down to how much baggage they think Floyd has. If it's marginal, they will take him. If it's still any kind of real worry, they will take Gilmore.

Also, Chris Brown still thinks Martin is the #2 OT and while I am not certain of his scouting skills I still think he has some knowledge of what the inner circle is thinking.

Also of note, said that you can get a good sized WR with speed in rounds 3 and 4.

Talked about OTs again and their importance, but mentioned that if they dont pick one at #10 they feel they'll still be okay with the depth in the Draft.

Also mentioned that they are "probably" not done in free agency. Marcus McNeil was brought up and Buddy said they are obviously aware he's out there.

My take on all of that?

1st Round: CB (Gilmore by the sounds of it)

2nd Round: OT

3rd Round: WR/QB

4th Round: QB/WR

Just curious why you think they'll draft a QB so high?

I think this scenario for Bills draft is missing LB in the 1st 4 rounds and either a 2nd OL or CB in the 4th

Just curious why you think they'll draft a QB so high?

I think this scenario for Bills draft is missing LB in the 1st 4 rounds and either a 2nd OL or CB in the 4th

Mainly because if you look at the QBs who the Bills brought in for pre-draft visits, they're all pegged in the 2nd-4th rounds. I'm not a big fan of drafting a QB in those rounds, but I think the Bills are.

Edited by BillsGuyBackInMalta

This is not an endorsement of Keuchly...I am a BPA guy...and I don't watch college football, so don't start with the "Keuchly is London Fletcher round 2, tackles behind the line" thing. I got it the first time I heard it. I do not require hearing it for the 200th time. My guess is based purely on the realities of how GMs act this time of year.

Don't tell me what to do.

From what I have heard him say several times I think they are taking the BPA. If you listen to the interview and to his statements for the presser he stated "We believe there are 10 top players in this draft and if one comes off the board we will go to our next guy on our board". I think the rank the BPA for 1-to "their draft position" and go from there. Now if there is a position they don't need they may leave that off but their board but there are only 2 positions I think they are really set at and that is DE and RB, maybe DT.

Thoughts?

I've warmed to the idea of CB. Only because I feel we've done a great job with the line, and I think you can find LBs later in the draft, I'm cool with CB. The program building strategy that always made sense to me was building from the lines outward. Prior to our FA signings, CB made no sense to me at all. But now? I say pull the trigger on Gilmore.

Gilmore, Florence and Williams will work for me at corner and I like the little I saw of Justin Rogers at the end of the year. This would mean not having to address CB next year in a desperate mode.