Mario Williams

RyanC883

I got an e-mail from the Bills today with the Pre-Order for the new Jersey's. I noticed that Mario Williams number is "00." Is this because they have not yet decided on his number, or is he wearing "00."? Thanks.

Have you ever seen an NFL player wearing 00? C'mon man

Have you ever seen an NFL player wearing 00? C'mon man

Jim Otto played center for Oakland Raiders in the 60's and 70's. He wore 00.

One of the great wide receivers of his era, Kenny Burrough also wore 00.

The NFL has since written a strict uniform number policy which teams must comply with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League#Uniform_numbers

It's a minor transgression… hopefully they don't make you stand for too long.

In any event it's certainly better than being asked to "assume the position."

"Thank you, sir. May I have another?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

:D

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Non-Bills Buffalo sports trivia: Marty Biron wore 00 as an 18/19 year old rookie for the Sabres. 00 was then outlawed in the NHL due to a bug in their statistic keeping software, with the rule being known as the "Biron rule".

Non-Bills Buffalo sports trivia: Marty Biron wore 00 as an 18/19 year old rookie for the Sabres. 00 was then outlawed in the NHL due to a bug in their statistic keeping software, with the rule being known as the "Biron rule".

So Biron was shutout from his own number?

Good trivia and I did not know that.

Thanks for mentioning that.

So Biron was shutout from his own number?

Good trivia and I did not know that.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Still up at 2:30 so here are a few more details before my wife slaps the iPad out of my hands:

Biron was the only NHL player wearing #00 at the time, which is actually how the bug was discovered. He only appeared in 3 games that year, which was the last year in the Aud, before being sent back to Juniors in Quebec because... well, he wasn't quite an NHL caliber goaltender at 18. He didn't get called back to the Sabres for 3 years and he chose #43 in honor of Matt Darby, which he wears to this day.

Ok, the Darby part is not true... as far as I know.

I got an e-mail from the Bills today with the Pre-Order for the new Jersey's. I noticed that Mario Williams number is "00." Is this because they have not yet decided on his number, or is he wearing "00."? Thanks.

Because they haven't cut Chris Kelsay yet.

is there anybody who honestly believes that Williams will be wearing any number besides 90 for the Bills?

I do. It's Kelsay's and he ain't getting cut. He could sell it, but if I were Kelsay, it would take some serious Benjamins. Like a quarter or half mil. Mario can afford it.

I think his number is going to be 78. Or I hope so anyway.

Edited by reddogblitz