Stadium Renovation

weehawk

Most of us woke up to the news this morning that RWS renos are trending more toward $200 million! Based on the article the renos are *not* safety oriented and are more along the lines of "modernizing" the facility.

Tax increases of some sort will definitely be involved to pay for this. Is everyone ok with that in order to have the gates moved out?

Are Bills fans ok with seeing ticket prices go up 20-30% to pay for it? Just curious.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us woke up to the news this morning that RWS renos are trending more toward $200 million! Based on the article the renos are *not* safety oriented and are more along the lines of "modernizing" the facility.

Tax increases of some sort will definitely be involved to pay for this. Is everyone ok with that in order to have the gates moved out?

Are Bills fans ok with seeing ticket prices go up 20-30% to pay for it? Just curious.

yup

I think phew, its only 200M is the appropriate response.

Tax increases of some sort will definitely be involved to pay for this.

The state will just bond out its portion, likely $125-$150 million, which likely will be serviced by a surcharge on ticket prices and concessions.

There's no room to increase the local portion of the Erie County sales tax (4.75%), since it's already among the highest in the nation...

The state will just bond out its portion, likely $125-$150 million, which likely will be serviced by a surcharge on ticket prices and concessions.

There's no room to increase the local portion of the Erie County sales tax (4.75%), since it's already among the highest in the nation...

That is crazy high

One can look at this any number of ways.

There are probably about 20 million people in New York and about half of those are taxpayers. So over however many years, that's a tax of about $20 per taxpayer.

Some will use that figure to illustrate one point and others will use it to illustrate another point.

I no longer live in New York but of course being a huge Bills fan and having resided in Buffalo for 35 years, personally I would not have minded paying the additional taxes at the same time, understanding the voices of those who would mind.

While I don't like the public subsidy of billionaire-owned private businesses, I accept the fact that this is how things are.

I thought I read an article this past year how tax revenues generated by the team through income tax on player salaries and sales tax on team sales make a significant amount of the tax funds needed.

Chuckle… and away we go…

BTW, I'm not laughing at you. It's just that there's these ritualized repeating, closed-loop, topics of which this is one of them.

We've probably had this conversation 2-3 times in the last 6 months.

It's one of those small group of topics which should almost be pinned.

no

Are you silently saying that the team would move if not given carte blanch from NY taxpayers.

If yes, then you dont appear to be paying much attention to other NFL cities with so-called "stadium issues."

It's a simple fact that no NFL team currently has a viable moving option, short of San Antonio and that's a stretch. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that believes that any NFL team has an option to move now or in the next five years. LA and Toronto are not viable options. In the case of Toronto, I dont think they will ever be a viable option as I find it very unlikely that the Canadian govt will shell out for a new NFL-ready stadium. The NFL wont accept a permanent move into the Rogers Dome.

The way NY taxpayers are fleeced already, I'm blown away that anyone is ok with this. I'm not advocating that the team be kicked out of town and I'm not advocating that NY State pay nothing. But until the long-term ownership issues are locked down, I think it's just crazy to invest anything more than the bare minimum to keep the facility operating safely in it's current form.

We'll see what the lease agreement looks like, but if history is any indicator, the taxpayers will not be protected.

$200 million is peanuts when you look at the big picture

Either you pay or they move. Bills fans have had it WAY too good so far with Ralph and company keeping ticket prices so low. If I hear this BS of 'well the economy in WNY just can't support it' then fine.... let them move. Bottom line, time to start paying more or they move, its just life in the NFL