stevie johnson

b-unit

I dont get why people think stevie johnson isnt a number 1 receiver. correct me if im wrong but he is the only bills receiver to have back to back 1000 yard seasons and only receiver to own revis island and that is in his first two years of being a starter but people still seem to think he is a number 2 receiver dont really get it

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get why people think stevie johnson isnt a number 1 receiver. correct me if im wrong but he is the only bills receiver to have back to back 1000 yard seasons and only receiver to own revis island and that is in his first two years of being a starter but people still seem to think he is a number 2 receiver dont really get it

It makes no sense. Especially when you consider that our QB is basically a high paid Journeyman type (with all due respect to Fitzy), Stevie has been uber productive. He's a #1 in my book.

People who say Stevie isn't a number 1 WR is delirious and don't know what they're talking about. Stevie is better than half the number 1 WRs in the league. He'll never be a superstar like Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson but just because he's not as good as them doesn't mean he's not a number 1 WR. He's a SOLID number 1 WR, but he's no superstar. But who cares. Stevie is great

i think the ire is comes from him being a 7th round pick and not being the SEXY pick of 1st rounder like hayward bey, charlie rodgers,peter warrick, mike williams....

Brady was a sixth rounder.

I agree he has good numbers, once the Bills make the playoff's and SJ has these same numbers, everyone will get on board.

I also think he is lacking that one defining play so far. It could have been the catch against the Steelers, but it was not to be.

Stevie is a good player. He brings some positives to the table but some negatives as well. I would not say Stevie has "owned" Revis island due to the fact the Bills lost both of those games. Any stats he put up against Revis really mean sqat if the Bills don't win the game in the end. Furthermore, I believe he had 8 catches for 75 yards. Realize that in the NFL a team will give that up all day long...those are nothing more than timing patterns, most being hooks. I believe it is the big play ability where Stevie lacks a little. Stevie has peaked. What you get from him 70 catches and 1000 yards is about all that you will see out of him for the next 3-5 years. Again, not bad, but also something that if I were the GM I would maybe look to improve on. If you were to become complacent with Stevie being your #1 and surround him with Donald Jone's, David Nelson's etc you will have another year like last year. The best thing for the Bills and the best thing for Stevie is to bring in a large, fast WR with a bunch of upside. Exactly what Atlanta did with Julio Jones last year. When bringing in a talent he may be #2 to Stevie for the first year, maybe even the 2nd year but a WR with the potential such as Floyd or Blackmon, you are truly drafting them with the thought of them being the #1 shortly down the line.

Please dont take offense to this as we are all entitled to our own opinions. I will say that a true #1 receiver does not cost their team games either through stupid penalties and dropped passes. Both can be corrected (at least the penalties) as it is time for Stevie to mature a little more and be the leader FULL TIME that he has shown or at least talked about. I would rank Stevie behind players such as Andre Reed, James Lofton, Lee Evans and Eric Moulds and slightly ahead of Peerless Price

Brady was a sixth rounder.

I agree he has good numbers, once the Bills make the playoff's and SJ has these same numbers, everyone will get on board.

I also think he is lacking that one defining play so far. It could have been the catch against the Steelers, but it was not to be.

Stevie has shown he has great hands. What he struggles with sometimes is lack of concentration. When he's wide open he loses his concentration and thinks too much, but when he's forced to react and make the tough catch, he almost always makes it. He just needs to fix that problem.

Stevie is a good player. He brings some positives to the table but some negatives as well. I would not say Stevie has "owned" Revis island due to the fact the Bills lost both of those games. Any stats he put up against Revis really mean sqat if the Bills don't win the game in the end. Furthermore, I believe he had 8 catches for 75 yards. Realize that in the NFL a team will give that up all day long...those are nothing more than timing patterns, most being hooks. I believe it is the big play ability where Stevie lacks a little. Stevie has peaked. What you get from him 70 catches and 1000 yards is about all that you will see out of him for the next 3-5 years. Again, not bad, but also something that if I were the GM I would maybe look to improve on. If you were to become complacent with Stevie being your #1 and surround him with Donald Jone's, David Nelson's etc you will have another year like last year. The best thing for the Bills and the best thing for Stevie is to bring in a large, fast WR with a bunch of upside. Exactly what Atlanta did with Julio Jones last year. When bringing in a talent he may be #2 to Stevie for the first year, maybe even the 2nd year but a WR with the potential such as Floyd or Blackmon, you are truly drafting them with the thought of them being the #1 shortly down the line.

Please dont take offense to this as we are all entitled to our own opinions. I will say that a true #1 receiver does not cost their team games either through stupid penalties and dropped passes. Both can be corrected (at least the penalties) as it is time for Stevie to mature a little more and be the leader FULL TIME that he has shown or at least talked about. I would rank Stevie behind players such as Andre Reed, James Lofton, Lee Evans and Eric Moulds and slightly ahead of Peerless Price

What he does against Revis is Revis and Johnson. Their battle is one on one. And YES. Stevie HAS OWNED Revis Island. Just because they lost those games doesn't mean it was because of Stevie. Stevie's job is to get open consistently against the best CB in the league and he's shown he is capable of doing so. So where does this have anything to do with the Bills losing? The Bills losing was a TEAM loss. Lindell was just as much responsible as anyone else.

Stevie has shown he has great hands. What he struggles with sometimes is lack of concentration. When he's wide open he loses his concentration and thinks too much, but when he's forced to react and make the tough catch, he almost always makes it. He just needs to fix that problem.

What he does against Revis is Revis and Johnson. Their battle is one on one. And YES. Stevie HAS OWNED Revis Island. Just because they lost those games doesn't mean it was because of Stevie. Stevie's job is to get open consistently against the best CB in the league and he's shown he is capable of doing so. So where does this have anything to do with the Bills losing? The Bills losing was a TEAM loss. Lindell was just as much responsible as anyone else.

8 REC for 75 yards (1 TD) in the first game and 3 for 85 yards in the second game (both losses) is how we as Bills fans define OWNING a player? Seem like pretty average days for a WR to me. At least he had 8 REC but that YPC is not impressive at all. OWNING a player, to me at least, is throwing up numbers such as 5 REC 125 yards and 2 TD's...that is OWNING a player. Stevie had 2 decent games which he should have as a #1 WR. Just because Revis didnt shut him out does not mean he was OWNED...I am not defending REVIS but more so explaining what I feel a more logical definition of what OWNING a player means

8 REC for 75 yards (1 TD) in the first game and 3 for 85 yards in the second game (both losses) is how we as Bills fans define OWNING a player? Seem like pretty average days for a WR to me. At least he had 8 REC but that YPC is not impressive at all. OWNING a player, to me at least, is throwing up numbers such as 5 REC 125 yards and 2 TD's...that is OWNING a player. Stevie had 2 decent games which he should have as a #1 WR. Just because Revis didnt shut him out does not mean he was OWNED...I am not defending REVIS but more so explaining what I feel a more logical definition of what OWNING a player means

You seem to have put in a lot of thought to what it means to "own" a player. I suppose it's a pretty relative term considering the competition that Revis has consistently shut down. I don't know what it means to "own" a player, but I think we can agree he's played very well against the best CB in the league. And for that, he should be applauded.

Actually his job is to get open and catch the ball and get into the endzone. If he caught the pass right in his hands and we beat the Jets, which we likely would have if he did, then we could say he owned Revis Island. But he didn't.

That said, I think Stevie is an excellent WR and worthy of a #1 label, except that he is probably in the middle of the pack as far as #1's go. He has time and potential to get a lot better though.

You seem to have put in a lot of thought to what it means to "own" a player. I suppose it's a pretty relative term considering the competition that Revis has consistently shut down. I don't know what it means to "own" a player, but I think we can agree he's played very well against the best CB in the league. And for that, he should be applauded.

I will hold the applause for the 2012 season and the hope he does not drop the game winning pass after being wide open. He has done well against him and lets hope that continues. I usually don't applaud individuals when the Bills as a team lost a game...and especially individuals that played a major hand in the loss. Put a winning product on the field after 11 long seasons and I will applaud.

i think if you put a TRUE #2 next to stevie and you will see why he is a number 1 you can argue the first 1000 yard season he was the number 2 but he also had a speedster in lee evans on the other side so either way when its all said and done i think he should get credit so here is to hoping they can draft a good receiver opposite of him so they both can shine. As for revis not many other receivers have done what stevie has done against him if anyone

and maybe they will draft a wr first round because maybe they are building like the giants excellent d line and good wrs add in another good wr and boom superbowl champs ....................sarcasm :thumbsup:

That shut down corner sure didn't shut down stevie even if he had an "average" day as you claim

75 yards and 85 yards are pretty nice days against a bad corner, against the best in the game today? Ill take that anyway

1334443277[/url]' post='2436918']

So Adrian Peterson isn't a number 1 RB because his team didn't win games? Sure, the bills lost to the jets, but Stevie kept them in it. Had he made that catch or fitz wouldve hit him wide open in the end zone 2 plays later, they would've won. And it would've been because of him. What he did to revis was something many receivers have trouble doing, get open. It shows he can get open against the leagues beat CB (if not one of). That means something. Regardless of what you think

True number 1s have dropped game winners in the past and they will in the future. I agree that I'd we draft Floyd or Blackmon, the thought is for the, to be our #1 in the future. That doesn't mean Stevie isn't a #1. Who was the number 1 WR, torrey holt or Isaac Bruce? they were both 1s.

Edited by NewEra

It's pretty simple. Stevie is our #1 and would also be for many teams in the league. By that criteria alone he's a #1. However, he's not elite (LarryFitz, Megatron, etc) and therefore some folks will bump him down to a #2 for that reason, which is totally fair. The trick now though is that Stevie is at the point in his career where even if we draft Blackmon or Floyd (obviously both are more "physically" talented) he will still be our #1 based on experience, rapport with Fitz, and leadership. Sometimes a team's #1 WR isn't always their most talented guy. See Steelers, Pittsburgh - Hines Ward and Mike Wallace. Clearly Wallace is more talented but Ward remained "the guy" for a duration. Not the case anymore, obviously, but the bottom line is the #1 WR label = more than just "being the best guy on the team". Stevie is a #1 for us, and that's all that matters.

I think one of the only reasons people say Steve isn't a number 1 receiver is because he's on the Bills.

People everywhere think that a player on the Bills is a back-up or third string player anywhere else in the league. They have the right to think that too because we haven't had a winning season in a while.

jesus here we go again...why now do you bring this up???hes already signed, hes good, i like him, but lets grow up and not pretend our guys are better than they really are. Heres my take on all the childish points I hear promoting SJ as a"true 1"

1. back to back 1000 yard seasons! yippee f ing do! i guess reed moulds and evans all sucked then. Oh and steve largent who never had a 1000 yard season once i think. 1000 yards is no big deal it usually has to do with being injured or not and being a #1 target, which SJ definitely was. how bout a 1500 yard season like the real number 1 guys in the league?

2.Schooled Revis. yes he did for less than 100 yards and what, 1 TD? and a huge drop, oh and we lost the game, what a clutch number one he is.

3. He played good despite being the only real threat...thats so chicken vs egg, HE GOT ALL THE BALLS thrown his way, he was the number 1 read and had many more that he dropped or didnt get close to for being too slow. all those chances and still only had 70 something catches, thats weak. Id like to see how many balls hed get if we did have another threat, I think alot less if he got targeted less, which he would.

Stevie is a true #2, why? hes slowish, average size, less than average hands, and immature oh and not clutch. Yes he gets open and yes he shows flashes, im not against him, but get off his jock already and lets call a duck a duck. Other big drops along with big penalties are the sign of a number 2 OR 3 OR 4 RECIEVER, or even a 7th round guy.

When he lines up across from a real number 1 (floyd i hope) we will all see him flourish, as hell be more open and get more YAC. But most here think thats a myth, another threat could never possibly draw coverage away from someone.

next year (if we draft floyd or blackmon)he will have more yards per catch but less catches IMO. like a true #2