Discussing Chris Hairston for a minute

Hairston should be a good RIGHT tackle, which is where everyone said he'd play when drafted. he wasn't too good on the left. the record with him over there bears that out too (2-7 without Bell, 4-3 with him). could he have been worse? yes... he did ok considering. but he'd always be the guy yer trying to upgrade. at best he should be plan B on the left side like he was last year, not plan A.

You're blaming him for the Bills' record? :rolleyes:

You're blaming him for the Bills' record? :rolleyes:

You missing brainiac's clearly stated point. He simply made the point that Hairston is better suited for the right side rather than the left side. He's not blaiming him for the Bills' record. That is your own distracting red herring. Most people do believe that Hairston is a better RT than LT prospect. Don't you?????

My opinion on Hairston is that he was our best value pick in last year's draft. Right tackle is his best position but he is also a capable swing tackle.

Edited by JohnC

Pet peeve...sorry. You mean dominant right tackle.

Anyway -- to the point of the original post, I'm not smart enough to assess LT talent, but I've got to agree with the premise Buddy & Co. feel Hairston is more than just a stopgap measure at LT this season. I'm really starting to lean towards wanting Floyd at that #10 spot.

Yes, I've been spoiled with the best secretary on Earth so my grammar can get sloppy when she's not proofing.

I stand my my thoughts on Hairston on the right side. Also, Buddy while not throwing him under the bus didn't exactly endorse him either, after last season. I can't remember where I read that. Point is he was a projected RT, with the strides we've made this offseason it would be great to finally put players where they're best suited. As for Floyd, I would rather draft DiCastro if he's BPA. Again we build these lines right and we will dominate. Plenty of receivers this year.

Hairston should be a good RIGHT tackle, which is where everyone said he'd play when drafted. he wasn't too good on the left. the record with him over there bears that out too (2-7 without Bell, 4-3 with him). could he have been worse? yes... he did ok considering. but he'd always be the guy yer trying to upgrade. at best he should be plan B on the left side like he was last year, not plan A.

So the 2-7 record bears out that Hairston wasn't too good on the left side? The dismal 3nd half of the season had nothing to do with the epidemic of injuries at wide receiver, offensive line, the loss of Fred Jackson, and Fitz playing with broken ribs?

You missing brainiac's clearly stated point. He simply made the point that Hairston is better suited for the right side rather than the left side. He's not blaiming him for the Bills' record. That is your own distracting red herring. Most people do believe that Hairston is a better RT than LT prospect. Don't you?????

My opinion on Hairston is that he was our best value pick in last year's draft. Right tackle is his best position but he is also a capable swing tackle.

I agree with Doc, John. Brainiac comment indicts Hairston when he points out the Bills record without Bell in the lineup.

The sentence in question (bolded) isn't open to very much interpretation.

While I liked what I saw of Hairston, I believe the Bills should be looking at dominance, and not just passable play. It's obvious the influence and pull Wannstedt has on the roster - since he took over, and claimed that the success or failure of his defense largely depends on how good the D-line is (that is the case with all defenses, by the way, and there is surely some notice, at long last, of the Giants success against the Pats), the Bills went out and spent more on TWO players to come in and give them that D-line than they've spent on offseason aquisitions in a long time. That D-line gives us the chance to have a Dominant defense, not just a good one.

Now, you look at the offense. With a very good, opportunistic defense, the Bills could win with an offense that runs the ball well and just doesn't turn the ball over a lot. They could win 10 games playing that old school style. Especially considering their new QB coach - Lee, the brain behind the resurgence of the wildcat offense. Now, we'd all love to see the Bills light up the scoreboard every week. But - if you look at our roster NOW, look at where we can be as a team this year, after the draft, and where we want to be in the years to come (I have to believe the Bills are looking to win NOW, after putting that money into the D-line; sure, it will sell tickets, but those players are only going to be in place like that for another 4-5 years. That means it is prime time NOW - not in another 3 years) I'm thinking a safe way to approach winning would be to use the draft to finally finish off the offensive line, and to add whatever talent is necessary on the defensive side of the ball.

My reasoning is this: you add DeCastro in the first (all hypothetical), and now we have perhaps the best interior, or one of the best interiors in the NFL with Levitre, Wood, DeCastro - all 3 potential pro-bowlers - and SOMEHOW, in rounds 2-4, that's another 4 picks, add a starting OLB, Swing Tackle, and WR.

Our Defense could be very good. We could run the ball exceptionally well. There are enough WR's in this draft to be getting starters in rounds 3-4. We still have Easley, Nelson, and S.Johnson. It's not like we are without WR's. We just need a guy to add speed and be a threat on the opposite side.

I just think if we can finally add the talent to the O-line to make use of the talent we already have, and let them gel for the same years we have this nice D-line, then you can go out and add the peripheral players (WR, TE, - and QB) when the opportunity is there. If you start adding the weapons before the protection is there, then you're in a spot where, like times last year, our QB was so rushed and off that he couldn't hit open recievers.

I trust Nix to know the talent when he sees it. He's done an exceptional job of finding O-line talent off other team's waivers. I would like to see our RB's used more - instead, as at times it looked last year, Chan was trying to make the offense something it wasn't.

So the 2-7 record bears out that Hairston wasn't too good on the left side? The dismal 3nd half of the season had nothing to do with the epidemic of injuries at wide receiver, offensive line, the loss of Fred Jackson, and Fitz playing with broken ribs?

I agree with Doc, John. Brainiac comment indicts Hairston when he points out the Bills record without Bell in the lineup.

The sentence in question (bolded) isn't open to very much interpretation.

I don't want to quibble over miniscule differences that aren't really differences. The thrust of his comment was that Hairston is more suited to the right side than the left. Most people would agree with that assessment. His opinion that Hairston was the type of LT that the organization is trying to upgrade is also a reasonable assessment. Why do you think there is so much speculation by outside analysts who project that the Bills will take a LT with their first pick in this upcoming draft? The record differential he pointed out was correct. But I didn't infer that he was making the case that Hairston was the main cause of the dramatic team slide but simply a factor.

I don't want to quibble over miniscule differences that aren't really differences. The thrust of his comment was that Hairston is more suited to the right side than the left. Most people would agree with that assessment. His opinion that Hairston was the type of LT that the organization is trying to upgrade is also a reasonable assessment. Why do you think there is so much speculation by outside analysts who project that the Bills will take a LT with their first pick in this upcoming draft? The record differential he pointed out was correct. But I didn't infer that he was making the case that Hairston was the main cause of the dramatic team slide but simply a factor.

Braniac clearly implied that Hairston couldn't be a good LT because of the Bills' record. That's what I took issue with, not the question of whether he's a better fit at RT than LT. Personally I think he could be a dominant RT. But that doesn't mean he can't be a good LT as well. And again considering the situation he found himself in last year, he played pretty well and should improve.

As for whether the Bills will draft a LT, much less what the "experts" think, we'll have to wait for the draft. Frankly I wish there were better LT choices, because after Kalil, no one looks all that great, so when the Bills bypass them in the 1st round, it won't necessarily speak to what they feel about Hairston, outside of he's better than they are.

This thread would have a totally different feel if Bell had been re-signed. We would all be saying what a good move it was and that Hairston wasn't ready to to be the guy. The Bills wanted Bell back, just not at the $$ he was demanding. If he gets hurt, (a likely possiblity)then the Bills will look good for not paying. If he stays healthy and holds down the fort until Peters returns, the Eagles will look like geniuses. I was hoping we wouldn't have to go OT with our first pick but that looks like a given now.

It's not a given. Buddy wont draft a OT because of a team need. He has proven that he doesn't draft that way before. He will take the best player available and wont let any outside distractions dictate which way he goes. I for one think he will draft a WR with #10 (Floyd). This guy has more upside then any LT in this draft other then Kalil and we would be dumb for not getting him if he is there. There are a lot of other players on the board better then any other LT beside Kalil. So I see us getting a LT but not until round 2 or 3. I believe in Buddy and Chan and they will do what is right.

It's not a given. Buddy wont draft a OT because of a team need. He has proven that he doesn't draft that way before. He will take the best player available and wont let any outside distractions dictate which way he goes. I for one think he will draft a WR with #10 (Floyd). This guy has more upside then any LT in this draft other then Kalil and we would be dumb for not getting him if he is there. There are a lot of other players on the board better then any other LT beside Kalil. So I see us getting a LT but not until round 2 or 3. I believe in Buddy and Chan and they will do what is right.

I like Floyd as well but if Buddy is going BPA why not take Kuechly

check this great draft of high character, hard working players out My link

Well cant say I agree with the assessment that he did well at LT or that he is the LT of the future. Saw a scouting tape breakdown of him, and it was not pretty. He really needs a ton of work, and needs to improve footwork, first step, ability to change directions and technique to be able to play LT without help inside and outside like got most of the snaps last year. He does show tenacity and some good run blocking skills however and looks more like a future quality RT to me.

agreed. How did you see a scouting tape breakdown of him? Link?

Hairston is our LT for now. In regard to the draft, my guess is that we'll be drafting an OT same Bat-time, same Bat-channel as lastyear when we (coincidentally) drafted Hairston ... Round 4 (wouldn't that be ironic, don't ya think?). Going OT with one of our 4s would enable us to hit some solid BPAs at positions of need without reaching, e.g., we could go WR, CB, OLB and then OT (and maybe a TE with our other 4 to give Fitzpatrick another weapon) or CB, WR, OLB

I think there are two interesting, developmental OT picks who might be capable of playing LT one day--Potter frtom Boise St. (who a bunch of you have already posted some good info about) and McCants from UAB (he's also garnered some attention but not as much as Potter). Here's one so-called expert's detailec opinion regarding McCants:

Matt McCants: Alabama-Birmingham (6-7, 295) A tall, long-armed, athletically built offensive tackle with some natural width to his lower half, but has yet to really fill out, McCants possesses the frame to get bigger but is going to need some time to mature physically. He lacks ideal anchor strength at this stage because of it. He does a nice job extending his long arms into contact and is very coordinated with his punch when asked to slide and punch. However, in order to anchor vs. bigger defenders, he will widen his footwork in order to overcompensate and loses his balance/footing in the process. He exhibits the range off the edge to routinely reach speed off the corner and he's a natural bender who can sit into his stance, keep his pad level down and look very fluid sliding his feet laterally when asked to mirror both in space and through contact. He's balanced into contact with his punch and does a nice job keeping his weight evenly distributed A tall, long-armed, athletically built offensive tackle with some natural width to his lower half, but has yet to really fill out, McCants possesses the frame to get bigger but is going to need some time to mature physically. He lacks ideal anchor strength at this stage because of it. He does a nice job extending his long arms into contact and is very coordinated with his punch when asked to slide and punch. However, in order to anchor vs. bigger defenders, he will widen his footwork in order to overcompensate and loses his balance/footing in the process. He exhibits the range off the edge to routinely reach speed off the corner and he's a natural bender who can sit into his stance, keep his pad level down and look very fluid sliding his feet laterally when asked to mirror both in space and through contact. He's balanced into contact with his punch and does a nice job keeping his weight evenly distributed in the pass game. He also exhibits the range and mirror ability to hold his own on the left side at the next level.

McCants exhibits elite range when asked to pull and get out to the second level. He is very coordinated in space, moves effortlessly and has the flexibility to cleanly drop his pad level and cut down defenders on contact. He coils up into his stance well and exhibits a good initial snap through the hips into contact, extending his arms well off the ball and initially gaining leverage. He moves his feet in order to mirror and maintain his angle. However, he will begin to pop upright through contact, limiting his natural power and taking away from his push and ability to stay engaged through contact.

Impression: McCants possesses a great looking frame that has the ability to get bigger and mature physically. Athletically, all the tools are there for this kid to play left tackle in the NFL, he just needs some time to make the jump in competition and mature physically. in the pass game. He also exhibits the range and mirror ability to hold his own on the left side at the next level.

McCants exhibits elite range when asked to pull and get out to the second level. He is very coordinated in space, moves effortlessly and has the flexibility to cleanly drop his pad level and cut down defenders on contact. He coils up into his stance well and exhibits a good initial snap through the hips into contact, extending his arms well off the ball and initially gaining leverage. He moves his feet in order to mirror and maintain his angle. However, he will begin to pop upright through contact, limiting his natural power and taking away from his push and ability to stay engaged through contact.

Impression: McCants possesses a great looking frame that has the ability to get bigger and mature physically. Athletically, all the tools are there for this kid to play left tackle in the NFL, he just needs some time to make the jump in competition and mature physically.

I'm intrigued...

Edited by biggerdaddynj

I think no matter what Buddy has to be shopping for a LT to compete with Hariston. Buddy picked Pears, Urbik, and Reinhart off of the waiver wire. While Hariston himself is a 4th rounder. I think Buddy has to make a play for a LT in the first 4 rounds even just as depth at this point.

yep! <_<

Braniac clearly implied that Hairston couldn't be a good LT because of the Bills' record. That's what I took issue with, not the question of whether he's a better fit at RT than LT. Personally I think he could be a dominant RT. But that doesn't mean he can't be a good LT as well. And again considering the situation he found himself in last year, he played pretty well and should improve.

As for whether the Bills will draft a LT, much less what the "experts" think, we'll have to wait for the draft. Frankly I wish there were better LT choices, because after Kalil, no one looks all that great, so when the Bills bypass them in the 1st round, it won't necessarily speak to what they feel about Hairston, outside of he's better than they are.

If you can get a starting LT with a first round pick then you have to consider it a productive pick. In each draft there are very few elite caliber LTs. When one does exist they are usually taken at the top of the draft. From my perspective it is critical that we get a genuine LT prospect, even if Hairston becomes the starter. The Bills are precariously thin at the OT position. There are very few legitimate reserve OTs in the free agent market. Not having depth at such an important position is a big gamble. Having to scramble the OL to compensate for an injury at tackle is a very unappealing situation to be in.

Make no mistake about my position on the OT situation. If Buddy doesn't have an OT ranked in the vicinity of where he is drafting then he should be true to his board and select the better player, regardless of position. Nix made the comment that he felt that there were three immediate tackle starters in this draft class. So I suspect that he is seriously considering taking one of them when his turn comes up to go to the podium.

Although many people favor Reiff and Martin (assumption Kalil is gone) I am intrigued with the prospect of Cordy Glenn. Ideally, I would like to see us move down a bit a then select Glenn and have another pick added to our draft board.

Edited by JohnC

If you can get a starting LT with a first round pick then you have to consider it a productive pick. In each draft there are very few elite caliber LTs. When one does exist they are usually taken at the top of the draft. From my perspective it is critical that we get a genuine LT prospect, even if Hairston becomes the starter. The Bills are precariously thin at the OT position. There are very few legitimate reserve OTs in the free agent market. Not having depth at such an important position is a big gamble. Having to scramble the OL to compensate for an injury at tackle is a very unappealing situation to be in.

Make no mistake about my position on the OT situation. If Buddy doesn't have an OT ranked in the vicinity of where he is drafting then he should be true to his board and select the better player, regardless of position. Nix made the comment that he felt that there were three immediate tackle starters in this draft class. So I suspect that he is seriously considering taking one of them when his turn comes up to go to the podium.

Although many people favor Reiff and Martin (assumption Kalil is gone) I am intrigued with the prospect of Cordy Glenn. Ideally, I would like to see us move down a bit a then select Glenn and have another pick added to our draft board.

As bad as the bills need a LT, my guess is that as long as Ralph is alive, the Bills will not draft a LT in the first round

They haven't done it since he banished Polian over his disagreement with his daughter about a LT - they won't start now if Ralph is anywhere near the draft room

As bad as the bills need a LT, my guess is that as long as Ralph is alive, the Bills will not draft a LT in the first round

They haven't done it since he banished Polian over his disagreement with his daughter about a LT - they won't start now if Ralph is anywhere near the draft room

Ralph Wilson will have little to say and influence on who will be selected. He is at a stage in his life where he is incapable of being materially involved in the football operation. He selected a person he is comfortable with, Buddy Nix, and he trusts his judgment. All the owner wants at this stage is to be kept informed as to what is going on. When Tom Donahoe was too dismissive of him the boss showed him who was the boss and unceremoneously gave him the boot.

If the owner is feeling well enough I'm sure that he will be in the draft room, at least for the first pick. That certainly is appropriate since he is the owner and signs the hefty checks.

Actually, the Bills drafted Mike Williams in 2002 with the 4th overall pick to play LT. And the last time Polian drafted an OL period in the 1st round was in 1995 (Blake Brockermeyer, taken 29th overall).

Actually, the Bills drafted Mike Williams in 2002 with the 4th overall pick to play LT. And the last time Polian drafted an OL period in the 1st round was in 1995 (Blake Brockermeyer, taken 29th overall).

Fat Mike was a RIGHT T and proved conclusively that he could not play LT.

He was a RT when they drafted him and the closest he got to LT was playing RG

but you are correct that they needed a LT

yet passed on a true LT in McKinnie in favor of a RT- the vindicativeness of Ralph is strong

When he was with the Bills before his altercation with Ralph's daughter, Polian aggressively drafted and built a quality OL

The Bills not so effectively since he left

Edited by spartacus

Fat Mike was a RIGHT T and proved conclusively that he could not play LT.

He was a RT when they drafted him and the closest he got to LT was playing RG

When he was with the Bills before his altercation with Ralph's daughter, Polian aggressively drafted and built a quality OL

The Bills not so much since he left

Doesn't matter that MW proved he couldn't play LT. He was drafted that high to be a LT.

As for Polian and the Bills, the SB-era OL consisted of 2 players Polian drafted: a one 1st rounder (Wolford) and the other an 11th rounder (Ballard). One of the others (Ritcher) was already on the team.

Totally agree, I really don't think they will draft an OT in the first round, I think they are very happy with Hairston and may see him as the LOT of the future.

It's always interesting when fans give their endorsements to and/or evaluations of the play of an offensive lineman. It's impossible, even for experienced football folks, to watch a game, follow the action, and still follow the play of an individual O lineman. Even coaches have to wait to review (several times) game film, and breakdown the film, to properly evaluate the play of an O lineman. IT CANNOT be done by simply watching the game.

One guy who does this is Chan Gailey. In a recent interview, when asked about Hairston, he was anything but "very happy" with Hairston's play. But maybe Chan is wrong and the posters on this board, who love Hairston, got it right.

It's always interesting when fans give their endorsements to and/or evaluations of the play of an offensive lineman. It's impossible, even for experienced football folks, to watch a game, follow the action, and still follow the play of an individual O lineman. Even coaches have to wait to review (several times) game film, and breakdown the film, to properly evaluate the play of an O lineman. IT CANNOT be done by simply watching the game.

One guy who does this is Chan Gailey. In a recent interview, when asked about Hairston, he was anything but "very happy" with Hairston's play. But maybe Chan is wrong and the posters on this board, who love Hairston, got it right.

While I love the guy, Chan didn't get it right with Freddie or Fitz, and it took some shuffling to get the OL stable after the rash of injuries last year. Again there doesn't appear to be a player worth taking to play LT at the 10th spot, so it should be Hairston's spot to lose, with a non-1st round rookie to provide depth and push him for the starting spot in the future.

Doesn't matter that MW proved he couldn't play LT. He was drafted that high to be a LT.

As for Polian and the Bills, the SB-era OL consisted of 2 players Polian drafted: a one 1st rounder (Wolford) and the other an 11th rounder (Ballard). One of the others (Ritcher) was already on the team.

what about Glenn Parker- 3rd 1990, John Fina-1st 1992 and the key free agent signings of Kent Hull and John Davis

Polian did not need to draft OTs in Ondy since the Colts used 1st and 2nd picks in 1997 to get their bookend OTs

We will see if Buddy has enough juice to draft a LT at #10.

my guess is they pick the WR and claim Hairston is a LT stud in disguise

Ralph Wilson will have little to say and influence on who will be selected. He is at a stage in his life where he is incapable of being materially involved in the football operation. He selected a person he is comfortable with, Buddy Nix, and he trusts his judgment. All the owner wants at this stage is to be kept informed as to what is going on. When Tom Donahoe was too dismissive of him the boss showed him who was the boss and unceremoneously gave him the boot.

If the owner is feeling well enough I'm sure that he will be in the draft room, at least for the first pick. That certainly is appropriate since he is the owner and signs the hefty checks.

It should be interesting to see if Ralph is at the draft… I tend to doubt it.

He missed numerous home games this year didn't he? Including the season opener?

I also thought he didn't attend the draft last year.

Just my recollections.

It should be interesting to see if Ralph is at the draft… I tend to doubt it.

He missed numerous home games this year didn't he? Including the season opener?

I also thought he didn't attend the draft last year.

Just my recollections.

Last year he fractured his hip in June. So he was incapacitated for a while undergoing rehab. As far as attending last year's draft I'm not sure. I do remember pictures of him and Dareus but not sure it was in NYC on draft day. It could have been at the hometown press day for the Bills' drafted players.

There is no doubt that the owner is slowing down and is less involved. No one has ever defeated Mother Nature. As I stated in a prior post RW is very comfortable with Buddy and trusts him. Buddy is smart enough and classy enough to be respectful and considerate of the aging owner.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/morning_roundup/2011/09/bills-owner-on-injury-list.html

what about Glenn Parker- 3rd 1990, John Fina-1st 1992 and the key free agent signings of Kent Hull and John Davis

Polian did not need to draft OTs in Ondy since the Colts used 1st and 2nd picks in 1997 to get their bookend OTs

We will see if Buddy has enough juice to draft a LT at #10.

my guess is they pick the WR and claim Hairston is a LT stud in disguise

Just a small thing...Fina was actually Drafted to be Ritcher's replacement at LG and was pushed over to LT when Wolford was stolen away... B-)