On taking Decastro at 10

I think alot of the pro and con DeCastro talk on this board has been pretty good and has made it an interesting topic to keep checking on when I'm here. I was pretty much in the "no DeCastro at 10" camp until I realized that both Wood and Levitre are going to be up for contracts next year and the possibility of one of them not returning is high. I don't think the fact that DeCastro is an interior lineman will have any bearing on if we select him. I think Buddy has shown that, in the first round at least, he is a proponent of selecting BPA regardless of need and position. The later rounds is where he likes to address need as he seems confident in his ability to find good players later on in the draft.

If they have DeCastro rated very highly, then he will be the pick. I wouldn't be too surprised if Richardson drops to 10 that he is our selection as well. You take the best talent with your high picks and reach later in the draft.

I think alot of the pro and con DeCastro talk on this board has been pretty good and has made it an interesting topic to keep checking on when I'm here. I was pretty much in the "no DeCastro at 10" camp until I realized that both Wood and Levitre are going to be up for contracts next year and the possibility of one of them not returning is high. I don't think the fact that DeCastro is an interior lineman will have any bearing on if we select him. I think Buddy has shown that, in the first round at least, he is a proponent of selecting BPA regardless of need and position. The later rounds is where he likes to address need as he seems confident in his ability to find good players later on in the draft.

If they have DeCastro rated very highly, then he will be the pick. I wouldn't be too surprised if Richardson drops to 10 that he is our selection as well. You take the best talent with your high picks and reach later in the draft.

I wouldn't have a problem if the Bills went with DeCastro, but I would certainly look at the option of trading down if some of the players we want are still going to be available.

Edited by BB2004

I agree with your theory.

Do you agree that players can have a similar Value wether it is a percent or number or letter grade?

IE if you have DeCastro rated at 4.8 out of 5 and you also have say Gilmore at 4.8 out of 5, would you not then look at what you need more now?

it has been pointed out before how Nix had said that you draft OT's because if they cannot cut it at OT you can move them inside.

I think there is absolutely no chance we take Decastro.

That's a general statement he made though. It doesn't mean he would never draft a top guard. I don't think he will take DeCastro, but it's certainly possible.

I still think there taking Floyd, Nix has said he wants a big time WR, and Floyd is that guy at #10. We go LT in second round and OLB in 3rd, CB in 4th and Best available after that. But Nix himself has said many times we need that Calvin Johnson type WR, its going to be Floyd, unless some how Blackmon falls..

I still think there taking Floyd, Nix has said he wants a big time WR, and Floyd is that guy at #10. We go LT in second round and OLB in 3rd, CB in 4th and Best available after that. But Nix himself has said many times we need that Calvin Johnson type WR, its going to be Floyd, unless some how Blackmon falls..

See, I've been thinking the same thing about taking Floyd, especially when I heard that he and Blackmon were about equal on tape. But then you have to turn around and realise that there's going to be plenty of talent at WR in the second and third rounds as well. If it happens that we take Floyd, but then have WRs as the BPAs in rounds 2 or 3, do you stock up on WR? Go for a lesser valued player? ::shrug::

This is why I'm unsure about drafting Floyd in the first. I keep going back and forth between loving the idea and hating it.

See, I've been thinking the same thing about taking Floyd, especially when I heard that he and Blackmon were about equal on tape. But then you have to turn around and realise that there's going to be plenty of talent at WR in the second and third rounds as well. If it happens that we take Floyd, but then have WRs as the BPAs in rounds 2 or 3, do you stock up on WR? Go for a lesser valued player? ::shrug::

This is why I'm unsure about drafting Floyd in the first. I keep going back and forth between loving the idea and hating it.

Mostly because NFL GMs and the guys doing the actual selecting don't think like fans. Fans look at WR that are likely to be available in the second round and say there look to be four guys that can all play. Lets get a tackle first and at least 2 or 3 of those 4 guys are going to be available when we pick in the second round. GMs look at those 4 guys and may only like one of the four in the second round, and if they think highly of them, other teams may too, so none of them may be there.

Obviously that is very generic. If you love a guy like Floyd at #10, at a position of need like we have, who has a chance to be a star, you take him. I think he is one of the 3-4 choices we have as strong possibilities and I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he is the pick.

You have to wonder. Stanford has a 1sthandsome round guard and tackle and the probable 1 overall pick at qb. One of these guys isn't as good as they are made out to be.

I think he's a good player but there is a reason why like one guard ever has been picked in the top 10.

Mostly because NFL GMs and the guys doing the actual selecting don't think like fans. Fans look at WR that are likely to be available in the second round and say there look to be four guys that can all play. Lets get a tackle first and at least 2 or 3 of those 4 guys are going to be available when we pick in the second round. GMs look at those 4 guys and may only like one of the four in the second round, and if they think highly of them, other teams may too, so none of them may be there.

Obviously that is very generic. If you love a guy like Floyd at #10, at a position of need like we have, who has a chance to be a star, you take him. I think he is one of the 3-4 choices we have as strong possibilities and I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he is the pick.

I've got not arguments with this, but the problem comes in when they love a guy like Floyd at #10, but also really like most or all of the hypothetical four guys that are supposed to be there in round 2. Take Floyd? Hope those four are still around come round 2? Take Floyd then another WR in round 2? Take Floyd and ignore those WRs in round 2 and shore up another position, even though you really think one of those WRs can help your team? What if the draft falls such that they take Floyd in round 1, then a WR has a MUCH higher rating on their draft board then anyone else.

Your right that a GM has to think differently then a fan, but these are the kind of tough decisions they have to make

I've got not arguments with this, but the problem comes in when they love a guy like Floyd at #10, but also really like most or all of the hypothetical four guys that are supposed to be there in round 2. Take Floyd? Hope those four are still around come round 2? Take Floyd then another WR in round 2? Take Floyd and ignore those WRs in round 2 and shore up another position, even though you really think one of those WRs can help your team? What if the draft falls such that they take Floyd in round 1, then a WR has a MUCH higher rating on their draft board then anyone else.

Your right that a GM has to think differently then a fan, but these are the kind of tough decisions they have to make

To me, it's hard to imagine that a GM would like 3-4 of the 4 guys in this hypothetical, especially because, for example, Nix is inarguably looking for a specific type of WR, a big fast guy. Secondly, IMO there is really no such thing as pure Best Player Available, and there is a one in a million chance, maybe, that Nix takes Floyd and then another WR at #2 even if he is by far the BPA at that moment (which is highly unlikely to begin with).

But yes, these are very hard decisions for a GM to make, and why even the very best of all time are right on their decisions maybe 30% of the time (the first round notwithstanding). It's like baseball. You're an awesome, hall of fame hitter if you bat .333, but that still means you were out two out of three times.

Ideally you recalibrate your need after each pick is made, and based on the depth of the draft it's highly unlikely that Bills would have another WR rated that much higher than the next available LT, QB, LB or CB in round 2.

Where the Bills got burnt in the past was taking a flyer on lesser player for a perceived higher need - ie Troup, McCargo, etc. Hopefully, with a more solid roster this year there will be no reaches.

That's a general statement he made though. It doesn't mean he would never draft a top guard. I don't think he will take DeCastro, but it's certainly possible.

I've been on the fence about Reiff, but if Nix's philosophy is truly "Take an OT, if they don't work at tackle, shift 'em to guard," wouldn't Reiff be the ideal pick? He's widely believed to be the 2nd best tackle, he's a stellar run blocker, and his one weakness (short arms) isn't an issue at guard. And, if we're not able to resign Wood and Levitre, our replacement is already on the roster.

DeCastro, while a stud at guard, doesn't offer the versatility to slide out to tackle.

He's went beyond that statement though...

" We draft tackles and we are in pretty good shape at guard and center."

When asked specifically about the Bills needs overall there was not any mention of an OG...And he mentioned plenty of needs...

"I think even signing Stevie (Johnson), I know all you guys watched the games this weekend and there’s only one Calvin Johnson but there’s some more similar to that, that you throw it up there. They’re not covered when they’re covered. We could use another big time receiver. On offense we could use another offensive tackle. Defensively I would say the priority would have to be pass rushers, defensive ends, pass rushers - one maybe two. And you could never have enough corners. We would like to add two corners, whether it’s through free agency or whether it’s through the draft. We also at some point need another linebacker. We got we think Chris White. Kirk Morrison’s up and I don’t know what will happen with him but we need another linebacker. We’ve got some guys that are tweaners kind of. I’m talking about (Arthur) Moats and (Danny) Batten. Those guys will get a shot at linebacker."

I just don't see a chance in hell the Bills will use #10 overall on a College OG/C...Just don't see it... B-)

The reason to pick DeCastro is that many people have said he's the best guard to enter the draft since Steve Hutchinson in 2001. Nix might take him if he has a similar grade on him and Rieff isn't in the top 20. I wouldn't be upset if they took him at #10. If Floyd is gone I think there'd be a very good chance that he is the pick.

The plan at OLT would be to start Hairston, then kick Levitre out if Hairston can't cut it. Drafting an OT in round 2 would remain a possiblity and there are a few potential names out there. Reiff is the safer pick, but DeCastro then an OT in round 2 could make an outstanding OL. It'll be intereseting to see how much of a gambler Nix is.

Edited by Flatlander

He's went beyond that statement though...

" We draft tackles and we are in pretty good shape at guard and center."

When asked specifically about the Bills needs overall there was not any mention of an OG...And he mentioned plenty of needs...

"I think even signing Stevie (Johnson), I know all you guys watched the games this weekend and there's only one Calvin Johnson but there's some more similar to that, that you throw it up there. They're not covered when they're covered. We could use another big time receiver. On offense we could use another offensive tackle. Defensively I would say the priority would have to be pass rushers, defensive ends, pass rushers - one maybe two. And you could never have enough corners. We would like to add two corners, whether it's through free agency or whether it's through the draft. We also at some point need another linebacker. We got we think Chris White. Kirk Morrison's up and I don't know what will happen with him but we need another linebacker. We've got some guys that are tweaners kind of. I'm talking about (Arthur) Moats and (Danny) Batten. Those guys will get a shot at linebacker."

I just don't see a chance in hell the Bills will use #10 overall on a College OG/C...Just don't see it... B-)

Oh, I don't see it either, which is why I said I don't think he will. But Nix says a lot of things, and sometimes even contradicts himself, and IMO they are not absolutes, like he won't draft guards. He has clear preferences though, and usually follows them. But for instance, he has said repeatedly that he likes certain things, and follows through with them, but they are usually 7-8 different things like 1] big 2] fast 3] smart 4] high character 5] long time player not one year wonder 6] production on field/on tape against top competition 7] (unsaid) southern school, etc.

If a player fits 6 of those things, Nix is likely to love him. Or better, if you happen to have all but one of them it doesn't exclude you. Like in the "we like to draft tackles" case. In another year, I think he would strongly consider a guy like DeCastro, who is one of the more sure thing picks in the draft. This year, however, I think Nix sticks to the four positions of need much more than the BPA concept.

The reason to pick DeCastro is that many people have said he's the best guard to enter the draft since Steve Hutchinson in 2001. Nix might take him if he has a similar grade on him and Rieff isn't in the top 20. I wouldn't be upset if they took him at #10. If Floyd is gone I think there'd be a very good chance that he is the pick.

The plan at OLT would be to start Hairston, then kick Levitre out if Hairston can't cut it. Drafting an OT in round 2 would remain a possiblity and there are a few potential names out there. Reiff is the safer pick, but DeCastro then an OT in round 2 could make an outstanding OL. It'll be intereseting to see how much of a gambler Nix is.

To me this makes no sense, we need a LT not a guard, why would we take a guard at #10 and have him sit the bench behind Urbick and Lev. >? Or if he can start why kick out one of the guards we have that are playing good together.? were either drafting Floyd or a LT, and to me there will be no LT worth the #10 pick, but there is a couple good LT's that wil be there with our second pick and him and Hariston will battle for the starting spot, lets admit Hariston did not play bad last year at LT, thats why Floyd will be the pick, Hopefully Adams who is a LT will be there with our second pick, and it will be an OLB in the 3rd followed by CB in the 4th... This makes sense..