The Bell has gonged: Reiff is our guy

That was probably a reach as well but he at least was a decent player for us. He also looked really good playing for the Niners last year behind a pass rush and knocking out receivers.

He was not at fault for where he was picked but he has proved himself to be a solid but pretty much average safety but average is better than below average and yes he looked impressive for the Niners.

Donte did everything that Bills' coaches asked him to do and at no time was in a position to aggressively becoming an interception machine, which is what this board's naysayers probably wanted out of the #8 pick.

If you look around the league it's easy to see that the draft is really a crap shoot and most teams can count the same number of big time failures that the Bills can. Plus, every team can look at players drafted after their pick and say could of, would of, should of.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly it...He's not suited...Even some of his biggest fans, Scouts like Mayock that LOVE the guy, don't feel he's an NFL LT...It's not about his arms, or his build necessarily...It's about his ability to handle speed and power off the edge vs. the best the NFL has to offer at your QB's blindside.

After watching the game tape, Mike Mayock...

Mayock initially graded Reiff as the top tackle entering the draft but slotted USC junior-eligible Matt Kalil at No. 1 this week. Mayock said he determined Kalil was a more solid prospect after watching tape on each player.

"I still like Riley Reiff a lot," Mayock said. "I still think he's a starting left tackle in the NFL. I just don't think his upside is as high as Matt Kalil, who's also an underclassman.

http://thegazette.co...ly-top-10-pick/

Later, he said..

On Reif: "To me, he's a little bit overvalued right now. You keep seeing him in the top 10 in a lot of mocks. I don't see that. I feel much more comfortable taking him somewhere in the 20s.

"I think he's a good player who's a right tackle to start with, and ultimately, 2-3 years down the road, could develop into a left tackle. But I don't see him as a guy you could plug in at left tackle Day 1 and say, 'We're good.'"

Edited by Kelly the Dog

We are picking Reiff/DeCastro in round 1. If they are both gone that would be quite a bad thing but one or both should still be there . There are 15-20 receivers in this draft with good talent. There are not very many starting tackles. Take the lineman or you don't get one.. Simple as that.

Draft Tek has him listed at #8. Suppose he goes before #10. What then?

Drafting a player, especially the 2nd or 3rd best one, based only on need has never backed fired.

Signed,

JP Losman, James Hardy, and John McCargo

having a dumb mgmt team makes that stuff happen... so its as much the dumbness factor as the

on need factor.

Hmmm....drafting an OT at #10 is intriguing, and certainly fills a need, but have you heard of that kid from Notre Dame, Michael Floyd? Word on the street is that he is "the bee's knees," as the kids say these days.

what does that mean?

After watching the game tape, Mike Mayock...

http://thegazette.co...ly-top-10-pick/

Later, he said..

Thanks Kelly,

I forgot about Mayock saying he liked Reiff in the 20's...I know what he's saying about Reiff being a LT 2-3 years down the road, but I think that's precisely why you don't Draft the guy at #10 overall...Unless you're 100% sure he's a LT, there's not value in this Kid at #10...

I know Reiff is a better prospect coming out...But if The Bills would not take Bulaga at #8 overall a couple years ago when they had HUGE O-Line needs, I don't think they take Reiff at #10 this year... Unless of course they think he can beat out Hairston at LT...And I don't think there's a chance that Reiff will be a better LT as a Rookie than Hairston...#75 will be in his 2nd year with 7 Starts in the NFL at LT already under his belt...Hairston has a chance to make a BIG jump this year with a full off-season, mini-camps, etc...I really feel the reason The Bills low-balled Bell was because they actually have confidence in Hairston...And if that's the case there is no value in Reiff, or any other OT not named Kalil at #10 overall...

I'm just not buying this OT at #10 momentum...Bell or no Bell...We'll see though...I reserve the right to be completely wrong... ;)

Still on the Floyd (prima donna) bandwagon Homer ?? Especially since we don't need a LT but we do need a knucklehead when there's 15-20 receivers just like him in the draft :wallbash:

You didn't answer my question about Reiff getting trouble compared to Floyd? Also how is Floyd a primadonna? I don't know too many prima donnas who were janitors while playing football for a major program.

Still on the Floyd (prima donna) bandwagon Homer ?? Especially since we don't need a LT but we do need a knucklehead when there's 15-20 receivers just like him in the draft :wallbash:

15-20 WRs like Floyd....wow. it must suck to have your opinions. you must be wrong a lot.

Show me where I mentioned Floyd in this thread? How am I a bandwagon fan? I've met Floyd, does that put me on a bandwagon? Or would it be the fact that I actually went to the same school as he did? Yes, I can see I'm really late jumping on the Floyd bandwagon. I struggle to find you making a single logical or coherent point on this board.

Here's the strained thread of your logic.

1- We need an LT

2- We will draft DeCastro or Reiff. DeCastro is a Guard and Reiff is a RT.

3- Your point having being excoriated, you proceed to attack other people.

[/quote name=MOVALLEYRANDY' timestamp='1333559436' post='2430039]

We are picking Reiff/DeCastro in round 1. If they are both gone that would be quite a bad thing but one or both should still be there . There are 15-20 receivers in this draft with good talent. There are not very many starting tackles. Take the lineman or you don't get one.. Simple as that.

A M E N :thumbsup:

Not disagreeing with your basic point, but how will you feel if Nix believes Reiff is the best fit at No. 10? Just curious to hear your opinion...

I completely trust Buddy. I trust him so much that I know he won't draft Reiff at number 10.

That's exactly it...He's not suited...Even some of his biggest fans, Scouts like Mayock that LOVE the guy, don't feel he's an NFL LT...It's not about his arms, or his build necessarily...It's about his ability to handle speed and power off the edge vs. the best the NFL has to offer at your QB's blindside...I honestly don't think there is any way Reiff could be a better NFL LT than Hairston...Especially as a Rookie, and especially after the experience Hairston got last Season...Just my opinion though... B-)

I totally agree. Reiff is not equipped with the natural talent necessary to become a starting quality NFL left tackle.

I even find his inline blocking to be very underwhelming. He gets very little movement from what I've seen.

The 110 plays I watched of him against Nebraska and Oklahoma were shockingly mediocre.

Iowa runs about half the time and 90% of their pass plays are play action.

Also, 90% of their pass plays are 3 and 5 step drops.

They almost never throw the ball out of shotgun and/or use a 7-step drop.

In those two games, they almost never put Reiff on an island on obvious passing downs.

Nebraska had no one capable of rushing the passer. Oklahoma had two guys with pass rush skills and Reiff had his hands full with both of them.

This guy is a guard because he doesn't have the talent to play on the left side and he doesn't have the power to play right tackle.

JMO.

Thanks Kelly,

I forgot about Mayock saying he liked Reiff in the 20's...I know what he's saying about Reiff being a LT 2-3 years down the road, but I think that's precisely why you don't Draft the guy at #10 overall...Unless you're 100% sure he's a LT, there's not value in this Kid at #10...

I know Reiff is a better prospect coming out...But if The Bills would not take Bulaga at #8 overall a couple years ago when they had HUGE O-Line needs, I don't think they take Reiff at #10 this year... Unless of course they think he can beat out Hairston at LT...And I don't think there's a chance that Reiff will be a better LT as a Rookie than Hairston...#75 will be in his 2nd year with 7 Starts in the NFL at LT already under his belt...Hairston has a chance to make a BIG jump this year with a full off-season, mini-camps, etc...I really feel the reason The Bills low-balled Bell was because they actually have confidence in Hairston...And if that's the case there is no value in Reiff, or any other OT not named Kalil at #10 overall...

I'm just not buying this OT at #10 momentum...Bell or no Bell...We'll see though...I reserve the right to be completely wrong... ;)

I agree with pretty much all of that. I am not overly impressed with Reiff either. I wouldn't mind if Nix drafted him at 10 though because that means that Nix thinks Reiff can start at LT on day one whether or not other draftniks do. He's not going to reach to take a LT at 10, but he will take one if he thinks one of these guys can be a solid starting LT in the NFL right away. He said there are 2-3 of those (with one of them obviously Kalil).

But if he likes a guy more than the guy(s) he thinks can start at LT, whether it is Reiff, Martin, Adams, or Glenn, like Kirpatrick or Floyd or Keuchly or someone else at a position of need that can start, IMO he takes the best of the BPA at position of need between LT, WR, CB and LB, in that order of need.