Chargers sign Roscoe Parrish

Very good punt returner and one of the worst picks by the worst GMs in Bills' history. Roscoe was fearless but of course he was injury prone. He was Papa Smurf's size. TD was an idiot but I wish Scoe well.

Name one major injury Roscoe had that you think was due to his size from how it happened. Do you really think his bones were more brittle than other guys? He would get hit harder than anyone going over the middle and pop right back up. His injuries were usually flukes, bad luck, and stuff that happens to players off all sizes. His first wrist injury was a total fluke and wasn't even getting hit. MAYBE, maybe one of his wrist injuries were due to his size but I really don't think so. He got smashed all the time. He was surely injury prone, but like most guys in good shape who are injury prone, it's more an issue of luck than size, skill, training, being frail, etc.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name one major injury Roscoe had that you think was due to his size from how it happened. Do you really think his bones were more brittle than other guys? He would get hit harder than anyone going over the middle and pop right back up. His injuries were usually flukes, bad luck, and stuff that happens to players off all sizes. His first wrist injury was a total fluke and wasn't even getting hit. MAYBE, maybe one of his wrist injuries were due to his size but I really don't think so. He got smashed all the time. He was surely injury prone, but like most guys in good shape who are injury prone, it's more an issue of luck than size, skill, training, being frail, etc.

He missed 35 games in 7 years. http://www.nfl.com/player/roscoeparrish/2506394/profile He's also turning 30 which doesn't improve your chances of staying healthy.

Like I said, he was a great PR. But his career high in receiving was 400 yards and he never had more than 2 tds in a season. I respect the hell out of him for playing in the NFL at his size and he had some of the best highlights during an awful period of Bills football. But he still was a very bad 2nd round pick.

I remember that haha Who picked him up?

Another player from a previous regime gone. I'm too lazy to look it up but I am guessing that there are very few players left from the Donahoe/Levy tenure. I guess you could count the Byrd/Levitre draft class but Buddy did have his fingers in that.

Off the top of my head, I count 5 drafted pre-Buddy and a handful of free agents, including the kickers, before he got here, the rest are all Buddys players.

The team is definitely getting younger and getting rid of all of those guys that have no clue how to win in Buffalo(not that any of the current ones do either but...). I am guessing that Kelsay and McGee could be next and the only one safe for the time being would be Kyle Williams.

He missed 35 games in 7 years. http://www.nfl.com/p...2506394/profile He's also turning 30 which doesn't improve your chances of staying healthy.

Like I said, he was a great PR. But his career high in receiving was 400 yards and he never had more than 2 tds in a season. I respect the hell out of him for playing in the NFL at his size and he had some of the best highlights during an awful period of Bills football. But he still was a very bad 2nd round pick.

Name one injury that you think occurred because of his size, or because you think his bones are brittle, or something that has anything to do with his small stature? This wasn't really directed at you, but he did mention his size like that was the issue. I didn't mean to imply he wasn't a health risk, or he wasn't injury prone, he inarguably was. But it seems like people just assume that A he is small and B he gets hurt a lot so C he gets hurt a lot because he is small, and I just don't really see evidence of that. Every time he seemed to get plastered he bounced right back up. His injuries were flukes, and while it is possible that if he had thicker wrists he may not have broken them, I really have seen no evidence for that.

Roscoe gave it his all. Because of his size, he always was an underdog. I always thought that being from Buffalo meant having a soft spot in your heart for underdogs.

The guy was exciting and, unlike one former Bill's receiver who continues to be unsigned, has no problem going over the middle.

I never understood the hate for Roscoe by some on this board. I know that people love to mention that he has been hurt a lot. Yet, given his stature and the way he plays the game without fear, I give him a lot of credit.

Just because Eric Wood has had issues getting hurt, does that mean I should treat him as some have treated Roscoe here.

I wish Roscoe nothing but the best - except when he plays the Bills.

Name one injury that you think occurred because of his size, or because you think his bones are brittle, or something that has anything to do with his small stature? This wasn't really directed at you, but he did mention his size like that was the issue. I didn't mean to imply he wasn't a health risk, or he wasn't injury prone, he inarguably was. But it seems like people just assume that A he is small and B he gets hurt a lot so C he gets hurt a lot because he is small, and I just don't really see evidence of that. Every time he seemed to get plastered he bounced right back up. His injuries were flukes, and while it is possible that if he had thicker wrists he may not have broken them, I really have seen no evidence for that.

Inch by inch, he's one of the toughest guys in the NFL. But if a guy misses 35 games, yes, size is a concern. How many guys his size have succeed and not had injuries? Don't say Welker because he has about 3" and a good 20 lbs on him.

Drafting an undersized PR with a your first pick in a draft is a dumb move.

Inch by inch, he's one of the toughest guys in the NFL. But if a guy misses 35 games, yes, size is a concern. How many guys his size have succeed and not had injuries? Don't say Welker because he has about 3" and a good 20 lbs on him.

Drafting an undersized PR with a your first pick in a draft is a dumb move.

So you're saying that his size was the reason he got two wrist injuries and an ankle injury, is that correct?

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Whether his size contributed to his injuries is irrelevant. His size absolutely contributed to his ability to get open and make plays. At his size, he is the antithesis of a Nix/ Gailey WR, who is open even when he was covered. Parrish was only decent for bubble screens, which isn't enough in todays NFL. Add to that his injury history and he's nearly useless to the Bills as a WR. Great guy, but so what.

I understand not liking him as a player, but playing most of his active career with Lossman and Trentative, had a big impact on his stats.

Completely agree that they had some effect on his stats. But it goes both ways. Parrish also had an effect on the QB's stats. He's currently listed no higher than 5th on the SD WR depth chart and may have trouble making that team.

So you're saying that his size was the reason he got two wrist injuries and an ankle injury, is that correct?

Apply some common sense. You can't have high speed collisions with other players and/or the ground when everybody outweighs you by such an extreme margin. It's simple physics. The cross section of his bones and connective tissue are radically smaller than the corners and safeties that are tackling him. You can't play with his level of speed and aggressiveness and not have parts of your body break. It's straight up Russian Roulette. The only chance he has of making it through a complete season is if he were to only run streak patterns in the hopes of outrunning the secondary. Those are still terrible odds.

Apply some common sense. You can't have high speed collisions with other players and/or the ground when everybody outweighs you by such an extreme margin. It's simple physics. The cross section of his bones and connective tissue are radically smaller than the corners and safeties that are tackling him. You can't play with his level of speed and aggressiveness and not have parts of your body break. It's straight up Russian Roulette. The only chance he has of making it through a complete season is if he were to only run streak patterns in the hopes of outrunning the secondary. Those are still terrible odds.

You're making my point. Thanks. All the plays where there were big collisions didn't affect him. He never got hurt. Look at the actual plays he got hurt on and what actually happened to him. Whenever there was a ferocious hit he bounced right back up. His bones didn't wear down either from big hits. He got hurt on fluke plays and his wrist hitting the ground at a bad angle and that kind of stuff. Not the big bad nfl for the big guys.

I love the pecker checking that you FNGs always need to do. Stand up and sing your fight song.

ahhh, I originally said something inappropriate for a Bills fan site and you're not worth it. I'm glad I went back and changed it to this. You're right big boy, I'm "pecker checking" with the biggest baddest blogger in the world.

Edited by Triple Threat

You're making my point. Thanks. All the plays where there were big collisions didn't affect him. He never got hurt. Look at the actual plays he got hurt on and what actually happened to him. Whenever there was a ferocious hit he bounced right back up. His bones didn't wear down either from big hits. He got hurt on fluke plays and his wrist hitting the ground at a bad angle and that kind of stuff. Not the big bad nfl for the big guys.

On second thought, don't apply common sense. :lol:

Whether his size contributed to his injuries is irrelevant. His size absolutely contributed to his ability to get open and make plays. At his size, he is the antithesis of a Nix/ Gailey WR, who is open even when he was covered. Parrish was only decent for bubble screens, which isn't enough in todays NFL. Add to that his injury history and he's nearly useless to the Bills as a WR. Great guy, but so what.

Completely agree that they had some effect on his stats. But it goes both ways. Parrish also had an effect on the QB's stats. He's currently listed no higher than 5th on the SD WR depth chart and may have trouble making that team.

Those guys would kill Jerry Rice's stats...

Prolly right, but I'm sure #5 and #7 would have been better if they could chuck it Rice's way instead of Parrish, Hardy et al.

Trentative wouldn't even throw the ball. I'm not trying to paint Parrish as a star or anything, but those guys really sucked, and it's hard to judge a receiver when the QB is so bad.

As an aside...

People lose their mind, but I consider Rice to be slightly overrated, because he had 2 consecutive Hall of Famer's throwing him the ball. Some will say "he put THEM in the HoF", but they made all their receivers look good.

Roscoe gave it his all. Because of his size, he always was an underdog. I always thought that being from Buffalo meant having a soft spot in your heart for underdogs.

The guy was exciting and, unlike one former Bill's receiver who continues to be unsigned, has no problem going over the middle.

I never understood the hate for Roscoe by some on this board. I know that people love to mention that he has been hurt a lot. Yet, given his stature and the way he plays the game without fear, I give him a lot of credit.

Just because Eric Wood has had issues getting hurt, does that mean I should treat him as some have treated Roscoe here.

I wish Roscoe nothing but the best - except when he plays the Bills.

yep. it's almost like some of you had not seen him play.

He played hard and he played fast. His returns were on occasion amazing he Owns some franchise records He went over the middle fearlessly for a team that sucked repeatedly. Chan finally got him back into the game for us but his Luck was not so good

Some of you folks might want to be more considerate. Sure it's time to move on or retire even, but he is a Buffalo Bill at heart and always was. :angry:

Trentative wouldn't even throw the ball. I'm not trying to paint Parrish as a star or anything, but those guys really sucked, and it's hard to judge a receiver when the QB is so bad.

As an aside...

People lose their mind, but I consider Rice to be slightly overrated, because he had 2 consecutive Hall of Famer's throwing him the ball. Some will say "he put THEM in the HoF", but they made all their receivers look good.

How can you tell who made whom look good? I know a 7 yard in turned into a 50 yard td often with Rice and it shows up like QB threw a bomb. I thought Rice was incredible and I think the Bills WRs between Moulds and Johnson were HORRIBLE, #11 included.

Edited by JPS

How can you tell who made whom look good? I know a 7 yard in turned into a 50 yard td often with Rice and it shows up like QB threw a bomb. I thought Rice was incredible and I think the Bills WRs between Moulds and Johnson were HORRIBLE, #11 included.

Okay, but it's hard to turn a 7 yard pass into anything when the defense KNOWS you aren't going to throw the ball more 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. Everyone could see that defenses were sitting on the short routes.

Edited by Matthews' Bag