Bills Mafia Has Players Bill-ieving

dcjoev

I'm liking the feedback I've got from you guys so far and really appreciate it. I have to admit that I held off on writing a story on BillsMafia because I thought it wouldn't last. I live in DC, but grew up in Rochester through the 70's and 80's, when the Italian Mafia was alive and well. I remember watching the violence play out on the news as a kid and asking my Mom & Dad if it was real. I later found out how real it was, when I researched it in college and learned the intracacies of the infamous A & B Teams that existed in NY State. It's true all right and you should google it sometime. So, I'd have to say that the Mafia moniker is a bit surprising to me (from a Twitter standpoint), because I wonder how many of those who came up with it, really know how close it actually was and/or still is to them. Upstate New York was notorious for mobsters back in the day, but many of them got pinched and didn't get out of jail til they were in their late 70's and 80's. But "The Families" still exist and perhaps the BillsMafia thinks that a "tie-in" to the name is warranted, because of their proximity (the past few decades) to organized crime.

That is true, totally forgot about the Rochester mobsters. Guess that satisfies NoSaint's requirements! :P

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Kelly didn't ever use a machine gun, but it was a nickname.

I love the fact that the players are giving themselves an identity. I could careless if the word mafia has anything to do with them.

Right, but machine gun and a qb throwing rapid fire no huddle..... Makes sense. A connection.

That is true, totally forgot about the Rochester mobsters. Guess that satisfies NoSaint's requirements! :P

There you go!

I'm liking the feedback I've got from you guys so far and really appreciate it. I have to admit that I held off on writing a story on BillsMafia because I thought it wouldn't last. I live in DC, but grew up in Rochester through the 70's and 80's, when the Italian Mafia was alive and well. I remember watching the violence play out on the news as a kid and asking my Mom & Dad if it was real. I later found out how real it was, when I researched it in college and learned the intracacies of the infamous A & B Teams that existed in NY State. It's true all right and you should google it sometime. So, I'd have to say that the Mafia moniker is a bit surprising to me (from a Twitter standpoint), because I wonder how many of those who came up with it, really know how close it actually was and/or still is to them. Upstate New York was notorious for mobsters back in the day, but many of them got pinched and didn't get out of jail til they were in their late 70's and 80's. But "The Families" still exist and perhaps the BillsMafia thinks that a "tie-in" to the name is warranted, because of their proximity (the past few decades) to organized crime.

If they're really trying go off the image of local Mafia I would be against it but I think they are just trying to identify with toughness and a tight-nit group.

The BillsMafia thing is annoying, pathetic, and something I hope dies out soon. We are blue collar team with an image of hard working, hardy and local fans. We are far from the young punks that go to many other stadiums approaching with the frat boy style parties. To me it screams of this. Frat boy mentality combined with desire to be like "Anonymous." BillsMafia could not be further from either, in reality, regardless of them wanting to wear suits. Anonymous is an organized, top to bottom group that has earned respect by their power. To talk of it as a known quantity doesn't even make sense. With this you combine a sensationalized group of fraternization / tribalism that celebrates attention in any way, shape, or form. Whether it is being loud and obnoxious like jets or pats fans or dressing like someone this team is not - suit and tie wearing folk they do not represent my vision of this team.

To represent this team you take your lunch to work every day. You drive a vehicle that makes sense for you, with no fancy trinkets or customized features. You have more work clothes and wear them then you do Ultimate Fighting tee shirts. You listen and watch a variety of formats and genres but you have roots to the real American stuff; the classic rocks, the jazz bands on the radio and when it comes to TV you do watch the news, you watch the Simpsons and still watch reruns of classics on TVLand.

Sure I may drive a F350 Lariet, listen to Willie Nelson, and live 1000 miles away but I am as much a Western New Yorker as those who still live there. Whether living in the Piedmont of North Carolina or back in Brockport - I want to see my hometown, all of WNY, represented with heart, passion and honesty. Those three things are tried and true. Those three things survive the best and worst of times; something we all know about. BillsMafia, feel free to be just a fad.

I'm liking the feedback I've got from you guys so far and really appreciate it. I have to admit that I held off on writing a story on BillsMafia because I thought it wouldn't last. I live in DC, but grew up in Rochester through the 70's and 80's, when the Italian Mafia was alive and well. I remember watching the violence play out on the news as a kid and asking my Mom & Dad if it was real. I later found

out how real it was, when I researched it in college and

learned the intracacies of the infamous A & B Teams that

existed in NY State. It's true all right and you should

google it sometime. So, I'd have to say that the Mafia

moniker is a bit surprising to me (from a Twitter

standpoint), because I wonder how many of those who

came up with it, really know how close it actually was

and/or still is to them. Upstate New York was notorious for

mobsters back in the day, but many of them got pinched

and didn't get out of jail til they were in their late 70's and

80's. But "The Families" still exist and perhaps the BillsMafia thinks that a "tie-in" to the name is warranted,

because of their proximity (the past few decades) to organized crime.

Now this is something that I could write about. Trust me when I tell you that the history of the Rochester Crime Family is as interesting as any Hollywood movie.

While the name BillsMafia isn't in the best taste the concept of unifying the players with the fanbase is. If that's an identity that the young players can dig identifying with and it's not causing anyone no harm than I'm all for it.

Now this is something that I could write about. Trust me when I tell you that the history of the Rochester Crime Family is as interesting as any Hollywood movie.

While the name BillsMafia isn't in the best taste the concept of unifying the players with the fanbase is. If that's an identity that the young players can dig identifying with and it's not causing anyone no harm than I'm all for it.

Yea- that's my take. More power to them for a good effort but not my thing.

I really like the whole BillsMafia concept. I have nothing against rock music or any other genre but I gotta say I grew up listening to hip hop and I'm "for" any type of movement that includes the words, swag and Buffalo Bills in the same sentence. We're building a very unique team and hopefully it will translate into excitement and good results come September. Though I didn't like the Buffalo's back rap. I could have done better.

Also, I don't know how to feel about the whole wearing suits to a football game thing. I guess if you want to show the players to recognize where you're seated then it's a cool thing but there's no way in hell I'm dressing up to watch a football game that's for sure.

I hate the term Bills Mafia. Thug life. Same s..t.

Hate is a strong word. It's already in play. Players on the team already use it in tweets so it's set in stone.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I don't have a problem with it. There are a ton of Italians in Upstate NY and the mafia did exist there. Christ, when I went to my grandfather's funeral it looked like a scene from the Sopranos. I was like "Where did all these dudes with gold rings and overcoats come from?" lol

I totally agree with you.

I'm all for anything that is "pro Bills/Buffalo/WNY", but the term "Bills Mafia" sounds really really lame.

I've read about it before but honestly it always comes off more as it sounds cool than a true connection to the team, city, or history I guess... I think on a personal level id enjoy it more if it was more of an organic feeling to how it came about as opposed to "coming up with a nickname" threads for players - which is the feel I get. I'll give credit that it's been successful, and I like the goal, I was just sharing my views on the term "bills mafia." I just don't think it's something I'll buy into, but I'm not trying to rain on any parades.

Jim Kelly didn't ever use a machine gun, but it was a nickname.

I love the fact that the players are giving themselves an identity. I could careless if the word mafia has anything to do with them.

It was only a nickname for Jim Kelly because it was already established as a nickname, as "Machine Gun Kelly" was already a notorious gangster for real and in popular culture. So there was some connection, and organic, as we know the QB position throws bombs, operates out of the shotgun, fires bullets, etc. It fit naturally. There is no connection for the Bills + Mafia.

What's great about the real Machine Gun Kelly? His real name was "George Celino Barnes". :devil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Gun_Kelly

It was only a nickname for Jim Kelly because it was already established as a nickname, as "Machine Gun Kelly" was already a notorious gangster for real and in popular culture. So there was some connection, and organic, as we know the QB position throws bombs, operates out of the shotgun, fires bullets, etc. It fit naturally. There is no connection for the Bills + Mafia.

What's great about the real Machine Gun Kelly? His real name was "George Celino Barnes". :devil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Gun_Kelly

Exactly. What other nicknames came out of those glory days that were not organic? Biscuit is a perfect example. The Thermanator is obviously a play on The Terminator.

BillsMafia is about as silly as Ochocinco. I understand there are all different types of Bills fans out there but this team is not about rap music, "swag", and bling. Walk through the lots on gameday. You hear classic rock, people driving old beat up vans, wearing jerseys they saved up for still bearing names like Thomas, Kelly, Reed, Smith. Trying to create something that doesn't exist, or at the most is a small niche of this market is not a solid attraction point to bring others on board. Altogether, when you incorporate a lifestyle that the BillsMafia represents with what Buffalo has always been there will be backlash. It doesn't mean it is wrong although it is very silly and immature seeming.

Exactly. What other nicknames came out of those glory days that were not organic? Biscuit is a perfect example. The Thermanator is obviously a play on The Terminator.

BillsMafia is about as silly as Ochocinco. I understand there are all different types of Bills fans out there but this team is not about rap music, "swag", and bling. Walk through the lots on gameday. You hear classic rock, people driving old beat up vans, wearing jerseys they saved up for still bearing names like Thomas, Kelly, Reed, Smith. Trying to create something that doesn't exist, or at the most is a small niche of this market is not a solid attraction point to bring others on board. Altogether, when you incorporate a lifestyle that the BillsMafia represents with what Buffalo has always been there will be backlash. It doesn't mean it is wrong although it is very silly and immature seeming.

Frankly, Stevie re-signing will be big for longevity. Florence and Barnett have a short shelf life here probably. Stevie will be here long term. Whether it totally permeates, or is a segmental thing is yet to be seen.

The BillsMafia thing is annoying, pathetic, and something I hope dies out soon. We are blue collar team with an image of hard working, hardy and local fans. We are far from the young punks that go to many other stadiums approaching with the frat boy style parties. To me it screams of this. Frat boy mentality combined with desire to be like "Anonymous." BillsMafia could not be further from either, in reality, regardless of them wanting to wear suits. Anonymous is an organized, top to bottom group that has earned respect by their power. To talk of it as a known quantity doesn't even make sense. With this you combine a sensationalized group of fraternization / tribalism that celebrates attention in any way, shape, or form. Whether it is being loud and obnoxious like jets or pats fans or dressing like someone this team is not - suit and tie wearing folk they do not represent my vision of this team.

To represent this team you take your lunch to work every day. You drive a vehicle that makes sense for you, with no fancy trinkets or customized features. You have more work clothes and wear them then you do Ultimate Fighting tee shirts. You listen and watch a variety of formats and genres but you have roots to the real American stuff; the classic rocks, the jazz bands on the radio and when it comes to TV you do watch the news, you watch the Simpsons and still watch reruns of classics on TVLand.

Sure I may drive a F350 Lariet, listen to Willie Nelson, and live 1000 miles away but I am as much a Western New Yorker as those who still live there. Whether living in the Piedmont of North Carolina or back in Brockport - I want to see my hometown, all of WNY, represented with heart, passion and honesty. Those three things are tried and true. Those three things survive the best and worst of times; something we all know about. BillsMafia, feel free to be just a fad.

Sorry, but I think you are reading this all wrong. It may be an unfortunate name, but from how I understand it, this started as a very noble thing -- the idea that too many people rag on Buffalo, its team, its players. Instead of absorbing the negativity and either letting it go (or worse, echoing it), these guys decided to defend the city and the players. Some team members picked up on the vibe, on the sense of camaraderie, and used it to bond, and to build a oneness with the community. I just can't see this as bad. To me, it feels like a beautiful thing -- one of the many aspects that makes Buffalo a special place, and the Bills a unique team to root for. It's not about "thug life" or anything, but about unity. But that's just how I see it.

Sorry, but I think you are reading this all wrong. It may be an unfortunate name, but from how I understand it, this started as a very noble thing -- the idea that too many people rag on Buffalo, its team, its players. Instead of absorbing the negativity and either letting it go (or worse, echoing it), these guys decided to defend the city and the players. Some team members picked up on the vibe, on the sense of camaraderie, and used it to bond, and to build a oneness with the community. I just can't see this as bad. To me, it feels like a beautiful thing -- one of the many aspects that makes Buffalo a special place, and the Bills a unique team to root for. It's not about "thug life" or anything, but about unity. But that's just how I see it.

I think we all see it, but only some relate (maybe most). I literally typed the "college kid that just saw the godfather bit" then decided to let it go. It's all good though celebrate your fan hood as feels fit