Remember this name on draft day...

Kaenon

Miles Burris.

From SDSU, this kid is prime.

Sorry to have posted no information but his name before.

I have a couple of good friends who go to SDSU and for the last couple of years have been raving about this linebacker there, Miles Burris.

Burris pic: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~cba/news-online/11-Sept/Burris.jpg

Burris is a linebacker from California (6-2, 245) who played for SDSU.

As a junior, Burris was named to the all-MWC first team while also being the Mountain West's sack and tackles-for-a-loss leader (2010). He recorded team-leading totals in tackles (80), tackles for a loss (20) and sacks (9.5).

Leading into the 2011 campaign in what was his senior year, Burris was the fourth Aztec to be named to the preseason Lombardi Watch list which includes current Bills' linebacker, Kirk Morrison (2003 and 2004).

As an FYI, the annual Rotary Lombardi Award honors the top lineman in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Eligibility for the award is limited to down linemen, end-to-end, either on offense or defense, who set up no farther than 10 yards to the left or right of the ball, or linebackers who set up no farther than five yards deep from the line of scrimmage.

On to 2011: Burris was once again selected to the All-Mountain West Conference First Team for a second straight year (voters include the eight head coaches and a select media panel). He is the first Aztec to do so since, you guessed it, Kirk Morrison (2002-2004).

The senior leads the Aztecs in tackles (72), tackles for loss (19.0), sacks (8.0) and fumble recoveries (3). He ranks eighth in the country in tackles for a loss (1.58/g), tied for 19th in fumble recoveries (0.25/g) and tied for 32nd in sacks (0.67/g). Burris has at least 0.5 tackles for a loss in 18 of the past 19 games. - San Diego State football

Misc. points: he was captain of the Aztecs his senior year, he is a four-time MWC all-academic honoree and was the SDSU student-athlete of the year in 2010 and 2011.

The kid is bright, he's fast, explosive and physical.

For the YouTube lovers, I have a link below to some highlights.

youtube.com/watch?v=RtlONCH8jPA

ENJOY TWO BILLS DRIVE!

P.S. Note all his reverse stops! I feel like the Bills got killed on many reverses in 2010 and 2011, this kids got it down.

Draft players from consistently successful big time programs! In the end, you'll hit more than you miss . . . we've seen enough of the Arthur Moats & Danny Batton types

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you guys didn't watch any of Burris' video.

If you did, those names wouldn't be coming to your minds.

This guy is an exceptional athlete with a non-stop motor.

Not only does his tape show very well but his times from the combine and his pro day are very exceptional.

And he plays much faster than he times.

I don't think I've ever seen a linebacker run down more plays in backside pursuit.

You are right. I know nothing about the guy.

Not only does his tape show very well but his times from the combine and his pro day are very exceptional.

I don't think I've ever seen a linebacker run down more plays in backside pursuit.

At least someone else here has a good eye for talent.

Good comments sjbf

At least someone else here has a good eye for talent.

Good comments sjbf

Well I realize the video clip you linked were his highlights so they might misrepresent a bit how good the kid is.

So I tracked down some video of him playing last year against a very strong TCU team QB'd by Andy Dalton.

The video shows all his plays in the game (good and bad) and you can tell he's improved quite a bit as a player between now and then.

I'd like to track down more video of the guy but he looks like he could be a special player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSNwGJXdohY

I don't normally comment much on highlights due to what they leave out, but even keeping that in mind, those were impressive. Most impressive IMO is his field awareness, not just on overall play recognition as others have pointed out, but in getting around blockers and picking angles to chase down plays.

Instead of overall player highlights, I really like the player game film that you can find a lot on Youtube now that show all the plays of that player in one game. I found one for Burris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSNwGJXdohY

It's from 2010; might have been a lot of changes in his game his senior year. A few comments based on this one:

He is (by far) most effective rushing around the outside. His play recognition effectively gives him the ability to disrupt that whole side of the field as he's able to break off his QB rush and pursue the RB. But, while he's pretty good at avoiding blocks by taking excellent angles, he doesn't seem to be able to shed them very well. When he was engaged by blockers on the outside he was easily moved away from the play and the few times he rushed inside the tackles, he was taken out of the play all together.

As for coverage, I didn't see one example of it. Again, he recognizes plays and moves to receivers where he thinks the ball will be going, but I didn't see him pick up one receiver and stick him. Could be the the overall system, or perhaps those calls could be due to a weakness in his game.

Anyway, hard to get a good feel for a player based on highlights and one game film from two years ago, but overall I like what I saw and he plays in a position of need, though my guess is he's going to be considered a 3-4 OLB. Someone to look out for; thanks to the OP for bringing him up.

So I tracked down some video of him playing last year against a very strong TCU team QB'd by Andy Dalton.

Sorry, didn't see this before I posted.

Edited by Faustus

Miles Burris.

From SDSU, this kid is prime.

Sorry to have posted no information but his name before.

I have a couple of good friends who go to SDSU and for the last couple of years have been raving about this linebacker there, Miles Burris.

Burris pic: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~cba/news-online/11-Sept/Burris.jpg

Burris is a linebacker from California (6-2, 245) who played for SDSU.

As a junior, Burris was named to the all-MWC first team while also being the Mountain West's sack and tackles-for-a-loss leader (2010). He recorded team-leading totals in tackles (80), tackles for a loss (20) and sacks (9.5).

Leading into the 2011 campaign in what was his senior year, Burris was the fourth Aztec to be named to the preseason Lombardi Watch list which includes current Bills' linebacker, Kirk Morrison (2003 and 2004).

As an FYI, the annual Rotary Lombardi Award honors the top lineman in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Eligibility for the award is limited to down linemen, end-to-end, either on offense or defense, who set up no farther than 10 yards to the left or right of the ball, or linebackers who set up no farther than five yards deep from the line of scrimmage.

On to 2011: Burris was once again selected to the All-Mountain West Conference First Team for a second straight year (voters include the eight head coaches and a select media panel). He is the first Aztec to do so since, you guessed it, Kirk Morrison (2002-2004).

The senior leads the Aztecs in tackles (72), tackles for loss (19.0), sacks (8.0) and fumble recoveries (3). He ranks eighth in the country in tackles for a loss (1.58/g), tied for 19th in fumble recoveries (0.25/g) and tied for 32nd in sacks (0.67/g). Burris has at least 0.5 tackles for a loss in 18 of the past 19 games. - San Diego State football

Misc. points: he was captain of the Aztecs his senior year, he is a four-time MWC all-academic honoree and was the SDSU student-athlete of the year in 2010 and 2011.

The kid is bright, he's fast, explosive and physical.

For the YouTube lovers, I have a link below to some highlights.

youtube.com/watch?v=RtlONCH8jPA

ENJOY TWO BILLS DRIVE!

P.S. Note all his reverse stops! I feel like the Bills got killed on many reverses in 2010 and 2011, this kids got it down.

Guys like that you just pick, but not too high, and train and hope.

Well I realize the video clip you linked were his highlights so they might misrepresent a bit how good the kid is.

The video shows all his plays in the game (good and bad) and you can tell he's improved quite a bit as a player between now and then.

I'd like to track down more video of the guy but he looks like he could be a special player.

youtube.com/watch?v=LSNwGJXdohY

Right.

Obviously he has a large room for improvement, but he has shown a great deal of playmaking ability, dedication and nose for the football and seems to never give up on plays.

There's a reason why he is not a round 1-4 type of player, but anyone in the later rounds can surprise in the NFL.

[/url]

Kidding right? This was a very impressive video. Incredible football instincts.. Thanks for the post.

Yeah, the kid's highlight package was pretty interesting (he seems to have good movement skills--albeit against the New Mexico's and UNLVs of the world).

Then again, so was

:bag:

(edit: Here's the guy I'd like to see us remember for the Round 2 pick--he won't last to the 3rd after his combine performance)

Edited by Lurker

I'm a little wary of judging a guy based on his best highlights. I wish I could be judged by my best moments. I'm really jk. I still dunno anything about the guy and I'm not going to pretend to.

I recently visited a former plantation outside of Jacksonville. One of the artifacts was a inventory sheet with the current names and descriptions of slaves. "Prime" was used to describe male slaves in top condition. Screwed up, eh. Just thought I'd share.

Would you have felt more comfortable if the plantation owner had referred to them as 'All-Pros'?

Agreed with everything you said. If we added him to our already stacked pass rush hopefully he'd be there 4th or 5th. He reminds me of a better and faster Matt Roth who was a hawkeye then dolphin

youtube.com/watch?v=LSNwGJXdohY

Im inclined to agree. Remember, Bryce Paup was a 6th round pick from a small school.

It's great to have extra late round picks imo. True, they have less time to prove themselves, but once in a while you can stumble into a gem. :thumbsup:

Very Impressive video, his speed and instincts look great!!!

never hurts to point up a potential player, thanks

Of course! Hoping the kid can make a good transition to the pros.

Not like it is terribly impressive, but after completing a drill that went great during his pro day, Burris did a standing backflip which drew the loudest cheers from the SDSU pro day.