i WOULD NOT! pass on Trent Richardson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible depth? Our only grinder RB is going to be 31 years old and needs an extension that will most likely pay him more so on past work than what he will provide in the future.

As I said in another thread today...

Well you can waste your time with a RB......RB's come in undrafted or in 7th round and produce like 1st rounders with good blocking. While I love your name and avatar I agree to disagree here. Cj has tons left and drafting Richardson would be undefensible. WR/OT etc we have needs

RB we have no need for sorry bro......Walter payton could be in draft and we could pass.

Don't care what no body say on this board about having Fred or that we have Spiller...

Saw the guy play in college....and he looked amazing in workouts....

Now you may blast me....

The idea is even worse then your grammer!

The NFL’s transformation into a passing league has hit running backs hard, both on draft day (the first running off the board went 28th in last year’s first round) and in free agency (veteran running backs haven’t found much of a market for their services this year). But with the NFL draft a month away, Alabama running back Trent Richardson has so much talent that he appears poised to buck the trend of running backs being devalued.

A couple of weeks ago we passed along comments from NFL Network’s Mike Mayock suggesting that Richardson might slip out of the Top 10 because of the low value so many teams place on running backs. But with more time to study the tape, Mayock now says Richardson is simply too talented for more than five or six teams to pass on him

“Boy was I wrong,” Mayock said of suggesting Richardson might get out of the Top 10. “He’s going in the Top 10. Let’s face it, if the two quarterbacks [Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III] go 1-2, and the Vikings are not in the market for a tailback at No. 3 because of Adrian Peterson, this kid is going 4, 5 or 6. He’s the best tailback I’ve seen come out since the aforementioned Adrian Peterson. He brings toughness, he brings speed, he brings pass protection.”

Mayock said that if the Browns pass on Richardson at No. 4, he can’t see why the Bucs would pass on him at No. 5. Mayock said Richardson running behind the Buccaneers’ offensive line in Greg Schiano’s offense could have a big impact as a rookie.

“Trent Richardson might be the best position player in this draft,” Mayock said. “I watched 150 of his carries today. I watched every catch he made on tape today. . . . I watched every pass protection I could find in about a 10-game span, and he might be the best pass-protecting running back in this draft also. So when you talk about toughness and perhaps the best positional player in the entire draft, I think if he is available at No. 5, with that offensive line, they’ve got to pull the trigger.”

This- I don't think Richardson will drop to ten but if he does I'm fielding offers - after Kali none of the OTs excite me, none of the DEs, I think the WRs are a fairly good group but I think there will be WRs taken in the second and third rounds who will be as good a a WR who goes 10th overall, DTs are very strong but the Bills have a traffic Jam there already,

I have my own board of most favorite to least favorite draft options

Claiborne drops , Blackmon drops , Richardson drops Trade down, Tannehill drops trade down, Richardson drops grab, Brockers , Floyd , Gilmore , Kuechly , Glenn, Martin, Rieff

Well you can waste your time with a RB......RB's come in undrafted or in 7th round and produce like 1st rounders with good blocking. While I love your name and avatar I agree to disagree here. Cj has tons left and drafting Richardson would be undefensible. WR/OT etc we have needs

RB we have no need for sorry bro......Walter payton could be in draft and we could pass.

I fully agree that we have much bigger needs. I also agree that you can find RBs anywhere in, and even after, the draft.

I was just commenting on our current depth and situation. Yes, right now at this moment, we do have some RB depth. But it is not set to last very long.

I'm not trying to argue that we should draft Richardson. Just providing some perspective on what the Bills might be thinking if they did.

The FO has worked hard to sign Free Agents, and many experts report we are set enough to go BPA through the entire draft. If Richardson is as good as everyone thinks, you take him. Regardless of need and current depth. Other players can be traded.

And if Walter Payton is there and Buddy passes on him, that is a fireable offense! :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

When we drafted Spiller everyone thought it was the worst pick and cried for like two years and called Spiller a bust. So what irrational fans think don't bother me.

We can reach and draft a OT.... Especially if Reiff isn't avaialble....and we still have Bell on a string....

This is a WR heavy draft like EVERYONE has said.... plus we have easley,Aiken and two 4th round picks

now some miracle happens and like Tannahil (or however you spell his name) goes early in the top ten, or some team trades up for reiff or floyd it can shift the draft, or some team just takes a guy they like

So are telling me you'd pass on Richardson for Mike Adams , or Martin? Or Upshaw?

He is a special,special player everyone that has watched him play on game day,practice,and workout, all calls him special....but if the thought of drafting a special player offends soo many people blows my mind....

He is a 1tier player you find away to make it work,After Spiller, we have 31 year old RB god knows love what he has done for us but what if he doesn't come back as strong?, then we have Choice and then White ..... nuff said

Edited by EldaBillsFan

Not that this would ever happen but im not that impressed with Trent Richardson at all. If he was Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson I still doubt that he would get drafted on this team at this time. Heck I think Mark Ingram was actually a better NFL prospect than this guy and he didnt exactly set the league on fire last year. Richardson is my pick to drop like a rock on draft day. I actually think that his drop on draft day will actually end up costing the Bills Floyd based on the mocks that Ive been seeing. I think we shock the world and Gailey chops it up with his GT connections and we take Stephen Hill

When we drafted Spiller everyone thought it was the worst pick and cried for like two years and called Spiller a bust. So what irrational fans think don't bother me.

We can reach and draft a OT.... Especially if Reiff isn't avaialble....and we still have Bell on a string....

This is a WR heavy draft like EVERYONE has said.... plus we have easley,Aiken and two 4th round picks

now some miracle happens and like Tannahil (or however you spell his name) goes early in the top ten, or some team trades up for reiff or floyd it can shift the draft, or some team just takes a guy they like

So are telling me you'd pass on Richardson for Mike Adams , or Martin? Or Upshaw?

He is a special,special player everyone that has watched him play on game day,practice,and workout, all calls him special....but if the thought of drafting a special player offends soo many people blows my mind....

He is a 1tier player you find away to make it work,After Spiller, we have 31 year old RB god knows love what he has done for us but what if he doesn't come back as strong?, then we have Choice and then White ..... nuff said

Most cried not about being a bust, but in fact that had so many other needs, and was a luxury pick. If team is set, then can see taking a flyer on a talent in position like that, but at time we had a pretty darn good set of backs, and had to dump one to make room for him.

Has nothing to do with talent, more on fact that were players that were in positions of need that were rated as high as Spiller by most. Have really high regard for Richardson, and think he will be way better talent than Spiller, but without a well rounded team will be like the Bills of the simpson era, great back, losing team.

Not that it is everything but he did run JUST under a 4.6. So much for his AMAZING workout.

LOL!!!!!

The guy is the next Adrian Peterson as far as future is projected. Absolutely awesome! You should never pass on his kind of talent no matter where it is in the draft.

However there is a few things

1. I've never been a fan of taking RBs too early in the draft. (I do think he would be worth it though)

2. We have a bottleneck at RB going into this season so it's a bad idea.

3. Point for the pick would be that I don't think Fred has more than 3 years in him and Richardson and CJ would be absolutely dominant for years to come. And just like CBs and LBs, you can never have too many good RBs.

You can absolutely have too much talent at RB--at least if you used first round picks to acquire that talent!

Over the last 40 years, the Bills have used 10 of their first picks of the draft on RBs, and another 10 on DBs. That's 50% of their first picks of the draft on RBs + DBs! :angry: None were used on QBs, and only two on OTs.

The absolute last thing this team should consider is yet another first round RB! :angry: There are any number of reasons why this is the case:

1. If Trent Richardson truly is a top-3 talent--as some here are claiming--then let someone else take him in the top 3. If he falls to 10, then that means that teams 4 - 9 saw something in him they didn't like. If that's the case, why not make it teams 4 - 10? It's not as though the Bills have this gaping hole at RB that teams 4 - 9 don't have.

2. Fred Jackson may be nearing the end of his useful career. Part of the reason for that is because RBs' careers tend to be very short. So why use the 10th overall pick to take a RB, now, when it'll be a few years before any hole appears at the position? Why waste a few years of what's already going to be a short career?

3. The Bills already have a first round talent at RB in the form of Spiller. Is it really, truly necessary to have two first round talents at RB?

4. Is it necessary for the Bills to eschew a long term answer at some critical position--such as CB or LT--in order to have a still more crowded backfield? :huh:

5. Why on earth would the Bills even be thinking about the running back position when they have actual holes at far more important positions?

I would rather the Bills take a punter at 10th overall than a running back! :angry: At least with a punter you know he's not going to live up to his draft position. Better that than a few years of false hope, followed by the sad realization that the front office had squandered yet another first round pick.

You can absolutely have too much talent at RB--at least if you used first round picks to acquire that talent!

Over the last 40 years, the Bills have used 10 of their first picks of the draft on RBs, and another 10 on DBs. That's 50% of their first picks of the draft on RBs + DBs! :angry: None were used on QBs, and only two on OTs.

The absolute last thing this team should consider is yet another first round RB! :angry: There are any number of reasons why this is the case:

1. If Trent Richardson truly is a top-3 talent--as some here are claiming--then let someone else take him in the top 3. If he falls to 10, then that means that teams 4 - 9 saw something in him they didn't like. If that's the case, why not make it teams 4 - 10? It's not as though the Bills have this gaping hole at RB that teams 4 - 9 don't have.

2. Fred Jackson may be nearing the end of his useful career. Part of the reason for that is because RBs' careers tend to be very short. So why use the 10th overall pick to take a RB, now, when it'll be a few years before any hole appears at the position? Why waste a few years of what's already going to be a short career?

3. The Bills already have a first round talent at RB in the form of Spiller. Is it really, truly necessary to have two first round talents at RB?

4. Is it necessary for the Bills to eschew a long term answer at some critical position--such as CB or LT--in order to have a still more crowded backfield? :huh:

5. Why on earth would the Bills even be thinking about the running back position when they have actual holes at far more important positions?

I would rather the Bills take a punter at 10th overall than a running back! :angry: At least with a punter you know he's not going to live up to his draft position. Better that than a few years of false hope, followed by the sad realization that the front office had squandered yet another first round pick.

Your whole logic is fool.... start with yout first comment

1. Aaron Rogers....need I say more?

2. RB who carry a heavy work load and are not as physically conditioned ... steph jackson is a prime example of a well conditioned RB .... and Rb last even long as a one two punch

3.get off the RB thing he is a game changing athlete on offense ...go watch the tapes...he will move the chains that helps the offense and the defense

4. You still have a 2nd, a 3rd and two 4ths ...and young talent from last year at those positions

5. Already been discussed .....

Not that it is everything but he did run JUST under a 4.6. So much for his AMAZING workout.

LOL!!!!!

False... He just ran a 4.43 .... clocked an unofficial 4.39.... and well noted he runs just as fast in pads....

I could live with this. A few thoughts:

1. He gives us a power back for a complete trio of RBs

2. Elite talent - You want good football players

3. The Saints use 4 RBs & The Giants used 3. Both teams won.

4, Nasty formations out of the backfield & all 3 can catch (split out)

5. Richardson complements Spiller better in 2 back sets; put in a fresh FJ in for single back sets.

You would pass on a Walter Payton type (one of the top 5 RB's to have ever played the game) because we already have Jackson and Spiller?! Some of you guys are so committed to your anti-RB and anti-BPA policies that you start sounding foolish.

I'm sorry, but the RB position is still very important. You can't just plug in any Average Joe RB behind "good blocking" and expect no significant drop off in production. If that were the case, why not trade both Jackson and Spiller for picks and go with the unstoppable two-headed monster of Tashard Choice and Johnny White? Anyone want to advocate for that? If not, then you are admitting that RB talent matters.

I do agree with the sentiment that this franchise has wasted too many high-round picks on the RB position in recent years. Very much so, in fact. But that's only because the guys we've chosen (Lynch, McGahee, Henry) didn't really have elite talent, and their character problems necessitated their early exiles from Buffalo. If Richardson is going to be more like an OJ Simpson or a Thurman Thomas than an Antowain Smith or a Ronnie Harmon, then you make him your pick regardless of the RB talent already there.

Going a bit beyond the RB position, I'd say the same for DeCastro at guard or Kuechly at linebacker. The Bills could do (and frequently have done) a lot worse with their first round picks than crowd "lesser" roster positions with guys who will regularly make the Pro Bowl.

Don't care what no body say on this board about having Fred or that we have Spiller...

Now you may blast me....

If we could trade Fred or Spiller for some picks or playmakers it wouldn't be a bad move and would an improvement at the position.

Now you may blast me....

:lol: Good one.

How fast were Peterson and Richardson respectively? Adrian Peterson isn't Adrian Peterson without his speed. That is what made him special. Plenty of guys are that big. Almost none were that fast.

Adrian Peterson flattening would be tacklers is what made Adrian Peterson special. The dude hits like a freight train.

Now you may blast me....

Is it possible to type on your computer and make love to your Trent Richardson poster at the same time?