Nix hints it'll be a tackle

Lothar

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the terms of the offer to Bell?

Don't know. He doesn't seem to have any decent offers yet, otherwise he would have signed. He's visiting the Pack this week, he could sign there, although they are not likely to offer him a lot of money and there is some uncertainty as to who the Pack plan to play there this year between Clifton and Bulaga (who may switch over) and Marshall Newhouse or Derek Sherrod.

How i took it was 3 starters in round 1.

That would be great!

Depth at line is not something you acquire in the first two rounds. A starter is what you draft. Depth is 3rd and 4th, with free agency. 5th and 6th are projects.

It depends on what team you're talking about. With the 10th pick on a rebuilding team, I sure would hope for a starter. On a championship caliber team, the first rounders often don't start. Hopefully we get to that point real soon.

To me, he didn't mean that it was a possibility that he would take a LT with both the 1st and the 2nd round picks at all. And I would highly doubt it. He's a crafty old coot though and it's possible, just highly unlikely. I think he just meant there are a couple guys you could get in the first round that could start, there are a couple guys in the 2nd or 3rd that could start in a year, and we will take one player from that group of high picks or "top tackles" as he called them... and then we will take a project tackle with a lower pick.

Interesting that Chris Brown titled the blog post "Will Bills draft more than 1 OT?"

What are the terms of the offer to Bell?

No one knows thought there's been speculation that it is based upon the veteran minimum for a 5th year player… $635,000 for one year.

BTW, Bell is visiting the Packers this week. The Pack is nervous about the age and status of Chad Clifton and possibly don't necessarily view Bulaga as a candidate for the left side.

Nix believes there are two or three offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects. Whats interesting is the Bills GM may it sound as if the club may take a second tackle in the draft even if they take one early.

Thanks for the info! Two that they believe in would be A-OK with me. I just wonder...this looks to be year 3 of a 3 year plan...I wouldn't be surprised to see Nix wheel & deal a bit on draft day(s).

No one knows thought there's been speculation that it is based upon the veteran minimum for a 5th year player… $635,000 for one year.

If that's the case no wonder he's still looking around. I was under the impression it was 2 yrs/$4.5 mill kind of thing. Vet min for 1 yr would also support they view him as just another body with no claim on the starting role, resigning him before draft could therefore have little influence on how we pick.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Makes sense. If he can't cut it at OT, they can likely slide him inside to OG...

You're gonna get DeCastrated…

This is what I've been trying to say for a few weeks now.

Buddy even said it.

Draft tackles. Worst case they become guards.

He even said in the Chris Brown blog post that spawned this thread: the team is set in the interior offensive line.

Unless he's blowing major smoke which would be a first… I don't put deception above Nix but it would be a first.

Even though I'd like us to go with a wideout here, I get the impression Nix is thinking about picking up a couple tackles, including a first rounder.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/26/will-bills-draft-more-than-1-ot/

“Depth at tackle is problem,” said Nix. ”We’ve got depth inside. We’ve got guards and centers that can play in there. Last year we lost two left tackles and Levitre moved out there and he did a commendable job, but we’ve got to have at least one top tackle in the draft and another guy that we can develop.”

Nix believes there are “two or three” offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects. What’s interesting is the Bills GM may it sound as if the club may take a second tackle in the draft even if they take one early.

He has had the same message all along. The only people that dont see it are the guys really wanting a wr. I think it is the right call. We can get great value at wr in round 2 and 3

Even though I'd like us to go with a wideout here, I get the impression Nix is thinking about picking up a couple tackles, including a first rounder.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/26/will-bills-draft-more-than-1-ot/

“Depth at tackle is problem,” said Nix. ”We’ve got depth inside. We’ve got guards and centers that can play in there. Last year we lost two left tackles and Levitre moved out there and he did a commendable job, but we’ve got to have at least one top tackle in the draft and another guy that we can develop.”

Nix believes there are “two or three” offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects. What’s interesting is the Bills GM may it sound as if the club may take a second tackle in the draft even if they take one early.

Smoke Screen!

He knows the drop off after Floyd is great and doesn't want teams to think he wants Floyd where as the depth at LT is greater.

They don't call him Buddy Smoke Screen Nix for nothing.

:ph34r:

The more I think about this (and despite what my mock says), the more I think the pick is going to be Cordy Glenn, the OT/OG out of Georgia.

He fits the Nix/Gailey mold perfectly...tough, versatile and durable. He's absolutely mammoth and (to make the Reiff detractors happy) has one of biggest wingspans in the Draft. A lot of people project him at Guard in the NFL but I think Nix looks at him as a guy who fights with Hairston over the LT in camp. I think the Bills then draft a developmental OT like Massie in the 3rd round to further solidify the O-Line. The Glenn selection also acts as insurance in case Levitre leaves next offseason, you slide Glenn over to Guard and hope by that time either Hairston or (insert developmental LT here) will be ready to step in.

If Nix hints it will be a tackle at 10, it won't be.

Actually, Nix and co have been extremely straight forward in the guys they have liked. Spiller was the 'water bug'. The Bills openly commented on how much they liked Shep and Hairston. Nix openly commented on how much he liked C Newton and V Miller was even photographed wearing a Bills hat at the Sr Bowl.

He said he would be asleep at midnight last offseason and he was. He said we would be big players going after a difference maker, and he had a plane waiting M Williams at 3:59.

He is a straight shooter. If he is leaning tackle, he will take one if there is a good one.

I also expect it to be a guy with the prototypical size of a LT. Nix seems to prefer guys like that.

Edited by peterpan

Actually, Nix and co have been extremely straight forward in the guys they have liked. Spiller was the 'water bug'. The Bills openly commented on how much they liked Shep and Hairston. Nix openly commented on how much he liked C Newton and V Miller was even photographed wearing a Bills hat at the Sr Bowl.

He said he would be asleep at midnight last offseason and he was. He said we would be big players going after a difference maker, and he had a plane waiting M Williams at 3:59.

He is a straight shooter. If he is leaning tackle, he will take one if there is a good one.

This link contradicts what you said.

Oh, wait a minute... :wallbash:

He said “We’ve got some guys that would hopefully be second or third round guys that we think in one year can be a starter for you,” said Nix. ’It’s not bad for tackles.”

which means he will be looker tackle but may not be in the first.....^^^^i dont know if you didnt read the whole article but it sounded more like we will be going tackle in rounds 2 or 3

That pretty much says no LT in our 1st round, likely a WR or CB then.