Not a Good Showing for Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Owen

Today was pro day at Stanford and OT Jonathan Martin I feel did not have a good showing...

OT Jonathan Martin did 20 reps @ 225 on the bench, ran a 5.33 forty-time, and had a 4.76 short-shuttle time

It would have been better if he did nearer 30 reps and ran close to 5.0 ...

For Buddy Nix to draft Martin at #10 now would be taking a big chance... too risky a pick

This is not to say he would not take him if the Bills move down in the draft...

I would be more apt to say if Buddy goes with a OT at #10 he goes with Cordy Glenn... Glenn is very impressive

OT Riley Rieff will be a very good Guard.. With his short reach he will not be as affective at OT...

Bills may decide to now look at WR Floyd, and a future All Pro Guard in DeCastro...Not a CB in round one.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I think its increasingly coming down to floyd, kuechly, and thats it, unless someone we don't think will fall falls. I never liked martin especially after watching tape. Kalil is incredible but we don't have a chance in hell at him. It would be nice to literally have a franchise left tackle for 12 years though but no thanks to martin.

these second tier tackles dont seem to want to seperate themselves from the pack very well. i wouldnt be totally shocked to see a lot of the tackles slide further than we expect, and maybe sneak into the top few picks of the second round.

i think right now there might be an element of "but they are LTs so they have to go high" happening in the mocks but come april you might see them fall 10-20 picks further than a lot of people are slotting them today.

Martin's showing is problematic for the BILLS...I agree with that poor performance, Martin should be scratched from consideration in the top 15, but Glenn is a Guard and DiCastro is a Guard and Nix went on record saying he would Draft a Tackle as it's easier to convert Tackles to Guards than the reverse....as for Floyd, I'm not a fan of drafting a WR so high, but it may come down to necessity meeting opportunity....a value at 10 may be WR if other LT players are exhausted at that value point and now we know DE is legitimately out of the picture, as it was Nix said he didn't think DE was in the elite category this year but deep and evidenced by his opinion are two FA DE signings, and I don't see Nix spending a high pick on a LB, IMO...that means WR or CB is most likely the choice and we CAN'T say CB is out of the running considering this team needs another good CB and the value may very well be there....this team needs another good to great 2nd WR on the outside with speed which is why it probably vaults that position to the 10 spot since Claiborne will most likely be gone, but if not, I wouldn't be shocked to see the BILLS jump on that value pick....

Today was pro day at Stanford and OT Jonathan Martin I feel did not have a good showing...

OT Jonathan Martin did 20 reps @ 225 on the bench, ran a 5.33 forty-time, and had a 4.76 short-shuttle time

For Buddy Nix to draft Martin at #10 now would be taking a big chance... too risky a pick

I would be more apt to say if Buddy goes with a OT at #10 he goes with Cordy Glenn... Glenn is very impressive

OT Riley Rieff will be a very good Guard.. With his short reach he will not be as affective at OT...

Bills may decide to now look at WR Floyd, and a future All Pro Guard in DeCastro...Not a CB in round one.

Amen brother i'll second that !!! Beer thirty about 5 in ..

We should make red beer ( Hot sauce , beer & clamato :worthy: ) the official drink of the B Bills !!! how bout it ???

Edited by T master

What are your thoughts on him now?

They havent changed at all until I see a bunch more information on him and the day. The knocks on him from everywhere as far as I have seen are that he needs to build some strength and that he doesn't have a lot of speed to get to the second level in run blocks. He's supposed to be very quick off the ball though and very fast into his stance, that is what is important to me as far as speed goes. It's great if a guy can get downfield on run plays but it's the least of my concerns right off the bat for an LT.

Power is also very important, though, and 20 reps is not strong at all. But I didnt expect him at all to suddenly acquire super strength, and it's not that much different from other top prospects. He's got the size, smarts, ability and nastiness. I've seen him play. It's just a matter of whether our scouts think he has the ability to excel, handle the competition in the NFL, capacity to learn, frame to get bigger and stronger, and desire to be the best. None of those things can be measured at a pro day, and the only thing I have read so far was that he "impressed".

Saw that...Pretty disappointing...I doubt Martin goes Top 20 now...He's gonna slide...Though most Scouts admit he's got a lot to do in the strength area...And he was a MUCH better Pass blocker than a Run blocker in College...Martin's obviously real smart and he may be the type of Kid that needs a couple years before he's ready to be a starting LT in the NFL...

If I was a gambling man, which I am not, I would put my money on Floyd or a trade down. The talk about Buddy and his preference for Southern state players is just that, talk. He'll pick the best player to improve the squad. IMHO, that's Floyd at #10.

Seems like every year there are at least 2 top tier tackles in the draft except for the year we finally take care of other key positions and finally are willing and able to draft tackle with the first pick. At this point I say let's either get Bell back or have one of our recruiting players talk to Marcus McNeill just for at least 1 year.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Seems like every year there are at least 2 top tier tackles in the draft except for the year we finally take care of other key positions and finally are willing and able to draft tackle with the first pick. At this point I say let's either get Bell back or have one of our recruiting players talk to Marcus McNeill just for at least 1 year.

Bell might not want to come back, though. McNeill isn't a very healthy guy. Any guy they draft will likely need at least a season of development. I think they will draft an LT in the 2nd or 3rd, and develop him for the future, but not expect him to start this season.

Bell might not want to come back, though. McNeill isn't a very healthy guy. Any guy they draft will likely need at least a season of development. I think they will draft an LT in the 2nd or 3rd, and develop him for the future, but not expect him to start this season.

Which is why I'd take a injury prone McNeill right about now.

Too bad for Martin:

As impressive as DeCastro was, former linemate Jonathan Martin was disappointing.

Advertised as a top-notch athlete, the First Team All-Pac 12 left tackle was timed at 5.33 seconds in his first attempt at the 40-yard dash. Worse, this attempt was aided by the wind. Martin came in at 5.43 seconds, according to scouts, on his second attempt against the wind. Perhaps more alarming was that the 6-5, 307-pound Martin lifted the bar only 20 times during the bench press and wasn't as fluid or explosive as DeCastro during position drills.

Martin was also just average in the vertical (30") and broad jump (8'8") - at least in comparison to how other highly regarded offensive tackles performed at the Combine. While Martin's disappointing Pro Day will no doubt raise some concerns, three impressive years protecting Luck's blind side speaks for itself and will almost surely keep the big man in the draft's initial frame.

Which is why I'd take a injury prone McNeill right about now.

I don't know that he would like to come here either. I think Bell's injuries are the reason Bell wasn't offered big money by the Bills (or apparently any other team) more so than his play. I have heard things like McNeill wanting to retire (I listen to a bit of San Diego sports talk radio). I think Bell is a little better option.

I don't have a solution for the Bills LT problems...