Left tackles

This is a good question.

Paging Astro . . .!

What LT prospects are out there past round one?

I hope we don't take Adams, who'd be the next available LT if J-ville takes Reiff at #7. We'd be over-reaching for him, and really over-reaching for Martin, who we have going #19 to Chicago (Martin is a good run-blocker but he'll need coaching for his footwork, in pass protection). Floyd is right there for the taking at #10.

Who's there in later rounds? I think the Bills will wait until RD3 or 4 and take Tony Bergstrom at #74 or Nate Potter at RD4#105.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way Adams makes it to our 2nd-round pick.

It's a very small percentage but there IS a slight chance Adams makes it to the 2nd round. Will he make 9 picks in the 2nd round where we pick? I doubt it.

Evwryone seems to talk about Reiff, Martin, Adams and Glenn. If we take Floyd or another position at 10, do any of you draftniks know who could be a decent option in the 2nd or 3rd round?

I like -

Andrew Datko - projected to go in rounds 2-3

Jeff Allen - projected to go in rounds 3-4

James Brown - projected to go in round 4

Lamar Holmes - projected to go in rounds 5-6 and

Tom Compton - projected to go in round 5

It's a very small percentage but there IS a slight chance Adams makes it to the 2nd round. Will he make 9 picks in the 2nd round where we pick? I doubt it.

I like -

Andrew Datko - projected to go in rounds 2-3

Jeff Allen - projected to go in rounds 3-4

James Brown - projected to go in round 4

Lamar Holmes - projected to go in rounds 5-6 and

Tom Compton - projected to go in round 5

Some of these are more likely RT's in the NFL, though. Datko's falling fast. Look here in Column 1. The number in parentheses is the slot at which we think he'll be taken. BTW, the one climbing up is Brandon Mosley.

How's it working for the Fins and Browns? And to contrast, what rounds were the Saints, Steelers, Giants LTs drafted in?

I think that there are other factors in play there other than LTs. For, example, the Saints, Steelers and Giants all have very good

or better QBs and the Browns and Fins don't.

I don't think that anyone is saying that having a great LT alone automatically makes a great team. Having a good LT can enhance

your offense by helping the run game and providing better pass protection for your QB. Having a poor LT hurts your offense

because your QB has less time to throw, defenses don't have to honor the deep part of the field as much (since QB has less time),

this allows defense to crowd the line causing problems for the run game and short passing game.

Is everyone truly comfortable going into next season with a 3rd or 4th round LT?

It's not a great draft for LTs, aside from Kalil they all need work or have question marks. Reaching for a need gets you a Maybin.

This is a great topic and needs to be looked at. When you compare one of them against a player of another positional need at the 10 spot, it doesn't bode well for the LT at #10, even though we need it. We can't whiff at 10.

I think that there are other factors in play there other than LTs. For, example, the Saints, Steelers and Giants all have very good

or better QBs and the Browns and Fins don't.

I don't think that anyone is saying that having a great LT alone automatically makes a great team. Having a good LT can enhance

your offense by helping the run game and providing better pass protection for your QB. Having a poor LT hurts your offense

because your QB has less time to throw, defenses don't have to honor the deep part of the field as much (since QB has less time),

this allows defense to crowd the line causing problems for the run game and short passing game.

Also can play on psychy of your QB. If QB doesnt have confidence in the LT, he tends to get happy feet or throw early and/or erratic often.

Is everyone truly comfortable going into next season with a 3rd or 4th round LT?

Not a rookie one.

a lot of guys here like Floyd. I do to. But his speed will be negated by the fact that Fitz has 2-3seconds to throw the ball. IMHO...but what the heck, highlight videos of WR are more fun then those of LOT.

Buddy has repeatedly said he likes this years tackle talent. As anyone even heard him comment on Floyd? Did he attend their Pro Day?

Would it be crazy to consider DeCastro @ #10? He may be the best player on the board at that point. Can possibly back up at center and start with Levitre at G. Gives us great depth and a plug an play guy for 10 years. I watched him at the combine and he is far and away the most impressive O lineman. You can tell he has a nasty streak as well.

No. Five things could happen, though.

(1) Bell could re-sign and remain healthy for the second time in 5 seasons. (35% chance)

(2) Reiff (a RT most of his career) could slide to the Bills, and he or Hairston becomes a good LT (50%)

(3) Bills could move up and take Kalil. (5%)

(4) Bills could draft David DeCastro and move existing Guard Pears or Levitre to tackle. (5%)

(5) Bills could draft a 3rd or 4th round LT who makes good because of the line chemistry. (65%)

With all of the defensive pickups in free agency I would like to see the bills take a crack at TWO left tackles in the draft......

:thumbsup:

(1) Bell could re-sign and remain healthy for the second time in 5 seasons. (35% chance)

(2) Reiff (a RT most of his career) could slide to the Bills, and he or Hairston becomes a good LT (50%)

(4) Bills could draft David DeCastro and move existing Guard Pears or Levitre to tackle. (5%)

(5) Bills could draft a 3rd or 4th round LT who makes good because of the line chemistry. (65%)

(6) Bills could draft Jonathan Martin

Edited by NickelCity

My vote is for #1 & #5 to happen, but will settle for #5...

Please don't mention Datko and Zebrie Sanders as possible Left Tackle selections. I am a huge Florida State fan and while Datko and Sanders are really athletic kids(which is why they are thought highly of)these two are sooooooo overrated its not even funny. The offensive line was the weak link of FSU's team this year by far and I know Datko was injured all year but it was still bad the year before when he played. Sanders measures and looks like a prototypical Left Tackle in the NFL but he can't run block to save his life and neither can Datko. Sanders is also a holding machine and constantly gets beat by speed rushers and it shows on tape and he didn't nothing to remedy that when he participated at the Senior Bowl. Datko has been injured pretty much his whole career and if you want an underachieving injury prone left tackle then by all means take him. Like I said, huge Florida State fan and have seen these guys for quite awhile and even I with all my bias wouldn't touch Sanders until the 4th round and Datko until the 5th.

Please don't mention Datko and Zebrie Sanders as possible Left Tackle selections. I am a huge Florida State fan and while Datko and Sanders are really athletic kids(which is why they are thought highly of)these two are sooooooo overrated its not even funny. The offensive line was the weak link of FSU's team this year by far and I know Datko was injured all year but it was still bad the year before when he played. Sanders measures and looks like a prototypical Left Tackle in the NFL but he can't run block to save his life and neither can Datko. Sanders is also a holding machine and constantly gets beat by speed rushers and it shows on tape and he didn't nothing to remedy that when he participated at the Senior Bowl. Datko has been injured pretty much his whole career and if you want an underachieving injury prone left tackle then by all means take him. Like I said, huge Florida State fan and have seen these guys for quite awhile and even I with all my bias wouldn't touch Sanders until the 4th round and Datko until the 5th.

You know your football, gonzo! I have both marked in red with "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" as the projected round! :lol:

I should add that on the team roster, there is only one LT listed--Hairston.

How's it working for the Fins and Browns? And to contrast, what rounds were the Saints, Steelers, Giants LTs drafted in?

Adding a franchise QB to your offense dramatically changes its complexion. The presence of a franchise QB is the most important reason why the Saints, Giants, and Steelers offenses are so effective. The lack of good QBs is why the Dolphins and Browns have had disappointing offenses.

However . . . once you have your franchise QB, there are only two things defenses can do to stop him. 1) Take away his time to throw. 2) Take away any targets to throw to. Getting a franchise LT makes it a lot tougher for defenses to accomplish the first of those two things. Getting a big play WR or TE makes it much harder for them to do the second.

Unfortunately, the Bills don't have a franchise QB, and won't have the opportunity to add one this draft. The plan should be to add one as soon as possible--ideally as quickly as next year--and in the meantime to prepare for his coming. That means the first round pick should probably come down to three choices.

1) LT

2) WR

3) CB. Yes, I know this third one doesn't really prepare for a QB's coming, but it would really help the defense.

I don't like the idea of the Bills using their first round pick on a LT, unless they trade up for Kalil. I don't think the second-best LT in the draft is worthy of going tenth overall. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, reaching for need gets you Maybin.

I'd be fine with a WR like Floyd, especially if the Bills felt he had the highest grade of available players when they picked. If they went WR in the first, they could go LT or CB in the second.

I'm not a fan of taking a LB at 10th overall for a number of reasons. They're not really used as pass rushers in Wannestadt's defense, which means their only real value on passing plays would be in pass coverage. I keep hearing how a LB could be used to cover TEs. But if a SS like Donte Whitner couldn't cover TEs--and he couldn't--then how is a LB supposed to cover them? If Gronkowski goes up against any LB it's a serious mismatch, and Brady should throw to him. No LB should ever be matched up one-on-one against him! TEs should be covered by safeties; and specifically by safeties with better coverage skills than Whitner.

TEs should be covered by safeties; and specifically by safeties with better coverage skills than Whitner.

Would you think the best safety in this draft, Mark Barro, could cover AFC East TE's, and would you like to see him in play at #10? Or is it better to hurry the passer with our new pass rushers, draft Floyd, and play ball control on offense to try and outscore them?