Who genuinely thinks they can scout college talent better than Nix?

OK...

> Spiller has NOT lived up to being a top 10 pick in any way. He is going into this THIRD season and is still a backup. So I was right about that.

> Fitz hasn't done anything. Look at the Bills record with him at quarterback. Look at his stats. I was right about that.

> Not sure the quote I made about Sanchez, but I don't think I ever called him a big game QB. Maybe I talked about how he came up big in big games (the Jets made it to the championship game his first two seasons). Can't really comment unless I know what I said.

> Newton had dreadful mechanics in college. He was a risky pick that looks like it's going to work out. I'll admit that I was wrong about him.

> Miller was tremendous in college. I made the mistake of over-analyzing how his size would limit his effectiveness, especially in Denver's scheme.

> Dareus has been exactly what I said. Very good, but it doesn't show on the stat sheet. 5.5 sacks. I was right there.

> Green has not reached his potential yet, but I believe I called him a future Pro Bowler. I was right about him.

> Peterson looks EXACTLY like what I called. Good, but not great. He made more impact in 2010 as a returner.

With the exception of Cam Newton and to a certain extent, Von Miller, I fail to see your point.

:lol: You have some Millen in you. :flirt:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is Marshall Lynch? You lost me at that.

This is a different regime and the CJ pick is looking good at this point, especially is Fred goes down again.

See above.

Kelly, great post. It feels great to trust to FO again doesn't it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The typo was supposed to be Marshawn Lynch. If you couldn't figure that out you are a lot like you dumb hero, Nix. You get lost VERY EASILY. LOL Did you ever listen to Nix speak???? Tell me he didn't drop out of school in the third grade!!

The typo was supposed to be Marshawn Lynch. If you couldn't figure that out you are a lot like you dumb hero, Nix. You get lost VERY EASILY. LOL Did you ever listen to Nix speak???? Tell me he didn't drop out of school in the third grade!!

Are schools off today??

No you can't. Try it. Name the players in this years draft that will be selected in the first four rounds and lets all see how you do with that. Last year Buddy selected Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, and Hairston in the first four rounds. The first three are going into their second years as starters. The fourth is a potential starter.

Go ahead big talker. Try it. If you do, I'll be watching who the Bills pick and begin a thread comparing the Bills' pick to yours. After the 2012 season, I'll revisit your selections, again compare them to Buddy's, and we'll all see how your picks stack up. Are you up for this Mathews' Bag?

Sure, no problem. Of course, as I explained, one draft isn't really isn't gonna be a fair sample. As far as guys becoming starters? Well, yeah, the team has to start SOMEONE, and you gotta work with the guys you pick, huh? All those picks could just as easily come from a magazines mock draft.

Nix graduated from Livingston University which is now the University of West Alabama and is smarter than you.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

i agree with the dissenters, but only a little.

this quote from earlier in the thread..

..unfortunately is true. under nix, not so much - but over the past 10 years, if we had any knowledgeable fan drafting, we'd probably have 3-4 more starters, 2 or 3 of which could have been all-pros (Ngata comes to mind specifically).

it sucks that we had so many busts with OBVIOUS studs staring us in the face, and you can't blame some fans for still being a little hesitant to trust the organization 100%. it's almost a slap in the face when you have guys like ngata and orakpo RIGHT THERE and you take little dipsh!ts like Whitner and Maybin instead. it's insulting. however, the 2011 looks spectacular and i trust Nix all the way. hope he knocks this one out of the park.

I also did NOT claim a better talent scout than Nix,, but that I could DRAFT as well. BIG DIFFERENCE. I would simply be using a a professional scouts magazine's "big board".

Who cares if the media does most of the work? I don't need to do all those things behind the scenes in order to form an educated opinion about a player's talent.

All I care about is determining whether players like Ryan Tannehill, Trent Richardson or Justin Blackmon are worth the hype they are getting.

Try doing these two things in your spare time:

1) Watch some games in college

2) Watch some actual game film (not highlights) of top prospects on websites like www.draftbreakdown.com and www.mainboard.com

The point is, there are a lot of regular football fans that know what they are talking about.

A lot of fans ON THIS BOARD were outraged when Buffalo took Donte Whitner instead of Haloti Ngata or Broderick Bunkley. A lot of fans ON THIS BOARD were dumfounded when Buffalo drafted Aaron Maybin instead of Brian Orakpo, Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing.

This was not hindsight. In all of these cases, the Bills would have been better off listening to a regular fan instead of their high-paid scouts.

Having said all of that can you answer the original question? Who thinks they can scout college better than Nix? I'm guessing your answer should be NO. Yes?

I was born and raised in Buffalo, but have lived in the South for almost 20 yrs. Don't let that accent fool you. It's almost an advantage for Nix to have people like you judge someone because he sounds like a hick. You get lulled into a false sense of superiority and BAM he gets you before you can figure it out. My guess is that Nix is better at scouting AND drafting than anyone on this board, you included.

Can we please just pay attention to the actual post and stop dwelling on the last decade of poor drafting...The OP is close to 100% on this...PLEASE take a look at the drafts from the past two years (plus the UDFA signings)...Out of 18 picks they have yielded 14 Active Players and a couple PSers, most notably Jasper. Of those 14 their are 6 starters (2 of which have stepped up and filled in due to injury, but contributed well). I'm not saying that their is a mass amount of talent, but between the key pieces that plugged in and the depth type guys, I'd say that the last 2 drafts have ben pretty damn good. This is highlighted by the fact that all 9 picks last year are on the team, only one of whom is on the PS, Plus, we've yet to see what Easley can actually do. I'd say that is the definition of a paradigm shift, eh?

The past 2 drafts have yielded plenty of guys on the roster, but few actual starters (guys starting on merit, not due to injured starters). This is on a team with many needs.

Didn't Jauron draft more of our opening day starters this year than Nix? Yes, he did. There was one Nix draftee in the starting lineup. DJ had 5.

At this point, a much more convincing argument can be made that Nix has, despite his (and your) mantra of "we're building through the draft", has had far more success in finding starters in FA, than in the draft.

Personally, I think I can scout college talent better than Nix.

I can also pilot the airplane better than the "captain", drive better than whoever is in the car in front of me (especially if that person doesn't have a Y chromosome), and coach any NFL team to more wins than Gailey.

But I'm kinda awesome at stuff.

The past 2 drafts have yielded plenty of guys on the roster, but few actual starters (guys starting on merit, not due to injured starters). This is on a team with many needs.

Didn't Jauron draft more of our opening day starters this year than Nix? Yes, he did. There was one Nix draftee in the starting lineup. DJ had 5.

At this point, a much more convincing argument can be made that Nix has, despite his (and your) mantra of "we're building through the draft", has had far more success in finding starters in FA, than in the draft.

i'm not at all sure what your point is. that jauron was better in the draft than nix because more guys started last year? jauron had 4 drafts with the bills, while as of opening day last year, nix had one group of sophomores and one group on rookies. how is that a fair point? not to mention - jauron had two colossal f'ups - whitner over ngata and maybin over orakpo.

sure, the 2010 class wasn't very good. however, the 1st 4 picks from last year are all potential starters. and i'd be okay with having spiller as our starting RB - we just have the luxury of having freddy.

Don't listen to all the haters of this post Kelly i agree with you 100%!!! People who say they can draft better than Nix are full of crap because all they do is look at like 100 mock drafts and base their decisions on that. Nix doesnt give 2 sh*ts about online mock drafts and does his scouting from his own board that he and his staff make themselves. And if those mock drafts were so accurate, especially the ones made by "professional" nfl.com analysts, than all of the players listed in the first round would all be high quality players/stars/superstars but there not. Do we forget that many of these mock drafts a few years back had Aaron Maybin consistently drafted in the first 20 picks of the 1st round and DE was considered a huge need by the Bills at the time so if someone were to just use these mock drafts, online scouting reports and player rankings, it would be logical for a lot of people who just read this crap online to have made that selection for the Bills...

People saying they can draft better than the CURRENT bills staff can get their heads out of their assses because if you could do such a better job you wouldnt be on this board giving merely your opinion of who the bills would draft, you would actually be getting payed a ton of money to be a GM in the NFL. But thats not the case is it?

You're just making it worse kiddo

I also did NOT claim a better talent scout than Nix,, but that I could DRAFT as well. BIG DIFFERENCE. I would simply be using a a professional scouts magazine's "big board".

Professional Scouts don't have magazines.

Wow!

Professional Scouts don't have magazines.

Wow!

Okay, then whoever is putting together the magazine boards will do. I'm pretty sure there are at least some magazines that are sourcing their information from professional scouts. For instance these guys http://ourlads.com/

I know, next you are gonna say "that's not a magazine! You said MAGAZINE!!!"

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Some of the draft guru big boards are well-researched and not that bad. Still, if these guys making these publications were so good, why wouldn't a team hire them?

Of course, some professional draftniks like Gil Brandt do have NFL experience. But Gil will tell you that he doesn't know college prospects as well now as he used to when he and his staff studied college players full time all year long.

I would trust Nix FAR MORE to run our draft than some fan following the big board out of some sports rag.

So what are these so called picks that you would have made in the last 2 drafts using the big board of people in the media? I want to see these so called draft picks that the media people would have picked instead of the players nix picked. otherwise, you are really just blowing smoke. especially if you use kipers big board for nix's first draft (and his first pick) then you would have taken clausen over spiller. the spiller pick might not be grand, but it is way better than drafting clausen.

The media folks are nowhere near as good as the real scouts/GMs for the most part. The only reason the media looked so savy compared to us before is because levy/don made too many silly picks.

but saying you can use the big board from the media types as enough info to make better draft picks than nix is just silly. Especially when the media folks disagree so much. The only thing they agree on is that andrew luck is the best prospect since elway, but other than that, they all disgree on everything else. So saying you can collectivly use contradicting reports to pinpoint a draft pick, and have better luck than someone who has seen hours of tape on these players, is bogus. complete bogus.

And do you know that most of these magazine/website types had Peterson rated higher than Dareus? It is true. So you using your big board plan, you would have taken peterson over dareus. how splendid is that? That would have just been terrible.

Thanks. My signature line was getting a little stale...

People saying they can draft better than the CURRENT bills staff can get their heads out of their assses because if you could do such a better job you wouldnt be on this board giving merely your opinion of who the bills would draft, you would actually be getting payed a ton of money to be a GM in the NFL. But thats not the case is it?

Just because I'm not currently the GM of the Bills (or any NFL team) doesn't mean I'm incapable of excelling at the job. In some ways you can point to the front office's inability to identify my limitless talents and BEG me to take the job is proof that they don't have a clue as to what they're doing.

i'm not at all sure what your point is. that jauron was better in the draft than nix because more guys started last year? jauron had 4 drafts with the bills, while as of opening day last year, nix had one group of sophomores and one group on rookies. how is that a fair point? not to mention - jauron had two colossal f'ups - whitner over ngata and maybin over orakpo.

sure, the 2010 class wasn't very good. however, the 1st 4 picks from last year are all potential starters. and i'd be okay with having spiller as our starting RB - we just have the luxury of having freddy.

Point was simply made. Jauron drafted starters, despite his reputation as a clown. So far, Buddy has drafted depth players. Maybe they will someday start--every draftee is a potential starter, no? Jauron's last draft yielded starters right off the bat, so it's a fair point.

Guys say that Buddy "had to start from scratch" and "blew up the roster". This is not true.

I was no fan of Whitner, but he wasn't quite the f-up that Maybin was. Troup (over Gronk) is looking like more of a f-up than Whitner.