Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

Zimmerman attorneys: Texts show Trayvon Martin 'hostile' day of shooting

By Steve Almasy, CNN

(CNN) -- Text messages sent from Trayvon Martin's cell phone the day he was killed show he had been arguing with someone on the phone and was "hostile," attorneys for George Zimmerman wrote in a recent court filing.

Zimmerman's lawyers argue the texts are relevant to the case, in which the unarmed teenager was fatally shot by the neighborhood watch volunteer during a confrontation in a Sanford, Florida, neighborhood in February 2012.

The texts speak to Martin's demeanor and emotional state, the Thursday filing said, and "may assist the jury in understanding why Trayvon Martin chose to hide then confront George Zimmerman rather than simply going home."

The filing said the texts were mostly with "Witness 8," and the messages showed Martin and the friend were "hostile and angry with each other at various points throughout the day."

Martin, 17, was talking on the phone with Witness 8 when he and Zimmerman met as Martin walked to the house of his father's fiancee after a trip to a nearby convenience store.

Also in the document, Zimmerman's attorneys say the court should also consider text messages sent before that day, because they establish Martin's marijuana use and fights he had been involved in.

"This (fighting) evidence is admissible in support of Mr. Zimmerman's self-defense claim regarding the abilities and capacity of Trayvon Martin as an experienced fighter," Zimmerman's attorneys wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/26/justice/florida-zimmerman-defense/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Edited by B-Man

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, Martin was "standing his ground" when he followed GZ back to his vehicle? Or was he "standing his ground" when he punched GZ in the nose, breaking it? Maybe Martin was "standing his ground" when he was smashing the back of GZ's head into the concrete?

From what info has been made public, it would appear that the prosecution has no case. I didn't come to this conclusion overnight. I was one of the several posters urging caution, believing that the facts needed to come out before figuratively lynching GZ. You were one of the hissy fitters claiming "cold blooded killing", "hunting poor Trayvon down with his Skittles and ice tea", "GZ outweighed poor Trayvon by 100#s", "coon", blah, blah, blah. Now you're all over the board stating that GZ should be charged with manslaughter and then claiming that we have to wait for the facts.

Hey, remember when BF-squared blamed THE ENTIRE TOWN and its 100-year history of racism for causing this incident?

Good times...

Hey, remember when BF-squared blamed THE ENTIRE TOWN and its 100-year history of racism for causing this incident?

Good times...

Yes, I think we discussed this earlier in this thread. A 100 years ago a white person refused to shake a black guy's hand and nearly 70 years ago Jackie Robinson wasn't allowed to play in an exhibition game. That was the entire town's published history of racism. Now I see why the town's history of racism coupled with a White-Hispanic that weighed over 100 pounds more than cherubic Trayvon hunted him down and executed him in cold blood as the coon he was, depriving him of his Skittles and ice tea.

Yes, I think we discussed this earlier in this thread. A 100 years ago a white person refused to shake a black guy's hand and nearly 70 years ago Jackie Robinson wasn't allowed to play in an exhibition game. That was the entire town's published history of racism. Now I see why the town's history of racism coupled with a White-Hispanic that weighed over 100 pounds more than cherubic Trayvon hunted him down and executed him in cold blood as the coon he was, depriving him of his Skittles and ice tea.

Really? Because I was wondering if, when BF-squared brought up the town's history of racism, if he was indicating causation or merely correlation, or if it even mattered...

Really? Because I was wondering if, when BF-squared brought up the town's history of racism, if he was indicating causation or merely correlation, or if it even mattered...

I'm waiting for the consensus before I commit.

Good times...

So, Martin was "standing his ground" when he followed GZ back to his vehicle? Or was he "standing his ground" when he punched GZ in the nose, breaking it? Maybe Martin was "standing his ground" when he was smashing the back of GZ's head into the concrete?

From what info has been made public, it would appear that the prosecution has no case. I didn't come to this conclusion overnight. I was one of the several posters urging caution, believing that the facts needed to come out before figuratively lynching GZ. You were one of the hissy fitters claiming "cold blooded killing", "hunting poor Trayvon down with his Skittles and ice tea", "GZ outweighed poor Trayvon by 100#s", "coon", blah, blah, blah. Now you're all over the board stating that GZ should be charged with manslaughter and then claiming that we have to wait for the facts.

Hey, remember when I didn't do those things but you guys were so !@#$ing retarded you claimed I did?

Yes, the town has a history of racism that feeds into public reaction.

Now you've gone and confused yourselves so much that don't can't even remember who killed who.

Hey, remember when I didn't do those things but you guys were so !@#$ing retarded you claimed I did?

Now you've gone and confused yourselves so much that don't can't even remember who killed who.

You've gotta be putting us on because you really can't be this stupid. Read the sentence again, very slowly. If English isn't your first language then maybe you need to find a translator.

Aside from your gaffe (one of many today) explain to me about the City of Sanford's history of racial strife. Hope you can do better than the last time.

Back a couple, three pages ago I showed you where you said those things. Remember, it was in response to you posting "DIE THREAD, JUST DIE"? I posted your embarrassing comments after stating that I didn't blame you for wanting this thread to die. On the plus/minus scale, like in hockey, you'd be -100 after the first 10 threads you posted in.

Actually, you said the town's racism was central to the case.

I believe you speculated a cover-up of a hate crime by the town, as well, but that could have been someone else.

You've gotta be putting us on because you really can't be this stupid. Read the sentence again, very slowly. If English isn't your first language then maybe you need to find a translator.

Aside from your gaffe (one of many today) explain to me about the City of Sanford's history of racial strife. Hope you can do better than the last time.

Back a couple, three pages ago I showed you where you said those things. Remember, it was in response to you posting "DIE THREAD, JUST DIE"? I posted your embarrassing comments after stating that I didn't blame you for wanting this thread to die. On the plus/minus scale, like in hockey, you'd be -100 after the first 10 threads you posted in.

Hey Fatty, are you going to address any of these 3 issues?

Wow, you could have read the part where I said based on the facts that we currently have and saved yourself this entire rant of absolute drivel.

A Hispanic man chased down and shot an unarmed black youth is a fact in this case. I did not pull it out of my ass. The DoJ is investigating at this point. They are not prosecuting. Did you get that point? If new evidence comes to light it may change the case. However, at this point it looks like an obvious racial killing.

I'll try again.

New Evidence Shows Trayvon's Life Unraveling

This past Thursday, George Zimmerman's attorneys released new evidence relevant to the upcoming trial of their client on a second-degree murder charge for the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

The Martin family attorneys say the evidence is irrelevant. They are wrong. It is damning. The text messages and photos from Martin's cell phone tell a story wildly at odds with the one the State of Florida and the media have been peddling for more than a year, but one altogether truer and sadder.

In the way of recap, in February 2012, Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch captain in Sanford, Florida, shot and killed the seventeen-year-old Martin.

Taking their cue from the Martin family's attorneys, Reuters ran the first national article on the shooting ten days after it happened. Zimmerman was a "loose cannon." He profiled Martin, stalked him, and shot him, disregarding police instructions. Martin, by contrast, was a "good kid." He had hoped to be a pilot. He was simply bringing the soon-to-be iconic iced tea and Skittles home to his "little brother."

This story was pure fable from the beginning, and the attorneys knew it. Even before going public, they moved to seal Martin's school records, and with good reason. Consider this exchange between Martin and a female friend on November 21, three months before his death. After he told her he was "tired and sore" from a fight, she asked him why he fought.

(dialogue at the link, includes the "N" word, so I won't post)

{snip}

On February 26, bored and likely high, Martin was in no mood to be challenged by some small "white" guy who was trying to maintain a visual on him until the police arrived.

"As I headed back to my vehicle the suspect emerged from the darkness and said, 'You got a problem?'" Zimmerman would tell the Sanford PD. When Zimmerman answered, "No," Martin said, "You do now." As it turned out, both of them had a problem. Martin's proved fatal.

Martin's parents failed him. The school system failed him. The sad vestiges of the civil rights movement betrayed him, and the media betrayed America. This all comes at a cost, and the piper has yet to be paid.

Read more: http://www.americant...l#ixzz2UbCYL7sx

I'll try again.

New Evidence Shows Trayvon's Life Unraveling

On February 26, bored and likely high, Martin was in no mood to be challenged by some small "white" guy who was trying to maintain a visual on him until the police arrived.

Gee, speculate much?

Oh, and this:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/28/justice/florida-zimmerman-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Toxicology tests estimate that he had used pot about two hours prior. When the prosecution tries to paint Martin as cherubic, the texts and pictures may then become admissable.

There are no tox tests that can pinpoint THC usage down to that level. None. If he was a regular smoker, the tests are even less conclusive.

And... if you could prove that Martin were high at the time of the incident, it would actually bolster the prosecution's case, not Zimmerman's.

Edited by Telepathic

There are no tox tests that can pinpoint THC usage down to that level. None. If he was a regular smoker, the tests are even less conclusive.

And... if you could prove that Martin were high at the time of the incident, it would actually bolster the prosecution's case, not Zimmerman's.

I see you are new here. There are plenty of pot apologist threads strewn all over this site. Try not to hijack this thread with your rationalization for why pot is harmless.

How that Zimmerman took advantage of someone while they were high? :rolleyes:

One of the things you might want to do if you are going to be a regular poster here is read the article you linked to. If you disagree with that article why would anyone here have cause to believe it? Furthermore, if you don't agree with it why would you post it?