Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama

1gap2gap

Some might say Dre is a later pick in this draft but the truth is, (as I see it) He is to big and moves too good and is too good a tackler to let him fall to far in this draft. Buddy might be looking to trade back but if he can't I suspect he will pick Kirkpatrick @10. Too much of a need with Patriots 4 & 5 WR sets. He is also big enough to handle Hernandez and Gronk. This kid good goes before our pcik also.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some might say Dre is a later pick in this draft but the truth is, (as I see it) He is to big and moves too good and is too good a tackler to let him fall to far in this draft. Buddy might be looking to trade back but if he can't I suspect he will pick Kirkpatrick @10. Too much of a need with Patriots 4 & 5 WR sets. He is also big enough to handle Hernandez and Gronk. This kid good goes before our pcik also.

He is good but i believe his stock in the draft dropped after he had some marijuana related issues, originally he was a top 10 talent. Other than that he fits the Buddy and Chan mold... SEC, big, and versatile as it has been seen he might be able to convert to safety.

I still stick with the philosophy that you build defense from the lines outward. Our front 7 is not set yet...I'd go front 7 before CB.

I still stick with the philosophy that you build defense from the lines outward. Our front 7 is not set yet...I'd go front 7 before CB.

My philosophy is "no pot head losers please". In this case your philosophy and mine agree we shouldn't draft this guy.

My philosophy is "no pot head losers please". In this case your philosophy and mine agree we shouldn't draft this guy.

lol...

I finally just watched the entire MW presser...I honestly had no idea this guy was so down to earth, so I'm on board with your philosophy as well. This guy is a quiet monster who leads by example. He likes family, a small town atmosphere, and the outdoors. He's a PERFECT fit for this team. The last thing we need is to bring in a druggie to mess with the excellent, unselfish team chemistry that we have here.

No more Thugs, even if they're good they'll whine and cry about the night life...see Marshawn Lynch and Willis Mcgahee.

the Buddy and Chan mold... SEC, big, and versatile

Add-in Buddy's comments over the years ("can't have enough corners") and the fact that we tried going after Routt and you get a very likely candidate for who we are looking at.

We are built on the lines.

Read today's Buffalo News article Here. According to Wanny it is DL and Secondary. We have lots of big bodies for the DL and LBs are not that critical, we are not the Steelers and won't rush an LB often at all. I put this in another thread...

Pressure will be created by the DL and there will be very few blitzes, this way you can play other coverages with our secondary and they don't get left playing single coverage. LBs are greatly reduced in their impact int his defensive system, they are your London Fletcher/Poz wrap up tacklers. The DL will create the pressure and the secondary will very rarely be in a single coverage match up. With the exception of playing teams that are run-oriented (meaning **** WRs and QBs - Phins, Jets) we won't be in a true 43 base that often. Expect to see 5-1-5 or even 6-0-5. I see Bryan Scott type tweeners excelling in this D in one or 2 of the LB positions. Our DL with at times have Williams, Dareus, Williams, Kelsy, Carrington, with Shep and Barnett as LBs and having Williams, McGee, McKelvin, and Wilson. Where are the weak links? What happens if McKelvin gets benched again - Florence goes in or Reggie Corner? McGee gets hurt yet again - who goes fills in there? CB is way more critical to our D this year.

Warren Sapp had pot issues, so did Randy Moss and countless others and they went on to be pretty damn productive. With our Locker room I have less concern about that. If we were the Bengals or the Cowboys(hence the joke from the 90s what do you call a drug ring in Dallas - The Cowboys Huddle) - yeah it would be cause for concern...

We are built on the lines.

Read today's Buffalo News article Here. According to Wanny it is DL and Secondary. We have lots of big bodies for the DL and LBs are not that critical, we are not the Steelers and won't rush an LB often at all. I put this in another thread...

Pressure will be created by the DL and there will be very few blitzes, this way you can play other coverages with our secondary and they don't get left playing single coverage. LBs are greatly reduced in their impact int his defensive system, they are your London Fletcher/Poz wrap up tacklers. The DL will create the pressure and the secondary will very rarely be in a single coverage match up. With the exception of playing teams that are run-oriented (meaning **** WRs and QBs - Phins, Jets) we won't be in a true 43 base that often. Expect to see 5-1-5 or even 6-0-5. I see Bryan Scott type tweeners excelling in this D in one or 2 of the LB positions. Our DL with at times have Williams, Dareus, Williams, Kelsy, Carrington, with Shep and Barnett as LBs and having Williams, McGee, McKelvin, and Wilson. Where are the weak links? What happens if McKelvin gets benched again - Florence goes in or Reggie Corner? McGee gets hurt yet again - who goes fills in there? CB is way more critical to our D this year.

Warren Sapp had pot issues, so did Randy Moss and countless others and they went on to be pretty damn productive. With our Locker room I have less concern about that. If we were the Bengals or the Cowboys(hence the joke from the 90s what do you call a drug ring in Dallas - The Cowboys Huddle) - yeah it would be cause for concern...

Randy Moss is one of the most immature, selfish players to ever put on a uniform...even not factoring in the drug issues, I would never want a guy like that on this team. Even T.O. probably is amazed at Moss's selfishness.

I trust Wanny completely, I just don't want to see Spencer Johnson lining up at LB this year. I love the MW signing, but I think it's a mistake to get in the mindset that his signing alone has fixed our D. If his goal is pressure with the DL solely, then Kelsay needs to up upgraded. This draft is not exactly flowing with defensive talent, but there are a few nice DLmen we could target, and I think that would be a more solid choice than a DB...that's my take, anyway.

I could care less that he smoked/smokes pot. I think you'd be surprised how many players do. If he can be a pro bowl CB, he's worth the selection and I'd back it up completely.

If we're going to take a player with earlier off the field issues that now seem resolved, lets take the better player in Jenkins (better than Haden when they were both at UF). He's the better CB if we're going this way...

I could care less that he smoked/smokes pot. I think you'd be surprised how many players do. If he can be a pro bowl CB, he's worth the selection and I'd back it up completely.

Frankly, I would find it hard to trust any player who went to college and did not smoke pot a few times. Obviously there are all kinds of exceptions, like Fred Jackson who IIRC apparently has never smoked or drank.

Randy Moss is one of the most immature, selfish players to ever put on a uniform...even not factoring in the drug issues, I would never want a guy like that on this team. Even T.O. probably is amazed at Moss's selfishness.

I trust Wanny completely, I just don't want to see Spencer Johnson lining up at LB this year. I love the MW signing, but I think it's a mistake to get in the mindset that his signing alone has fixed our D. If his goal is pressure with the DL solely, then Kelsay needs to up upgraded. This draft is not exactly flowing with defensive talent, but there are a few nice DLmen we could target, and I think that would be a more solid choice than a DB...that's my take, anyway.

I was just using Randy as an example, yeah he has a ton of other issues, but smoking pot wasn't a career killer (unless you are Sam Hurd) that is where I was going. I think that Buddy/Whaley/Gailey would stay away from him if they think he would become the next Pacman Jones...

DE talent is deep throughout this draft I suspect we will pick one or 2, I don't see good value at #10 - would be reach. Much like the Spiller pick they will draft BPA.

In another thread somewhere I complained about almost the same thing, we went from 43 to 34 back to 43 again - it was waste of time and effort. Shobel might not have even retired if we stayed 43. We were fitting a square peg in a round hole as we couldn't get the players to run it. Kelsay and Johnson as LBs was a miserable failure. There was no choice but to go back to the 43....

I am not totally scared off by Kirkpatrick having smoked pot, but I just don't think he will be that good - especially against

the Pats' smaller quicker receivers. Even at 6'2" he isn't a match for Gronkowski or Hernandez who are still considerably

taller and stronger than him.

Just my opinion, but I think taller CBs don't have the change-of-direction quickness to match up with most WRs in the NFL.

I personally would prefer any of the following to Kirkpatrick (and there are others that I'd take over Kirkpatrick too):

DE/pass rusher Melvin Ingram - Mario Williams alone does not solve the pass rush problems this team has had for years.

MLB/OLB Luke Kuechly - only if the team was confident that he could play OLB or that they like him far better than

Kelvin Sheppard whom the team seems to think highly of.

OT Riley Reiff - If he is available, he could very well be the pick.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Frankly, I would find it hard to trust any player who went to college and did not smoke pot a few times. Obviously there are all kinds of exceptions, like Fred Jackson who IIRC apparently has never smoked or drank.

I would totally agree with that. But there is a difference between chilling out somewhere on campus with a doob, and getting in a car under the influence of it (and having it with you in the car, as well). I just have no respect for people who do that.

I am not totally scared off by Kirkpatrick having smoked pot, but I just don't think he will be that good - especially against

the Pats' smaller quicker receivers. Even at 6'2" he isn't a match for Gronkowski or Hernandez who are still considerably

taller and stronger than him.

Just my opinion, but I think taller CBs don't have the change-of-direction quickness to match up with most WRs in the NFL.

That is a very good point.

I think you still need a taller CB to go against the bigger WRs. Yeah in our division it's not that important, but in the rest of the AFC it is...We need to be able to compete for our division, but we have to be able to compete for the AFC crown as well.

Are you typing while driving? :oops:

100% agree. People here are suffering from amnesia about our horrid d(even when Kyle was playing) now that we've signed Mario.

Our D front 7 still needs serious work even with the huge Mario signing.Doesn't look like there is great value at LB at #10--but we should do our best to figure out a way to get LB talent...and/or get another yes another nasty D lineman in there. Kyle and mario are coming off season ending injuries and you can never have enough strong D linemen. We need a LT as well.

Build it from the inside out.Look at all the consistently good teams in this league.---Of course CB is a need on this team--but not at the expense of a front 7 guy.

Edited by Tcali