What is plan B at Wide Receiver?

jahnyc

First off, a solid #2 is a priority and an absolute need. How soon we've forgotten about the cliff dive last year turned out to be...Secondly, a lot of you on this board keep saying we need a burner to stretch the field, which is not the case. We need to give Fitz posession receivers that are solid route runners and have good hands. Fitz is a mid range QB, he simply can't put up the long ball that some other QB's in thisleague can. THIS, was probably one of the deciding factors for Meachum, being that he's a fast field stretcher, who just so happened to sing with a team that has a QB who's long ball is in the "elite" category. In comes Robinson and Manningham...both create seperation, run crisp routes and have better than average hands, not to mention that they have shown the ability to go up and get the ball when needed.

I agree with your entire post. On O, WR is a critical priority and I wouldn't mind acquiring two. While I think a speed guy is important, I have to agree that Fitz is not the best QB to take advantage of that skill set as his accuracy downfield plain sucks.

Lets see who we get but even if we get one of the remaining WRs, I wouldnt put it past the FO to not further address that position in the draft.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your entire post. On O, WR is a critical priority and I wouldn't mind acquiring two. While I think a speed guy is important, I have to agree that Fitz is not the best QB to take advantage of that skill set as his accuracy downfield plain sucks.

Lets see who we get but even if we get one of the remaining WRs, I wouldnt put it past the FO to not further address that position in the draft.

What about T.O. or Lee Evans???

I know I'll get flamed but 2 seasons ago. When he had a receiving core which featured S. Johnson, L. Evans, R. Parish and D. Nelson they were moving the ball up and down the field.

Folks seem to forget that SJ showed he'd be a player from the very beginning; when he was working with Gibran Hamdan he was allready making great catches.

Ya think so??? Really???? See, I don't think people forget that at all about Stevie.

But they do forget that the very same thing can happen again with another player this year - and that you don't have to spend a gazillion $$$ in free agency or burn a 1st-round pick to find a quality #2 WR.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Everyone is freaking out and it's really unwarranted. A #2 WR isn't our biggest need, the ability to generate a pass rush is. There are still a LOT of options out there for us at WR:

1. Remaining unsigned FA's

2. Draft

3. Cuts

4. Easley

Take a deep breath.

#2 WR is HUGE as we dont' have one. Right now Double Stevie, stick someone on TE now that we have one and rush the passer. there isn't ONE GUY on this roster outside Stevie at WR that anyone fears or respects.

i think its pretty obvious how much bringing back lee evans would help this sad corp of WR's right now.

Although I think this robinson guy is intriguing w out ever seeing him play the stats are good. However, watching highlight reel on VJ after his signing shows why you cant always go with stats. theres a reason he got almost double what we paid stevie, ive never seen SJ make those type of grabs.

anyways,

Can you guys go back and watch some old lee evans tape? the guys really good and being hurt last year doesnt mean anything really, except that the "what have you done for me lately" fans can say hes "washed up" or "nothing left in the tank" or "lost a step" or______________(add cliche here)

I mean we still keep the fourth and all it cost us was losing about 4 extra games last year when jones parrish and easley all went down by week 5

Seems like all of the top FA wide receivers have already signed with other teams. V. Jackson, Colston, Morgan, and Garcon are all gone. Lloyd is over 30 and Manningham is not much of an upgrade. A strong #2 WR is a big need.

Peerless Price

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/14/nix-on-wr-market/

The free agent talent at wide receiver in this year’s market was considered to be deep, but that position has seen more signings than most other positions in this initial wave of free agency. So what’s Buddy Nix’s assessment of the WR talent out there?

Before the Bills were in pursuit of Robert Meachem, who subsequently signed with San Diego, Nix gave Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550 his assessment of the free agent wide receiver group.

“I think it’s good,” Nix said. ”Wide receiver and running back the numbers are always there whether it’s the draft or free agency. There are just a lot of them and more teams are using more of them. So you’ve got more guys subject to being cut and let go.”

It doesn’t sound like Nix is overly impressed with the pool of talent there, and that was before the likes of Vincent Jackson, Meachem and others were off the market. It makes one wonder if pursuing another free agent receiver is even a consideration for Buffalo at this point.

Robinson, Manningham, Doucet. I'd like either of these guys as a #2. In fact, I like them all more than Meecham. That said, having a player visit in such a public manner and sign with another team while there is an EPIC FAIL.

I would not say an EPIC FAIL. San Diego offered more than any other team was willing to pay.

Meecham: Mr. Nix, San Diego just offered me 25.9 mil over 4 years, will you match their offer?

Nix: Have fun in San Diego.

What else could the Bills have done?

Edited by cody

Let's face it, we can not simply improve this team by the draft alone. we need to supplement it with smart Fas, something we do not do yet ither teams with minimla cap space like the Giants somehow find a way to do. Ralph is cheap and stypid. we will forever be 7-9 and RW Stadium will be 1/2 empty from December on every year. Like 8 WRs sign elsewheer and not one with us ?

Let's face it, we can not simply improve this team by the draft alone. we need to supplement it with smart Fas, something we do not do yet ither teams with minimla cap space like the Giants somehow find a way to do. Ralph is cheap and stypid. we will forever be 7-9 and RW Stadium will be 1/2 empty from December on every year. Like 8 WRs sign elsewheer and not one with us ?

"Ralph is cheap and stypid?" He just drove Mario to a bank and said take as much as you need.

Wished we had a plan B in the works once Meachem flew the coop. Plan B is Malcolm Floyd or Stephen Hill but we still need a vet across from Stevie for a while. Easely hasn't played a down so its hard to gamble on him. A good receiving core -- second tier vet, Floyd, Stevie, Easely and David Nelson. Lee Evans, spare me.

I wasn't super into any of the FA WRs before FA started - at least not at the prices I expected them to sign for - and I'm not really into them now. For the record, I would've been somewhat upset/disappointed that Meachem was the Bills' apparent top WR target if I had cared about anything but Super Mario for those few hours. I do like the fact that the Bills skipped out on VJax's huge price tag (ocho cincos!), and targeted someone to make LESS than their #1 receiver. That's smart on a couple of levels. But I'd rather take a flyer on a 2nd-round rookie than have Meachem for what the Chargers paid. I like him even less after Chris Brown posted the snap counts for Saints WRs last year. Meachem was actually tops at 877 total snaps, yet was only 4th among WRs (6th overall) in catches. Yeah, he's a deep threat, his YPC is good, etc., etc. I've just never been impressed by him. And signing the #3 or #4 receiver in a great offense with a great QB to become the #2 receiver in a lesser offense with a lesser QB is a recipe for failure.

If they sign Manningham to a relatively low contract, I'd be okay with it, but unenthused. Manningham's a decent player, but nothing special. A good #3 for the Giants, but a weak #2 (which is why he lost his starting job in both 2010 and 2011). Not big, not super fast, nothing really special about him. A good player, though.

My Plan B of choice would be to take a rookie pretty high and hope for the best. (Which was actually my Plan A.) I like Alshon Jeffery and Stephen Hill the most, but there are some other high-upside guys who might be there in round 2 or even 3. I'm not a huge Michael Floyd fan, and would prefer to see an OT at #10, but I'm sure I'd talk myself into Floyd if he was the pick.