Which Bledsoe myth has imploded the most?

AKC

Select the prattle about Bledsoe that has been most exposed as a myth during the 2004 season  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Select the prattle about Bledsoe that has been most exposed as a myth during the 2004 season

• Can't win without a Pro-Bowl Tight End
    • Can't win on the road
    • He's a statue and can't run
    • Has no pocket presence
    • He's over the hill
    • Can't win a big game

In the second half of this season, although his stats are not too impressive, Bledsoe has actually played quite well. He looks much more comfortable in the pocket than at any time in his Bills tenure, almost to the point where it looks like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders. I think he's realized that he doesn't have to win games for the Bills, he just needs to give them consistent QB play, even if its not always pretty. The biggest difference in him seems to be his decision making. Not only is he getting the ball out of his hand much quicker and avoiding sacks (decent OL pass protection has certainly helped), but he's also making good reads and decisions with his throws, even if his accuracy sometimes leaves something to be desired. As a result, he's been a much better player as of late.

In the end, I think he's pretty much saved his career with his play of late and has shown that there can still be a place for him as a starting QB with the Bills. The key now for him is to keep playing well and to continue to improve.

Bledsoe seems to me to be playing at about the same level he has always played at. I think that he is employed better by MM than he was by Killdrive and GW and that has made all the difference, but he is pretty much the same as he always has been.

I think many TSW posters were simply fooling themselves when they made false claims like the myth that he could not win anywhere. Bledsoe had won big games and for entire seasons before. It took an HC and team leadership like Parcells provided when he took a team QB'ed by Bledsoe to the SB (the team won a few big games getting there) and like BB when he had Bledsoe run an offense powered down for Brady when Bledsoe played QB in the majority of a must-win game during their SB run.

Bledsor's play has improved this year, but a lot of it seems to me because the Bills braintrust has:

1. Not relied on him to win games with his arm and instead used his extraoridinary arm a threat and change-up.

2. Used abilities he has gained from years of play to pull off some effective play fakes and flea flickers.

3. Greatly simplified the offense and reduced reliance on his brain by limiting the types and number of audibles he can call (by Bledsoe's own admission last week this is true).

4. Gone back to employing him as a runner and passing on the run. The Bills had gotten away from this probably due to fear from Bledsoe's grievous hit at the hands of Mo Lewis and mistaking the fact that he throws better from the pocket as meaning he is incapable of throwing on the move. He is a much better thrower when he stands still, but as he showed on the rollout TD to Evans yesterday he can make that throw sometimes. As long as we have him throw on the run when there is still a down to work with if he misses and he/we emphasize him missing this pass outside rather than inside where it cannot be intercepted, this pass is no problem.

The big myth is that Bledsoe's game or skills has changed that much they haven't. He is still a player with extraordinary strengths (his arm, years of experience) and extraordinary weaknesses (mobility, occaisional brain farts), The key is to simply use him well and MM/Clements have done this.

Stupid gilbride. Why did no one ever snipe him in the middle of a game???

181214[/snapback]

Gilbride set him up to fail. Hell, Peyton would have looked terrible in that offensive system.

And when I say offensive, I truly mean offensive!!!

:blink:

Pocket present.

He never had one before. On the Bills at least.

181258[/snapback]

The worm turned in the first Miami game sometime early in the fourth quarter. I was sitting in the tunnel end zone watching the Bills drive to the other end. Somewhere around midfield, Drew dropped back and Zach Thomas (I think) came on a delayed blitz. Drew sidestepped him, Thomas went careening down the field, and Drew stepped back into the pocket and rifled a pass for the first down. It happened so fast that my buddy and I looked at each other and said "Did you see that? Did that really happen?"

It was the first time in ages I'd seen Drew display any kind of pocket presence. Since then he's just gotten better and better. Yes, the line play has improved. Yes, Willis is a better blocker than Travis. Yes, Evans gives Drew another target so he doesn't have to lock on to Moulds. But Drew has DEFINITELY improved by his ownself, and I trace it all right back to that play.

Does anyone else remember the play I'm talking about?

The worm turned in the first Miami game sometime early in the fourth quarter.  I was sitting in the tunnel end zone watching the Bills drive to the other end.  Somewhere around midfield, Drew dropped back and Zach Thomas (I think) came on a delayed blitz.  Drew sidestepped him, Thomas went careening down the field, and Drew stepped back into the pocket and rifled a pass for the first down.  It happened so fast that my buddy and I looked at each other and said "Did you see that?  Did that really happen?" 

It was the first time in ages I'd seen Drew display any kind of pocket presence.  Since then he's just gotten better and better.  Yes, the line play has improved.  Yes, Willis is a better blocker than Travis.  Yes, Evans gives Drew another target so he doesn't have to lock on to Moulds.  But Drew has DEFINITELY improved by his ownself, and I trace it all right back to that play.

181320[/snapback]

I remember it. He was doing the same in the opener JAX game and then reverted to 2003 form until the miami game you speak of. I'm sure Sam Wyche has played a large roll in this as well.

I'm sure I missed a few-

181192[/snapback]

You forgot he sucks! :blink:

:w00t:

I think it's funny how this board is greatly influenced by the minority opinion which happens to be the loudest. :blink:

I don't think he's our savior but I also believe he can help us win it all. :rolleyes:

You forgot he sucks!  :blink:

:rolleyes:

I think it's funny how this board is greatly influenced by the minority opinion which happens to be the loudest.    :blink:

I don't think he's  our savior but I also believe he can help us win it all.    ;)

181505[/snapback]

You dont have a clue. :w00t:

The worm turned in the first Miami game sometime early in the fourth quarter.  I was sitting in the tunnel end zone watching the Bills drive to the other end.  Somewhere around midfield, Drew dropped back and Zach Thomas (I think) came on a delayed blitz.  Drew sidestepped him, Thomas went careening down the field, and Drew stepped back into the pocket and rifled a pass for the first down.  It happened so fast that my buddy and I looked at each other and said "Did you see that?  Did that really happen?" 

It was the first time in ages I'd seen Drew display any kind of pocket presence.  Since then he's just gotten better and better.  Yes, the line play has improved.  Yes, Willis is a better blocker than Travis.  Yes, Evans gives Drew another target so he doesn't have to lock on to Moulds.  But Drew has DEFINITELY improved by his ownself, and I trace it all right back to that play.

181320[/snapback]

Hell yes I remember that play, and I was just as blown away by it as you were.

If you look at Bledsoe's stats in the 6 game winning streak they are pretty impressive:

107/180 59%, 1,192 Yards 11 TD 5 INT, for a rating of 88.6, and those stats translated over a 16 game season would look like this:

288/480, 3,184 Yards 29 TD 13 INT, and those are pretty solid...I hope those are stats we can look forward to next season.

If you look at Bledsoe's stats in the 6 game winning streak they are pretty impressive:

107/180 59%, 1,192 Yards 11 TD 5 INT, for a rating of 88.6, and those stats translated over a 16 game season would look like this:

288/480, 3,184 Yards 29 TD 13 INT, and those are pretty solid...I hope those are stats we can look forward to next season.

181573[/snapback]

Not only that, but consider that three of those INTs came in one game (which we won handily anyway), meaning that in the other five games (three of which were on the road) he was only picked off twice.

Also consider that he came out of (I believe) three of the six games early, which denied him the opportunity to pad his stats against defenses he'd already strafed.

That should get the haters going. :o

you kill me AKC... Now send me your address so I can send you the dry cleaning bill for causing me to spew coffee all over my nice new polo shirt.

I can't believe anyone would have the nerve to throw this gem out on the heels of the Bills blistering of the 49ers.

I mean... aren't we talking about the 22nd rated QB in the NFL passing for a pathetic 172 yards in 21 completions against the NFLs 22nd ranked defense? Hell, Matthews nearly trippled that production in only two completions. For Christ's sake... Bledsoe ranks lower than Brian Griese, Kerry Collins, Jake Plummer, and Kurt Warner???? The only excuse for you propping him up that I can come up with is that you've overdosed so badly on the Bledsoe Koolaid that your lungs are so filled that they can't deliver oxygen to your brain.

Bledsoe's been working with a short field for the past few weeks, thanks to the 3rd ranked defense that has tied the NFL record for turnovers in a 6 game span and a special teams unit that's playing lights out, and a running back that's produced over 1,000 yards in essentially 9 games, and the dude still can't play even a little bit closer to the level of play of the D and ST. Geezuz God... for $6M he ought to be delivering a sh-- load of offense instead of after 13 years having the coaching staff dumb the offense down for him and throw in gadget plays to help increase his effectiveness.

Dispelling myths... are you out of your GD mind???

Please... I'll chill for a bit on the anti-Bledsoe rhetoric (although true and accurate). But, you've got to do your part too and not bait me with such atrocious stevestojan... and I might even forgive you for wrecking my shirt.

Dispelling myths... are you out of your GD mind??? 

182210[/snapback]

That's right, I forgot the one where you demanded that W/L was the only sign of a good QB!

I had no idea winning would be this difficult for you.

From the list above,

pocket presence is far and away the right answer,

though the myth that continues to implode the most

is that Drew is a HOF QB. :(

But I'm not bitching, he's had a nice run this year,

here's to him keeping it up for 5 more games. :o

From the list above,

pocket presence is far and away the right answer,

though the myth that continues to implode the most

is that Drew is a HOF QB. ;)

But I'm not bitching, he's had a nice run this year,

here's to him keeping it up for 5 more games. ;)

182261[/snapback]

That's where we are. He's had a good run. I understand that some ESPN presentation regarding p-o possoble teams had a cardbord figurine representing DB.

That was fair.

;)

he's had a nice run this year,

here's to him keeping it up for 5 more games. ;)

182261[/snapback]

I'll hoist one to you, me, and everyone else hoping for the same.