What we'll probably get for T. Henry

Albany,n.y.

I can't see us getting much in this year's draft, so I suspect what TD will do is trade Henry for a conditional pick in the 2006 draft. That way if TH performs well for his new team the Bills get a decent pick, if not then it's a lower pick, My guess: a minimum 2006 4th rounder which upgrades to a 3rd if TH goes over 1,000 and a 2nd if he goes over 1,500. The 2nd may also be tied to the new team's ability to sign TH to a new contract beyond 2005.

If you're thinking Henry & a pick to move up, use a 3rd-4th as the guide to add to the pick to determine move up. So I can't see us getting into the 1st because that would be = to a low 1st-early 2nd & a 2nd, but I could see us moving our 3rd + Henry into the 2nd round.

In terms of history, we received a 4th from GB for Darrick Holmes in the middle of the season. Corey Dillon was traded for a 2nd, so anyone who thinks we can get higher than a conditional 2nd is dreaming, anyone who thinks we'll get lower than a 4th is underestimating Henry's value.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post - Id have to agree with most of it.

Also, it seems that TH hasn't been the best backup - support-wise. Also, he ruled himself out of this weeks' game - when was the last time you saw a player rule himself out? Most players need to be pulled b/c they want to play so bad.

However, he is still a decent runner so we could get a late 2nd or early 3rd this year for him.

I think the Bills will do the right thing and keep Travis thru his contract. He's worth more to the Bills as a backup in 2005 than he will fetch in a trade. There are a lotta good backs in this draft. Better than last year by far. Nobody would give us even a 3rd for a 1 year contract for travis henry.

I think Henry could still have value to garner a 3rd rounder simply because whoever signs him will have the leverage in contract negotiations. We have Henry under a modest contract now as it is, and remember this is still a RB who got 1,438 yds in '02 and 1,356 yds in '03. Health remains a slight issue which again should favor the team in negotiations (not to mention the fumbling) but if I was heading another team Henry would be a decent risk to take providing he would sign another modest deal.

I think the Bills will do the right thing and keep Travis thru his contract. He's worth more to the Bills as a backup in 2005 than he will fetch in a trade. There are a lotta good backs in this draft. Better than last year by far. Nobody would give us even a 3rd for a 1 year contract for travis henry.

181103[/snapback]

I gotta go there too. TH is too good a back (even with his faults) to put on the street for a fourth round pick. What about a trade scenario? Just about everyone is better off in tight ends than the Bills. That, I could see. I hate to say it, but if the team is going to lose Travis next year, does Miami have anything we want? They are seriously hurting for a running game. Of course, having an non-offensive line wouldn't hurt them there, either.

Corey Dillon was traded for a 2nd

181092[/snapback]

Different dynamics for Dillon since he's always been considered kind of a "Pigpen" character by teammates, leaving a risk of spreading any malaise he might suffer among the balance of the team. The risk has paid off handsomely so far for NE, we'll see what the future of it brings since the weakest point in Belichick's game looks to be his individual relationships with players. He can get a team to play for him but it's almost amusing how some of the biggest talents on his rosters don't trust him personally.

I'm guessing there's room around the league for Travis to draw up a #2.

If there is a player, in the Lee Evans category, that the Bills brass really, really likes, and his draft status is a mid to late first rounder, like Evans was, I could see the Bills trading our #2 and Henry for a team's #1. That would be a pretty good trade, I think, for another team who needs a RB, also. They would be getting Henry and two #2's, plus saving a little cash for not having to sign a #1.

That said, I still think we keep Henry for this next season. He is too good, too cheap, and a good #2 running back is too valuable to trade him for virtually nothing (meaning a #4 pick in the draft).

He is too good, too cheap, and a good #2 running back is too valuable to trade him for virtually nothing (meaning a #4 pick in the draft).

181129[/snapback]

That would be indisputable IF he would pull his head out of his butt feeling sorry for himself- but that's a big if. I'm not saying I can't understand his disappointment in falling to 2 on the Depth Chart but is there any chance he comes out in '05 totally ready to play the roles he's given (like all the quality #2s do)?

That would be indisputable IF he would pull his head out of his butt feeling sorry for himself- but that's a big if. I'm not saying I can't understand his disappointment in falling to 2 on the Depth Chart but is there any chance he comes out in '05 totally ready to play the roles he's given (like all the quality #2s do)?

181156[/snapback]

If Travis could have played yesterday, he would have. I went to a few games in buffalo and seattle and watched what Travis would do when McGahee scored, and contrary to a lot of crap thrown around, when I was watching he always got up and went right over to Willis and congratulated him. Travis hasn't been whining. And I would bet the team could count on him to give his all in the games when he is close to being healthy.

Even though I am a Travis fan, I don't think it is even close as to who is the better back, and I hope Travis never gets in a game as long as we have Willis, but until TH is healthy and in the game and he doesn't try his ass off, I am not going to badmouth him. He is a short guy, like Thurman was, with a chip on his shoulder, who uses hate to motivate himself. I will bet the next time we see Travis play, he runs like hell.

181156[/snapback]

Did I miss something? I think it has been clear tbat Henry was disappointed to get passed by by Willis great play and that he was disappointed by getting injured and the inital injury assessments which had him badly hurt enough that he was going on IR.

However, I haven't heard much from Henry that I would classify as him having his head up his butt or anything at all of a repitious nature that would qualify has cancerous behavior for the team.

Unlike an earlier poster in this thread, i have certainly heard players say that there is no chance that an injury is going to allow them to play the next game (particularly if it is an injury that has kept them from practicing for several games). Clearly to me Henry has not contributed at all to the Bills since a few hopeful performances in the first few games, but outside of the occaisional word which might just as easily be someone from the media selecting a quote to create a fight to help them sell ads, I haven't heard much from TH I would deem problematic. In fact, I think he has handled the situation of being pushed aside by WMs drafting and play pretty well since his initial questions which many folks had when WM was picked.

Are there some specific quotes that engendered any bad feelings you have about him?

If there is a player, in the Lee Evans category, that the Bills brass really, really likes, and his draft status is a mid to late first rounder, like Evans was, I could see the Bills trading our #2 and Henry for a team's #1. That would be a pretty good trade, I think, for another team who needs a RB, also. They would be getting Henry and two #2's, plus saving a little cash for not having to sign a #1.

That said, I still think we keep Henry for this next season. He is too good, too cheap, and a good #2 running back is too valuable to trade him for virtually nothing (meaning a #4 pick in the draft).

181129[/snapback]

How about an impact TE?

181156[/snapback]

Agreed. You do NOT want a player on the roster who isn't happy with his backup role, regardless of his cheap contract. From what I'm hearing, he's not a happy camper these days and would welcome a chance to compete for a starting role again. Roland Hooks, Robb Riddick, Kenny Davis..they thrived in the backup role and contributed on Special Teams. Can't see Henry fitting that role at all. His agent will be calling TD in a couple months, begging out.

Quit dreaming and turn the page. We're on the road to success. We don't need any nails in the tires.

181103[/snapback]

Won't get much for a trade prior to the draft, however someone is going to go down after the season starts and prior to the trade deadline in October. Might get a third rounder under that scenario.

I doubt that Donahoe will trade Henry for less than he has invested in him. If the Bills trade him, it will likely be for no less than a 2nd.

The Bills should have no trouble finding a trading partner amongst the 10 worst rushing teams in the league. Most of them will not be able to draft a top prospect at RB in R1, but could probably obtain Henry with a 2nd round pick or combination of picks. That's going to look like a much better deal to a lot of teams than drafting an unproven rookie in the top 15 picks and paying him a huge salary.

The Bills will be able to get a 2nd rounder.  If Dillon, a malcontent considered to be on the downside of his career, could fetch one, so too can Henry.  And with the market being weak thanks to RW retirement and the Colts planning on franchising Edge, Henry will be one of the more sought-after RB's.

181212[/snapback]

I don't think so. The Bengals got pick #64 specifically for Dillon - i.e. the lowest pick in the second round. There's a difference between getting a known pick and a generic pick (say in the 2006 draft) in the second round.

Dillon is a much better running back than Henry. He's been more productive for a longer period of time, is a better blocker, fumbles much less, and stays on the field (if Henry misses Sunday's game, he'll have missed as many games this year as Dillon has in his career). The middle two below-average skills are very important - NFL talent evaluators aren't trying to win a fantasy football league.

Few running backs in the NFL have all that much trade value, and I don't think Henry is among them. Marshall Faulk only fetched a second rounder the year before he became the consensus best player in the league. Guys like Nick Goings and Reuben Droughens have come from the bottom of the depth chart and gotten the job done for their respective teams.

5th, conditional 4th at best, but if I had to guess I'd guess he is released.

You guys who think we'll get a 2nd are dreaming. Marshall Faulk in his prime got a 2 & 5. Henry is a good lunchpail RB who has never been considered in the same class as Dillon & Faulk, has had a history of injuries & fumbles and is one 16 year old girl from a prison cell. Please face reality, his contract is up at the end of next season. A conditional 2 for 2006, maybe, an outright 2 in the offseason NFW.

You guys who think we'll get a 2nd are dreaming.  Marshall Faulk in his prime got a 2 & 5.  Henry is a good lunchpail RB who has never been considered in the same class as Dillon & Faulk, has had a history of injuries & fumbles and is one 16 year old girl from a prison cell.  Please face reality, his contract is up at the end of next season. A conditional 2 for 2006, maybe, an outright 2 in the offseason NFW.

181242[/snapback]

Agreed.

You guys who think we'll get a 2nd are dreaming.  Marshall Faulk in his prime got a 2 & 5.  Henry is a good lunchpail RB who has never been considered in the same class as Dillon & Faulk, has had a history of injuries & fumbles and is one 16 year old girl from a prison cell.  Please face reality, his contract is up at the end of next season. A conditional 2 for 2006, maybe, an outright 2 in the offseason NFW.

181242[/snapback]

Faulk's situation was an abberation. The Colts thought he was done. They also knew that they were going to draft either Rickey Williams or Edgerrin James, and took what they could get for Faulk. Corey Dillon is a much better example, IMO. A few excellent seasons, thought rightly or wrongly to be a malcontent. Dillon had a couple more good seasons. Travis has a couple more good seasons left as he is several years younger. Neither is a great blocker or receiver.

181242[/snapback]

You do realize that Faulk forced the Colts' hand, don't you? He only demanded (and ultimately recieved, from the Rams) $45 million, which Indy could not, or would not pay. Everyone in the league knew they had to dump Faulk and it drove his price down as a result. The point is, the Faulk trade is not representative for the typical value a RB holds. The Saints got a 1st and conditional 3rd (that ultimately became a 1st) for Ricky Williams, who I doubt anyone considered to be the equal of Marshall Faulk at the same point of their careers. The difference was that everyone knew Faulk was going to hold out for big bucks.