Chances of Bills signing both Mario and Wimbley

PDaDdy

I'm no cap expert but I do like difference making talent which has been our problem for SOOOOO many years. I know Nix doesn't want to get into bidding wars but is it possible to sign both Super Mario and Kamerion Wimbley? I've heard numbers like $17 Million a year for Super Mario and $11+ million for Wimbley. Is it possible with our cap situation to get both of these guys for $30 Million or less a year and be absolutely set on defense? I think with the cap money rolled over from last year we would still have money left over. Drop some dead weight and we could still have enough to sign our rookies.

We have so much crap and fodder on this team that we pay to be average or useless depth especially on defense. Why not go big and go from nearly last in the league on defense with Edwards to nearly first in the league with Wandsted and two HUGE new toys to play with? We should still have a little money to throw at 31 year old FJ to make him happy. If not tough titty. Make friends with Jason Peters.

There aren't very many players especially on defense that I would not shoot out of a cannon from 1 Bills drive to get these two guys. Kelsay, who is not bad at all, could save us $5 million or so a year alone. If Merriman is still an injruy wreck jettison his butt too! We have a log jam of used to be 3-4 DEs that will have no place in our current system. Get rid of them too and save some money.

Edited by PDaDdy

the Bills signing one of these guys is probably a tad bit of a fantasy. Having the Bills sign both is just not even in the realm of possibility

Believe me. I know it's crazy. If I could play armchair GM this is the shot at greatness I take. I was just wondering if the numbers actually worked out. From what I heard it might take to get these guys it seemed financially within the realm of possibility. I would go to each guy and say we are looking to get the other to show that we were serious about taking down the Pats this year and pointing to our success last year with far less talent and rookies.

I would say we want to bring you in and put you in the mix with Dareus, Williams and prop Merriman up with some crutches and have a ridiculous defensive front to go crush Tom Brady for the next few years. You can't pass if you are eating dirt. It's not a passing league if you don't have time to throw it.

Edited by PDaDdy

Again...dose of reality taken but is it financially possible? With money rolled over from 2011 aren't we going to have at least $30+ million in cap space without making a single cut?

Edited by PDaDdy

Again...dose of reality taken but is it financially possible?

Not really. The Bills operate on the cash to cap model. This means that any roster or signing bonuses will count 100% this year. How much "cap space" we have is really irrelevant.

It's nice to dream...and it's the answer to another thread...'What would make it cool to play in Bflo again'?

If the Bills were to sign somehigh profile FAs, they might develop some momentum with other FAs. Not Buddy's way though.

Not really. The Bills operate on the cash to cap model. This means that any roster or signing bonuses will count 100% this year. How much "cap space" we have is really irrelevant.

Sadly this is probably the single biggest factor for this proposal being a fantasy but man would it be sweet! The thing that is frustrating is that I think it is possible if we said screw cash to cap this year and we were truly aggressive in FA and push for a play off run.

The Bills have spent money before and will likely do it again if we make the play offs and decide that a few high priced additions could take us over the top. I'm sure it can be said almost any year but these are two unique players that could have an incredible impact with the guys we already have. Specifically Williams and Dareus. Four guys in the front 7 that are each legitimately 1 on 1 match up nightmares. That doesn't even count Merriman who I have always thought of as an expensive lottery ticket that so far hasn't paid any dividends.

It's nice to dream...and it's the answer to another thread...'What would make it cool to play in Bflo again'?

If the Bills were to sign somehigh profile FAs, they might develop some momentum with other FAs. Not Buddy's way though.

Exactly! National recognition and respect overnight. It would show the entire football world that Buffalo is again interested in winning! I'm not talking fielding just a very competitive team with some B level FAs I'm talking about a team built to beat the division rival Patriots who have won the division forever.

Edited by PDaDdy

That's true, but they rolled over that additional $21mfrom last year's cap, giving them a reported $35m to play with. I don't think they can go after both but perhaps one isn't out of the question? I gotta think they gave themselves that extra room for a reason.

GO BILLS!!!

It would be a departure from their normal M.O. but It makes me think. I just can't get the idea out of my head. It would be an amazing turn around from a talent standpoint. It fixes by far our 2 biggest problems on the team. Not only eliminating a weakness but turning them into actual strengths. What Wansted could do with that kind of talent could truly be scary. If the Merriman lottery ticket gamble pays off....DONE DEAL! We would have a legit defense that could be one of the best instead of nearly the worst.

You're darn right I'm dreaming. I dreaming and thinking big! I am no capologist like I said but I have been reading some articles recently regarding our cap and a lot of money was rolled over from the previous year. We are already significantly under the actual cap without that money. I believe one article said something regarding even our cash to cap figure changes this year. I skimmed the article but the numbers were over $30 million or something like that.

What Buddy Nix and Ralph will do is one thing but I think the math bares out that we could with a few cuts actually have enough money to sign both of these guys sign our rookies and even extend FJ with a little extra scratch. As stated I want quality over quantity. I'll take 2 true difference makers over 5 average to slightly above average role players any day. We are going to be more aggressive so Nix says. I don't expect this aggressive but I think it would actually be possible.

Edited by PDaDdy