Colts looking to trade Freeney

Hatszel

This would be a major pick up for the Bills in many ways first of all fills our need for a DE and would help to pull in the Syracuse Market for a marketing standpoint. What do you think it would take to get him?

I'd be willing to send them a mid round pick if Freeney would accept a re-structure/extension

His contract makes him virtually un-tradeable without restructuring.

GO BILLS!!!

Remember in a trade we don't get his cap number.

So cap wise he costs Indy 19 million or so. If we ended up getting him it would only be 14 million and just for this year.

I am varied with my opinion on where his skills are given his age. However, from a cap perspective and trade (middle rounds is probably right) I'd think about doing it.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Do many of these happen? Ever?

I mean where a pro football player restructures his contract in order for a trade?

When was the last time a starter of his caliber did it?

Of his caliber? Rarely. Reggie bush did the old sign and trade last year, as the most recent "name" guy that I can think of.

So cap wise he costs Indy 19 million or so. If we ended up getting him it would only be 14 million and just for this year.

I am varied with my opinion on where his skills are given his age. However, from a cap perspective and trade (middle rounds is probably right) I'd think about doing it.

14 million and Indy will want something in return.... I'd rather see the Bills get Mario

14 million and Indy will want something in return.... I'd rather see the Bills get Mario

Yeah, FB, do you every write something here and just almost immediately regret it?

I wasn't thinking things through and was in hurry to get back to something else.

I agree with you 100%.

His contract makes him virtually un-tradeable without restructuring.

GO BILLS!!!

Not really. It is a $14m base salary for a perennial probowler

It is not an astronomical number for a team with cap space like the Bills. But you would think any more would be conditional with the draft pick compensation escalating if he signs an extension

Not really. It is a $14m base salary for a perennial probowler

It is not an astronomical number for a team with cap space like the Bills. But you would think any more would be conditional with the draft pick compensation escalating if he signs an extension

You're right. I was confusing his cap number of $19m with his contract number. Appreciate the clarification.

GO BILLS!!!

This would be a major pick up for the Bills in many ways first of all fills our need for a DE and would help to pull in the Syracuse Market for a marketing standpoint. What do you think it would take to get him?

They will probably switch to a 34 so a trade for Dwan Edwards seems fair.

The Colts just gave a monster contract to the DE on the other side. Freeney, while good, is starting to be past his prime. A 14 million dollar salary is just too high imo.

If they could get him cheaper and not have to give up an early round pick, one would have to find it an interesting proposition.

14 MIL! that's a lot, he would definitely need to restructure.

my concern with him is would his numbers translate outdoors and to a team where he isnt always playing with a lead (ie straight to the qb from halftime on). id much rather get mario or yea, even abraham, at those dollars. someone that is more stout.

was this sarcasm or serious?

Serious. With both the HC Greg Pagano and Greg Manusky running 34 systems it would seem that they will switch over so they'll need some big boys up front and Dwan is a good 34 End and he was drafted by Baltimore in the second, so it seems plausible.

I can't see anyone giving up a pick for that size contract for one year without knowing whether they can sign him to a long term deal. My guess is the Colts don't find any trade partner and will have to decide to either release him and save a boatload of cash or pay his last year and let him walk in 2013.

my concern with him is would his numbers translate outdoors and to a team where he isnt always playing with a lead (ie straight to the qb from halftime on). id much rather get mario or yea, even abraham, at those dollars. someone that is more stout.

I have been calling out his name for about a month now.

I bet you could get him for half Mario or Freeney.

Situational pass rusher guy. Still has 2-3 years left. He is in great shape.

What about 3 yr $20 mil for ole Honest Abe? Any takers? Big signing bonus and first year salary.