Gas prices must come down, consumers say

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/story/2012-03-08/gasoline-poll/53421786/1?loc=interstitialskip

Talk about Entitlement, Americans obviously feel they are entitled to inexpensive gas to fuel their overleveraged, overspent lives.....

Why do people here feel like gas should be less? Do they want Naitonalized Oil Companies and refineries? Heck, if I have a boat lead of the light sweet stuff, you bet your ass I am selling that stuff to the highest bidder... that's how Capitalism works...

If you have some time, read the comments in the article... hilarious.

I remember prior to 2008 when gas was $4 plus, people were pissed because Bush was not doing anything about gas prices... 4 years later, same circus different clown... American politics has become quite the entertainment...

Gas prices always increase in the spring and summer then decrease into fall. So what will happen

Gas Prices go up over $4

Obama talks

Gas Prices go up over $4.25

Obama talks some more

Gas Prices go up over $4.50

Obama talks some more

Gas Prices go up to I don't know how high

Obama talks some more

Gas prices start to come down later in the year

Obama takes credit

Gas prices continue to go down later in the year

Obama takes more credit

Gas prices down to $4.25! Give that man another term!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/story/2012-03-08/gasoline-poll/53421786/1?loc=interstitialskip

Talk about Entitlement, Americans obviously feel they are entitled to inexpensive gas to fuel their overleveraged, overspent lives.....

Why do people here feel like gas should be less? Do they want Naitonalized Oil Companies and refineries? Heck, if I have a boat lead of the light sweet stuff, you bet your ass I am selling that stuff to the highest bidder... that's how Capitalism works...

I remember prior to 2008 when gas was $4 plus, people were pissed because Bush was not doing anything about gas prices... 4 years later, same circus different clown... American politics has become quite the entertainment...

Because the price would be lower were it not for artificial restraints on supply.

"Now, here’s the thing, though — this is not the first time we’ve seen gas prices spike. It’s been happening for years. Every year, about this time, gas starts spiking up, and everybody starts wondering, how high is it going to go? And every year, politicians start talking when gas prices go up. They get out on the campaign trail — and you and I both know there are no quick fixes to this problem — but listening to them, you’d think there were."
President Obama (video at the link)

Well, here’s the thing — this isn’t the first time we’ve heard a President claim that there are no quick fixes to the problem of dependency on foreign oil and supply shocks.

When Republicans pressed Bill Clinton to open up ANWR and offshore drilling, Clinton responded that it would take years for such a policy to deliver enough supply to matter. When George Bush tried to get a Democratic Congress to agree to open ANWR, Democrats said it would take years for such a policy to deliver enough supply to matter. Now that Barack Obama’s in the White House, he says that increased domestic production by opening up long-restricted areas would take too long to deliver enough supply to matter.

When it comes to energy policy, accessing our own vast stores of oil and natural gas isn’t a “quick fix” — it’s a long term policy that creates economic growth, national security, and jobs. And if Democrats had concerned themselves with those issues almost 20 years ago, we wouldn’t have had prices “spiking up … every year, about this time.”

Telling people to shrug it off simply because it keeps happening is kind of like proposing trillion-dollar deficits each year rather than getting serious about spending cuts and responsible budgeting. Oh, yeah...................

Ed Morrissey

President Obama (video at the link)

Well, here's the thing — this isn't the first time we've heard a President claim that there are no quick fixes to the problem of dependency on foreign oil and supply shocks.

When Republicans pressed Bill Clinton to open up ANWR and offshore drilling, Clinton responded that it would take years for such a policy to deliver enough supply to matter. When George Bush tried to get a Democratic Congress to agree to open ANWR, Democrats said it would take years for such a policy to deliver enough supply to matter. Now that Barack Obama's in the White House, he says that increased domestic production by opening up long-restricted areas would take too long to deliver enough supply to matter.

When it comes to energy policy, accessing our own vast stores of oil and natural gas isn't a "quick fix" — it's a long term policy that creates economic growth, national security, and jobs. And if Democrats had concerned themselves with those issues almost 20 years ago, we wouldn't have had prices "spiking up … every year, about this time."

Telling people to shrug it off simply because it keeps happening is kind of like proposing trillion-dollar deficits each year rather than getting serious about spending cuts and responsible budgeting. Oh, yeah...................

Ed Morrissey

This is the fallacy of the argument that drilling doesn't do anything.

So....let's see. Should we make the decision, now, that screws us over 20 years from now? What purpose does that serve? What if it doesn't take 20 years what if it only takes 4? Price might suck now, but it we do nothing, now, they are sure to suck later as well.

It's completely illogical.

This is the fallacy of the argument that drilling doesn't do anything.

So....let's see. Should we make the decision, now, that screws us over 20 years from now? What purpose does that serve? What if it doesn't take 20 years what if it only takes 4? Price might suck now, but it we do nothing, now, they are sure to suck later as well.

It's completely illogical.

Because Americans want their instant gratification now!

Now!!! Now!!! Now!!! Now!!! Now!!! Now!!! Now!!!

Is it time to vote for American Idol® yet?

Hearng the news as of late with rising gas prices and Obama wanting gas done with all together and being against the coal indusrty and things of that nature aught to tell everyone how far off base this guy is. Word has it he wants us to pay what the Europians do, not possible. This country is in enough of a bind as it is, let alone 9 or 10 dollar a gallon gas prices. You raise the gas and evertying goes up with it. Bad thing is when it does come down some nothing comes down with it. The problem with rising gas prices and the cost of product raising is only big oil gets the money. How many people do you know of when the last time gas prices took a big jump got a big raise to be able to compensate. When you drive and economical vehicle to work and you start looking at 40, 50, 60 or more dollars to fill it up you are taking away from other necessity bills. With no other "right now" alternative they need to just leave the gas prices alone. With big oil companies prifiting what they are already profiting it is just pointless. There is so much to fix in the American economy and I am not sure where they should start, perhaps more jobs back in the US; but, raising gas prices is only going to hinder and create more problems for those of us who just get by without all the bells and whistles type stuff. I and many others like myself contribute; but, to our government letting gas prices rise doesn't help anything anyhow. The scary thing is if Obama does something about it, it will only be a fix for re-election. Best sometimes to just leave well enough alone.

I don't mean to tip you off your greedy Big Oil® soap box but do yourself a favor and check out the increasing price of oil over time vs the decreasing value of the U$ Dollar over the same period.

But yeah, it's all Big Oil®'s fault <_<

Because Americans want their instant gratification now!

Now!!! Now!!! Now!!! Now!!! Now!!! Now!!! Now!!!

Is it time to vote for American Idol® yet?

If we want instant gratification now....

....then why does anyone care if we also drill? Drilling doesn't do anything to stifle any immediate solution. That's the most illogical part of this. Drilling doesn't stop algae or wind or solar power, or what have you. Oh, wait for it.....

(idiot environtologist response)

.....the subsidies of the oil companies means that wind power as an alternative....is being stifled. :lol: Drilling is not a new idea. Windmills aren't old ideas. Because I said so.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

If we want instant gratification now....

....then why does anyone care if we also drill?

Because drilling requires waiting for the instant gratification

Oh, wait for it.....

American's don't like to wait

Did Snooki have her baby yet? America doesn't want to wait til next season for a Jersey Shore Baptismal

I don't mean to tip you off your greedy Big Oil® soap box but do yourself a favor and check out the increasing price of oil over time vs the decreasing value of the U$ Dollar over the same period.

But yeah, it's all Big Oil®'s fault <_<

Oh, don't forget this part of that:

"We need to raise the price of gas, towards the levels in Europe(which is $10), so that alternative energy APPEARS to be less expensive". - Energy Secretary Chu

Yes, this is all about appearances. :lol: You are asking us to choose not paying $2.50-80 for gas, sot that instead we can choose between $8.00 for gas, and $9.00 for some alternative, which we will be ok with, because 9 is only a little bit more than 8? :lol:

Is there anyone left to wonder how the policies these clowns keep pushing keep failing? The above quote is now #1 on my list. The "meaningful use" clause of Obamacare used to be #1. As if the word meaningful....is a standard, for anything. :lol: But Chu's irrationality is now #1.

1. Oil is a global traded commodity thus more drilling in the US doesn't lower prices unless you either produced enough to lower world prices or treat it as a domestic resource and sell it to Americans at a price below world market prices - as do countries like Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc etc. What extra drilling does is create some employment and whatever royalties, taxes etc you can get out of it.

2. Comparisons to natural gas are not valid because natural gas is as now not a globally traded commodity (may change in the future) but a domestically and regionally traded commodity.

With regards to oil prices the best thing Obama could do is tone down the war with Iran rhetoric and maybe rethink the sanctions against Iran's oil production, also since Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have cut oil production after promising to increase oil production he might think to call and say what the !@#$ is up with that. - with regards to gas prices (not the same thing as oil prices ) the most helpful thing would to be increasing refinery capacity or at least stop the decrease in refinery capacity, refinery bottlenecks probably contribute more to increases in gas prices than increased oil prices.

1. Oil is a global traded commodity thus more drilling in the US doesn't lower prices unless you either produced enough to lower world prices or treat it as a domestic resource and sell it to Americans at a price below world market prices - as do countries like Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc etc. What extra drilling does is create some employment and whatever royalties, taxes etc you can get out of it.

2. Comparisons to natural gas are not valid because natural gas is as now not a globally traded commodity (may change in the future) but a domestically and regionally traded commodity.

With regards to oil prices the best thing Obama could do is tone down the war with Iran rhetoric and maybe rethink the sanctions against Iran's oil production, also since Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have cut oil production after promising to increase oil production he might think to call and say what the !@#$ is up with that. - with regards to gas prices (not the same thing as oil prices ) the most helpful thing would to be increasing refinery capacity or at least stop the decrease in refinery capacity, refinery bottlenecks probably contribute more to increases in gas prices than increased oil prices.

You are dreaming if you think Obama will touch refining.

Entire careers as the EPA have been based on having all these various blends of gasoline, and then regulating and fining people for not following the regulations.

Yet another case of the bureaucracy expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.....

....but you think Valerie Jarrett and the rest of these Government First people are going to do anything that cuts into the means and reason for the existence of their buddies?

Dreaming.

EDiT: Christ this new keyboard sucks ass. U Suck Ass! :lol: That was funny in the other thread.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

If they want the price to come down they better stop buying gas. This should have been entitelment menatlity :gasoline addition.

Liberal thinking is child-like thinking. No personal responsibility, everyone else should be the same, someone else will/should take care of them, thinking how things should be and not how they are, no thought to the future, etc.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Of course more oil drilling would reduce the price of oil over the mid to long-term. This isn't rocket science, If there are 85 Million barrels of Demand a day for oil and 88 Million barrels of Supply, then there will be a price determined by the market. If you have 85 Million barrels of demand a day and 89 Million barrels of supply a day , based on the same conditions the price will be lower.

It's quite amazing to me to see the president attempt to ignore the laws of supply and demand, he really is saying that if you add to supply, that it won't affect prices. Who buys this ****? :doh:

Edited by Magox

You couldn't be further from the truth. Of course more oil drilling would reduce the price of oil over the mid to long-term. This isn't rocket science, If there are 85 Million barrels of Demand a day for oil and 88 Million barrels of Supply, then there will be a price determined by the market. If you have 85 Million barrels of demand a day and 89 Million barrels of supply a day , based on the same conditions the price will be lower.

It's quite amazing to me to see the president attempt to ignore the laws of supply and demand, he really is saying that if you add to supply, that it won't affect prices. Who buys this ****? :doh:

Isn't that obvious?

List:

1. ...lybob

2. The second coming of BF(just waiting for the new version to provide the basis for another retatta level thread)

3. The 20% of America who is trying to tell the 80% of the rest of us how to live, what to buy, and of course, that we aren't as smart as they are. Hence, only they are capable of bending the laws of supply and demand in ways that you low-brains cannot conceive, such that they are not only above such laws, they exist on an entirely different plane.

It's not that they ignore these laws, they simply don't feel the need to perceive them on their plane of existence, which, I assure you is a much more moral and compassionate one than yours.

Well...the health care bill was predicated on the belief that is you add demand it'll reduce prices. And demand is expected to grow less than expected, which is equivalent to a reduction (q.v.: "deficit reduction"). So the real reason prices are high is because not enough people are driving. If more people drove, demand would go up and prices would go down.

Don't believe me? Then why did oil prices start to spike so high when hybrid cars started becoming more main-stream?

Obama's a genius, I tell you. He's discovered completely new and different economic principles. He should add a Nobel for Economics to his Peace prize.

What suddenly struck me about Obama's position is that the way to bring down the cost of gas is to stop using it. And he has a point, right up to the minute that he tries to explain that by not using gas, the price will drop to a level we can afford to use it on the things we no longer need it for because we found other ways to get around without it.

How this guy managed to even organize a closet, let alone a community, is beyond me.

The truth is you can't read, reread what I wrote not what you think I meant.

The truth is you can't read, reread what I wrote not what you think I meant.

Actually, whats closer to the truth is that you aren't able to effectively express your thoughts without posting a youtube video. But if you wish, I will be more than happy to annoyingly break down your post sentence by sentence.

American consumers feel entitled to get a new car every 3 years, even if they are upside down on that car! Really, didn't we go through this 4 or so years ago. Even if consumers took out a bank note on that "cars for clunkers" thing... Shouldn't they be getting off paying the note? Isn't that gonna free up some extra gas money (on an already fuel efficient vehicle) and THEN SOME in the coming years to save for future transportation costs? What are they doing with the extra money? Going (presumably driving) to Disney World?

Actually, whats closer to the truth is that you aren't able to effectively express your thoughts without posting a youtube video. But if you wish, I will be more than happy to annoyingly break down your post sentence by sentence.

go for it

Your first sentence contradicts itself.

Oil is a global traded commodity thus more drilling in the US doesn't lower prices unless you either produced enough to lower world prices

On one hand you say that oil is a globally traded commodity and therefore drilling doesn't lower prices. On the otherhand you state "unless you either produced enough to lower the prices" What the !@#$ does that even mean? To characterize that statement as convoluted doesn't begin to describe my sentiment regarding the gibberish you just laid out. It's an utterly useless comment to make. More drilling doesn't lower prices unless you drill enough to lower prices? That's your argument? :wacko:

Then you say

or treat it as a domestic resource and sell it to Americans at a price below world market prices - as do countries like Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc etc.

Unless you meant to replace the word "or" with "and" then I could at least begin to see your point, not a logical one, but a point none-the-less. Even so, you would still be incorrect. But for the sake of argument, lets go with "or" as you stated, meaning a completely different direction. I'm not even quite sure where to begin.

We use more oil than we domestically produce, that's a fact. So knowing that fact you are suggesting that we would charge the portion that we produce here at a discounted rate? Oh yeah? Who picks up the rest of the tab? Afterall, in order for that to happen it would have to be subsidized by someone. What about the rest of the oil that we have to import? Would that be charged at a different price? If so, I suppose that would mean that we have some gas stations charging $4 a gallon gasoline and others (the subsidized ones) charging $2?

Well we know that wouldn't work, so basically the only option at this point would be to subsidize all oil imports as well? How would that work exactly? I suppose the government would cap what the refineries and oil companies in what they could charge, and would have to pay the oil companies the difference between the subsidized and market price. Right? Yeah, that wouldn't be expensive at all.

Unless of course you are suggesting that we nationalize the oil companies, therefore doing pretty much what we please with their products. Even this solution would still leave all the unresolved imported barrels of oil that the government would still have to subsidize. It is quite possible that this is what you were talking about considering you mentioned (Venezuela, Iran and Saudi Arabia)

But just for ***** and giggles, lets pretend in a Utopia youtube Lybob world, that drilling doesn't lower prices, unless of course you drill enough to lower prices and that all domestic oil could be sold at below market prices, subsidized by the American government. ummm ok, I'm having a hard time moving forward based on this premise, but because I said I would, we'll move forward.

The crux of the discussion is whether or not more drilling can lead to lower prices. So what was the point of this statement

What extra drilling does is create some employment and whatever royalties, taxes etc you can get out of it.

Well, since context matters, to rehash we've already established that drilling doesn't lower prices, unless you drill enough to lower price and/or that we strictly sell domestic oil below market prices.

I think it's kind of obvious, you don't believe that extra drilling doesn't lower prices, I mean you did afterall say as much, and you said

What extra drilling does is create some employment and whatever royalties, taxes etc you can get out of it.
implying that what extra drilling achieves are benefits such as employment, royalties and taxes. But no where did you mention lowering prices.

Then you go on to say

Nowhere did you mention that we should focus on more domestic oil drilling. You mention Saudi and Kuwait production, but nothing about ours. That doesn't make any sense, why leave ourselves in a position to where we have to grovel to the Saudis when we can produce more ourselves for the futur so we aren't quite in this predicament. Same goes for the "Iran rhetoric" argument, (not withstanding your incredibly naive isolationist view that allowing Iran to have a nuclear weapon that would very well begin a nuclear arms race in the middle east which would lead to even higher long-term prices) if we produced more oil domestically, that would lessen our reliance of oil from the Middle East. You see, for every extra barrel we produce here at home, that means we can import one less barrel. Yeah, it's true, thats how it works.

So if we are producing 13 M barrels a day and importing 10M, meanwhile global oil demand is 85M and production is 88M, if we can increase our production by another 25%, while keeping the demand flat because of conservation policies, that would increase global excess capacity by another 3-5%. What alot of people don't understand is that excess capacity is a huge determinant of prices, the less the excess, the higher the prices and more susceptible we are to large price spikes due to supply disruptions or fear of those disruptions, such as hurricanes, Nigerian militant chaos, middle eastern instability etc.

In short, Oil drilling otherwise known as supply isn't the only factor in dictating prices, but it is a pivotal one, and the more we drill, the more supplies we will increase, and the more we increase in our domestic supplies, the better position we will be in attempting to contain higher oil prices. It's true, despite you and the presidents willingness approach to ignoring the basic laws of supply and demand.

Edited by Magox

Today President Obama used his weekly radio and Internet address Saturday to underscore his administration’s work to develop alternative energy sources and increase fuel efficiency.

I’m going to keep doing everything I can to help you save money on gas, both right now and in the future,” Obama said. “I hope politicians from both sides of the aisle join me.”

(said with a straight face)

Today President Obama used his weekly radio and Internet address Saturday to underscore his administration’s work to develop alternative energy sources and increase fuel efficiency.

I’m going to keep doing everything I can to help you save money on gas, both right now and in the future,” Obama said. “I hope politicians from both sides of the aisle join me.”

(said with a straight face)

Did he say if he expected to develop alternative energy before this Summers spike in prices? Furthermore, he needs to immediately fire his Energy Secretary who would like gas prices in the $9-$10 range. Obviously Chu is working against the Cheap Energy President. I'm also glad to see that he hopes those Grandma killing Republicans will work with him and not block his efforts for cheap gas.

Did he say if he expected to develop alternative energy before this Summers spike in prices? Furthermore, he needs to immediately fire his Energy Secretary who would like gas prices in the $9-$10 range. Obviously Chu is working against the Cheap Energy President. I'm also glad to see that he hopes those Grandma killing Republicans will work with him and not block his efforts for cheap gas.

If Gasoline prices are above $4.50 a gasoline sometime in the midsummer, those words from Chu will come to haunt him. I mean it's not as if Chu made this comment when he was some young bafoon student activist, he said it in Dec of 2008, right before he was chosen to lead the US Energy policy. What he says is a direct extension of what Obama thinks, thats the way it should be viewed. There is no way around it, if I was a campaign or Super Pac strategist, I would wait to unload these words on the campaign trail, over and over and over and over and over. There are a bunch of ways to attack Obama's energy policy. Solyndra, Chevy Volt (at $10,000 a pop cost to taxpayer), other failed green companies, Keystone, drilling permits plummetting and then using his own words of how oil drilling doesn't lead to lower prices. All these things can easiy fit into a narrative of how Obama trumps his green ideology over pragmatism.

If Gasoline prices are above $4.50 a gasoline sometime in the midsummer, those words from Chu will come to haunt him. I mean it's not as if Chu made this comment when he was some young bafoon student activist, he said it in Dec of 2008, right before he was chosen to lead the US Energy policy. What he says is a direct extension of what Obama thinks, thats the way it should be viewed. There is no way around it, if I was a campaign or Super Pac strategist, I would wait to unload these words on the campaign trail, over and over and over and over and over. There are a bunch of ways to attack Obama's energy policy. Solyndra, Chevy Volt (at $10,000 a pop cost to taxpayer), other failed green companies, Keystone, drilling permits plummetting and then using his own words of how oil drilling doesn't lead to lower prices. All these things can easiy fit into a narrative of how Obama trumps his green ideology over pragmatism.

And Exxon-Mobil's 2Q earnings statement trumps ALL of that.

Interesting article on the Keystone pipeline:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46689167/ns/us_news-christian_science_monitor/

Interesting article, but too long for me to read through all the bu11sh1t in it....

It's based on the thought, that if we don't earmark Keystone oil for the US, it will make no difference, am I right??

Major problem with that thought however, is OPEC itself.... When the price of oil drops below what they want, they reduce production right? Driving up the price, based on what most of us dread as supply and demand. That drop in production then leads to higher prices once again.

Keystone, as well as any "friendly", and domestic production, leads to a constant in that oil supply, and I would argue, has a major effect that potentially, trumps the monopoly effect of OPEC, or any of it's members that get a wild hair; setting the market.

Simple really.... The more you can do for yourself, the less control others have over you....

Interesting article, but too long for me to read through all the bu11sh1t in it....

It's based on the thought, that if we don't earmark Keystone oil for the US, it will make no difference, am I right??

Major problem with that thought however, is OPEC itself.... When the price of oil drops below what they want, they reduce production right? Driving up the price, based on what most of us dread as supply and demand. That drop in production then leads to higher prices once again.

Keystone, as well as any "friendly", and domestic production, leads to a constant in that oil supply, and I would argue, has a major effect that potentially, trumps the monopoly effect of OPEC, or any of it's members that get a wild hair; setting the market.

Simple really.... The more you can do for yourself, the less control others have over you....

Well, you should of maybe read the whole article, and you wouldn't of had to type quite so much.