Stevie 1st WR in franchise history to post back to back 1,000 yard sea

I keep hearing this...

Is it true?

It's hard to believe to me that both Andre Reed or Eric Moulds didn't do this during their career.

You heard it right. First ever in Bills history from what I hear too. Yet he's not a #1 WR?!?!?! Right....Reed was our #1 and we were running the K gun for Christ sake. No one will argue that Mould was a #1 WR in the league. But SJ is not a true 1# ???

:wallbash:

Edited by Dopey

both those guys had small dip years in between some monsters.

i believe moulds had a 995 sandwiched between some 1200+ and was all told about 50 yards away from 5-6 straight

reed had a similar run with some mid 900s alternating in a much harder league to pass in

stevie got 1004(?) this year - to help keep in perspective.

You heard it right. First ever in Bills history from what I hear too. Yet he's not a #1 WR?!?!?! Right....Reed was our #1 and we were running the K gun for Christ sake. No one will argue that Mould was a #1 WR in the league. But SJ is not a true 1# ???

both those guys had small dip years in between some monsters.

i believe moulds had a 995 sandwiched between some 1200+ and was all told about 50 yards away from 5-6 straight

reed had a similar run with some mid 900s alternating in a much harder league to pass in

stevie got 1004(?) this year - to help keep in perspective.

Exactly. It is a different, considerably more passing game now. Plus Gailey has been pass happy particularly with his 5-wide thing last season.

I think Johnson is a capable receiver that has been immature in the past (which hopefully is behind him now), and has had a bad tendency to drop the big ones (I REALLY hope this is behind him now).

I'm glad he is going to remain a Bill, and at a fair price to everyone. But thinking he is one of the greatest ever based on this one stat does not make sense to me.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think this fact relates to two things:

The league is obviously a very different type of league vs. any other time in Bills history.

The Bills of the glory years had so many offensive weapons to choose from.

How cool would it be to see those teams play in today's league?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Keep in mind that while running the K-Gun, we jumped up on a lot teams so quickly that we basically took our foot off the gas and ran the clock. Kelly was also great at spreading the ball around. A combination of those 2 things kept Reed from having back to back 1000 yard seasons...and possibly from already being in the HOF (which is an absolute travesty). I do agree that SJ13 is a #1 WR. He may not be elite like Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitz, but few are. Is there a DB in the league that can cover him 1 on 1 and shut him down? Revis, who is arguably the best CB in the NFL, couldn't do it. Just imagine if we get some better receiving threats around him.

Exactly. It is a different, considerably more passing game now. Plus Gailey has been pass happy particularly with his 5-wide thing last season.

I think Johnson is a capable receiver that has been immature in the past (which hopefully is behind him now), and has had a bad tendency to drop the big ones (I REALLY hope this is behind him now).

I'm glad he is going to remain a Bill, and at a fair price to everyone. But thinking he is one of the greatest ever based on this one stat does not make sense to me.

I think there is some confusion here. I'll try to clear it up. From what I've read here, there is the camp that says he's not a #1 and the camp that says he is. The camp that says he's not seems to think the other camp says that he is "Elite" or the best on the Bills ever, or top ten. What we are saying is that he is a #1 receiver in this league, today. Not Elite, not the best, not top 10, not the bset Bill ever,but a #1 receiver in this league. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dopey

I think there is some confusion here. I'll try to clear it up. From what I've read here, there is the camp that says he's not a #1 and the camp that says he is. The camp that says he's not seems to think the other camp says that he is "Elite" or the best on the Bills ever, or top ten. What we are saying is that he is a #1 receiver in this league, today. Not Elite, not the best, not top 10, not the bset Bill ever,but a #1 receiver in this league. Hope this helps.

Fair enough. I think we place him similarly but speak about it in different terms. Which is fine. 10-20 is definitely number 1 material. Ranking at that point is nearly silly between schemes, skill sets, qbs.... It is average number 1 material though. We need him, I like him.

I just wish we had some more elite playmakers that are notable around the league.

Gotcha. Well my definition of a "#1" for a WR would include to catch the big ones and not take stupid "look at me" penalties.

So no, to me he has not been one to date. No reason to believe he could not become one as soon as this season though.

Reed was a #1 WR on a team with a lot of weapons that didnt put up the ridiculous passing numbers we are seeing today and of course liked to run the ball

Moulds suffered from poor QB play most of his career

and lets not get crazy here, i like Stevie but its not like he put up back to back 1600 yard seasons, he barely cracked 1000 yards this year in a pass heavy offense

Fair enough. I think we place him similarly but speak about it in different terms. Which is fine. 10-20 is definitely number 1 material. Ranking at that point is nearly silly between schemes, skill sets, qbs.... It is average number 1 material though. We need him, I like him.

I just wish we had some more elite playmakers that are notable around the league.

I hear ya on the last thought. If we stay healthy, we could have SJ, Fredex and/or Spiller. Maybe even Fitz. Only if we stay healthy.

Gotcha. Well my definition of a "#1" for a WR would include to catch the big ones and not take stupid "look at me" penalties.

So no, to me he has not been one to date. No reason to believe he could not become one as soon as this season though.

unfortunately for your argument, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Chad Ochocinco all prove you wrong.