tgregg and Mark Vader are in trouble...

Just Jack

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that any comfort to a family of six who paid nearly $100 for seats to see Dr. Seuss' The Lorax last weekend? Probably not. That's not even counting the concessions.

People pay $16 for a movie ticket...? :unsure:

I've never really understood the need people have to buy candy and food for a 2hr movie to begin with. Whenever I hit the theaters, I get the same thing every time:The largest size Cherry Coke on ice that they have. It typically costs me around $5, but often times the cup is reusable and it's a lot of pop. I just don't have interest in fumbling around with food or candy in the dark when I can just as easily grab a bite before or after the flick. Besides, having seen up close the way popcorn is treated there, it's not very palatable to begin with.

I've never really understood the need people have to buy candy and food for a 2hr movie to begin with. Whenever I hit the theaters, I get the same thing every time:The largest size Cherry Coke on ice that they have. It typically costs me around $5, but often times the cup is reusable and it's a lot of pop. I just don't have interest in fumbling around with food or candy in the dark when I can just as easily grab a bite before or after the flick. Besides, having seen up close the way popcorn is treated there, it's not very palatable to begin with.

I'm like you. I just get the big drink. I'm a bit of a sucker though. Those drinks are way too big (I call them diabetes in a cup), yet I still get the big one because "it's only 25 cents more". I understand the candy though. That seems like more of a tradition than anything. The confusing stuff is all that other food they sell now; pizza, nachos, chicken fingers... If you want all that bar food, go to a random small restaurant. You'll get higher quality and not at movie theater prices.

maybe they saw the 3D version ($$$).

But hey, the head of the 3D movie association(yes its real) has come out and promised they would never raise the price of 3D movies. Personally, for most movies, I don't think the extra $$ for 3D makes it that much more enjoyable. I've been to 2: Avatar, Coroline. I just hate the whole 3D movement being shoved down my throat. Fortunately, the 3D TV market has flopped and experts think 3D tv's will be gone soon.

I'm like you. I just get the big drink. I'm a bit of a sucker though. Those drinks are way too big (I call them diabetes in a cup), yet I still get the big one because "it's only 25 cents more". I understand the candy though. That seems like more of a tradition than anything. The confusing stuff is all that other food they sell now; pizza, nachos, chicken fingers... If you want all that bar food, go to a random small restaurant. You'll get higher quality and not at movie theater prices.

Yep, it's pretty funny when you look at the prices for the drinks. You're exactly right that's it's like a quarter difference between each one, lol. You can have some a small for $4.25 or the huge one for $5.00...makes the decision an easy one for me :D And I don't know what it is, but a big cherry coke on ice just tastes better at the theater...I have no idea why...probably just in my head, but I do tend to enjoy that during the movie.

Fortunately, the 3D TV market has flopped and experts think 3D tv's will be gone soon.

Where'd you get that from...? Most TVs have 3D built in nowadays, and there's big money being spent on glasses-free 3DTVs that actually work well. I'm not a fan of 3D, but to say it's going to be gone soon doesn't seem accurate to me, especially after being at CES.

We bring our own stuff in, usually water, candy for the kids, popcorn sometimes. One time I even brought in a couple egg mcmuffins.

For candy and water, we do as well. However, my old man never ever never let us buy popcorn at the movies, so ever since I started my paper route and had my own money I get popcorn every time I am at the movies..and i do mean every time!

Funny thing I have noticed..think Dollar Store has figured the high cost thing at movies out..I swear every theatre now has a Doller Store right next to it..I know for one I appreciate it being right there....same box of as at the movies too!

And Fez i thnk you are right on the 3D TV..people said HD was going away in the early stages as well...was more a matter of content

I've brought in Taco Bell and Arby's before, just the food, not drinks. The biggest drink I'll get is the medium because if I get the large i'll need the bathroom before the movie is over.

When we had Hoyt's around here if you bought a large it came in a reusable plastic cup with free refills. So we'd bring the cups back every movie we saw, definitely got my money's worth out of that. (side note - Regal bought all the Hoyt's locations here in Syracuse several years ago, but if you pay by CC, your statement still says Hoyts)

Where'd you get that from...? Most TVs have 3D built in nowadays, and there's big money being spent on glasses-free 3DTVs that actually work well. I'm not a fan of 3D, but to say it's going to be gone soon doesn't seem accurate to me, especially after being at CES.

From what I've read and heard(used to be in TV Sales and I worked in the post-production side of movies/tvs) the 3D TV sales aren't going as well as hoped. The market just isn't developing. Glasses-free? That would basically be hologram TV?, haven't heard any real development in that. Besides projection into fog, which disney has been doing for years, its holographic. Not sure if that is what you meant. The way the current 3d technology works(which is with light wave lengths) glasses-free seems a way off IMO.

Edited by Wayne333

The AMC I go to actually has a bar and so

do a few of the Cinemarks.

There's a place out here that sells alcohol, but every time I walk by, I always see parents bringing in a flock of children... That's actually beginning to make sense to me now.