Bills to be more aggressive in free agency

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still wondering what that means to Nix. I can't see the Bills offering to make Mario Williams the richest defensive player in NFL history (which is what it would take to sign him). More likely it means going hard after someone like Jeremy Mincey at 4:01 p.m. on March 13. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I just don't equate "aggresiveness" with "big names" in Nix's book.

I would be happy with Mincey. He had a good season last yr playing on week D line.

If we add a Guy like Mericulus to that then our D line will be set.

I love the SJ signing for so many reasons. First and foremost, the Bills did not overpay him. This helps set the tone for some possible other FA.

The belief, by many,has been that the Bills have to 'overpay' for a player to come to Buffalo. They did not w SJ and he showed some loyalty to the Bills by not testing FA. Showing some of the other soon-to-be FA, Buffalo is a great place to play.

I think Nix is a WISE old man. He has probably over paid for things in his life, like many of us have.

I do not think he will over pay. No, i do not think they will make a play for Mario Williams, sorry. But they will find the 'Nick Barnett's' of FA...and that aint bad, is it?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

NO - BECAUSE YOU AND YOUR FELLOWS HAVE BEEN CONTINUOUSLY IMPLYING NIX IS A LIAR WITH NO EVIDENCE.

It's not quite as bad as the idiots here who like to mock him for his age, or his southern accent, but it's pretty tiresome.

Move south - get some sunshine, a better economy, and a brighter outlook. You can live down here near DC and hear how people whine about an owner who blows all his draft picks and cap space chasing big name veterans instead - great change of pace.

None, except for the fact that they've stated repeatedly that for this season they intend to make an exception to their usual practice.

Yawn yourself.

Okay, the Bills have repeatedly said it and you have repeatedly reported it. Now it MUST happen, because the Bills may lose, but they never lie.

That's the spirit. :doh: Did we sign anyone today?

PTR

Signing your own guys does not equal being aggressive in free agency. It's not quite as tough when you have no competition.

Okay, the Bills have repeatedly said it and you have repeatedly reported it. Now it MUST happen, because the Bills may lose, but they never lie.

I was pretty clear about it but you didn't read it apparently.

IF Nix doesn't come through - I'll be in line with everyone else ripping him for BS-ing us.

All I'm asking is for some evidence Nix won't do what he says before insisting he won't based on a lot of stuff that doesn't apply.

Got ANY???

Yawn. I refuse to believe buddy's claims until i see some top tier free agents being paraded to the media at OBD in their new Bills jersey. No reason to believe that littman, overdorf and the rest of the financial guys are all of a sudden going to let the Bills spend as they wish in free agency.

+ 1

10 wins in 2 seasons: not good.

They want to sell season tickets and bringing in even a couple mid-level free agents will be enough for the insatiable hordes.

+ 1

10 wins in 2 seasons: not good.

They want to sell season tickets and bringing in even a couple mid-level free agents will be enough for the insatiable hordes.

Sweet - so now you get to declare who is mid-level vs. top-tier after the fact in order to call them liars and whine about it no matter what happens?

Maybe we should make that list up front - seriously - add to this list with who is/isn't good enough:

Who's a good enough pass rusher for you?

Mario

Avril? Just got tagged

Mathis?

Freeney

Calais Campbell tagged

Abraham (really old)

Vonnie Holliday (ARZ) - DE

Kroy Biermann (ATL) - DE

Cory Redding (BAL) - DE

Israel Idonije (CHI) - DE

Victor Adeyanju (CIN) - DE

Frostee Rucker (CIN) - DE

Derrick Harvey (DEN) - DE

Jason Hunter (DEN) - DE

Tim Bulman (HOU) - DE

Jamaal Anderson (IND) - DE

Tyler Brayton (IND) - DE

Jeremy Mincey (JAC) - DE

Matt Roth (JAC) - DE

Wallace Gilberry (KC) - DE

Kendall Langford (MIA) - DE

Phillip Merling (MIA) - DE

Igor Olshansky (MIA) - DE

Mark Anderson (NE) - DE

Andre Carter (NE) - DE

Shaun Ellis (NE) - DE

Eric Moore (NE) - DE

Jeff Charleston (NO) - DE

Turk McBride (NO) - DE

Dave Tollefson (NYG) - DE

Jarvis Moss (OAK) - DE

Trevor Scott (OAK) - DE

Victor Abiamiri (PHI) - DE

Juqua Parker (PHI) - DE

Aaron Smith (PIT) - DE

Raheem Brock (SEA) - DE

Anthony Hargrove (SEA) - DE

Jovan Haye (TB) - DE

Dave Ball (TEN) - DE

William Hayes (TEN) - DE

Adam Carriker (WAS) - DE

Kedric Golston (WAS) - DE

Marcus Benard (CLE) - DE - Restricted

Clifton Geathers (DAL) - DE - Exclusive Rights

Will Tukuafu (SF) - DE - Exclusive Rights

C.J. Ah You (STL) - DE - Restricted

Michael Bennett (TB) - DE - Restricted

Who's a good enough WR for you?

Is VJ good enough?

Colston?

Bowe?

Garcon?

Meachem?

Manningham?

Lloyd?

Wayne?

There's a serious question as to whether there will be ANY top-tier pass rushers available at all in FA, btw. I suppose we can blame Nix for that.

Edited by BobChalmers

Sweet - so now you get to declare who is mid-level vs. top-tier after the fact in order to call them liars and whine about it no matter what happens?

Huh? :blink: After the fact? I'm saying it now.

Bring in some difference makers and then tell me all about it. Unitl then, it's all just more talk.

And if Nix really believes the Bills are close to making the playoffs, he's delusional.

Bring in some difference makers and then tell me all about it. Unitl then, it's all just more talk.

No, YOU HAVEN'T SAID ANYTHING YET ABOUT WHO IS OR ISN'T TOP-TIER. By giving your qualifier of top-tier/mid-level you are waiting for after they sign them so you can rag on them anyway.

The list is up there - who's good enough for you?

And if Nix really believes the Bills are close to making the playoffs, he's delusional.

How are we not?

Up until injuries set in for us, we proved to be a very competitive team. If all we have to do is plug maybe two holes and shore up depth, then I don't see that as being "far" from the playoffs.

The question is... will we do that? And what will other teams in the AFC/East do?

Maybe we should make that list up front - seriously - add to this list with who is/isn't good enough:

Who's a good enough pass rusher for you?

Mario

Avril? Just got tagged

Mathis?

Freeney

Calais Campbell tagged

Abraham (really old)Vonnie Holliday (ARZ) - DE

Kroy Biermann (ATL) - DECory Redding (BAL) - DE

Israel Idonije (CHI) - DE

Victor Adeyanju (CIN) - DE

Frostee Rucker (CIN) - DE

Derrick Harvey (DEN) - DE

Jason Hunter (DEN) - DE

Tim Bulman (HOU) - DE

Jamaal Anderson (IND) - DE

Tyler Brayton (IND) - DE

Jeremy Mincey (JAC) - DE

Matt Roth (JAC) - DE

Wallace Gilberry (KC) - DE

Kendall Langford (MIA) - DE

Phillip Merling (MIA) - DE

Igor Olshansky (MIA) - DE

Mark Anderson (NE) - DE

Andre Carter (NE) - DE

Shaun Ellis (NE) - DE

Eric Moore (NE) - DE

Jeff Charleston (NO) - DE

Turk McBride (NO) - DE

Dave Tollefson (NYG) - DE

Jarvis Moss (OAK) - DE

Trevor Scott (OAK) - DE

Victor Abiamiri (PHI) - DE

Juqua Parker (PHI) - DE

Aaron Smith (PIT) - DE

Raheem Brock (SEA) - DE

Anthony Hargrove (SEA) - DE

Jovan Haye (TB) - DE

Dave Ball (TEN) - DE

William Hayes (TEN) - DE

Adam Carriker (WAS) - DE

Kedric Golston (WAS) - DE

Marcus Benard (CLE) - DE - Restricted

Clifton Geathers (DAL) - DE - Exclusive Rights

Will Tukuafu (SF) - DE - Exclusive Rights

C.J. Ah You (STL) - DE - Restricted

Michael Bennett (TB) - DE - Restricted

Who's a good enough WR for you?

Is VJ good enough?

Colston?

Bowe?

Garcon?

Meachem?

Manningham?

Lloyd?

Wayne?

There's a serious question as to whether there will be ANY top-tier pass rushers available at all in FA, btw. I suppose we can blame Nix for that.

I know Abraham is Old but he has 'situational pass rusher' written all over him. 15-20 snaps a game.

The guy is in great shape at 34.Has not been injury plagued. Would be an instant upgrade over any DE the Bills have this year and probably next. He brought it the last two years. Teams will use his age for only signing a two year deal.

And Biermann fits Wanny's high intensity profile. Either one of those guys would be great.

I don't know about that- and I'm the realest of the realists- take last years team add a pass rusher from free agency (Mario William, Cliff Avril, Mark Anderson maybe even Merriman) Add a WR Michael Floyd, get a few LBs who can run Lavonte David, Mychal Kendricks, Bruce Irving - then put a healthy Kyle Williams next to Dareus and I say you got a team that can win 10 games.

Of course they got to resign Bell and Chandler at least and Scott and Morrison would be nice too

Move south - get some sunshine, a better economy, and a brighter outlook. You can live down here near DC and hear how people whine about an owner who blows all his draft picks and cap space chasing big name veterans instead - great change of pace.

Danny Snyder has not been involved in the footbal operation or interfered in the operation since the hiring of Mike Shanahan. As you know last year Shanahan worked hard to get more picks, not less. He has moved a lot of the expensive veterans off the roster and has gotten the roster much younger.

As it stands the Skins are dramatically under the cap, not near to being over it as you stated. The calculation of cap space can be very fluid when trying to determine the status of any particular team. But as it presently stands the Skins are in the vicinity of being 45-47 million $$ under the cap, give or take a milllion or two $$$.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2012/2/17/2804886/washington-redskins-nfl-free-agency-2012

I don't know about that- and I'm the realest of the realists- take last years team add a pass rusher from free agency (Mario William, Cliff Avril, Mark Anderson maybe even Merriman) Add a WR Michael Floyd, get a few LBs who can run Lavonte David, Mychal Kendricks, Bruce Irving - then put a healthy Kyle Williams next to Dareus and I say you got a team that can win 10 games.

Of course they got to resign Bell and Chandler at least and Scott and Morrison would be nice too

Avril got tagged this morning.

I think they're going to let Bell test the market - with his injury history it's hard to imagine a team would want to give him much if anything up front.

If they "lose" Bell I think the chances they draft an OLT with the #10 go way up.

Danny Snyder has not been involved in the footbal operation or interfered in the operation since the hiring of Mike Shanahan. As you know last year Shanahan worked hard to get more picks, not less. He has moved a lot of the expensive veterans off the roster and has gotten the roster much younger.

As it stands the Skins are dramatically under the cap, not near to being over it as you stated. The calculation of cap space can be very fluid when trying to determine the status of any particular team. But as it presently stands the Skins are in the vicinity of being 45-47 million $$ under the cap, give or take a milllion or two $$$.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2012/2/17/2804886/washington-redskins-nfl-free-agency-2012

Good point - Shanny's been the first coach to get Danny boy under control.

Edited by BobChalmers

Those types of moves would help, but there's just no strong or dominant unit on this team.

o O-line is still a big questions mark. What's the starting lineup next year? Who goes down again?

o QB is still a big question mark in my mind. Fitz has proved prone to the big mistake and INT.

o WR. Showed some promise early, but they do need a go-to recevier. I agree.

o D-line is still a work in progress. Bills have lacked a pash rush for so long I almost forget what one looks like. They probably need 2 DE's in reality.

o LB corp: I don't know. Who starts where in the 4-3?

o Secondary is getting old very quick. But they do have some young guys that show some promise. We'll see.

o The entire D is getting old. Look at all the guys 30 and over on this D.

There's going to be some adjustment going back to the 4-3 I would imagine, and Chan has shown to be a liability as O coordinator

with his inability to adjust IMO.

That's a lot of things to overcome and win 10 or 11 games and make the playoffs if you ask me.

Yeah - and the DE spot is going to be tough. It's a bad year to need that position.

I can't imagine bringing in a FA DE this season without "overpaying" given how bad the prospects look in the draft. Having said that, they may just do it - we'll see.

I'm just glad my son's new SJ #13 jersey of last year isn't already wasted! Yay for five more years of use. (He's in college now so it should continue to fit)

I get it BC. You believe in Buddy Nix and don't understand why others don't. My opinion is based in their 10-22 record in 2010-11, starter and depth needs all over the field, and a history the past 4 off-seasons of not spending on free agents. It is for these reasons and others that I don't trust the organization to do the right thing, not just Nix.

Buddy ultimately reports to Jeff Littmann, who controls RW's piggy bank. If you think Nix operates unilaterally and with a budget comparable to the average team, you'd be wrong. And it's mystifying why you're concerned with RW's money, as this is the built-in excuse why Buffalo can't be in the sweepstakes for a key free agent.

No one's talking about spending 100M on a guy like Mario Williams or otherwise the off-season being failure. I want to see the team build, not merely replace players and keep on a flat trajectory and there are a few players who might fit and get them above being mediocre. Because that's what they've been since 2000.