Mike Schoop explains himself regarding "rudeness"

bbb

Hello Cantankerous, how are you?

If people on this forum greeted each new poster in a thread, it would be ridiculous. That is the equivalent of what people are doing on the radio. (I anticipate people saying "that would be great, so much more civil" etc., but it wouldn't. It would get annoying). In fact, maybe the polite people here should try that, and see how it wears on them? Every new poster, in every thread. I'm certain even the most polite here would eventually stop that foolishness, but it would be fun to see.

I listen to lots of sports radio. You can hear the annoyance in the voice, and can feel them pushing to get things going, be it JT the Brick, Dan Patrick, or whoever (I know Schoop is a bad example because he is so disliked here). I know it seems small in individual cases, but over and over it's not good radio.

The caller is not there to have a personal conversation, they are in a forum, and there to give an opinion.

I see the point you are making.. i just dont think its the same thing. Exchanging pleasantries over the phone takes literally 2 seconds.

This guy's job in part depends on people calling in. Can you imagine if they sat there with not a single person to talk to? The least he can do is let the caller proceed in the fashion they see best.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about? Kornheiser doesn't take any callers at all.

I am talking about the old days, even before his ESPN gig..when he first started on 980..going back to the mid 90's. He would always start his show by saying

"i am fine today, so please do not ask how I am doing". If someone got on and asked the question, he dumped the call.

You notice what I did there? ;)

I think so...thank you!

A by product of the Possibility of the Bills leaving town would be the down sizing of WGR and the buffalo news. Who do you think makes the cut and who gets cut out of Schopp Bulldog White Simon Sullivan Graham and Gaughn ??

My bet is on Gaughn seeing that he was let go at least 5 years ago.

I am talking about the old days, even before his ESPN gig..when he first started on 980..going back to the mid 90's. He would always start his show by saying

"i am fine today, so please do not ask how I am doing". If someone got on and asked the question, he dumped the call.

I can hear Mr. Tony saying that. His show is the best thing on the air right now, IMO, although a lot of people on here wouldn't like it since it's only about 60% sports.

I love that he doesn't take calls (I don't care what callers have to say), he doesn't interview athletes because you know what they are going to say and it couldn't be more boring, and instead has top notch guests with opinions.

Maybe Mike should say the thing that Tony did at the top of the show. I think it's stupid - it takes one second to say Good. And, like Rome has harped on, nobody cares how you're doing - it's a !@#$ing salutation, same as Hello or Hi.

I see the point you are making.. i just dont think its the same thing. Exchanging pleasantries over the phone takes literally 2 seconds.

This guy's job in part depends on people calling in. Can you imagine if they sat there with not a single person to talk to? The least he can do is let the caller proceed in the fashion they see best.

His job does not depend on people calling in. It is part of the format (I bet he would like to do away with it, but the station probably insists).

The thing is the conversations do get extended, not necessarily very long, but repeatedly it adds up. How many times have you heard just the greeting get flubbed?

Caller: "How are you"

Host: "we are fine"

Caller: "what?"

Host: "I said "we are fine", what's your question"

Host: "oh, I am fine too, I wanted to talk about this Favre thing"

Host: "yes, we know, that is what we have been talking about for the last hour. What did you want to say?"

These exchanges are bad, bad, bad radio.

If it was something more than a greeting, then I can see Mike's point.

His job does not depend on people calling in. It is part of the format (I bet he would like to do away with it, but the station probably insists).

The thing is the conversations do get extended, not necessarily very long, but repeatedly it adds up. How many times have you heard just the greeting get flubbed?

Host: "yes, we know, that is what we have been talking about for the last hour. What did you want to say?"

Not many.

Why do you think that is; to lower ratings? If the station wants him to take calls then he shouldnt pout about it. Its his job and he is getting paid to do it. Obviously his boss feels taking calls attracts more listeners.

As for the exchange...

Caller: Hi how are you?

Host: I'm good. What are your thoughts on the Favre thing?"

Proceed.

If a caller asks what or has his radio on or something like that is totally different but how often does that really happen on average.

God forbid someone cuts into their "food draft" by forcing Schopp to say "I'm good, thanks". That would be bad radio.

I have spoken to people who have attended multiple functions with Schopp, and they say he has the same rude, elitist attitude off the air as he has on the air. So, it's not all about not wanting to waste precious seconds of top notch sports wisdom, it's about this guy really just is a jerk. I feel sorry for him.

Edited by billieve79

I honestly don't think he's a jerk, and have been told he's not. I met him once when he worked for WNSA, and shook his hand and exchanged pleasantries..........Now,looking back, I should have said "Get to the point!" instead. :D

Why do you think that is; to lower ratings? If the station wants him to take calls then he shouldnt pout about it. Its his job and he is getting paid to do it. Obviously his boss feels taking calls attracts more listeners.

As for the exchange...

Caller: Hi how are you?

Host: I'm good. What are your thoughts on the Favre thing?"

Proceed.

If a caller asks what or has his radio on or something like that is totally different but how often does that really happen on average.

Hello Danny, how are you?

It's not just Schoop though, think outside of Buffalo. It's ALL HOSTS of shows. They don't like it, and why do you think that is?

Hello Danny, how are you?

It's not just Schoop though, think outside of Buffalo. It's ALL HOSTS of shows. They don't like it, and why do you think that is?

Great Matthew!! Thanks for asking!! :lol:

I cant agree with your statement that all hosts hate it. I listen to hosts on the radio who dont seem to mind it at all.

Now please stay on the line, my screener is going to get your info and send you a free shirt.

The part about not wanting to waste a second answering How are ya? is ridiculous and he says that even his colleagues seem to think so. Bulldog has gotten in on that, but seems to have backed down lately.

What they don't seem to grasp is that simple idea that when two people "meet" - they exchange salutations - sometimes it's Hi or Hello, but more often than not, it's How ya doing or How are ya?

Nobody cares how you're really doing - you just say good, and move on. A person calling in may be nervous or even if not, they will still feel the need to greet you.....Saying good wastes less than a second. Whereas I've heard them stew for half a minute because the guy would have the audacity to ask such a stupid question:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/other/article748321.ece

IMO, he is right about the howdoyado's......in theory. If his objective is to become a nationally syndicated host, it makes sense.

I'm thinking that's not happening though. When he started in radio there was opportunity for advancement in his field that no longer exists.

If he's not going anywhere, he should just embrace the area and cater to the listeners.

It's a fairly secure job in an area strong in his demographic. A lot of unemployement, even more under-employment and lots of colleges.

He's worried about boring them? These people are listening to the radio for 3-4 hours for information they could get in 30 seconds on the internet if they had anything better to do. Every business should have it that easy. Keep it simple.

IMO, he is right about the howdoyado's......in theory. If his objective is to become a nationally syndicated host, it makes sense.

I'm thinking that's not happening though. When he started in radio there was opportunity for advancement in his field that no longer exists.

If he's not going anywhere, he should just embrace the area and cater to the listeners.

It's a fairly secure job in an area strong in his demographic. A lot of unemployement, even more under-employment and lots of colleges.

He's worried about boring them? These people are listening to the radio for 3-4 hours for information they could get in 30 seconds on the internet if they had anything better to do. Every business should have it that easy. Keep it simple.

That's what I always say when people here want more sports talk. At one point, I probably did, but that was before the internet, where you can have all the sports talk and info you can possibly want.

Hello Stadium Wall Posters, I hope you are having a great day!

Here is a snippet from a communications book. I'm not sure how well it will link, but scroll to "The Short Hello". It really says it all...

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZvYLwStxW80C&pg=PA170&lpg=PA170&dq=radio+callers+host+greeting&source=bl&ots=b7HaK9kAwA&sig=oMud32oMq0PxW3idpjVXFVwNpMM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=G_JTT-y3A4qYiQKT0tDhBg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=radio%20callers%20host%20greeting&f=false

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Hello Cantankerous, how are you?

If people on this forum greeted each new poster in a thread, it would be ridiculous. That is the equivalent of what people are doing on the radio. (I anticipate people saying "that would be great, so much more civil" etc., but it wouldn't. It would get annoying). In fact, maybe the polite people here should try that, and see how it wears on them? Every new poster, in every thread. I'm certain even the most polite here would eventually stop that foolishness, but it would be fun to see.

I listen to lots of sports radio. You can hear the annoyance in the voice, and can feel them pushing to get things going, be it JT the Brick, Dan Patrick, or whoever (I know Schoop is a bad example because he is so disliked here). I know it seems small in individual cases, but over and over it's not good radio.

The caller is not there to have a personal conversation, they are in a forum, and there to give an opinion.

Good afternoon Bag. You're full of it.

:lol:

Hello Stadium Wall Posters, I hope you are having a great day!

Here is a snippet from a communications book. I'm not sure how well it will link, but scroll to "The Short Hello". It really says it all...

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZvYLwStxW80C&pg=PA170&lpg=PA170&dq=radio+callers+host+greeting&source=bl&ots=b7HaK9kAwA&sig=oMud32oMq0PxW3idpjVXFVwNpMM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=G_JTT-y3A4qYiQKT0tDhBg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=radio%20callers%20host%20greeting&f=false

GR has Nascar shows on most nights that I'll end up listening to for 5 minutes or so because it's too hard to switch station where a few of my radios are.

They'll have drivers on, and callers. Eli Gold is usually the host. And, they get into these things you're talking about. "Dale, how are you doing? You are my favorite driver. Eli this is a great show, etc." and Eli will have to put a stop to it and say what is your question.

I get that being a problem. But, it is such a rare exception on local radio, etc. that saying any form of Hi is fine.

Hello Beerball,

I hope you extend greeting to EVERY new poster, on every new topic. Eventually you will see how tedious and unnecessary it is.

The subject on greetings on radio shows comes up on many radio shows. It's a constant annoyance to radio hosts. I'm not the only person that feels that way. Why does it bother you that I feel that way, Beerball? I presented an outside opinion from a person with at least enough authority on the subject to author a book on it. That makes me full of it? Instead, you guys want to riff on Mike Schoop, who is merely a local representative of the sports media. It is you, and people like you that can't seem understand that it isn't a personal phone conversation.

Maybe you want to present some more slow thinkers to back up YOUR side of this argument? I am coming from the perspective of the hosts. They are trying to keep their shows MOVING, and THEY KNOW WHAT IS BAD FOR RATINGS. You can argue with me, but I know I'm right, and there are more examples FROM MEDIA ANALYSTS THAT SUPPORT MY STANCE.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Hello Beerball,

I hope you extend greeting to EVERY new poster, on every new topic. Eventually you will see how tedious and unnecessary it is.

The subject on greetings on radio shows comes up on many radio shows. It's a constant annoyance to radio hosts. I'm not the only person that feels that way. Why does it bother you that I feel that way, Beerball? I presented an outside opinion from a person with at least enough authority on the subject to author a book on it. That makes me full of it? Instead, you guys want to riff on Mike Schoop, who is merely a local representative of the sports media. It is you, and people like you that can't seem understand that it isn't a personal phone conversation.

Maybe you want to present some more slow thinkers to back up YOUR side of this argument?

There's an enormous difference between the immediacy of spoken communication and a message board, where people are expected to answer at their convenience often hours and days later.

Heck, even on the shout box, posters often greet each other and say goodbye.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

There's an enormous difference between the immediacy of spoken communication and a message board, where people are expected to answer at their convenience often hours and days later.

Heck, even on the shout box, posters often greet each other and say goodbye.

How are you Sage?

Yeah, it's WAY worse, because there are so many other people listening, and the time is PAID FOR! Understand? Time is money on the radio, and these pleasantries are the equivalent to DEAD AIR.

Meh, I guess I'm wrong. Everyone continue calling with greetings. I don't know what I'm talking about, I am merely repeating what I have heard from dozens of radio hosts.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Hello Beerball,

Maybe you want to present some more slow thinkers to back up YOUR side of this argument? I am coming from the perspective of the hosts. They are trying to keep their shows MOVING, and THEY KNOW WHAT IS BAD FOR RATINGS. You can argue with me, but I know I'm right, and there are more examples FROM MEDIA ANALYSTS THAT SUPPORT MY STANCE.

Wow, bag. I think you could fill in for Schopp when he's on vacation. That is an incredibly obnoxious tone in your post. Do you really think everyone you are arguing with in this thread isn't smart enough to realize that an endless exchange of pleasantries might tend to throw off the rhythm of a radio show? I am pretty sure we all get that. But, as in many things in life, there are many ways to get that point across and to gently nudge your listeners along. Schopp constantly chooses the most direct, obnoxious and condescending way. And for that, he is mostly reviled. Not that difficult to understand really. Re-read Dick Drawn's post above, he pretty much nails it. I'll hang up and listen.

How are you Sage?

I guess I'm wrong. Everyone continue calling with greetings. I don't know what I'm talking about, I am merely repeating what I have heard from dozens of radio hosts.

I guess it depends on how you view terrestrial radio...I think it's a service industry (and yes, I work as a DJ/occasional sports personality). If the clerk at the supermarket gave you attitude for saying "How are ya?", wouldn't that rub you the wrong way?

Radio is a different job, but Joe Q. Listener is ostensibly your boss - no listeners, no advertising revenue, no job.

Yeah, it's WAY worse, because there are so many other people listening, and the time is PAID FOR! Understand? Time is money on the radio, and these pleasantries are the equivalent to DEAD AIR.

Calm down.

Dead air is dead air, pleasantries are white noise...not ideal, but 10x better than the on-air personality rudely telling a caller "get to the point!".

I guess it depends on how you view terrestrial radio...I think it's a service industry (and yes, I work as a DJ/occasional sports personality). If the clerk at the supermarket gave you attitude for saying "How are ya?", wouldn't that rub you the wrong way?

Radio is a different job, but Joe Q. Listener is ostensibly your boss - no listeners, no advertising revenue, no job.

If I were in line with 20 people, and the clerk was engaging in unnecessary pleasantries I would get annoyed! Not the time to talk about the weather...

Way more people listening than calling. It's not a service sector job, it is MASS MEDIA. In other words, the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few.

It's common practice to try to avert these kinds of exchanges, but people here are too caught up in "individual experience" to see how it affects the show. It's not just me. Someone find a person that works in MASS MEDIA, and get their opinion. It is DEAD NOISE, not just white noise, they are trying to get as many callers in before breaks as possible.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Wow, bag. I think you could fill in for Schopp when he's on vacation. That is an incredibly obnoxious tone in your post. Do you really think everyone you are arguing with in this thread isn't smart enough to realize that an endless exchange of pleasantries might tend to throw off the rhythm of a radio show? I am pretty sure we all get that. But, as in many things in life, there are many ways to get that point across and to gently nudge your listeners along. Schopp constantly chooses the most direct, obnoxious and condescending way. And for that, he is mostly reviled. Not that difficult to understand really. Re-read Dick Drawn's post above, he pretty much nails it. I'll hang up and listen.

"I'll hang up and listen" is another one that gets Mike's panties in a bunch. I'm dying for someone to call one day and simply say "Hi, how are you? I'll hang up and listen." Mike's head might explode.

"I'll hang up and listen" is another one that gets Mike's panties in a bunch. I'm dying for someone to call one day and simply say "Hi, how are you? I'll hang up and listen." Mike's head might explode.

LMFAO!!!

"Wow, bag. I think you could fill in for Schopp when he's on vacation. That is an incredibly obnoxious tone in your post. Do you really think everyone you are arguing with in this thread isn't smart enough to realize that an endless exchange of pleasantries might tend to throw off the rhythm of a radio show? I am pretty sure we all get that. But, as in many things in life, there are many ways to get that point across and to gently nudge your listeners along. Schopp constantly chooses the most direct, obnoxious and condescending way. And for that, he is mostly reviled. Not that difficult to understand really. Re-read Dick Drawn's post above, he pretty much nails it. I'll hang up and listen"

Yes, it appears to me that people don't understand that it's bad radio. It's not a big deal if it happens once, but it doesn't. It happens all night long. I don't even listen to Schoop, I live in LA! It's not about Schoop to me.

The hosts across the nation cringe every time, especially when there are multiple hosts and the caller greets each one. Why do you think they feel that way (not me, I'm just the messenger)? There must be a reason why it's mentioned in communications books, and by radio hosts everywhere... (is that solid reasoning?)

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Doesn't want to waste three seconds by being polite? What's his excuse for berating people that don't agree with his pompous, over-rated opinion?

Actions speak louder than words. He must have a deep-rooted inferiority complex, as he constantly reminds how "intellectually brilliant" he is.

I have not listened to those two a-holes since October 16th, and will not listen to them EVER again!

Pure silence is better than his boorish, arrogant, rude dialogue.

I am friends with someone that works very closely with WGR, and he often states that Schopp is a total ass, even to the people that work with him.

WGR has spiraled downhill ever since they began bringing over the outcasts from WNSA. Kevin Sylvester, Bob Gaughn, and Puff were the best they ever had in the morning, and the Coach was leaps and bounds better than those two jerk-offs!

I listen to WGR only when Rome is on, and sometimes to Cowherd. Their local shows all suck!

Here's to a station dedicating some serious time to Buffalo sports for an alternative. Hopefully all of the negative comments here will be relayed to WGR management, and Schopp will get canned. In the meantime, do what I have done, and simply boycott the show. Haven't missed it one minute in four months.

Edited by harv shitz

If I were in line with 20 people, and the clerk was engaging in unnecessary pleasantries I would get annoyed!

Then you are in the minority. Customer service type businesses do everything possible to engage their customers while at the same time handling their transaction in a productive manner.

Believe it or not, Suzy and the bank or Sally at the grocery store or Sagey at the mall can all do 2 things at once. They can greet you, ask if you found what you need and handle your transaction all at once. Those people are coached to do exactly what drives you nuts because focus groups show that this is what people want. When they are finished hopefully they thank you for your purchase and wish you a good day.

Then you are in the minority. Customer service type businesses do everything possible to engage their customers while at the same time handling their transaction in a productive manner.

Believe it or not, Suzy and the bank or Sally at the grocery store or Sagey at the mall can all do 2 things at once. They can greet you, ask if you found what you need and handle your transaction all at once. Those people are coached to do exactly what drives you nuts because focus groups show that this is what people want. When they are finished hopefully they thank you for your purchase and wish you a good day.

I don't consider the radio and clerk situations to be the same thing. That was another posters theory. A show host is "serving" thousands of people all at the same time, not at all like a grocery store clerk. I also doubt that the focus groups were studying occasions when customers are backed up in long lines. But you are a moderator, so I guess you know more than me.

Look at the communications book Beerball. It's a situation to be avoided, why don't you understand that?

I don't consider the radio and clerk situations to be the same thing. That was another posters theory. A show host is "serving" thousands of people all at the same time, not at all like a grocery store clerk. I also doubt that the focus groups were studying occasions when customers are backed up in long lines. But you are a moderator, so I guess you know more than me.

Look at the communications book Beerball. It's a situation to be avoided, why don't you understand that?

You brought it up, not me.

Matthews, on 04 March 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

If I were in line with 20 people, and the clerk was engaging in unnecessary pleasantries I would get annoyed!

In my book graciousness and politeness are never to be avoided.

Doesn't want to waste three seconds by being polite? What's his excuse for berating people that don't agree with his pompous, over-rated opinion?

Actions speak louder than words. He must have a deep-rooted inferiority complex, as he constantly reminds how "intellectually brilliant" he is.

I have not listened to those two a-holes since October 16th, and will not listen to them EVER again!

Pure silence is better than his boorish, arrogant, rude dialogue.

I am friends with someone that works very closely with WGR, and he often states that Schopp is a total ass, even to the people that work with him.

WGR has spiraled downhill ever since they began bringing over the outcasts from WNSA. Kevin Sylvester, Bob Gaughn, and Puff were the best they ever had in the morning, and the Coach was leaps and bounds better than those two jerk-offs!

I listen to WGR only when Rome is on, and sometimes to Cowherd. Their local shows all suck!

Here's to a station dedicating some serious time to Buffalo sports for an alternative. Hopefully all of the negative comments here will be relayed to WGR management, and Schopp will get canned. In the meantime, do what I have done, and simply boycott the show. Haven't missed it one minute in four months.

What happened on October 16th?

You brought it up, not me.

In my book graciousness and politeness are never to be avoided.

It's impolite, and definitely ungracious to waste air time, and bore people with unnecessary, off-point discussion on the airwaves. I can see you are attempting to "take the high road", and portray me as rude, but it isn't my opinion that I'm presenting, it is the opinion of the people that work in the media.

Agreed. But wgr doesn't design their on-air characters that way.

It's not just Buffalo!! It's virtually every radio host nationwide. Provincial thinking is rampant on this board.

It's impolite, and definitely ungracious to waste air time, and bore people with unnecessary, off-point discussion on the airwaves. I can see you are attempting to "take the high road", and portray me as rude, but it isn't my opinion that I'm presenting, it is the opinion of the people that work in the media.

It's not just Buffalo!! It's virtually every radio host nationwide. Provincial thinking is rampant on this board.

Ah, but we are so lucky to have worldly sophisticated types like you here to set us straight.

That's fine. Your choice to listen...or not. Doesn't change my stance.

Well, I'll listen if I can hear one second of How ya doing? Good........But, if that doesn't happen, I'm out!....Will they post if it's a manners show or not?

Hey bbb....how are you? better yet, who cares? :D

That's the point. Nobody cares. It's just a way of saying Hello. I say it when I pass people on the street way more than I say Hi.

I don't think you people get that.

Who do you listen to and like on sports radio, MB?

That's the point. Nobody cares. It's just a way of saying Hello. I say it when I pass people on the street way more than I say Hi.

I don't think you people get that.

Agreed. It shouldn't be a big deal when someone asks how are you doing or what's up. Takes two seconds.

I don't blame schopp he is just keeping with wgr Kayfabe