Levi Brown might get cut...

Found this on ProFootballTalk.com. Pure speculation but if he is cut do you think the Bills should make a play? He's a safer play than Bell who, as many have aptly noted, might command more than he's worth due to the dearth of LTs in FA. Why not pay Brown a bit more and sleep soundly at night? We could then use the 10th pick on a DE or WR. We'd also be set at LT for a while. Well, here's the article:

"Competent left left tackles rarely if ever become available in free agency. And while Levi Brown, the fifth overall pick in the 2007, wasn’t regarded as a competent left (or right) tackle early in his career, Brown has become in the past two seasons a much more consistent performer.

As he enters the final year of his rookie deal, Browns is carrying the kind of inflated cap number that will cause a team to either extend the deal and reduce the burden — or cut the player loose.

Per a league source, momentum currently is pointing toward the latter. With a $6 million roster bonus due on March 12 and an $8.3 million base salary and a $250,000 workout bonus, the Cardinals have more than $14.5 million in cap space devoted to Brown.

Several years ago, the Cardinals found themselves in a similar situation with receiver Larry Fitzgerald. The two sides worked out a long-term deal that gave the team cap relief, and that gave Fitzgerald a four-year, $40 million contract.

This time around, the smart money is on Brown being cut by March 12 and hitting the market at a time when more than a few teams have needs a left tackle."

I thought we already cut Levi Brown.

If we're gonna bring him back as an offensive tackle, I think that's a bit of a stretch. Brown is bigger and stronger than Thigpen but offensive tackle?

I don't think so.

Consider it a done deal...Ralph is so cheap, he won't even let Buddy and company waste a perfectly good name plate...must be that depression era mentality!

If we're gonna bring him back as an offensive tackle, I think that's a bit of a stretch. Brown is bigger and stronger than Thigpen but offensive tackle?

I don't think so.

:worthy: I was thinking the same thing, surprised to hear he's playing LT now; but hey, whatever it take.

I don't think so.

He might be better to sign as a WR or if he could add some weight & maybe be a TE. I wouldn't pay him more than 11 Mill\yr. LT, MEH!

The Bills are going to have to get him out of the CFL first. Just signed with Saskatchewan today.

Adam Caplan ‏ @caplannfl

Former #Bills 7th rounder QB Levi Brown agreed to terms with the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders. Colt Brennan and Drew Willy also signed.

I don't think so.

Levi Brown is a tad bit bigger and stronger at 6'6" and 325lbs than Thigpen is at 6'1" and 216 lbs. Levi also has the benefit of having started 75 of 77 games at OT while Thigpen has not played OT. However, Thigpen does hold an advantage over Levi Brown because he's already under contract so perhaps we can save some money.

:worthy: I was thinking the same thing, surprised to hear he's playing LT now; but hey, whatever it take.

He converted to Left Tackle from Right Tackle in 2010 (he was picked 5th overall in the 2007 draft coming out of Penn State). Thanks for the laughs guys!!!

Edited by biggerdaddynj

FWIW, from PFF:

21. Arizona Cardinals (25th)

Run Rank 7th, Pass Rank 30th, Penalties Rank 2nd

It’s proving to be a very slow process, but the Cardinals are getting better along their offensive line. Though Daryn Colledge failed to justify the price tag, he showed himself to be an upgrade on a line that is far better attacking defenders than it is protecting it’s quarterback. They still need more consistency at both tackle spots, but this appears a line on the rise.

Best Player: He may give up more pressure (a sack, a hit, and 18 hurries) than you’d like from a center, but Lyle Sendlein (+3.3) has shown over the past two years he’s a very capable player.

Worst Player: It’s still Levi Brown (-17.6), but it should be noted that he earned that grade for his work in the first half of the season. His last eight games actually earned a +8.9 as he finally looked like the player he was drafted to be.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/22/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-1/

I wouldn't be opposed to bring him in but at what cost? How much money will he be asking?

I don't think so.

Don't forget he was also a diva when we had him too.

Found this on ProFootballTalk.com. Pure speculation but if he is cut do you think the Bills should make a play? He's a safer play than Bell who, as many have aptly noted, might command more than he's worth due to the dearth of LTs in FA. Why not pay Brown a bit more and sleep soundly at night? We could then use the 10th pick on a DE or WR. We'd also be set at LT for a while. Well, here's the article:

"Competent left left tackles rarely if ever become available in free agency. And while Levi Brown, the fifth overall pick in the 2007, wasn’t regarded as a competent left (or right) tackle early in his career, Brown has become in the past two seasons a much more consistent performer.

As he enters the final year of his rookie deal, Browns is carrying the kind of inflated cap number that will cause a team to either extend the deal and reduce the burden — or cut the player loose.

Per a league source, momentum currently is pointing toward the latter. With a $6 million roster bonus due on March 12 and an $8.3 million base salary and a $250,000 workout bonus, the Cardinals have more than $14.5 million in cap space devoted to Brown.

Several years ago, the Cardinals found themselves in a similar situation with receiver Larry Fitzgerald. The two sides worked out a long-term deal that gave the team cap relief, and that gave Fitzgerald a four-year, $40 million contract.

This time around, the smart money is on Brown being cut by March 12 and hitting the market at a time when more than a few teams have needs a left tackle."

Nice job watching for the potential pick ups. The money thing is tough to get past but the upside for this guy makes him worth a look!

FWIW, from PFF:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/22/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-1/

I wouldn't be opposed to bring him in but at what cost? How much money will he be asking?

Golly, look who's broken into the top 5:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/

Run Rank 12th, Pass Rank 2nd, Penalties Rank 6th

Quite the turnaround for a Bills line that did a great job giving it’s quarterback sufficient time, and making life easy for their running backs. The impressive thing is how well the Bills did despite suffering a number of injuries, cutting short the breakout year of Demetrius Bell (+6.8) and forcing a number of positional shifts.

Best Player: It’s a testament to Andy Levitre (+13.3) that despite having to play center and left tackle at various points of the year that he still put forth such a strong season. One of the better left guards on the year, how good could he be if he was allowed to flourish in one spot?

Worst Player: It’s always tough to pick on a rookie, but Chris Hairston (-8.0) was the weakest of links in his 475 snaps. He didn’t embarrass himself, but such was the quality of the line that he was the only candidate for this category.

Nice job watching for the potential pick ups. The money thing is tough to get past but the upside for this guy makes him worth a look!

Thanks. Not convinced he'd be the answer but he's an option and I figured there would be others who like to cover every angle. An added benefit has been the laughs I've gotten from some of the folks who apparently actually believe this thread is about our former QB Levi Brown!!

If josh skobey can make the switch from kick returner to place kicker I don't see what's so outlandish about brown's move to the tackle slot. With his experience at the qb position, brown has a good understanding of all the protection schemes and just needs to bulk up a bit. When skobey (who was just franchised by the way) switched to placekicker he had to learn all about kick coverages along with learning how to kick.