Packers sell 268,000 shares, raise $67 million

Here's an idea...what if the Bills sell bonds to improve RWS? But unlike the Packers stock that gets you nothing but a piece of paper, you are actually buying a piece of RWS and get a dividend until your bond is paid off. The NFL won't allow fan ownership of teams but there's no rule against fan ownership of the stadium.

PTR

The public already fully owns "Ralph Wilson Stadium". It's unlikely many would buy a bond to improve the stadium--especially since the revenue the county gets from Ralph's rent would never cover the value of the bond in the lifetime of the bond holder.

actually...ALL nfl teams should be allowed to do this (sell shares)......

i look at it as a VOLUNTARY luxury tax.....those that love their team and want to help financially ....can buy these so called shares of stock. otherwise all taxpayers are forced to contribute if the politicians approve the use of public subsidies.

kind of like of the lottery..... i look at folks who buy lottery tickets as a VOLUNTARY luxury tax.

Buying a share in the Packers is more of a donation than an investment. From an investor perspective being an 'owner' of an entity via shares of stock that provide no rights to resale or profit is useless.

Although it might be extremely profitable for ownership, the NFL prohibits teams from converting to publicly traded companies. I suspect the primary reasons are control and transparency. Controlling and organizing a small group of owners with more or less common goals less complicated than dealing with 100's and 1000's of shareholders. Plus publicly traded companies are required to file financial disclosure and results documents with the SEC which would shed light on the true revenue and profit picture the NFL.

These owners want to keep the municipal and state governments (and fans and taxpayers) they are fleecing in the dark with regards to team finances while they extract huge payoffs from the taxpayers to fund their business operations....

Buying a share in the Packers is more of a donation than an investment. From an investor perspective being an 'owner' of an entity via shares of stock that provide no rights to resale or profit is useless.

Although it might be extremely profitable for ownership, the NFL prohibits teams from converting to publicly traded companies. I suspect the primary reasons are control and transparency. Controlling and organizing a small group of owners with more or less common goals less complicated than dealing with 100's and 1000's of shareholders. Plus publicly traded companies are required to file financial disclosure and results documents with the SEC which would shed light on the true revenue and profit picture the NFL.

These owners want to keep the municipal and state governments (and fans and taxpayers) they are fleecing in the dark with regards to team finances while they extract huge payoffs from the taxpayers to fund their business operations....

Considering what a scam this really is, I'm shocked the NFL doesn't endorse EVERY team to do the same! Step right up and buy your very own share of zippo.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It absolutely is a donation, and they say as much on the packer website.

A total of 4,750,937 shares is owned by 112,158 stockholders none of whom receives any dividend on the initial investment.

I would much rather see all stadium upgrades funded by voluntary donations like this than scamming taxpayers of the entire state.

In the case of the packers, they provide a stockholders only area of the website where they can purchase shareholder clothing and other items as a perk.

If there are legal issues calling it "stock" because of being privately owned, then simply call it something else.

Considering what a scam this really is, I'm shocked the NFL doesn't endorse EVERY team to do the same! Step right up and buy your very own share of zippo.

PTR

It's no scam. Everyone knows what they are doing and are doing it voluntarily. The scam is when states take your tax money to pay for stadium upgrades whether you want them to or not.

PTR

A "scam"?? How on earth is this a scam?

It's a far more honest way to pay for team expenses than charging all tax payers in the county and state for the benefit of a single private entity.

figured we needed a non RG III story.....

pretty amazing actually:

The team initially offered 250,000 shares for sale starting Dec. 6. But the allotment went quickly, with 185,000 shares alone sold within the first 48 hours. So the team made another 30,000 available. The shares weren’t cheap, costing $250 each plus handling fees of $25 in the U.S. and $35 in Canada. They’re also essentially worthless.

Packers stock isn’t like regular stock. Its value doesn’t increase, there are no dividends, it has virtually no re-sale value and it doesn’t give buyers any advantage over the 93,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets.

What buyers do get is a piece of paper declaring them a team owner and conferring rights to attend and vote at the annual stockholder meeting, which is held at Lambeau Field each summer before training camp. They also get access to a special line of shareholder apparel.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Atkv_Zl_hoLUXW_dzxs.aapDubYF?slug=ap-packers-stocksale

So 268k people have a right to attend and vote at the annual stockholder meeting? That must be quite an event...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Why would anyone buy what is essentially a worthless stock at such a high price? Whose only value is voting power within the organization (Which isn't a lot of power) and having it as a method of pride. Its also a stock that has no resale value thus you are stuck with it as a non liquid asset.

Why would anyone buy what is essentially a worthless stock at such a high price? Whose only value is voting power within the organization (Which isn't a lot of power) and having it as a method of pride. Its also a stock that has no resale value thus you are stuck with it as a non liquid asset.

I'm sure if you thought about it long enough that you could come up with some reasons.

No one is doing it for the investment value.

They are voluntarily funding stadium improvements. I commend every one of them for not wanting to leech money from taxpayers to fund it.